Page 3

Sketching Up Heartlines

 

 

Frostbitten

24.9.17 / 3,277 words

 

 

On the first day of March, Joohyun decided to make breakfast for all of them, for the first time.

 

She stepped into the kitchen somewhat giddy. She remembered how to work the stove and other basic appliances, nevertheless Joohyun felt overwhelmed at the many things surrounding her. She took a deep a breath and concentrating solely on the recipe, started out.

 

The slices of bread were already in the pan by the time the rest of the household woke up. Careful not to be spotted, Junmyeon tiptoed around the counter to give his girlfriend a surprise backhug… and a heart attack, apparently.

 

„Oh my God.” Joohyun blurted out and almost spilled the bread as she felt arms circling her waist and a cold nose burying in her neck. „You want us to die?”

 

„I found an empty bed in your room. You deserved it… What are you making?”

 

Joohyun flipped the sandwiches.

 

„French toast.”

 

„What is French about it?”

 

„The name?”

 

Junmyeon chuckled and tightened his arms a bit, affectionately.

 

„I feel honored that you make breakfast for me.”

 

„It's not just for you. Me and Sehun will eat some too.”

 

„You know what I mean.”

 

„I know… and I’m glad you do.” The girl smiled before turning the stove off and serving their food. „Just don’t get your hopes up. I bet Mrs. Jung cooks way fancier and tastier dishes for this household daily.”

 

„You shouldn’t compare yourself to her.”

 

„Right. We're clearly on different levels.”

 

Junmyeon clicked his tongue in dislike. Joohyun would have bought his act if there wasn’t a smile hiding underneath it poorly. Anyway, as amusing as it is, it’s a fact nevertheless.

 

„Did you check on Sehun?” Joohyun asked when they were already digging in the meal.

 

Junmyeon bit into a slice of toast enthusiastically. Although some bread turned out to be darker than intended, she was happy with the outcome. And fortunately, her boyfriend seemed to share her thinking.

 

„You mean, whether I checked if he’s sleeping? No.” He responded calmly. „Probably you saw him last since you were working on the journal… How is it going, by the way?”

 

„It's going well.”

 

Working together with Sehun proved to be easier than Joohyun had thought it’s going to be. The boy has tested her patience several times by giving her the cold shoulder or trying to pick up an argument about something unnecessary. However, when he was giving instructions on how to draw a species or he was quietly reading his notes, Joohyun saw another, well-hidden side of Sehun that she easily decided to like.

 

Junmyeon was invited to help by as well, however, because he had many things to deal with, had to stay out of it.

 

„We were up quite long. He must be sleeping… „ Joohyun continued before wiping with the napkin on the side. „Should I wake him up or…,

 

Junmyeon slowly shook his head and reached for the bottle of orange juice.

 

„Let him rest. Haven’t you told a second ago you were working deep into the night?”

 

„But… the breakfast goes cold.”

 

„He can always heat it up.”

 

Joohyun sank back into her seat with a nod. She looked up to her boyfriend and what she saw, made her smile.

 

Junmyeon noticed her joy and paused in eating.

 

„What is it?”

 

„You’re eating like a child.”

 

„Am I messy?”

 

„Now that you’re saying, a bit. But I thought you’re adorable, first.” She admitted before averting her eyes. She felt a blush forming on her face and she wanted to prevent it to show too much. „What is your schedule for the day? Do you have a lot of work to do?”

 

„Believe it or not, I have nothing on my schedule… because its Saturday!” Junmyeon chuckled and for the full comical effect, even threw his arms in the air. As always, his silly act made his girlfriend smile fondly instead of shaking her head. „And, since the weather is getting increasingly better, I thought we should go down to the shore.”

 

At the mention of a winter sea trip, and the possibility of spending time with her boyfriend, of course, Joohyun’s eyes doubled.

 

„Is it?”

 

„Yes. A long walk and some fresh air will be good for everyone… and you’ll finally have a chance to look around, too.” Junmyeon shared his plans before standing up. „So, I’ll go and wake up my sleepyhead of a brother. You just get ready- Don’t even bother with the dishes. Mrs. Jung comes around by noon.”

 

„You have a dishwasher, you know.”

 

„Oh, really?” Junmyeon stopped in the racks, genuinely surprised. He turned around and hummed. „How come I never noticed?”

 

Now, this was something worth of an eyeroll for Joohyun.

 

„Mrs. Jung has no idea what disaster she is saving us all from.”

 

„Well, she hasn’t tasted your cooking yet so –”

 

Joohyun laughed and stepped over to him to playfully hit him on the arm. Junmyeon escaped the last second and disappeared upstairs.

 

She followed him up to change her clothes, after she loaded the dishwasher and cleaned up the mess she had caused.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The wind was blowing strong, so close to the sea. Joohyun tightened the scarf around her neck to shield herself from it.

 

Junmyeon took their interlaced fingers and put them in the pocket of his coat.

 

„Are you okay?”

 

„Yes, of course. It’s like Brighton. When it's the sea and it's winter, its cold.” She answered, looking around in her own pocket with her free hand, relentlessly. „Ah, do you happen to have a tissue? My nose is killing me.”

 

„Sorry, I don’t think so. I just threw a bunch of used ones out in the morning… Hey, Sehunnie!”

 

The youngest of the Kims was walking behind them, keeping a close distance but leaving them in two, nonetheless. Hearing his name called, Sehun sighed and reluctantly jogged up to the couple.

 

„What is it?”

 

„Do you have a tissue?”

 

„I have several ones in my body.”

 

Joohyun muffled her snicker with the sleeve of her coat. Initially, she put it there to prevent her nose from running, but hearing the lame joke, it served double duty.

 

Junmyeon didn’t appreciate it that much.

 

„Come on. It’s not me asking for it but Joohyun. Drop the attitude and provide some, please.”

 

Sehun grimaced at the knowing tone of his brother's. Then, as dramatically as possible, stepped away from him and went around to reach the girl. He came up from his pocket with a bunch of wrinkly but clean, white tissue paper.

 

„Here you go.”

 

„Thanks.”

 

„Shouldn’t you have some with yourself if you have a runny nose, noona?” He asked, straightforward. „Or, are you dumb?”

 

„I can’t be smart all the time. But this time, I guess it’s just me being forgetful once.” Joohyun answered, unbothered. The more she was around Sehun, the more she learned how she should receive his blows.

 

When she stopped and turned around to blow her nose, she thought of how many tissues Sehun had. Apparently, he counted with the conditions?

 

Thanks to the not-that-better weather, the three of them ended up cutting their walk short and took the car into the city instead. At Joohyun’s suggestion, they stopped by a lovely-looking café to warm themselves up.

 

It was the plan, at least.

 

Before they could have stepped inside, Junmyeon’s phone rang. He walked over to answer it and when he returned, he didn’t have good news.

 

„The secretary called. Something important came up and they need my help.” He sighed. „I really shouldn’t go because it’s the weekend but –

 

„I understand. It’s important.” Joohyun smiled at her boyfriend then on the whim, kissed his cheek as well as a goodbye. „Go and be a hero.”

 

Junmyeon smiled back thankfully.

 

When he was out of sight, Sehun snorted. He witnessed the romantic scene unfold and he wasn’t the least impressed.

 

„And I thought he can’t get any cornier. Paired with you, he’s invincible.”

 

The comment found Joohyun embarrassed but she responded to it as she opened the door and went in.

 

„Being in love is a good thing. If being corny comes with it, I don’t mind.”

 

Sehun followed with one eyebrow quirked.

 

 

 

Junmyeon’s sudden leaving wasn’t the only surprise of the day. Once Joohyun and Sehun had decided on their order – they had a little disagreement about how much cake they can take -, they recognized a familiar face behind the cashier.

 

„Jongin, hi.”

 

„Hi, noona.” Jongin grinned wide. With the white, crisp shirt he wore, he looked dashing. It’s a wonder, really, why the café was relatively empty. „What can I get you?”

 

„I’d like to have a new best friend, please.” Sehun quipped in before the girl could say anything. His face was impassive but his tone showed he’s pissed. „And some tea, no sugar.”

 

„I guess someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.”

 

„I guess someone just left their friend hanging this morning.”

 

Jongin made a face.

 

„You can be such a pain in the , Sehun-a. I will make sure to put extra sugar in your tea, to sweeten your sour attitude… Please, say something, noona, or else he won’t stop with it.”

 

Joohyun blinked. If anything, she didn’t want to take any sides in the argument.

 

„Um, I’d like to have some cheesecake. With blueberry, if possible.”

 

„Everything is possible, here at The Riptide.” Jongin said wittily, even pointing at the obvious neon sign, highlighting the name of the café, behind his back. „Sehun, you eat anything?”

 

His question was unnecessary. Sehun was already walking away from the counter, towards one of the tables facing the full-length windows.

 

Joohyun looked above her shoulder before turning back to the front.

 

„He made it clear from the very first second of the trip how awkward he feels in this situation. I don’t think you have anything to do with his mood so don’t feel bad.”

 

„Well, he did call me this morning and asked me if I could keep him company as well as, I quote, keep him from third-wheeling. So, I do have something to do with it.” Jongin revealed while preparing the order. „But yeah, I don’t feel bad. He knew I’m going to work yet he tried. He’s just too headstrong to understand… What luck is, he’s going to forgive me in no time. He would never find another friend like me and he is aware of the fact.”

 

For the next couple of minutes, Joohyun lingered at the counter and watched Jongin work. She could have joined Sehun at the table but after the third-wheeling comment, she thought she better give him some space. In her opinion, she and Junmyeon weren’t that affectionate. Never handsy, for sure... Or is she just biased and a bit selfish to see it?

 

Joohyun was so deep in thought, she startled when suddenly Sehun stood in front of her again, back in his coat and simple black beanie.

 

„As ironic as it is, I got a call too. An important one. See you.”

 

„Alright. Take –”

 

Sehun was practically running outside and down the street. Joohyun could only watch it from the window, stuck halfway at reminding him to take care of himself.

 

„Noona, please, don’t tell me he got so moody he just left.” Jongin exclaimed once he became aware of his friend going missing.

 

Joohyun shrugged, to pretend she isn’t affected by it. (When in real, she was bitter she was ditched for the second time in a row.)

 

„He had something up.”

 

„So what, he left you alone? Jerk.”

 

„I’m not alone, though.”

 

Jongin smirked and wiped his wet hands in his black apron.

 

„You couldn’t even wish for a better company.”

 

Joohyun nodded confidently and taking her portion of blueberry cheesecake, settled at the closest table to the counter so she can spend her coffee break occasionally talking to Jongin and trying to have a good time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hours flew by quickly in the cozy atmosphere of the café. Joohyun drank one delicious drink after another and, when he wasn’t telling funny stories, Jongin even whipped up a hot sandwich for her.

 

Strangely, none of the brothers called… Or more like, surprisingly Junmyeon didn’t. Out of the two, Joohyun expected him to check on her. When it came to Sehun, she just hoped he is doing well whenever he is.

 

Joohyun tapped the screen of her phone wondering if she should make a call… then as quickly as the idea came, she placed her fingers back on the still lukewarm mug on the right. Junmyeon is obviously busy. Sehun is obviously a little bit fed up with her today. She just better goes home and looks into some work.

 

Settling on that, Joohyun brought her empty mug to the counter and waited until Jongin had no customer on hand so she can pay her bill.

 

The boy was surprised to see the bank notes.

 

„It's okay, noona. It's on the house.”

 

„Oh, please.”

 

„I'm serious.”

 

„Let me at least pay for the cheesecake, okay? It's expensive.” Joohyun pleaded the younger gently then without waiting for any other word of disapproval, put more than half of the notes prepared down. „Thank you for keeping me company. I enjoyed.”

 

Jongin nodded, somewhat bashful.

 

„I enjoyed, too. You’re a good company, noona… What about bringing home some cake? Junmyeon hyung would be quite thankful to you if you did.”

 

Joohyun sensed the underlying teasing tone of the sentence but other than narrowing her eyes at the younger a bit, she didn’t react to it. She took two portions of cheesecake and some slices of apple pie for Sehun (as per Jongin's suggestion) then left the shop.

 

Outside, Joohyun shivered. The temperature has dropped a lot since the morning. She buried her nose into the thick scarf around her neck and holding the small package of dessert to her chest, made her way down the street with rapid steps.

 

She hoped by the time she arrives the Kim brothers are lounging around the cozy fire of the fireplace in the living room.

 

She didn’t think for a second they came back way earlier.

 

Joohyun entered the hall panting. The quick walk she had just done warmed her up under the many layers of clothing. She was about to go to the kitchen so she can put the sweets down when she found someone yet unfamiliar coming down the stairs.

 

When their eyes met, the stranger smiled gently.

 

„Miss Joohyun, I assume?”

 

„Bae Joohyun, sir.”

 

The man walked over to her unhurried. He was wearing a comfortable set of jeans and sweater. Around his neck a pair of stethoscopes was hanging.

 

„I’m Dr. Zhang, the physician of the Kim family.”

 

At the mention of the word physician, Joohyun gasped. Suddenly she had a wrong feeling about this whole morning.

 

„What happened? I… I wasn’t informed.”

 

„There’s no need to upset yourself, miss.”. The doctor continued in a calm tone, easily sensing the change in mood. „Please, take a seat and I explain you everything.”

 

It turned out, both Kim brothers came home sick. Junmyeon first – he had a migraine at his workplace and didn’t feel good enough to stay outside. An hour later, he lied down with mild fever. Thankfully it’s just common cold that could be treated with proper rest and care in no time. Sehun, on the other hand…

 

„Sehun had a serious case of childhood asthma.” Dr. Zhang explained slowly. „His symptoms have died down severely over the years but just in case his condition worsens, I do a check up on him every year. It’s been five months since his last appointment and he was fine. I didn’t expect him to react so greatly to the weather. He's coughing quite badly and wheezes occur as well. I treated him for now and gave his medication to Mrs. Jung but he must be looked after in case more help is needed.”

 

„I will look after him. Oppa, too.” Joohyun reassured the man. She tried to sound as confident as possible. Too bad she felt her hands shaking in her lap.

 

The blazing flames of the fireplace gave Dr. Zhang's face a hue of yellow and orange. He didn’t look like an intimidating physician but a close family friend ran to help. Therefore, Joohyun relaxed instead of stiffening up when large, calloused hands covered hers calmingly.

 

„Good. I hoped you could help Mrs. Jung. She has a family on her own too, it would have been too much to do alone… Normally, when something like this happens, I stay over for the night but sadly I have a trip tomorrow.”

 

He sounded genuinely sorry. Joohyun nodded understanding.

 

„It's okay. You can entrust me with taking care of them, doctor. Thank you for your help and… I look forward to meeting you under happier conditions.”

 

Dr. Zhang smiled at him pleasantly.

 

„Me too, Miss Joohyun.”

 

 

 

 

Since Dr. Zhang told her Mrs. Jung is primarily focusing on Sehun, Joohyun visited Junmyeon first. She felt a lump in seeing her boyfriend lie under the duvet pale and uncomfortable.

 

„It’s not as bad as it looks like, I swear.”

 

„Famous last words… Nevermind, that was stupid.” Joohyun corrected herself immediately. She sat on the corner of the bed, expression tense.

 

Junmyeon sat up to be able to reach her. Careful not to pass on the sickness, he linked their pinkies only.

 

„You don’t have to feel guilty about what happened.”

 

Joohyun sighed. Sweet, caring Junmyeon, always knew how she feels.

 

„I could have called you. I could have told you Sehun was gone.” She argued quietly. „I’m such a horrible girlfriend. Break up with me.”

 

Despite of her words, Junmyeon chuckled amused.

 

„Oh, have no fear I won’t. I’ve told you, it’s not your fault. Actually, if you insist on finding someone responsible for this, that might be me. I was the stupid who dragged you two to the sea in this cold.”

 

Next to being sweet and caring, Junmyeon could be overprotective and self-blaming. Especially when he was the latter, Joohyun really wanted nothing better than assure him he is thinking it wrong.

 

However, arguing seemed pointless. Junmyeon was looking at her somewhat intensely, determined to prove his right. Joohyun tightened their linked fingers with a sigh.

 

„What’s done, it's done. The best we can do now is get you two back being healthy.”

 

„Have you met Dr. Zhang?”

 

It was a question referring to many things.

 

Joohyun nodded bravely.

 

„Yes… Do you need anything? I could fetch some food or drink for you.”

 

„I would really like to have a kiss right now. Sadly, I can’t.” Junmyeon smiled faintly at his girlfriend, the dull light in his eyes indicating he isn’t feeling well. He laid down back on the bed tiredly. „Could you check on Sehun for me?”

 

Joohyun fought down the blush creeping up on her face and went to fix the pillows under her boyfriend’s head instead. She pulled up the duvet as well and when Junmyeon closed his eyes, she brushed his sweaty bangs away from his forehead. He was burning up. It wasn’t a good sign.

 

„I’m going over to him right now.” She told him soothingly. „Please, take a rest, oppa. You don’t have to worry about anything.”

 

Just before Joohyun could have left the room, Junmyeon reached out for her hand drowsily. He planted a kiss on the back of her hand then fell into a deep slumber.

 

Joohyun walked over to Sehun’s room with a palpitating but concerned heart. Junmyeon was sicker than she has thought and... he wasn't wearing the bracelet either.

 

 

 

Author's Note

Hello guys. It has been a while, hasn't it? *sigh* I am really sorry for the sudden long hiatus I have pulled. It happened beyond my will and it took me some time until I could continue writing. Please, excuse me this once. TT The point is, I am back with a new chapter. With a really bittersweet one, actually... but you know how it goes, it's not always rainbows and butterflies. However, do not forget, this story won't be angst. Every problem can be overcome. Trust Joohyun and the Kim bros, okay? ^^ Last but not least, I would like to say thank you to everyone who has showed love towards Sketching up Heartlines. The story has gained a lot of views and subscription while I was gone and I cant be thankful enough for it. I also read the comments - will answer them soon, sorry - and just, thank you, guys. Truly. You are all so nice. ❤ See you next time~