Page 2

Sketching Up Heartlines

 

 

Birds of A Feather

21.2.17 / 3,008 words

 

 

The next week went by dragging and exhausting for Joohyun.

 

After travelling nine hours from west to east, she was heavily jet-lagged. Despite of how much she prepared for it, she just couldn’t bear with it as well as she wanted to. She felt groggy and cranky during the day. When the others went to bed, she didn’t feel sleepy at all. Her body was still accustomated to her London schedule and the change in time zone confused it.

 

„Irene, here is your coffee.”

 

„Thanks.”

 

Joohyun smelled the strong aroma of the drink and took a sip. The time was nine thirteen, Friday, eight days since she had arrived to Korea.

 

„You keep calling me Irene.”

 

„Hm?”

 

Junmyeon had just come back from the gym. He had the morning off but his mind was preoccupied with work needed to be done in the afternoon.

 

„You have never once called me Joohyun since I’ve arrived.” She repeated patiently.

 

„Oh really. Not even once?”

 

„No. I don’t mind it just… if you do, then I have to call you Jonathan in return.”

 

At the mention of the English name he got from his friends abroad, Junmyeon pulled a face.

 

„Please, don’t. I’ll learn to call you on your name, Joohyun. Bae Joohyun.” Suddenly, he was smiling. It didn’t mean any good. „My Joohyun.”

 

Joohyun covered her embarrassed face with the mug in her hands.

 

„It’s too early to be this corny, stop it.”

 

Junmyeon snickered before clearing his throat and changing the topic.

 

„How are you feeling?”

 

„Better. I fall asleep easier during the night. And see, some coffee and I can stay up with you guys.” She smiled, lifting her drink.

 

„I’m relieved. I really can’t stand watching you this sick.”

 

„Am I that annoying?”

 

„You know what I mean.” Junmyeon sighed, frustrated. „I wish you would have stayed in Seoul longer. I would have visited you. Heck, I would have stayed with you in your parents’ house for a few days if you needed.”

 

Joohyun thought back to the big but empty house she rested a day in before taking the train to Sokcho. No, Junmyeon doesn’t need to see that.

 

„It's fine. Whether I stayed or came here, I would be this worn out… Personally, I like it better here. I don’t have to worry about you neglecting your responsibilities and this environment is everything.” She looked out the window right next to them and her eyes widened. „Look, a hawfinch.”

 

 

 

Around a hornbeam tree close to the house, a group of birds were crowding. Junmyeon put down his own portion of coffee to watch them as well.

 

„The one on the ground, right?”

 

„Yes. How do you know?”

 

„How do you know?”

 

Joohyun giggled at their exchange of surprise before answering.

 

„Once I’ve done illustrations for a bird atlas. The hawfinch was in it, as well as other birds which reside in Korea wintertime. How about you?”

 

„You see that bird feeder up there?” Junmyeon leaned closer and stretched out his hand to point higher on the tree. „Sehun and I have been putting it out every year, with a few exceptions. We did a lot of bird watching as kids. Sehun even kept a journal of species we have seen. I’m sure mom preserved it and it's lying around somewhere in the loft…”

 

Joohyun turned her attention from the bird to the man sitting in front of her. Junmyeon silenced suddenly, his gaze fixed outside. He must be thinking of their childhood… Should she really try asking about it now?

 

In the end, the older Kim brother brought up the topic voluntarily.

 

„You must be wondering why he isn’t overseas as I’ve told you. Well, he didn’t want to go. He got the scholarship but a few weeks before his depart, Sehun had changed his mind and intended to stay. I tried convincing him. I couldn’t.”

 

Sensing her boyfriend’s disturbance, Joohyun reached out and put a hand on his. Junmyeon smiled kindly at the gesture.

 

„I’m not mad about it… but I’m confused. It’s kind of worse. Because you know what he said? I’m going just not right now. So, it’s not like his aspirations have changed. Something is holding him back. There is no way he’s going to tell me about it and it makes me go crazy.”

 

„Still, he wants to go.”

 

„Yeah. That’s a relief.”

 

„Does it affect his scholarship?” She asked, concerned. „Does his postponement cause any disadvantages for his university career?”

 

Junmyeon shook his head.

 

„No, fortunately doesn’t, either. People in charge at the Washington University are tolerant and even if they weren’t, Sehun has the grades he can be forgiven for.”

 

„Then you shall stop being such a worrywart and appreciate the time you can spend with him!” Joohyun encouraged her boyfriend with words and a gentle squeeze on their intertwined hands. „Don’t take me wrong, I understand it’s hard to be kept in dark. But on a positive note, you got him next to you. When he leaves for the US, you only see him once in a year, maybe.”

 

The man nodded.

 

„Yeah, that’s what I keep telling myself. That and that I have you next to me too, to put me back on the road if I happen to get lost.”

 

Joohyun flashed a smile at him. She was missing Junmyeon a lot over the year. It was great to be next to him again; to support each other whole-heartedly; to complete and lift each other up no matter what happens or which one of them is need of it.

 

 

 

Suddenly, Junmyeon’s eyes looked elsewhere. Sehun was coming from the gates. The youngest was covered from head to toe to shield himself from the February cold yet he looked shivering.

 

He stopped when he was in line with the hornbeam tree.

 

„I know it’s not what we have planned – "

 

„It's okay.” Joohyun interrupted before Junmyeon could finish his saying. It was unnecessary. „I don’t mind sharing. Well, basically, everything here belongs to him so the question is more like if he minds sharing anything with me… but nevertheless, I’m fine with the three of us.”

 

All the while, the boy was silently watching the birds looking for seeds in the snow or feeding from the feeder hanging in-between the branches. Joohyun examined his calmness after finishing her thought. No, Sehun might not be easy to handle but he surely isn’t in the way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The afternoon Joohyun answered a few important e-mails and finished unpacking. Since she had made sure to finish every job which connected her to London, she felt idly. She decided to wander around the house and find something to occupy herself with.

 

She didn’t have to look around long. Mrs. Jung was in the kitchen, cleaning.

 

„Is there anything I can help with?”

 

The middle-aged woman turned away from the stove with a smile.

 

„Thank you for trying to help, dear, but the cookies are already in the oven... Although, you could help eating it. They’re ready in twenty minutes. Mind to keep me company until then?”

 

„Of course, not!”

 

Once the kitchen was cleaned up, Mrs. Jung made tea and sat next to the table with two steamy mugs.

 

„Have you get used to the Korean life again?”

 

„Yes. I tried to stay Korean abroad too so I don’t have to learn everything over again.” Joohyun answered, the mug warming up her fingers wrapped around it. „It's strange how short the days feel, though.”

 

„I can see that.” The woman chuckled. „I mean, when my daughter first arrived to California she kept saying the days feel so much longer over there.”

 

„You have a daughter?”

 

Mrs. Jung wasn’t just an occasional cook to the Kim household but a charwoman employed to cook and clean regularly. Joohyun quickly became friends with her thanks to the woman’s welcoming, motherly nature but they couldn’t spend too much time together yet.

 

„I have two. The older one, Soohyun, has been studying in the US for three years and as much as I’m reluctant to let her go, I think she’s going to settle down there once she graduates… Her little sister, Soojung is living with me in Sokcho. You must have heard of her from Jongin.”

 

She didn’t but Joohyun could put two and two together.

 

„They’re dating.”

 

„Yes. Jongin is a good boy and they fit together well. I’m glad Soojung found someone like him to rely on.” Mrs. Jung faintly smiled, probably thinking of the couple before looking up, almost cunningly. „I think the same can be said about you. Junmyeon was really excited the week before you arrived, you know? And look at him now, he’s on Cloud 9!”

 

Joohyun hummed bashfully.

 

„I wanted to see him too.”

 

„I definitely understand that. Both Kim brothers are quite the catch. The older is practically a real-life Prince Charming and the younger is pretty much the spiced-up version of The Little Prince.” The charwoman cleared . „Okay, I guess I went a bit overboard with their description but I think you get what I mean.

 

Joohyun laughed out at her sudden change in character.

 

„No, I think you were pretty accurate. I don’t know Sehun too much, though. You seem like you do. How did you achieve that?”

