Chapter 2

Raindrops Falling On a Bamboo Umbrella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Being in the presence of a queen was intimidating to say the least. Although Queen Yu was smiling at me as she brought her teacup to her lips, it was a smile that never reached her eyes. I would know since it was the type of smile that ran in the family. It was practically impossible to tell whether she liked me or disliked me but one thing was for certain – I was being completely and utterly scrutinised under her icy gaze.

 

“You are such a sweet-looking girl, Yura,” Queen Yu abruptly commented, breaking the awkward silence that had been hanging in the air between us. “I wonder if you are as sweet as you look. I often find that it is the pretty ones who are the least harmless.”

 

I had to plaster a false smile across my face whilst Queen Yu chuckled but under my table, my fists were clenched. There were many things I had prepared to counter her with but I did not dare to open my mouth and cause trouble. This wasn’t anyone I was dealing with. Growing up with a sister like this… No wonder Father is so weak-willed. Although I could not help but wonder how quickly she would end my life if I dared to step a toe out of line.

 

“When I heard that my niece is already of age, I had to invite you to the palace right away,” Queen Yu went on. “I had to meet you at least once before you were married. It was a good decision of mine.”

 

I almost snorted out loud at her last sentence but I quickly covered it up with a polite nod of my head. First impressions mattered, after all. “This humble niece of yours is most honoured, Your Highness.”

 

“There are too many princes around the palace but not enough princesses. Although you are not at that level, I feel happy that I will have a satisfactory flower accompanying me over the next few days. Looking at how sharp your facial features are, I think my brother is fortunate to have such a beautiful daughter. I also think it is a waste that you are not a princess.”

 

“Your grace is immeasurable, Your Highness.”

 

I honestly had no idea where our conversation was going but I had an inkling that Queen Yu was testing me. There was definitely a scheme between her and Father that I was unaware of but I suspected that if I paid enough attention, Queen Yu might drop a few hints.

 

“But, of course, you have not yet met any of the princes or princesses, have you, Yura?”

 

“That is correct, Your Highness.”

 

As if on cue, a tall young man stepped out from behind a fancy screen that I had not earlier noticed. I couldn’t believe he had been in the room the entire time! I was shocked and suspicious and I wanted to be annoyed at him, too, but there was a slight issue with that and that was that he was incredibly attractive.

I will not deny that I find many boys pleasing to the eye but this man was on a whole other level of handsome. He had a face that had been sculpted in the heavens and I hadn’t even realised that I had been blatantly staring at him until I heard him clear his throat. That was enough to bring me to my senses and once out of my reverie, I realised something more important than the intense gaze that he sent me. He was smirking at me and with each passing second, I felt my body set aflame…with passionate…hatred. Who did he think he was looking at like that? I vowed to destroy him the moment our eyes met.

 

Almost as if he could sense that I yearned to go up to him and kick him in the shin, he spoke, “So we meet again.”

 

“What are you talking about?” I immediately snapped.

 

Queen Yu raised an eyebrow in mixed surprise and displeasure at my rude tone before turning back to the unexpected guest who had now taken a seat at his own small table beside the queen and opposite me. “Has my darling son already met his cousin?”

 

Cousin? Brilliant, I’ve disrespected a prince. To kowtow for my life or not? To kowtow or not? To kowtow or—

 

“That is correct, Queen Mother,” he said with twinkling eyes still set on me. “Yura and I had the pleasure of meeting earlier whilst I was returning from my eighth brother’s residence. I even cleared the road for her.”

 

My mind was quickly whirring whilst I took in his words and then it dawned on me. He was the handsome stranger I accused of blocking my way! This man who twice captivated me was one of Queen Yu’s three sons and he could destroy me with a single nod of his head regardless of the fact that I was his cousin. I still didn’t know which prince he was but I had heard frightening tales of the third, fourth and fourteenth princes and with that in mind, I would definitely be punished. All I needed to know was which one he was in order to determine how severe the inflicted punishment would be.

 

“Yura,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter