Chapter 5

Raindrops Falling On a Bamboo Umbrella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

How I ended up at the eighth prince’s residence with Wang Yo and about to meet his siblings I still cannot understand. He had become less arrogant after our encounter in the forest but he was also running into my path more often than I would like. If I did not know any better, I would have assumed that he had fallen for me. How ridiculous would that be? This overbearing jerk I on-and-off again wanted to crush in my palm being interested in me. It would almost be as crazy as Minyoung having romantic feelings for me. What do I know, anyway?

I had been drying Queen Yu’s hair after her petal bath when Wang Yo showed up and told me to accompany him to see his eighth brother the next day. I did not even have a chance to protest when Queen Yu approved the idea and that was how I ended up with Wang Yo in the eighth prince’s courtyard the following day with Minyoung by my side. On the bright side, perhaps I would have a chance to meet Haesoo again and graciously accept her friendship.

 

“Why are you walking so slowly behind me?” Wang Yo asked as he suddenly stopped in his path and turned to look at me in curiosity.

 

I stopped as well and frowned at him. “Your Highness, I did not want to come but I had to. I did not want to extend my stay here in Songak but I also had to. At this point, I do not yet want to slap you across the face but with you complaining about me already, I may have to do so at once.”

 

To my right, I could feel Minyoung fighting the urge to bury her face in her palms. She knew as well as I did that by tormenting the third prince, I was digging my own grave. I only wondered how much longer it would take for him to try to bury me in it.

 

“Having you by my side is constant entertainment, isn’t it?” he chuckled before holding his hand out towards me. “Come here.”

 

I shook my head and turned to Minyoung who looked equally appalled. “Surely you do not expect me to hold the hand of a prince, do you? I do not wish to die like that.”

 

“Is it any different from slapping my face or caressing my cheek? You have touched me twice already,” he said, causing my cheeks to heat up in embarrassment. “Why is it that you fear death this time when you have my permission?”

 

“Fine!” I snapped, marching over to him as Minyoung’s jaw dropped.

 

It was probably the last thing Wang Yo expected when I snatched his hand up in mine with so much force that I accidentally caused him to topple in my direction. His left hand instinctively grabbed onto my shoulder to steady himself but when he tried to stand properly, I stopped him by wrapping my other hand around the back of his neck. He was flabbergasted as I pulled his face closer to mine.

 

“Yura!”

 

“Do not challenge me, Your Highness. If you continue to play this game of chess with me, would now not be your turn to make a move?”

 

The shock melted away from his face at that moment and was quickly replaced with an amused grin. “It cannot be… Have you fallen for me?”

 

“What are you talking ab—” I began but I paused midsentence when I realised that he was leaning in towards me and that the small distance between us was swiftly closing.

 

This cannot be happening! Is this hateful person really daring to kiss me? I need to act fast.

 

“Well, well, well. What do we have here?”

 

I immediately let go of Wang Yo and backed away the moment I heard an unfamiliar voice. In turn, he loudly cleared his throat and straightened himself before turning to the source of the voice.

 

“Lurking about like a weasel again, are we, Won?” Wang Yo sneered as my eyes darted between him and the new arrival. “Why are you here and not with our eighth brother?”

 

Wang Won was grinning when he answered. “The others sent me to come looking for you with the same question, third brother. I suppose I have the answer now.” He then directed his gaze to me as his smile grew wider. “Pretty girl, I am the ninth prince of Goryeo, Wang Won. You won’t disadvantage me by not telling me your name, right?”

 

“Lady Yura greets the ninth prince.” I stepped forward with a smile and sunk into a bow before Wang Yo had a chance to say anything. “I am Lady Yura of Chungju’s Yu clan, the niece of Queen Yu.”

 

“Ah, my third brother must have forgotten to inform me that his charming cousin was visiting,” said Wang Won with mischief in his eyes.

 

There was not much I knew about the ninth prince other than the fact that we were the same age and that he, along with the crown prince, the third prince and the eighth prince, was married. Nonetheless, hearing that compliment pleased me. Perhaps this day would not be as bad as I was expecting it to be. After all, could anyone be more annoying than

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter