Page 4

Sketching Up Heartlines

 

 

Honey & Lemon

1.10.17 / 3,190 words

 

 

Joohyun didn’t know what to expect upon entering Sehun’s room. She’s never had asthma herself, nor anyone in her family. What she has heard about the condition, scared her a bit. It was written on Dr. Zhang's face as well that Sehun might be over the worst part, it is still hard for him.

 

As she creaked the door open, Mrs. Jung had just woken up from a light nap. She fixed her long, black hair before standing up and clearing .

 

„Welcome home, dear. Have you been back for long?”

 

„No, I arrived half an hour ago or so. I was with oppa all the while.” Joohyun explained before taking a step closer to the bed where Sehun lied, the giant blanket pulled up all the way to his nose. „How is he?”

 

„Better. The meds are working. His wheezes are much rarer now… Can we talk outside? We shouldn’t wake him up.”

 

„Yes, of course.”

 

Mrs. Jung closed the door behind them, her expression tense. Ever since she had been here, Joohyun hasn’t seen her once anything other than youthful and bright. This discovery made her insides churn.

 

„I suppose, Dr. Zhang told you everything.”

 

„Yes.”

 

„Good. I encouraged him to, you know. You’re part of this family now and as a family, there are very little thing we hold as secrets from each other.” The older woman shared gently, her usual, cheerful nature shining up for a second.

 

Joohyun felt warmth. She thought it’s a bit early to be called family but the gesture felt nonetheless nice and she appreciated the kindness.

 

„Can I ask you something, Mrs. Jung?”

 

„Ask away.”

 

„How long have you been with the Kims? To me, it sounds like you have been with them for a long time.”

 

Mrs. Jung smiled and nodded.

 

„I started working here a little after I moved here with my family… Hm, around that time Junmyeon was fifteen, I think? Yeah, it must have been ten years or so. Sehun was exactly ten years old, then, because the boys are five years apart. „ At the memory, the woman smiled. „I can’t say I saw them growing up but I saw them mature and I think that’s maybe even more important… well, maybe not mature all the way. They can be childish regardless they’re in their twenties now.”

 

Joohyun agreed with a light chuckle. The way the two could bicker sometimes, reminded her of misbehaving puppies.

 

Mrs. Jung looked at the girl a bit differently.

 

„We can divide the work, if you want. I’m pretty sure Dr. Zhang told you some stupid story about me not being able to do the work all alone but he’s exaggerating. I helped Sehun in the past with his attacks. I can handle him. You could take care of your boyfriend.”

 

Joohyun bit her lip. For some reason, she felt like Mrs. Jung was trying to remove her from around Sehun on purpose. She didn’t like the feeling, whether it was true or not. And she didn’t want to back away.

 

„I was thinking about the same, except that you do have a family on your own, Mrs. Jung. You shall return home for the night. While you’re away, I can deal with them both.”

 

The woman sighed.

 

„Dear, that’s a lot of work. You don’t know what you’re getting yourself into.”

 

„I insist. Please, if you… if you consider me part of this family now, you must understand how I feel. Please, let me help as much as I can. Not just on oppa, but on Sehun, too.”

 

Joohyun put as much determination in her voice as she could. She wanted the housekeeper to know how serious she is about this.

 

Mrs. Jung was looking into her eyes for a long moment. Joohyun thought she is holding something back. Like she wants to say something else too but she’s debating whether she should.

„Okay.” Mrs. Jung agreed at the end. „I will spend the nights at home. But I will come and check on you all in the morning. If you get sick too, Junmyeon will be worried to no end and I think we both know that’s something we must all avoid.”

 

Joohyun nodded rapidly.

 

 

 

The afternoon passed silently. Keeping to her promise, Joohyun checked on her boyfriend from time to time. His fever remained present through the hours but it didn’t go up higher. Colors returned to Junmyeon’s face as well. Seeing that, Joohyun was unable to restrain herself from leaning down and press a relieved, fleeting kiss on his cheek.

 

Her immune system got a good training with the heavy jet-lag weeks prior. She must be invincible now, actually. Some common cold can’t touch her, she was sure about it.

 

Mrs. Jung left around eight, after cooking some and cleaning some around the house. Joohyun gave her some pieces of cake she brought home. The woman thanked her with a smile and once again reminded the girl that she is going to pay a visit in the morning.

 

First, Joohyun took a bath and changed her clothes. She didn’t know how much help she needs to give so put a blanket in each of the men’s room if she happens to fall asleep one of the places. She brewed tea to keep them warm and prepared wet towels to cool them down, if needed. Also, following Mrs. Jung directions, Joohyun refilled Sehun’s inhalator.

 

The device was tiny, it could easily fit in her palm. It was fascinating yet terrifying to think, such small thing could save someone’s life.... Joohyun drank a cup of water before going upstairs. She was getting too into this, isn’t she? Sehun might be sick but those days, when his life could be in danger, are over.

 

Well, blame it on her inexperience as a caretaker.

 

After making sure her boyfriend is sleeping soundlessly and when he wakes up, he will have something to soothe his aching throat, Joohyun settled down in Sehun’s room.

 

She’s been residing in the Kim holiday home for a month, more or less, but it was the first time Joohyun set foot in the youngest' chamber. The wallpaper was light in color, the furniture different shades of grey and black. It looked very dark and serious for such a young guy, she thought. Even the patterned carpet and throw pillows lying messily on the wide couch by the window, were of the same two colors. They do make the room look neat though.

 

A sudden, sharp intake of breath tore Joohyun out of her thoughts. She hastily put the inhalator into Sehun’s wandering hand on the nightstand. The boy inhaled some medication then just when he laid back breathing normally, did he open his eyes.

 

„What are you doing here?”

 

Joohyun took Mrs. Jung’s place on the chair placed right next to the end of the bed. She expected Sehun to dislike her intention of taking care of him. After all, he hasn’t accepted any help from her aside from the birdwatching journal.

 

„Mrs. Jung returned home to rest -”

 

„That’s not what I’ve asked.”

 

„I’m about to answer your question. Don’t be so impatient.” Joohyun chided him quietly. Sehun sounded even crankier than usual, real great. „So, in case you need anything, I’m here to provide it for you.”

 

„Distance, that’s the only thing you can provide me with.”

 

The girl bit her lip, hurt. Sehun can be so cruel sometimes, is he aware of it?

 

„Well, I will give you distance when you needed. Now, you obviously aren’t… Let me take care of you this once, okay?”

 

Sehun let out a heavy sigh and lifted a long, fair arm to his forehead. He was exhausted and weak, it was easy to see. That’s why getting worked up was unnecessary, even more hurtful, and Joohyun didn’t understand why the boy wants to hurt himself further this way.

 

She reached for the mug left on the corner of the nightstand and filled it with hot chamomile tea.

 

„Here you go.”

 

Joohyun faced silence. Sehun had fallen asleep, again.

 

 

 

 

 

As bad as it kind of sounds, Junmyeon was the best sick possible.

 

He didn’t refuse or fight. He followed orders well and rested without pleading him to do so. He didn’t even mention the load of work he must had left at his workplace, for Joohyun’s biggest surprise. (She expected no less from a workaholic like herself.)

 

There was only one thing Joohyun grew tired of dealing with – his clinginess.

 

„Just one kiss, please.”

 

On Sick Day Two, Joohyun gave Junmyeon The Very Look – which translates to you-don’t-know-how-to-give-up-do-you – but his boyfriend either didn’t see it from his feverish haze or simply ignored it, he insisted on some display of affection.

 

„Oppa.”

 

„I swear I won’t jump on you. I will stay still, like this.” Junmyeon folded his fingers in his lap and leaned back to the headrest of the bed with closed eyes. He looked so funny, Joohyun could barely hold a snicker escape from her. „See?”

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes and leaned in until their noses almost touched. At the close contact, Junmyeon’s eyes instantly fluttered open.

 

„All I did was lessening some space between us and you’re already breaking your promise.”

 

„I can’t help on myself. You’re too attractive.”

 

Joohyun gasped. Junmyeon definitely had his fever running high. He never disguised how much he adores her but saying such things were out of his ordinary. She pretended she wasn’t as affected by his words as she, in fact, was and grinned.

 

„You and your tricks, Mr. Kim... Let me tell you one thing, they don’t work.”

 

Unlike her expectation, Junmyeon didn’t retreat with a disappointed pout. On the contrary, her boyfriend made their noses touch with a triumphant smirk.

 

„No. They always work.”

 

Joohyun closed her eyes as soon as Junmyeon’s lips found hers. It only registered now, how much she missed her boyfriend physically, as well. She pressed back just as much and her heartbeat sped up when Junmyeon caressed her cheek with one hand, the other settling on her waist.

 

The scenario made Joohyun remember of dark, London nights and bright, vivid lights she saw reflecting in Junmyeon’s eyes before they kissed for the first time.

 

Joohyun’s wake up call to reality was her boyfriend’s hand sneaking under her shirt.

 

„No, you’re not.”

 

„Yes, we are… Joohyun-a, please. We haven’t been together ever since you had arrived.” Junmyeon pleaded, clearly the sickness talking. He was into the physical aspects of love but never was desperate about it. „Who knows when we get another opportunity like this? Don’t hold back.”

 

„We have plenty of time. Why rush?” Joohyun made up her mind and set back into the end of the bed with a flushing face and an unsure hand trying to fix her upper clothing. Kim Junmyeon and his quick hands… „Sober up and then maybe, we’ll be together like you want. Seriously, oppa. Now is not the time.”

 

Junmyeon stared at her for a long second then leaned his head back against the wall.

 

„You think I’m like this only because I’m sick, don’t you?”

 

„I know we truly haven’t been together… like that, quite some time ago.” She answered as solidly as possible. Being more the shy type when it came to these things, Joohyun found hard to talk. „But I also know this is not how any of us want that first-time-in-a-long-time happen. Especially not with your brother lying just next door, sick.”

 

„You need some special preparation beforehand or something?”

 

„Well, what can I say. You welcomed me with a bouquet and a feast. You raised the bar quite high.”

 

Finally, Junmyeon let go of being stubborn and chuckled lightly. Joohyun relished in the sound of it and when it only deepened, joined in.

 

 

 

 

„Omma.”

 

The first Joohyun heard the word coming out of Sehun’s mouth she mistook it for an incoherent mumble coming from a delirious dream. The boy had a pretty serious and insistent fever, not to mention he often talked in his sleep. (That’s how Joohyun got to know he’s keen on owning a dog and has a thing for girls with ponytails. Yes, awkward.)

 

But for the second time, Sehun spoke clearly and longer.

 

„Omma, are you there?”

 

Joohyun put down her sketchbook soundlessly as she understood. Her heart clenched, knowing that Mrs. Kim had died several years ago because of a long-term condition. Junmyeon mentioned her once. He didn’t say more than this and Joohyun did her best to understand. She had her parents living at the other side of the world but regardless, it was entirely different.

 

She picked up a damp towel and placed it on top of the sick boy’s forehead. Sehun let out a whimper at the touch.

 

„Omma, its cold~”

 

Joohyun smiled a little at his whiny tone. She felt uncomfortable nonetheless, that’s why she revealed her identity quickly.

 

„It’s me, Sehun-a. Bae Joohyun. Your brother's annoying girlfriend who just moved in... I’m here to watch over you. You just have to ask.”

 

Sehun blinked his eyes open. His gaze was unfocused and glazed over. Joohyun was wondering if he’s sleeping still.

 

„Noona, you’re pretty.”

 

At the unexpected, and probably not-meant, compliment Joohyun could only continue smiling. Apparently, both Kim brothers became excessively clingy when sick.

 

„Thank you, I guess. You’re handsome.”

 

It wasn’t even a lie. Sehun’s towering height, broad chest and shoulders; and symmetrical, chiseled features made him easy on the eyes. As a self-proclaimed aesthete, Joohyun liked looking at him too, when she was sure she won’t be spotted or called out for it. Art is beauty. Beauty is art. Not everyone can understand, of course.

 

Sehun’s eyes turned into crescents as a smile showed up on his lately very pale, serious face. This view Joohyun liked even more. In her opinion, people look the best when they smile.

 

„I wish I could accept you.”

 

Joohyun waited for the „but…” to come but it didn’t. She didn’t feel so happy anymore. She was unsure whether Sehun will remember this conversation when he gets better but she wanted to let him know it’s not a lost cause.

 

However, Sehun didn’t let her talk.

 

„I wish I could hate you, too… You’re such a homewrecker. You came here like you have every right to fit in and don’t apologize for it. You stay and keep reminding me that my hyung… Why are you such a likeable person? Be mean, leave me alone, turn ugly, just don’t… Why are so good at drawing? And so annoying at the same time? Why do you keep interfering? … You shouldn’t be bothered. I told you not to. Yet you keep… you keep being so… I don’t want you to be here but I don’t want you to disappear either. What is wrong with you? What is wrong with… me?”

 

Joohyun listened to the, now for sure, sick rambling frozen and strangely, touched deep within. She put aside her plans of talking for peace and remained still until Sehun finally stopped and, with slowly drooping eyelids, wandered back to dreamland.

 

Sehun could be cruel, stubborn, and cold; but those rare times he let flashes of his true personality shine through his shield, Joohyun saw a sensitive, affectionate, and overall pure boy, lost in the maze of growing up.

 

She related to that. And undoubtedly, was eager to see more of it.

 

Since the youngest had a pretty rough day – his wheezes unexpectedly returned and his sore throat healed slowly -, Joohyun decided to let him rest. She gathered her stuff one by one – the fallen sketchbook from the floor, the thin blanket from the end of the bed, a half-full bag of chips from the nightstand. While she was at the latter, she might as well grabbed Sehun’s dirty mug to bring it to the kitchen.

 

As she lifted it, however, she abruptly stopped moving, her gaze fixed on a shiny, little thing catching light from the ceiling.

 

It was a bracelet. It exactly looked like the one she and Junmyeon both had.

 

Joohyun couldn’t help but smile, suddenly feeling relieved instead of pained. She was too quick to make a judgement. Fortunately, the situation wasn’t right to act upon it so… she better turns a page and don’t press on it.

 

Glad about this thought, Joohyun went downstairs to settle down there.

 

 

After concluding she has a week or two before turning twenty-five as in the age she shall adult up finally, Joohyun built a blanket fort in the hall and lied down with her tools.

 

The British publisher she mainly worked for hasn’t looked for her since she left for South Korea. The little one-time jobs she did could keep her occupied only for a short time. And since Sehun was sick, she had no lead on how to keep drawing the missing pieces of the journal. Idling, Joohyun let her creativity flow and draw anything she felt inspired by.

 

It was almost like her hand moved on its own. From a line here and a press of pencil there, slowly a portrait of a young man appeared on paper. Then, as the outline was done, next to him appeared another. A lot shorter but none less beautiful.

 

Joohyun snorted at herself when she noticed where she was going with it. However, she didn’t want to erase the drawing either. Eventually, she started to work on the details and when that was done, continued with coloring. Thanks to all the birds she has drawn lately, she had practice with pencil drawing.

 

When a few hours later she deemed the picture to be complete, she looked it up from top to bottom once more. This must be one of her masterpieces, no doubt.

 

She was so indulged in her own creation, she almost missed the ring of the doorbell.

 

Joohyun stood up from the floor, all limbs numb. She lied on the ground too long… Who could it be? Mrs. Jung comes only the morning. Dr. Zhang promised a visit tomorrow as well.

 

Upon opening the front door, Joohyun found a girl, maybe a few years younger than her, holding a large pizza box.

 

She smiled at her brightly. Through her way of speaking, though, Joohyun could detect her nervousness.

 

„Hi. I’m Seulgi, um, Sehun’s friend. Is Sehun at home?”

 

„He is. He caught a cold.” Joohyun answered honestly. If Seulgi was Sehun’s friend, she had to know. Actually, strange she hasn’t known about it yet. It’s been days. „You can leave him a message, if you want. I will give it to him. I’m Bae Joohyun, his brother's girlfriend, by the way.”

 

Seulgi shook her head vehemently.

 

„Not necessary. I mean… I just dropped by to give this pizza to him? Please, give this to him when he’s hungry. He loves pineapples on pizza so much, it’s ridiculous… Um, yeah. Thank you, Joohyun-ssi. Bye.”

 

Joohyun stood in the doorway with a box of pizza in hand puzzled after the girl vanished into the night.

 

That was one strange visitor.

 

 

 

Author's Note

Hi everyone, it's me again~ Are you pleasantly surprised I gave you an update this fast? I hope so haha. ^^ First before anything, thank you for all your nice comments. I finally had time to read and answer all of them. (I went over the comment section twice to not miss out on a single one but in case I did, please tell me.><) I'm so glad to know you like how the story is going so far and that you're eager to know what happens in the future. Back to the current chapter, well, it is quite an emotional one. Serious too. I hope you don't find it sad though because I don't want it to come across like that... Also, I really-really hope you don't find Joohyun and Junmyeon's kissing scene racy or worse, Rated M cathegory because I tried real hard to portrait as innocent yet passionate as possible. I had to include it though, because they are adults and they are in love. (I personally love how the scene turned out. I'm such a romantic sap TT) A little disclaimer about a certain topic in this chapter - just like Joohyun in the story, I personally haven't had asthma and do not know a single person who has had. So, in case I made a huge mistake regarding to the descripton of it, please tell me that too so I can correct my mistakes. On that note, see you guys in the next chapter! If you have thoughts about this one, let me know in the comments. Subscribes and upvotes are appreciated. ♥                                                                                                                                                 ps. you might have noticed I aged down Sehun a little, from 22 to 20. It doesn't change much but for storytelling purposes, I decided to do it. I am positive no age changes happen from now on. Thank you for your understanding ^^