 

„With lot of time and sweetness. That rascal is the most sweet-toothed person I have ever met, I swear… Talking about sweetness, the cookies are ready to serve! Would you go and call Sehunnie over? He will love them!”

 

 

 

Joohyun nodded and left the kitchen. She forgot to ask where she could find Sehun but fortunately he wasn’t far. The youngest Kim was standing by the window, holding binoculars, and watching the outside. He looked so immersed in the act, Joohyun was reluctant to disturb him.

 

At the end, she didn’t have to. Sehun had noticed the added presence.

 

„What is it?”

 

„Mrs. Jung said the cookies are ready to serve.” Joohyun responded before blurting out. „Is the hawfinch still there?”

 

Sehun turned her dumbfounded.

 

„The what?”

 

„Your brother and I saw one the morning. It was under the hornbeam tree.”

 

He only answered after a few seconds of silence.

 

„I don’t see it now. It might have moved on. Hawfinches aren’t so easy to detect. They’re shy and quick. It could be a different bird, too.” Sehun explained then put the binoculars down the table and passed by the girl to move towards the kitchen. „I guess, you’re feeling better if had time to look around. Good. I couldn’t stand watching you that sick.”

 

 

 

When Mrs. Jung had said Sehun is quite sweet-toothed, she was far from the truth – by the time Junmyeon came back from the office, he was welcomed with an empty plate, saved for the crumbs.

 

„Oh Sehun, come down at instant!”

 

Joohyun, who has foreseen the trouble coming, was sitting grinningly in the living room. She had a book lying in her lap but the intermezzo between the brothers was way more interesting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the last Saturday of February, Joohyun finally woke up refreshed and full of energy. She was so happy about it, she even forgot to put on a robe above her pajamas before running downstairs.

 

„Oppa!”

 

„I’m here.”

 

Junmyeon was sitting on a pillow on the ground, in front of the fireplace. He had already dressed up in a casual attire of jeans and a striped sweater, despite of the early morning.

 

Once Joohyun got closer, she could see too that he isn’t just sitting around. There were several cards lying on the ground, probably with their back up because they were all colored the same pine green.

 

„What is that?”

 

„A bird memory game. I’ve found it in the loft. I went up for the journal but eventually only came down with this… I’m fine with it though. I barely forgot anything. Can you believe that?”

 

„Hm, I’m not sure. Why don’t you put your knowledge to test?”

 

Junmyeon grinned at the suggestion.

 

„I’m so going to destroy you.”

 

Joohyun sat down opposite of him relaxed.

 

„We'll see about that.”

 

 

 

The most intense game of memory had followed for Joohyun, in a long time. She didn’t mention but that work for the atlas was years ago. She messed up awfully much, despite of her basically good memory. Junmyeon had the practice of bird watching up in his sleeve. He conquered all the rounds they played.

 

„And I won… again!” The man cheered and picked up the cards to shuffle. „One more round?”

 

„Let me take a breather first, Mr. Birdwatcher.” Joohyun sighed, disturbed by her lack of success. She got up from the ground and sat on the sofa to rest her numb limbs. „I can’t believe it. I can understand you won over me but the fact my good memory couldn’t even help me once, is devastating.”

 

„If that makes you feel better, you have just woken up. And, I might have looked up some species this morning…”

 

„You cheater!”

 

„Pre-game research is called practice, not cheating.” Junmyeon shrugged with a grin then sat next to his girlfriend. The sofa was a bit small for them so they snuggled closer. „Where did you leave your robe? You’re going to catch a cold.”

 

„I don’t need it. You’re here to warm me up.” Joohyun murmured, leaning her head on his shoulder.

 

Regardless, Junmyeon reached over and grabbed the blanket from the futon next to them. He made sure it's covering them just right then embraced Joohyun again.

 

„How about we take a nap before I defeat you again?”

 

„Sounds good to me… I mean the nap. I won’t lose another game. You should stop being conceited because it’s going to hurt to fall from that high.”

 

Junmyeon snickered, caressing her hair with a gentle hand.

 

„Bring it on.”

 

 

 

 

Joohyun woke up from the nap first. She got up from the sofa without disturbing her boyfriend's peaceful sleep. The cards were left scattered on the floor, as they had left it. She kneeled to pick them up.

 

The first card was of a small bird with a blueish-grey back and a cinnamon-colored . Chinese nuthatch, the description read. Joohyun didn’t remember this one so she probably hasn’t drawn it. On a whim, she brought down her sketchbook and a case of colored pencils and sat next to the window.

 

She was done with the outline when she heard steps from the stairs.

 

„What happened to my brother?”

 

Joohyun looked up from coloring.  Sehun had black sweatpants and a white t-shirt on. Also, he had a serious case of bed hair. She had a hard time not to laugh at it.

 

„Victory got to his head.”

 

„He won? In what?”

 

„Bird memory game.”

 

Hearing that, Sehun discovered the pack of cards resting on the table. He picked it up and brushed through it.

 

„Huh. The last thing I expected from him was coming up with this.”

 

„What is the first thing you expected from him?”

 

„Going to work or going after you.”. He stretched out on the futon, his long legs going way over its end and dangling down. „Well, the second one proved to be right, basically.”

 

Joohyun was coloring with silver silently. It wasn’t question the youngest is trying to provoke her in a way but she wasn’t about to give in and pick it up.

 

Since he only got silence in return, Sehun switched the topic.

 

„A card is missing from the pile. The pair of the Chinese nuthatch. Have you seen it?”

 

„I have it with me.”

 

Joohyun took the courage and turned her sketchbook so the other can see it. She was nowhere finished but that was beyond the point.

 

„It's… pretty neat, I have to say.” Sehun was examining the drawing sharply. „And detailed. I guess I believe now you work as an illustrator… You draw a lot of birds?”

 

Happy by the more-or-less positive outcome, Joohyun quickly nodded.

 

„Yes. I used to draw a lot of birds and seeing these pretty cards, I don’t mind continuing where I have left off. Actually, I was thinking, that I could help you complement the bird watching journal with some drawings. Oppa told me about it.”

 

It was a risky request. Joohyun didn’t have Sehun’s trust yet but she thought, she won’t gain it just like that. She has to work for it and she better starts now.

 

Sehun tilted his head to the side in wonder.

 

„Why do you think I intend to do anything with that journal?”

 

„You were watching the birds the other day. And there is always fresh food in the feeder.”

 

„Wow. Aren’t you meddlesome?” The youngest Kim smirked at her before looking away. „I’ve started rewriting the description some time ago. But it does missing some illustrations… Fine. You may help me. I might need your help.”

 

Joohyun smiled at him gratefully and showed him the sketchbook again. In the meantime, she finished drawing.

 

„I hope you’re ready with the description of this one.”

 

„Yeah. And you mixed up the es.”

 

„What?”

 

„The male has a black cap not a grey crown. Frankly, the bird you draw doesn’t exist.”

 

„That’s why we’re going to work together.” Joohyun brushed the complaint off easily. She met their eyes with a grin. „You correct me and I flavor you. Sounds like a deal, doesn’t it?”

 

The continuous talking stirred Junmyeon up. He opened her eyes slightly but otherwise, stayed curled up under the blanket.

 

„I hope, for your sakes, that you haven’t been practicing behind my back. That is cheating.”

 

„Isn’t pre-game research called practicing?” Joohyun asked funnily. „But no, we have not. I want to bring you down with my memory.”

 

„Oh, then you can nail this one. Hyung is so absent-minded it's hilarious.”

 

The girl snickered at the blunt comment. The oldest Kim rose from the sofa quicker than lightning.

 

„Oh Sehun, you take that back.”

 

„But it’s true.”

 

„That’s irrelevant. Just take it back!”

 

 

 

Author's Note

I haven't been much of a traveller so I had to look up jet-lag and such and wow, it seriously sounds so bad! If you happen to travel around nine hours, don't forget to rest a lot! If you haven't travelled a lot like me but want to (like me), don't give up. One day we're going to have a lot of time (and money TT) and travel as much as we can haha. Until then, what do you think of the chapter? Do you like how the story is going so far? Thank you for the views, subscription & comments! They mean a lot to me. Otherwise, see you next time~ (✿◠‿◠)