Wedding Jitters

The Witches of 21st Street

"Lunch is ready!" Bom announced as she put a boiling pot of beef soup on the table.


"Wah! Noona it smells so good!" I said while smelling the bowl of steaming hot stew before me.


"Why don't you eat up and try to see if it's as good as it smells." Bom chirped happily looking at me like I was some cute little kid. I admit I like the attention.

I lifted my spooned and took a sip. 

"It taste so good! Noona you cook great!" I praised her while chowing down the soup whole. The others decided to eat their meals too with the clanking of spoons the only audible sound heard.


After I finished my soup I put my utensils down and leaned against the wooden chair with a satisfied smile on my face,"Noona you could marry anyone with cooking like yours!" I complimented which she blushed to.


"She was almost married you know." the pretty Chaerin informed which got me curious.


"Really noona?" I asked.


"Um...well, it didn't work out anyway." She shyly voiced out that I wanted to ask more. I mean everybody has a story to tell, and I want to know hers.


"Oh c'mon, tell me what happened!" I whinned which got her attention. She breath in deeply before heaving a long sigh.


"Fine. I'll tell you my tale, but be informed that this one is something I don't usually want to remember."


"Got it." I assured her and so her past unwound. 

_______________________________________________________

It was the end of the 18th century and I was getting married to the upcoming politician, Dong Youngbae. He was the dream guy every maiden wanted and the son in law every mother would love to have. Except that they were all too late, he was already mine and I was the envy of everybody. Ours was to be the wedding of the year, a bond between the two famous lovers in town, or so they thought...


"Unnie the dress is beautiful on you! You look perfect!" Dara, my younger sister, complimented me as I stood up to gaze at myself at the mirror. My long white dress was expensive, specially bought by my fiance, so you wouldn't expect nothing but the best.


"It's a little sad to think I'm a bride at such an old age, isn't it sister?" I chuckled a bit as I asked her.


"Nonsense! You're charming spell is the strongest among all of us siblings, you look as radiant as you were 50 years ago!" she tried to reason which I laughed over. My beautiful sister Dara, tainted but still innocent as always.


"I can't believe I'm finally settling down and getting married to the man I love." I said disbelievingly sitting back down on the cushioned chair. I glanced at my reflection once again still fascinated that I turned my green hair brown ever since I've met him.


"I can't believe it either! But just think about it, the Youngbae that adores you so much will adore you even more once both of you are married!" Dara, you just keep encouraging me more do you? 


I shot back up from my seat and made my way towards the door which earned me a wondering look from my sister,"Noona, where are you going? You're about to get married in ten minutes!" she warned trying to prevent me from opening the door but failing oh so badly.


"To check on my groom, I want to tell him how much I love him before we get married." I softly replied with a smile as I got on my tracks to my fiance's waiting room. 


I was about to knock on the door when I heard muffled sounds coming from inside.


"Youngbae my love, don't marry her. I love and you love me right?" a female voice said panting.


"Of course I love you, I love you not her. I'm only marrying her just for show so I can win the elections later this year." a male voice, Youngbae, replied as I felt my heartbeat stop, anger filling my veins.


"Surely I would make a better bride than her!" the female voice said once again to my irritation.


"But society thinks she's the perfect wife for me , and the fact that she knows a lot of people is a sure win. She's the my shining trophy to show off as my first lady." Youngbae, my Youngbae, my knight in shining armor, how could you say those words so venomously?


I felt anger rising within in me when I couldn't take it anymore opening the door to reveal the two traitors kissing each other. They noticed me almost immediately and panicked.


"Bom, my darling, it's not what you think!" My ex-fiance tried to explain trapping my in his arms into a hug.


"Let go of me Youngbae." I hissed quietly glaring at the girl he was with. She didn't look scared at all and gazed acidly at me.


"No, I won't" he replied locking me in tighter.


"I said let go." he must've noticed by now that I'm never gonna hug him back and released me.


"The wedding's off, I don't want to see your face ever again!" I shouted furious through the loud volume of my voice,"Have me as a trophy huh? Well you can count the elections goodbye because I'll guarantee you'll never win, I'll make sure of that!" 


His panicked face changed into a calm one and answered back, "How is a little girl like you supposed to do that? I've got this city at the palm of my hands already, whether I marry you or not." He dangerously spat out, those twinkling eyes that I used to dream about were no longer there. Now, I see a stranger who is cold and unfamiliar to me. And at that very moment I realized that I didn't love him anymore, and it's all because of him.


"I could do a lot more than you think." I warned as my steps led me slowly towards him. He didn't seem feigned by my sudden closeness and remained at his spot, unmoving. My hands automatically reaching out tracing the tip of his nose to the outline of his lips,"I really loved you but...you're a monster." I softly told him when he didn't flinch the slightest, until I punched his chest, "Jerk!" 


I was pretty sure it hit him hard since he got on both knees crying to the floor, the girl trying to figure out how to help him. Don't worry, he healed eventually when I stormed out of the church-


"Wait! How come you and Dara didn't burn or something when you were inside?"


"My dear Seungri, I don't know what they teach you in school, but that is just downright nonsense. Of course we don't burn, witches don't dissolve, we tend to vanish and disappear with the wind."


"So you don't burn inside a church?"


"Tis not."


"Oh...okay! Continue."


As I was saying, he recovered from the painful punch when I stormed outside removing the spell I cast on him. I ran out of there, angry and furious in my wedding dress.

___________________________________________________________

"But of course I had to cast another spell so that he wouldn't win the elections. And he didn't. He never did." 


"Noona...you're awesome!" I praised her while the others laughed at my choice of words,"Seriously, you go girl!" I held out my hand for a high five and she high fived back.


"And that's how she ended up with us." I heard Chearin say beside me.


"She was better off without the guy!" I mocked once again sipping the hot choco Dara handed me awhile ago. (Be careful Seungri, that might not be just hot chocolate! ;D)


"Seungri you funny youngster!" Minji heartedly laughed while hitting my back again.


"Yah! Minji you're hurting the poor fellow!" Luckily, Chaerin saved me before my spine was crushed to pieces.