My Sullen Valentine

The Witches of 21st Street

So here I am. Just starring at the old wooden house before me. My name is Lee Seungri by the way, and I'm a normal high school student. Well, normal wouldn't be the exact word, but you get the idea. You see I'm here on a mission: To Know the Tale of the Witches. That's right, the house before me is the infamous quarters of The Witches of 21st Street. Kinda ironic to name them from the street number, don't you think? 


I sent them a letter yesterday (apparently they have a mail box) if I could go for a visit and when I woke up the next morning, I saw a black envelope on top of my night stand. It was just down right creepy, and still gives me the chills. Long story short, they agreed.


I walked up the front steps and banged on the ancient looking door waiting for someone to open it. I felt the strange feeling like someone was watching me and I scanned everywhere when I found a girl roughly younger than me with a weird look on her face. 'What's with her?' was my thought, but I quickly shoved it off when the door finally opened revealing a beautiful lady with green hair. Wait, green hair? That didn't seem right. And to add to it, she wore an all black attire, which I was still recuperating whether it looked medieval or just high fashion. She had a smile on her face that didn't feel whole and felt crooked, yet she still looked cute.


"Sisters! The male youngling is here!" I heard her yell.


And out came three more ladies who were all dressed similar to the one I first met. They all so look young, no older than 25. Surely these weren't The Witches of 21st Street? I had heard stories of how they were ugly looking grandmas boiling potions and casting spells on innocent people, but right now, it seems that they could only cast spells of love. Looks like they're rumors were greatly false.


I briefly scanned them for awhile trying to take it all in when I spotted the girl who watched me earlier. So she's one of them? A witch that appears in the form of a teenage girl? Very interesting.


"Come inside dear, why you're practically freezing. Let me fix you a something." The bushy haired one said and I went in hearing the door close behind me. I was still deciding whether I should worry about that 'something' when my eyes roamed the interior of the house. It looked like a total Halloween gig with all the cobwebs, old furniture, and to match it off, a skeleton. I didn't know if it was real, but then again, it's better not to know.



I turned around to face the , err, witches and introduced myself.


"Hello! My name is Lee Suengri and it's nice to meet you all!" I said happily while shaking their hands one by one. They didn't seemed faltered at all by my gesture and tried to conjure up a smile. Tried.


"We're all very delighted that you would like to know about us." said the one with her hair up wearing a furry coat.


"Well, who wouldn't be? I mean the people outside already made false stories that you all looked like really old ugly witches." I said trying to lighten the mood. Luckily, they didn't see it as an insult and laughed heartedly.


"Everyone assumes that we look like those very sickening witches on television, but we're quite human actually and look young for our age as we please." the girl with short hair who watched me earlier informed. I could only nod with the fascinating information given to me.


"Please sit down Seungri, we're just about to lunch. I would be insulted if you didn't join us." The green haired lady invited kindly. Surprising as it may seem, but I 'm starting to like them.


"Well, I wouldn't want to offend you. You might turn me into a potato!" I joked out and they were silent for awhile before laughing with me.


"Let's hope it won't again." She replied which sent shivers down my spine as I made my way to sit at the long lanky table. The green haired lady went to the kitchen place and was stirring something in the pot that smelled good. I gave a out contented smile as I remembered something when the other three made their way to the table.


"I forgot to ask all your names, how silly of me!" I cheerily implied with my jolly ways again. The bushy haired one smiled understandingly at me and began naming them one by one.


"The one cooking our lunch is Bom, the eldest." she started and then pointed to the furry coat girl beside her,"This one right here is Chaerin, second to the youngest." Chaerin nodded in a friendly way and I nodded back. Next she eyed the short haired one in front of where I was sitting,"Minji, the maknae of our family, and of course..." she trailed off as she suddenly jumped for her seat,"Me! Dara! The cutest of them all!" she said gleefully as she punched her fist in the air looking like a playful little kid. Now I seriously don't think they're witches.


"The cutest? Yeah right!" Said Minzy laughing at her sister.


"Yah it's true you know!" she argued as she sat back down. Kinda hard believe she's second eldest when she looks like a fifteen year old. When I think of it, I don't really know how old they are...


"Minzy, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?" I asked.


"My boy, in my present state, I'm supposed to be sixteen, but I'm far older than that. I'm of the wiser age of 101." she replied plainly like it was a normal thing. She's 101!? And she's supposed to be the youngest!? I gotta write this down in my notebook.


I couldn't say anything because of the shock and she chuckled at my predicament as so did the others.


"We could age with one flick of a finger if we wanted, but I chose to look sixteen since it rather quite suites me don't you think?" she asked as I nodded in affirmation.


"So, you're like vampires? You know...Twilight." I curiously asked again. They all laughed baffled by my question. Bom looked over from the kitchen and smiled at me like I was the most funniest thing in the world. "Vampires are weak compared to our magic, they stay permanent to what they look like when they were transformed. We witches can be any age we want." Bom answered the ever so 'funny' question.


"Err, so how about werewolfs?" I dumbly blurted out.


Dara made a face and answered me this time,"Oh please, those little hush puppies can't do a thing except conjure up flees!" And they shared another round of mocking laughter. I guess Jacob couldn't beat a fly compared to these girls.
Oh well, he still has abs.


"Ah, I remember back in the day where I met this fellow who sure a had a body like a werewolf." Minzy began to fantasize eyeing me vividly. "Listen up lad, because I'll tell you the tale of how I ended up with my sisters to this day. You see we're bounded for a reason which we've all encountered, lost of love. It is apparently, the most powerful of them all." she unraveled beginning to tell her story of the incident.

______________________________________________________________

It was the winter of 1960, and I was a witch in disguise going as a student in high school. Humans believed I was a mere teenager of course. I met this fine young man, his name was Daesung, and he wanted to be a journalist. We were two love birds deeply in love with each other, and besides the fact I was 34 years older than him, I still felt young. But he didn't know that until Valentines Day came...


"Happy Valentines Day Minji!"" Daesung announced kneeling before me with a single red rose bud in his hands.


"Wah! Thank you Daesungie!" I glady got the rose bud from him and gestured him to sit beside me.


"Sorry that's it's only one and a bud, but I promise when I get my money from my first newspaper article, I'm gonna buy you hundreds of flowers!" he sweetly told me while holding my hands giving me his bright angelic smile. That smile that I would never forget.


I kissed his cheeks and he blushed like a school boy.


"So it's means that they finally considered your article about World War II to be printed?" I asked him excited.


"Not yet, but they will. With you're knowledge of World War II, they'd be crazy not to like it!" He praised me like he didn't know how I knew.


"Sometimes I wonder where you get that information of yours with so much detail..." he pondered off looking at nothing in particular.


'It's time to tell him the truth about me.' My mind said and I thought hard whether to tell him or not and came up with a decision. 


"Daesung..." I started with my voice hesitant,"You know I love you right?" 


"Of course! That's why I love you just as much, if not, then more." He sweetly said once again as butterflies fluttered in my stomach. He does love me.


"Then I have a confession to make..." I nervously said trying my best not to falter,"I'm, uhm, older than you think."


He seemed confused at first then goofily laughed,"I don't care if your five years older than me or even ten!"


I fidgeted nervously with my lap and looked at him straight in the eyes.


"No you don't understand, I'm very much older than that. I'm forty years old. But see there's a reason why I look young..." I began stuttering with my words. 


"Impossible! you look very much sixteen to me!" He said baffled.


I shakily cupped his face trying to make him see the truth,"The reason why I look young despite my age is because...of magic." I said at last.


"Magic? Minji are you sick!? Is there something wrong!? Is it because I gave you a lousy flower!?" he threw me questions of confusion from left to right.


"No no no! That's not what I meant! Um, magic is like this bud," I held the bud with my left hand close to me while trying to show it to him. "Magic turns raw things like this..." I swerved my fingers in a circular motion above the tips of the bud and cast a small growing spell,"and turns them to beautiful flowers like this." The bud turned into a full grown red rose in the palm of my hands. I smiled contentedly at it and smelled it's fine scent when I felt the spot beside me on the bench empty. Daesung was now standing, hovering above my confused daze.


"Y-you're a witch! I should have never fallen for such a thing like you! No wonder you know so much about World War II, you probably lived even World War I!" he shouted angrily and left me there crying and cursing at my predicament. I thought he would really love me for who I am. But I guess false wishing never works. 

_________________________________________________________

"And so I was bound to never love again and stay with my sisters." Minji said half-happy/sad and tried to smirk at her siblings. 


"I'm sorry." I apologized sincerely and she gave me a weak smile.


"That's alright, I'm still young and living!" she joked as she hit my back repeatedly which hurt really bad. For a hundred year old granny she sure got some skills.