Destinations

Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Mia…” a voice softly called out before a hand delicately touched her shoulder, easing her from dreamland.

 

“Honey, it’s time to wake up. We’ll be arriving soon.”

 

Mia groggily nodded. Stretching her arms upwards, Mia unfolded her taught body to stretch out the kinks that usually accompanied from travelling. Thank the high heavens for business class seats!

 

Satisfied, Mia slid the screen that protected her tired eyes from the afternoon light of South Korea just in time to hear the captains announcement.

 

'Good afternoon passengers. This is your captain speaking. We are currently cruising at an altitude of 32,000 feet at an airspeed of 400 miles per hour. The time is 14:53 pm. Currently, we are experiencing some light rain but with the tailwind on our side we are expecting to land in Incheon at approximately 15 minutes ahead of schedule. The weather should hopefully clear and expect some wonderful sunlight at a comfortable temperature of 21 degrees this afternoon…'

 

Hopefully, the weather would be on our side once we arrive.

 

“Mia!” a familiar voice called out.

 

Mia turned her head towards the right where Kim-unnie was currently residing in the plane; a makeup bag on top of her lap and an empty seat beside her.

 

Mia raised her eyebrow but approached her nonetheless.

 

“How come we’re doing the prep now? I thought we were going to freshen up once we landed?”

 

Unnie nodded her head towards Haeun who was sitting a  couple of seats ahead of them, busy typing away on her laptop.

 

“Just been told it wasn’t a good idea.” she said as she started to rummage in her bag and pulling her tools out.

 

“She’s been keeping in contact with your head of security in Seoul and we’ve been told that we only have a couple of minutes in the airport before we have to leave immediately. Don’t ask me because I don’t know why.” she continued.

 

“Oh?” Mia questioned, glancing at Haeun-unnie who was sporting a frown on her face with a serious look on her face, her eyes never wavering from the screen in front of her.

 

Accepting the explanation for now, Mia got herself comfortable on the offered seat.

 

“Now what look should we do?” she questioned gleefully, her eyes glistening.

 

Mia giggled at her unnie’s excitement. “Could I just have minimal makeup today? I really don’t want to dress up.” she replied . “I already decided to wear an oversized white shirt and skinny jeans with my leather jacket. Going for the casual look.”

 

Kim slowly nodded in agreement. “Natural look it is!”

 

As she continued to look for the required makeup and tools she needed in her bag, Mia peeked over her unnie’s shoulder to glance through the small cabin window where a beautiful green landscape started to appear through the light mist as they slowly descended from the high clouds.

 

Destination: Seoul. Here I come!

 

 

After smoothly passing through the mundane tasks of airport security, collecting their luggage and going through customs; Mia and her ‘entourage’ (as she loves to call it) was assisted by her personal security towards the arrivals hall. Through the clear automatic door leading towards their destination, Mia could clearly see a couple dozens of photographers already trying to snap a picture of her as she headed their way. Holding her mothers hand with one hand and giving it a quick tight squeeze, Mia’s group stepped through the sliding doors where the buzzing media commenced to shout for her attention as soon as she appeared. 

The flashing lights and the continuous sound of clicking omitted by the camera’s had finally awoken Mia from a constant dream — she had finally arrived in South Korean soil. The country where her Eomma was born — a place which Mia could hopefully call a second home. What made it even more special was the fact that her Eomma was beside her. Sadly, the only person missing to complete this trip was her brother.

 

There will be a another time. I will make sure of it!

 

Slowly and surely, the airport inhabitants started to show looks of recognition and a mass of people started to crowd behind the photographers with their phones in tow; albeit to the irritation of some who were awaiting for their personal others arrival behind the metal bar.

Mainly consisting of young teens and some in their twenties and thirties, Mia smiled and waved towards the building crowd; receiving excited shouts in return before concentrating on the photographers at hand for press reasons. 

 

It’s amazing how a movie can break such an !

 

After doing her usual routine of poses and smiles towards the camera’s and occasionally dragging her shy mother to take a photo with her, Mia’s group was lead towards the airports entrance where she noticed a slight adjustment in the formation of her security; tightening it even more. Casually smiling towards the calm crowd which was currently following them, Mia wasn’t sure why they were taking such cautions but the environment outside was what surprised her and explained why such discretions was being carried out.

Excited screams erupted as soon as Mia could be seen. Catching her by surprise, she couldn’t help but cover with her hand in amazement. Now this, she didn’t expect.

An astounding number of people were massed outside. A handful waving placards with her name, all welcoming her in her arrival and a few showing their appreciation for her from their excited screams. 

 

Mia was astounded. Never from her previous experiences did she ever encounter this. Without hesitation, Mia began to wave towards the crowd with a wide grin on her face and without disappointment, the mass further cried out with excitement. Mia giggled and glanced at her mother who was equally surprised but smiled nonetheless and gave Mia’s hand a tight squeeze. Proudness and happiness visible from mothers eyes.

 

With some difficulty but with the assistance of the hired security, Mia was able to safely arrive in front of their van and with one last wave towards the crowd did she enter their tinted transportation with her mother in front of her and unnie’s behind her.

 

“Wow” Mia said underneath her breath once they settled in the van and slowly started to progress in the packed road. Her eyes roaming among the sea of people who were trying to follow the van by foot. Thankfully, her ‘muscle men’ - as she had decided to lovingly call them - were trying to keep people out of harms way by surrounding the van and making sure none were getting too close to the car to prevent any accidents from occurring. Once the path had cleared did thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter