Page 1

Sketching Up Heartlines

 

 

Apple Pie

17.2.18. / 3,033 words

 

 

As the train stopped rumbling, Joohyun let out the breath she was unconsciously holding. Here she goes. Back in South Korea, possibly after what seems like forever.

 

Joohyun put a hand on her palpitating heart. Nostalgia and anticipation are ready to burst out of her chest but now is not the time for that. She has to gather her bags and starts her new life she was preparing so much for, with someone she has promised her heart to.

 

Just at the thought of seeing Junmyeon's charming smile again, Joohyun shuddered. If the man helping the passengers with their bags didn’t step in the last minute, she would have dropped her luggage in-between the tracks in her daydream-y state. Joohyun thanked the help and took a breath before entering the station building. She better acts more focused. No incidents should happen during such a day.

 

 

The waiting room was filled with people, either waiting for their train or their loved ones. Joohyun hold onto her bags tight while cautiously looking around. The one she was searching for was her boyfriend. They didn’t talk about it but since it was arranged she’s going to move in with him, Joohyun couldn’t think of anyone else to come and fetch her.

 

She almost jumped when a hesitating hand touched her shoulder.

 

„Welcome to Korea, noona.”

 

The voice itself wasn’t familiar at all. The appearance of the young boy, however, rang a bell. He hauntingly looked like the boy Junmyeon showed her in one of his family photos. Scratch that, he looked exactly like Junmyeon’s brother, Sehun, except he seemed taller and his hair was a lot lighter in color.

 

„Hi, Sehun.” Joohyun greeted him before letting go of her bag and extending her hand to introduce herself properly. „I'm Bae Joohyun. It's nice to meet you.”

 

Sehun looked at her hand nonchalantly.

 

„I know. Hyung told me about you. A lot. Sometimes more than what I’ve wanted to know.”

 

After waiting for a few seconds more, Joohyun let down her hand bitterly. Sehun isn’t the handshake kind of person, it seems.

 

„Do you want to grab a bite? There must be a cafeteria somewhere –

 

„I’ve eaten.”

 

„How about some coffee?”

 

„I don’t live with it.” Sehun went around her to get hold of the luggage. „Let’s go. Hyung had planned a welcoming dinner kind of thing for you and I don’t want to stand around any longer.”

 

A nice, silver Land Rover was waiting for them in front of the building. Joohyun sat down next to the driver’s seat pouting. Junmyeon didn’t lie when he said that Sehun can be a tough nut to crack. They haven’t known each other for five minutes and he’s already refusing every opportunity rising to lighten the awkward atmosphere.

 

Sehun put the bags in the trunk then sat behind the steering wheel and started the car. They departed without a word, the radio the only source of sound in the vehicle.

 

 

At the fifth minute mark of no conversation, Joohyun had enough of it.

 

„How is the house?” She asked curiously.” I asked oppa to show me some pictures but he refused every single time.”

 

Fortunately, it looked like Sehun only has a hard time with starting conversations, he is more-or-less fine with engaging in them.

 

„There was some renovation. I guess you’ve heard it was abandoned for some time.”

 

„Yes, oppa told me.”

 

„In my opinion, it was perfectly fine even without the new paint and doors and windows… but hyung insisted everything has to be top notch by you arrive.”

 

 

Joohyun lowered her gaze a bit embarrassed. That’s easy to believe. If Sehun seems like someone hard to read, his brother is almost like an open book. And if one thing, Junmyeon happens to go overboard when he’s enthusiastic about something… or someone. (She’s never going to forget that night with too much roses and expensive champagne.)

 

 

„I used to live in a one-room apartment with no kitchen. I don’t need many things to get by.”

 

„Maybe exactly this thinking is why hyung did it. You may be fine with some but he wants to give you the best. Because he thinks you deserve that.”

 

„He’s too nice.” Joohyun murmured but it was loud enough for Sehun to hear it.

 

„He is. And he won’t change about it.”

 

„But that’s not a bad thing.”

 

„It's one of the few things why I’m willing to look past by his failure at being a good brother so yeah. You can say it like that.” The younger agreed half-heartedly.

 

The snarky comment made Joohyun smile. Junmyeon had fondness in his voice when he was holding that picture. She could see a little bit why.

 

Sehun had nothing but fondness behind his words too when his brother came up, no matter how resentful he made himself to sound. It told Joohyun the brothers have a strong bond. That they care about each other, even if at least one of them is reluctant to be open about it.

 

 

From the train station, the route led through the city Sokcho. Joohyun admired the colorful houses and her stomach warned her about missing out lunch when she caught glimpse of some restaurant in the background. She took notice of everything she found interesting, planning to return another day. After all, she will be able to. She has the luxury of time for a while. That thought filled her with delight.

 

Next, they were driving by the sea and Joohyun looked out the window eagerly. The water was a beautiful dark blue, the sky calmingly azure. The sight gave her a sense of peace, like no matter what happens at that moment, everything is going to be fine.

 

Sehun probably noticed her uplift in mood because he changed the station to a pop song and slowed down the car so they have time to enjoy the beautiful view of the winter sea.

 

 

Joohyun turned to him joyfully after they had entered a woody area.

 

„This is amazing. Do you see this every day?”

 

„You mean the sea?”

 

„Yes, the sea. And the beach.”

 

„The house is a bit far from the coast so no. But we come down a lot to play when the weather is nicer.” Sehun explained. „Are you a good swimmer?”

 

It was the first time Sehun asked Joohyun anything. Fighting down her surprise, she quickly shook her head.

 

„I was taught how to swim but I’m not a really good one.”

 

„Can you stay atop of the water?”

 

„If I try hard enough, I can.”

 

The boy nodded.

 

„At least you can last until someone comes to save you. Better than nothing.”

 

Joohyun blinked. Sehun’s straightforwardness was fresh. Frankly, he could easily come off as rude. However, she thought it’s more of his way of expressing himself. He probably isn’t good with expressing himself in general.

 

 

„Isn’t it better if you can save yourself, though?” She asked instead, on an impulse. „I mean, there can be times when you’re alone, without any help in sight.”

 

Sehun cocked an eyebrow at the question while taking a turn.

 

„I don’t know. If you know you have someone to save you, it doesn’t matter, I guess… One thing for sure, you don’t have to worry about sinking or anything like that. Hyung will barely let you go anywhere alone, the overprotective he is.”

 

„He let me wander around Brighton just fine. I don’t think that’s going to be a problem for us.”

 

„You believe what you want.” Sehun shrugged before suddenly glancing at the girl next to him. „Speaking of problems, where is your bracelet, noona?”

 

At the mention of the jewelry missing from her wrist, Joohyun automatically hid her hand. It’s surprising, by the way, the other only caught that now, given the pride his brother takes in it.

 

„It’s in my handbag.”

 

Sehun clicked his tongue disapprovingly.

 

„Hyung won’t be happy if he sees you without it.”

 

„I don’t want to lose it… And it’s not like it’s an engagement ring. I’m not obligated to wear it all the time.”

 

„Alright.”

 

Joohyun looked at the boy in the driver’s seat cautiously. The tone Sehun said that sentence above was intriguing, to say the least.

 

„Would it be better if I put it on?”

 

„I don’t have a say in this.„

 

„I’m only asking for your opinion, Sehun. I haven’t seen your brother in a long time…”

 

Sehun snorted.

 

„That’s hardly an excuse… Do what you want, noona. Don’t be bothered by me or my words. I’ll make sure I won’t be bothered by you too much either.”

 

 

For the rest of the drive they didn’t talk. Joohyun rummaged through her bag for the little pink box but finally she simply closed it and leaned back in her seat. She isn’t wearing it on purpose. She has a reason and she wants to stick with it. Sehun doesn’t have to understand.

 

And about not being bothered by each other, well, time will tell.

 

 

 

 

 

It was snowing by the time the two of them made it to their destination. Joohyun buttoned up her coat and fastened the scarf around her neck for extra warmth. Sehun mentioned there is some distance between the doorway and the gate which they must take on foot.

 

„Go ahead. I’ll start getting your stuff.” The younger told before opening the trunk.

 

Joohyun stood on the side, uncertain. She was told not to be bothered but…

 

„You shouldn’t do it alone. Let’s do it together.”

 

„I called someone for help already. Just go.”

 

The girl waited for a long second hoping Sehun will change his mind. Eventually, she turned around and followed the way up to the building empty-handed, save for her handbag. She wasn’t happy about it but she figured that’s the best she can do for their relationship as of right now – willingly go with everything Sehun says.

 

 

Up the hill, the front door was open. Junmyeon was standing by the door, his expression solemn but his hands holding a bouquet trembling.

 

„Hi.”

 

„Hi.”

 

Joohyun took a step closer with a pounding heart. Junmyeon hasn’t changed much appearance-wise over a year – he looked just as handsome and neat as she found him the first time they had met during that party in the heart of London.

 

Their reunion altogether wasn’t too different from their first meeting. Despite of spending so much time together last year, sharing experiences and hearts, they were awkward again.

 

It was something Joohyun expected yet the feeling overwhelmed her.

 

„I’m… This is for you.” Junmyeon spoke first.

 

„Thank you.”

 

„How was your trip?”

 

„It was fine.”

 

„We're awkward, aren’t we?”

 

„Very.”

 

They shared a light laugh, their tension instantly loosening up a bit. Joohyun walked until they were right next to each other then gently pulled Junmyeon in for a warm hug.

 

Junmyeon hugged her back tightly with a hum.

 

„We were talking a lot over the phone but… it’s strange.”

 

Joohyun smiled and buried her face in his neck. Junmyeon smelled like sandalwood, vanilla, and home.

 

„It's okay. It’s strange for me too. But it won’t be long.”

 

Junmyeon leaned back form the embrace to examine the girls face. He cupped her cheek with a warm hand, the other settling on her waist.

 

And he just stared. Openly and long.

 

Joohyun felt her cheeks color at the gaze but she didn’t say anything either. No words were needed.

 

 

Their intimate moment was broken by someone passing through.

 

„Oops, sorry.”

 

Joohyun looked over her shoulder to see him rushing down to the gates. That’s when she remembered Sehun.

 

„Sehun insisted loading my luggage on his own but don’t you think we should help him?”

 

„I don’t think so. Jongin and he will manage.” Junmyeon argued. „Come on inside. You shouldn’t catch a cold.”

 

Just like Sehun has mentioned, there was a meal prepared in the dining room. Joohyun get rid of her shoes and outer garment, and sat to table in awe.

 

„This is…”

 

„A lot, I know. But I didn’t know what you would like to have.”

 

Joohyun carried her gaze around the enormous amount of food. There was Korean cuisine, of course, but also some British desserts.

 

Junmyeon was watching her amused.

 

„I know what you’re thinking- there is no way he cooked all of this.”

 

„Did you?”

 

„Of course, not. I wanted to serve something edible so I asked Mrs. Jung to take care of it… Are you disappointed?”

 

„Yes.”

 

Joohyun giggled at the crestfallen face her boyfriend reacted with.

 

„I’m just kidding. I know you aren’t a good cook but well, I’m not one either. I appreciate you saved us by hiring help. There is nothing wrong with that.”

 

„You don’t sound too convincing.”

 

„I mean it.” She emphasized before narrowing her eyes a little. „Don’t be so doubtful, oppa.”

 

Junmyeon chuckled.

 

„You don’t have to get yourself worked up. I was joking, too… It's nice joking around with you again. I was missing our banters.”

 

Joohyun's mild annoyance immediately vanished and a kind smile appeared on her face. They were apart so much, she almost forgot how much they used to fool around.

 

 

Just then, the door opened. Sehun and Jongin brought in the last of the bags.

 

Hearing the noises, Junmyeon stood up and walked over.

 

„If you’re finished, you should come to eat.”

 

„I’m not hungry. I’ll pass.”

 

„Sehun.”

 

Junmyeon’s voice sounded firm. Jongin let out a breath and put an arm around his friend’s shoulder.

 

„Come on, Sehun. There’s apple pie, too.”

 

Begrudgingly, but the youngest finally joined the table as well. Joohyun, who has heard the conversation thanks to the open hallway, was happy to see Sehun once obeyed.

 

„Thank you for helping with my luggage.” She spoke up as soon as all of them was seated. „You really shouldn’t have.”

 

„No, that’s the job of the men in the house. I mean, I don’t live here but pretty close.” Jongin, who Joohyun identified as a family friend, told. „You didn’t have much, by the way… Did you really come from England, noona?”

 

„Yes. I was living there for two years. I couldn’t bring everything I’ve wanted this time around but anyway, what matters to me, I have now.”

 

„Do you mean Junmyeon hyung?”

 

At the remark, the one named almost choke on a bite. Joohyun was lightly embarrassed too but after getting such a cold shoulder from the younger Kim, she was relieved someone is making efforts to get on friendly terms with her.

 

„Yeah, him too. But I was talking about my art supplies and my notebook in the first place.”

 

Jongin chuckled at the joke, nodding. Even Sehun, who was paying more attention to the pie in front of him, smirked a little.

 

„Irene is a freelance illustrator.” Junmyeon took on the topic. „She’s drawing and painting for magazines, books, and advertising.”

 

„Wow~”

 

„Oppa makes it sound cool but it’s quite a simple, relaxed job.” Joohyun explained bashfully. She always becomes timid when Junmyeon talks so proudly of her. „What do you want to be, Jongin? Are you working right now, perhaps?”

 

„Well, right know I’m just running errands here and there. I want to apply for a university next semester so I’m preparing for that.”

 

„Which university?”

 

„K-ARTS.” He smiled. „I want to be a ballet dancer.”

 

It was Joohyun’s turn to be impressed.

 

„Wow, now that is cool.”

 

„It isn’t that much. He’s jumping around in stockings.”

 

Junmyeon sent a warning look to his brother but it was unnecessary. Jongin rolled his eyes at his friend good-naturedly. Obviously, he was used to the teasing.

 

„If it wasn’t so comfortable to jump around in, believe me, I would wear actual pants.”

 

„…and it's not like you wear pants at home on a regular basis, Sehunnie.” Junmyeon added leisurely. „You have no right to judge.”

 

Sehun gasped at his brother’s statement. He hastily turned to the only female at the table but then turned back just as quick, eyes trained on the tablecloth.

 

„Hyung.”

 

Joohyun concentrated on the sweet taste of apple in , not to let a snicker pass through her lips. The comeback was funny but she didn’t want to seem mocking to Sehun so she held back.

 

Jongin didn’t. He kept teasing his friend throughout dinner, dropping more awkward habits and secrets of Sehun. Towards the end of the meal, Sehun even threatened Jongin their friendship is over if he continues any longer.

 

 

After such a filling dinner, Joohyun felt her suppressed tiredness surface with full power. Once Sehun and Jongin left for the former's room, she grabbed the bag she kept some necessities in and returned to her boyfriend determined.

 

„Please, show me my room before I pass out on this expensive carpet I’m standing on.”

 

Junmyeon snickered and leaned down to kiss her forehead.

 

„Ah, I was missing this slightly unabashed, but also adorable side of you too.”

 

Joohyun bit her lip, her heartbeat picking up.

 

„Is there anything you didn’t miss about me?”

 

„Yes, plenty. But let’s talk about them tomorrow. It would really be a shame if I had to pick you up from this expensive carpet.”

 

They went up to the first floor together. Joohyun thought she will be directed at a room but it turned out, there are a lot of rooms to choose from.

 

„I need time to get used to this.” Joohyun hummed once she washed up and got under the covers in a room with flowery wallpaper. „And a map.”

 

Junmyeon was sitting at the end of the bed, listening.

 

„I don’t think you will need that much time… About the map, I can ask Sehun to draw one for you.”

 

„Hm, okay.”

 

Her feet were growing warm under the duvet. The pillow under her head felt super soft compared to the hard cover of the seats on the train. As the seconds went by, Joohyun got the more and more sleepy.

 

Junmyeon noticed her silence and drooping eyelids. He reached out to pull the blanket a little higher then brought his hand to her girlfriend's face gently.

 

„Goodnight, Irene.”

 

Joohyun could only murmur back, almost inaudibly.

 

„Goodnight.”

 

 

 

Author's Note

...and with this, Irene's adventure in the Kim household begins~ haha. Thank you for all the interest you have shown in this story! I will do my best so I can live up to that. ^^ Next chapter probably will come sooner than this one. First chapters are always somehow hard for me to write. Once I am done with that, I'm usually quicker with updates. Sorry for the wait & thank you for your patience!  The layout of the chapter is made by me, you can buy it for 2 karma points here if you want to. Otherwise, see you next time~ (✿◠‿◠)