Chapter 10

Raindrops Falling On a Bamboo Umbrella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Is this what a date was usually like? Wang Yo had been the one to ask me out and although I had met him on numerous occasions, I had never been alone with him for this long before. Walking beside him through the marketplace, trying various Songak delicacies recommended by him, stealing little glimpses of him every now and then, exchanging occasional pleasant words that I did not know he was capable of. He did not say very much or look at me as often as I did him but for some reason, I felt oddly shy being with him. Perhaps it was because I usually had Minyoung with me whenever I met guys.

 

“What is your favourite colour, Yura?”

 

“I like the colour blue. Whether it is the light blue that paints today’s bright skies or the faint blue that is reflected upon raindrops or even the deep blue that Your Highness is wearing today, I like them all the same.”

 

Surprisingly, this made Wang Yo chuckle but the difference was that it sounded genuinely charming without a trace of mockery in it. “The weather today is indeed very pleasing, as is your company.”

 

“Yura is deeply flattered… And yourself, Your Highness?” I asked with a bashful smile. “Which colour do you prefer?”

 

“I like orange, the colour of the burning sun. That is how I want myself to be,” he said, stopping in his path as he sent me a meaningful glance.

 

Whoa, what? Did he seriously just say what I think he said? The sun is a metaphor referring to the king! When there is already a crown prince, is owning the throne truly your ambition?

 

I was not repulsed by him, per se, but everyone always said that he was someone to be avoided. Now that I had gotten to know him somewhat and was spending such a pleasant day with him, I began to think that perhaps I was being silly. He liked to bother and tease me, yes, but was he truly evil as the stories said? I think not. He could even have been joking just now. Perhaps… Perhaps I should freely allow myself to know him without being prejudiced. Perhaps I should let myself be the judge of his character and not the rumours from unknown sources.

 

“Well, I suppose I can concur that orange is not a bad colour,” I agreed with a nod of my head before walking ahead of him.

 

But as I took the lead, I noticed that Wang Yo was not coming with me. I turned back to send him a questioning look and when I did, I noticed that he was no longer there.

 

Did he abandon me out here?! For goodness’ sake… This irritable— No, wait… I can use this chance to escape! They’ll send Minyoung to search for me and then I can meet her along the way, can’t I? Yes, yes!

 

I grinned to myself and faced forwards again in excitement but I gasped when I saw a merchant heading in my direction, desperately trying to catch a speeding wagon of logs that he had lost control of. There was hardly any time for me to dive out of the way when suddenly, I felt an arm encircle my torso and pull me out of harm’s way and then my face was met with deep blue robes. I was saved! I had been so close to being crushed by a huge load of heavy logs but I had been saved!

My heart was beating rapidly against my chest, I could hardly breathe and I really wanted to cry at the fact that I had almost died. However, my personal feelings could come later. What was more important now was for me to thank my saviour. With a trembling heart, I attempted to detach myself but instead, I felt another arm around me and in that moment, to be hugged after evading death, it was comforting. I was comforted that it was Wang Yo who had saved me, that it was him who was caring towards me, that it was him who told me: “Yura, I will always be there to protect you.”

 

I did not stay in his embrace for long because he let go of me shortly afterwards but it was enough for me. Words could not explain the gratitude I felt towards him but as I began to tell him how thankful I was and that I was indebted to him, he simply brushed it all off and avoided eye contact with me. In fact, unless my eyesight was playing tricks on me, I could have sworn that he was blushing!

 

“Your Highness, perhaps you may not know it but your cheeks are rather flushed,” I stated in a teasing tone.

 

This only made Wang Yo blush even more and he quickly walked towards one of the market stalls. “I have been too exposed to the sunlight,” he told me as he handed some money over to the vendor and picked up a folding fan. “The weather is too hot, that is all.”

 

I found myself smirking when he returned to my side and began to fan his reddening face. “Is that so? But—”

 

“But nothing, Yura!”

 

The tables were turned with me wearing the overbearing smirk and teasing him whilst he pretended that he was not blushing when he clearly was.

 

Oh, third prince, you are so fun today!

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter