The Daeyang Moon Festival

My Guardian... Demon?

“I can do all of this myself, you know,” Haneul pouted as she sat in front of her vanity, brooding as Sandeul repeatedly ran her brush through her freshly washed and blow-dried hair. A week had passed like a dream, as Haneul fantasized about the festival and the wonderful, romantic time that she was sure to have with Baro; however, when the day had finally come, she had become a nervous wreck. Haneul had never been on a date before, and she had no idea how to act, or what to expect, or what the rules were. She had hoped to channel some of the nervous energy into her preparations, but Sandeul had charged in her bedroom with supplies in hand, insisting that he would use his skills to make her look like a princess. Unable to refuse the frustratingly persistent boy, she had been relegated to merely sitting idle as he worked his magic, leaving her at the mercy of her anxiety.

“I know you can,” Sandeul huffed, pinning some of her hair to the top of her head while he got busy arranging the strands into a simple but elegant up-do, “but this is a very special night and I want you to be as pretty as you can be so you can sweep Baro off his feet! He won’t know what hit him! He’ll be kissing the ground at your feet!” His enthusiasm managed to draw a smile onto her face, and she could not help but feel good about herself as her image changed slowly in the reflection of the mirror. Sometimes she hated that Sandeul had such an interest in cosmetology and fashion design, but on the other hand, she wasn’t sure where she would be without him; she was certain that his skills were far superior to hers, and she would not look nearly as stunning if she had taken on the task herself.

“I think you’re exaggerating. Baro isn’t the type to kiss the ground at anyone’s feet,” she laughed at the dramatic statement, and he grinned at her as he spun her around and cemented the look with a heavy dose of hairspray.

“Are you doubting my skills?” he gasped in mock offense, putting a hand over his mouth.

“Of course not,” she mused. “You’re the master. I bow before you,” she laughed and bowed her head, causing him to panic.

“Ah! Wait, wait! It’ll fall like that!” he cried as he hastily righted her, and they both fell into a fit of giggles as a large chunk of her hair flopped down in front of her face. “I wasn’t finished yet, dammit!” he sighed, shaking his head as he fixed her hair. Haneul remained obediently still as he finished the look, and she was certain that he doused half the bottle of hairspray into her hair, but when she turned around, the simple look took her breath away. Two braids ran across the side of her head to join the elegant twisted braid resting at the top, and he had attached a little flower barrette to it, making it look like a white flower was pinned into her hair.

“You really are a master,” she breathed in awe, and she saw Sandeul grinning smugly in the reflection, basking in her praise.

“Yes, yes, I know. Now, let’s get to work on that face!” he beamed devilishly as he whirled her around, and began covering her face in foundation. So excited to see the finished product, it was torturous for Haneul to remain still, and Sandeul scolded her numerous times for shifting and attempting to sneak a peek at the progress in the mirror. After what seemed like an eternity, he finally set all the brushes down and whirled her around so she could see her reflection.

“Is that… Really me?” she murmured as she leaned forward, turning her head this way and that. The girl in the mirror certainly did not look like her, as she was stunningly beautiful. Sandeul had brought something out of her that she did not realize she had, and she found herself tearing up with gratitude.

“Agh! Don’t cry! Your mascara will run!” he squeaked and hurriedly dabbed the corners of her eyes with a tissue. He then smiled widely, hugging her as he propped his head on her shoulder to admire his handiwork in the mirror. “That’s my beautiful Haneul. She just needed a little encouragement to come out, but she’s always been there,” he whispered, and she leaned her head against his.

“You’re the best friend a girl could ever ask for,” she smiled happily.

“I know. All right, girl, let’s get you in a dress! Time’s a-wastin’!” he demanded as he clapped his hands impatiently, and within fifteen minutes Haneul was standing in front of her full-length mirror, turning from one side to the other as she assessed her look. They had decided on the blue dress that Baro had liked so much, back when Sandeul had taken her on a pick-me-up shopping spree and the demons had ended up tagging along. She wondered if he would remember that day like she did. Sandeul sat on the edge of her bed, nodding in approval. “Yes, yes, yes!” He grinned ecstatically. “It’s perfect!”

“Thank you, Sandeul,” she chuckled as she turned around and opened her arms for a hug. He sauntered over to oblige, planting a kiss on her cheek.

“It was nothing. Gotta look out for my girl,” he beamed down at her.

“Do your girlfriends ever get jealous of how you treat me? Is that why you can’t keep one?” she laughed teasingly.

“I could care less if they get jealous or not, because you aren’t going anywhere,” he smirked and poked her in the nose. “And I can’t keep one because they’re more interested in a little below the belt, if you know what I mean. Why is it so hard to find a cute, innocent girl that just wants me for my heart?” he whined as he flopped dramatically into her vanity chair.

“Hmm, well, if that’s all they’re interested in, they’re really missing out on what you have to offer. I’m sure you’ll find a nice girl,” she reassured, and he grinned appreciatively at her. Before either of them could say anything else, they heard the echo of the doorbell from downstairs. Haneul heard Sandeul’s mother cheerfully call, “Haneul! Your date is here!” and instantly she went into full panic mode. “I can’t! I can’t! I’m so embarrassed!” she wailed and bee-lined to hide in her closet.

“Oh, hell, no! I didn’t just slave away for two hours for you to decided to go into the closet!” Sandeul barked and wrenched the door open, dragging her out. “You march your pretty down there and greet your man like a real lady!” he laughed as he pushed her out her bedroom, down the hall, and began marching her down the stairs.

“But what if he doesn’t like it?” she whispered. She could hear Baro and Sandeul’s parents chatting idly.

“Haneul, if this man doesn’t like it, I will personally kick his thug up and down the block and then some,” Sandeul snorted, but despite his attempts at joking, she felt increasingly nervous. Slowly, Baro’s form came into view, standing in the entryway of the house. He looked very handsome, dressed in some nice pants and a button-up shirt, a stark change from his usual scruffy style. He perked up as he spotted her descending the stairs out of his peripheral vision, and her heartbeat accelerated rapidly as he turned to face her, sliding his hands in his pockets as he looked her over with a dumbfounded look on his face.

“You look… Absolutely gorgeous,” he breathed with a shy smile, slowly walking forward to meet her at the bottom of the steps. Haneul was highly certain that her face was burning red, and she just bashfully looked down at her shoes.

“Thanks… You look nice, too,” she mumbled in embarrassment.

“Okay kiddies! Have a nice time!” Sandeul beamed as he shoved his head between them, wrapping his arms possessively around her. As Baro shot him a look, Sandeul smiled wider. “Be safe, don’t do drugs, if you hurt my girl I will find you and end your life in the most painful way possible <3”

“Sandeul!” she laughed and shoved him off, and Baro looked slightly unnerved as he hesitantly slid an arm around her shoulders. “Don’t mind him; he’s just teasing. Right, Sandeul?” she reassured with a pointed look at her best friend. He just shrugged and winked at Baro before giving them a wave and bouncing back up the stairs. Haneul said her polite goodbyes to Sandeul’s family before they exited the house and stepped out into the cool autumn night.

“That was a lot more intense than I thought it would be. Sandeul actually did look like he would kill me,” Baro exhaled deeply as they left the house behind, strolling casually down the sidewalk.

“Well, he is a bit protective of me. We’ve been best friends for as long as I can remember. He’s like a mother hen,” she giggled. “He’s harmless, though. He’s got way more bark than he does bite.” Baro smirked at her, pulling her close to him now that they were alone. As her side brushed against his, she felt electricity dancing through her body, and the color rising to her cheeks.

“Hmm, I think this is far enough,” Baro decided as they reached the corner of the street, and before Haneul could inquire, he scooped her into his arms like a bride and unfurled his dark wings, taking off into the air. As the wind stole her breath away, all she could do was sit there mouth agape as she grabbed tightly onto him. The city receded below them, becoming a blue of concrete and autumn trees as they flew towards the clouds. Street lamps, house lights, and car headlights twinkled like stars against a colorful sea, and just like the first time the demon took her into the air, Haneul marveled at its beauty.

“You could have warned me, you know,” she scolded as she finally turned to face him. He was smirking at her, face close as he held her tightly.

“It’s always funny to see your reaction, though,” he retorted, and she just rolled her eyes at him and glanced back down at the ground. The cityscape was giving way to the beachfront, where a winding line of white sand marked the border between the dark ocean and the oceanside resorts. The boardwalk, normally just a bland construction of dark wood, was alive with color as stringed lanterns swung gently back and forth in the breeze, and crowds of people clustered together on the wide street-like construct to partake in the array of booths that had been thrown up for the occasion. They spiraled down onto and empty dock far from prying eyes, and as he gently set her down Haneul paused to breathe in the salty scent of the ocean and feel the cool breeze on her face. “You like the ocean?” he inquired.

“Yes, very much,” she answered without hesitation, smiling at him. “When I would get frustrated, sometimes I would walk out here and just sit on the edge of the dock, listening to the waves and staring out at the boats coming into harbor. It reminds me that there’s a much bigger world than just here, just waiting for me.” He nodding in understanding, then smiled cheekily and slid her hand in hers.

“Well, while we’re here, might as well enjoy what this town has to offer, right?” he smirked, and before she could comment on his bold behavior he was pulling her along the dock towards the festivities. Long before they reached the actual event, the air was singing with the sound of conversation and laughter and music. Various mouth-watering scents mingled with the salty spray, indicators of the rich delicacies to come. Vendors shouted at the passersby, advertising their souvenirs and games and food with gusto. Children ran through the throng, playing with toys and wearing masks, while young couples huddled close together as they walked along, and old men sat at the alcohol booths talking of days gone by.

“Well, what do you want to do first?” he inquired. Haneul was truthfully quite unsure, as there was simply so much to do that it was almost overwhelming. She pursed her lips slightly as she thought, her eyes scanning the nearby attractions, and her eyes landed on a ring-toss game.

“Oooh! How about that one?” she suggested, pointing to it. Baro led her over, frowning slightly as he surveyed the premise of the game. “I want to play, sir!” she called to the vendor, fishing money out of her purse. Sandeul’s parents had given her a generous allowance for the night.

“I could’ve paid for that,” Baro pouted as she handed over the money, receiving three rings in return.

“Sandeul’s mother and father gifted us the money. They wanted us to have a good time. I think it wrong not to use it,” she responded as she stuck out her tongue and flung the ring, frowning as it bounced off and landed at the vendor’s feet. “This is much harder than I imagined,” she huffed, squinting as she tossed another ring. It swirled about the neck of a bottle before flinging off, much to her disappointment.

“Here, let me try,” Baro asked, and she handed the ring over obediently, anticipating that she would likely fail on her third attempt. He tossed the ring, almost lazily, and it dropped almost perfectly onto a bottle. “Heh. Not bad for my first try, eh?” he smirked proudly and picked out a prize. It was a little teddy bear, and as the vendor handed it over to him he squeezed it experimentally. “Whatcha think? What should we name it?” he mused.

“That’s one fat teddy bear,” she snickered. Indeed, the brown bear was round like a ball.

“He’s not fat. He’s just big-boned,” Baro protested, covering the teddy bear’s ears as if to protect it from Haneul’s insults. Both of them fell into a fit of giggles, and after they wandered away from the ring-toss booth, Baro held out the bear for her. “Here. Have the fat teddy bear.”

“No, you won it, fair and square,” she refused.

“I won it for you, stupid,” he grinned and bonked her on the head, making her cry out. As she rubbed her head tenderly, she snatched the teddy bear from him, making him snicker.

“Fine. I’ll take the fat teddy bear,” she snorted, but underneath her false attitude, she was genuinely overjoyed. She tucked it securely under one arm, squeezing it happily as she allowed Baro to take her hand once more. Feeling daring, she entwined her fingers with his; thankfully, he made no comment to her bold move, and they wandered along the boardwalk partaking in the various events. After a few more games and nibbling at some confections, Haneul spotted a large crowd gathering at a small vendor’s stand. “Hey, let’s go check it out!” she beamed and pulled the demon over, and stood on her tip-toes to try and see the commotion. However, she could barely peer over the heads and shoulders in front of her. Abruptly, she shot up, and her view was clear; she glanced down to see that Baro had hoisted her onto his back, arms wrapped over her legs.

“Hey, I didn’t ask for a piggy-back ride!” she cried, mortified.

“You wanna see or not, shorty?” he smirked up at her, and she bopped him on the top of the head with the bear, making him laugh. Every time I make a bold move, he does something crazier! She huffed as she straightened up, peering over the crowd. The source of the commotion was in fact a simple cotton-candy vendor, except he was not so simple after all; he was weaving the sugar strings into fantastic shapes, like flowers and hearts.

“Wow!” she beamed, relating the scene back down to the demon.

“I’ve always wondered what cotton candy tastes like,” he noted.

“Baro, you’ve never had cotton candy?” she cried, almost offended. “Let me down; we can get in line,” she stated, but was confused when Baro tightened his grip on her.

“Nah. Stay there,” he answered as he planted himself in the line.

“I have two good legs I can stand on, you know,” she frowned deeply, simultaneously embarrassed and giddy.

“Yeah, I know, they’re nice legs. That's why I like holding them,” he grinned lewdly up at her, and she squeaked as he ran a finger up her calf.

“Don’t do that!” she wailed, squirming on his back.

“All right, all right, stop! I’mma fall over!” he shouted as he tottered back and forth, almost knocking a man down. The stranger muttered under his breath about “Damn lovebirds” before stalking away.

“You deserve it! ert!” she shouted back and beat him over the head with the teddy bear again. “You didn’t even apologize to that man! Shame on you!” she scolded while laughing.

“Stop hitting me with Fatso! He doesn’t deserve such mistreatment!” Baro laughed as he righted himself, adjusting her position on his back as they moved forward in line.

“I don’t recall naming him Fatso,” she frowned as she wrapped her arms around his neck. She resigned herself to the situation that she would be given a piggy-back ride until Baro decided he was tired of it.

“Well, that’s his name. Or maybe we should call him Short Stack, after you?” the demon sneered.

“I am not short. I am just vertically challenged,” she sniffed haughtily.

“Oh, you’re challenged, all right,” Baro responded snidely, and they continued to banter back and forth until they reached the front of the line. They settled on one shaped like a crescent moon, in honor of the festival.

“You two had better hurry, now. The fireworks will start soon,” the vendor warned as he smiled brightly at them.

“Ooh, fireworks!” Haneul beamed, glancing around. Indeed, most of the visitors had settled down on the edge of the boardwalk or in chairs at various booths, staring out at the ocean as they waited for the fiery display. Baro huffed, handing the cotton candy for Haneul to hold while he carried her through the crowd attempting to find a nice spot. They walked for a good few minutes before they arrived at an empty dock, far from the crowd. “Hey, are you sure this is a good spot?” she frowned as he lowered her down to the wood. Snatching the candy and ripping a big chunk away, he plopped down on the edge of the dock, his feet dangling over the water.

“What? Don’t trust me?” he mused, then peered at the cotton candy in wonder. “, this is good,” he observed as he went in for another bite.

“Hey! Don’t hog it all!” she cried as she sat down next to him, and he obediently held it out to share. As she pulled away a large piece to pop it into , she smiled brightly at him. “This is really fun.”

“Yeah. More fun than I’ve had in a long time, that’s for damn sure,” he smiled warmly and looked out at the ocean as a whistling sound filled the air. Abruptly, the sky became alive with color, and Haneul’s eyes went wide as the colored sparks filled her vision. The dark sky danced with blues and greens, reds and whites, yellows and oranges as the fireworks shot through the air, exploding with magnificence across the black canvas. She was transfixed, and she was barely aware of Baro’s hand finding her waist to pull her close to him until she felt him pressing against her. She pulled her gaze away from the explosions to look at him, and found his face more transfixing than the fireworks. Illuminated by the bright colors, he had never been more mesmerizing in her eyes, and all she could do was stare. “Hey, Haneul?” he asked quietly.

“Huh?” she responded dumbly, unable to form cohesive thought as she gazed into the depths of his eyes.

“That girl was telling me that this festival celebrates a story about two lovers. Is that true?” he asked her.

“Yes. It’s a love story between the moon and the sea,” she explained, casting her gaze back to the ocean. “The moon goddess was confined to the stars by the god of the sky,” she recalled, “but she was deeply in love with the god of the oceans. It’s a very long story, but in the end, they triumph over hardship and true love prevails. I have a copy of the myth, if you would like to read it,” she offered, turning back to him. The look on his face told her that he was not the least bit interested in reading the myth, but something else entirely. Her heart began to pound in her chest as he leaned forward slightly.

“True love, huh?” he murmured. “I wonder what that feels like.” He had that look in his eyes, the one that made her mind swim and her heart beat and her stomach flutter. Everything seemed to fade into the background, the swishing waves, the popping fireworks, the colorful sky, as they leaned towards one another, as if drawn by magnets. Haneul was captive to his gaze, and she felt it was piercing right through her, peering into the innermost feelings of her heart.

“I think… It feels a little something like this,” Haneul whispered as he closed the distance between them, and she felt something explode inside of her as their lips met. Happiness bubbled inside her, and something else too, something she could not describe but could only imagine could be love. As they kissed, illuminated by the light of the full moon and the colors of the exploding fireworks, Haneul felt more at peace than she ever had been.

We can triumph over anything. Dong-woo, Baro’s curse, my pain… As long as we have each other, there is nothing we can’t defeat.