Chapter 6

Traveling To Fate

 

MIKA POV

I was preparing a new class assignment grudgingly in our dorm room when I heard a knock on the door.  I stood up, stretching my legs first and then went to open it. Dongmin was at the door.

“Hey Dongmin, what’s up?” I asked him, moving back so he could walk inside.

“Ah, I just wanted to talk to you. You know, see how you were and stuff. “I smiled at him.

“Right, because my life is oh so fantastic and juicy huh?”  He laughed and sat on HyunMi’s bed.

“Well you and HyunMi’s lives seem to be tons more interesting then the latter of people around here. “ He said coyly with a smile.  I nodded my head. He had a point, being in classes with SHINee members did have some way of making your life different from others.

“Well, how are things going for you?” I asked him. He looked down at his hands, tracing the lines in his palm.

“They are going. I don’t know what else to say. I’m kind of missing home. “He replied, the tone in his voice taking on a sad longing. “Things are so different here. I love it, but I miss my friends and I miss the food and the language. Of course finding Spanish cuisine and culture is kind of slim in South Korea.” He added with a smile.  

So the guy was homesick. I felt bad for him.  I went over and sat on the bed next to him.

“¿Estás bien?” I asked him if he was okay, smiling, hoping the language would cheer him up some.  He looked over at me and smiled.

“Estoy triste.” he replied with a grim face.   He’s sad; it made me feel a bit sad. Here HyunMi and I were, running around mouthing about SHINee and we were kind of forgetting about our friends in the process.

“Well what can I do to cheer you up?!” I asked him brightly.  He looked at me with thoughtfulness in his eyes.

“I don’t think there is anything you can do.” I rolled my eyes.

“Oh come on Dongmin! Work with me here. There has to be something that can cheer you up and make you laugh. We can even go visit someplace, or play a game…anything. “I tapped my foot on the floor.

“Well…-he started.

“See I knew there was something!”  I said cutting him off. “What is it?”

“We can do anything?” he asked me, the corner of his mouth tilting up.

“Yes anything. “ I said nodding my head.

“I want to cook. I want to cook Spanish food.” He replied.  I wrinkled my nose in surprise.

“If that’s what you want, let’s do it.  There is a kitchen in the dorm hall. We can go grocery shopping and pick the items we’ll need up.”  We got our coats and bags and set off on a journey to the grocery store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HyunMi POV

I was a bundle of nerves waiting for Taemin at the main entryway. Most of the students had gone home besides the ones that were in study groups or tutoring classes.  I paced slowly, back and forth.  Despite my nerves about SHINee, I was also anxious to look at the letter YiWan had written me. I couldn’t figure out why his mood had done a 180 as it did. He was so against me, so cocky, rude and then he was kind and apologetic. I couldn’t figure out what it meant. I flipped the envelope over and over again in my hands. Maybe it was an apology for his behavior thus far. Maybe it was a love confession. Wait! Didn’t he say something to Taemin about asking me on a date? But that was just a joke right? Ugh! I can’t figure this guy out.  I shook my head and sat down on a bench. I decided I didn’t want to wait and who was he to tell ME when I could open a letter that he gave me! He’s so bossy! I was close to ripping open the flap when Taemin appeared in front of me.

‘Noona, hey!” he said sitting down beside me. “What’s that?” he asked looking curiously at the letter.

“Oh, this? Something YiWan gave me. I don’t know what it is though.   I’m not allowed to open it until I get home.” I told him nonchalantly, rolling my eyes.  Taemin nodded his head and scrunched his eyes like he was trying to figure something out.

“Well you seem really curious about it-“he started…

“Do I?! I’m totally not. HAHA!  I don’t CARE what this thing says?! It could say anything and I won’t care because Eliot YiWan is the most annoying person on the face of the earth! That guy, he thinks he can treat me bad and then smile and act all nice and have me…accept his apology! I don’t trust him…if I could fail him, he would fail. He gets a huge fat F!”

“Taemin, this is your teacher?” I heard a foreign voice say behind me. I turned around and there was SHINee’s manager, and placed beside him, the remaining members of SHINee. HyunMi you are making a name by constantly embarrassing yourself. I thought to myself. I always had perfect timing.

“Manager-nim, yes this is her. Everyone this is HyunMi my student teacher from the states. HyunMi, meet the other members. “I looked at them feeling really embarrassed and then looked down at my shoes.

“Nice to meet you all…” I said meekly.  Thank goodness Onew broke the awkwardness.

“Hey HyunMi, I’m Onew, this is Jonghyun, that’s Key and this is Minho. We wanted to meet you because we meet all of Taemin’s teachers.  Also Taemin-shii said you were a fan and he talks about you a lot. “He said nodding his head and smiling. His dark brown hair was combed straight and angled so he had a bang almost covering his eye. He looked really pretty.  “Let’s do a greeting for her.” He suggests and the members nodded instantly and stood in line.

“Hello! We are shining SHINee!” they said in perfect unison.

AHHH their introduction is so cute in person! Oh my godddd!!!!!! CUTE!!

“I don’t talk about you that much noona, don’t worry.” Taemin said.

“Yeah he does, almost to an annoying extent.” added key with a roll of his eyes. I scrunched my nose up at him.What’s his problem?

“I hope Taemin is doing really well?” their manager asked me. I shook my head back to reality and became professional as possible.

“Taemin is doing well, he struggles on some things but with more practice and dedication I’ve no doubt he’ll get past it. “ I said smiling at him. He smiled back at me.

“Good, I’m thinking we are going to be really busy within the next few months, starting this week and Taemin might have to miss a few classes. So I wanted to talk to you about private tutoring. “I nodded my head.

“Yes umm, I believe the school can set you up with one…I don’t know if you looked into that…..“ I trailed off. Then I realized he didn’t want school tutors. He wanted me to do the tutoring.  So I finished the thought. “Umm, I don’t know if that’s actually allowed within the program I’m apart of...I-“

“Well it wouldn’t be a part of the program.” He started, cutting me off. “You could think of it as a paid job.  Come to the dorm maybe twice a week and tutor him for a few hours. “I sighed.  Did I really want to do this? I’d have less time with friends and more work under my belt. Psh of course I want to!  I looked at Taemin, and he gave me a smile.

“Sure, I’d be glad to tutor Taemin privately. He’ll pass his next English exam with 100%, I guarantee. “Their manager nodded.

“Good, well I’m going to go make some phone calls. How about we give you a ride back to your dorm hall?”

“Oh no, you don’t have to do that.”  

“It’s fine, besides I need to get all this settled today, so you might as well come. “ He stalked off with his cell phone in tow. I looked at the guys and they looked back. How awkward…say something HyunMi!

“Are you fluent in Korean?” Minho asked me in a deep voice. He was tall and his dark eyes reflected his deep voice.

“Yes I am.  You know what’s funny; my best friend student teaches your English program Minho.” I said smiling. His eyes widened.

“The girl…Mika?” he asked me and I nodded my head enthusiastically.

“What’s she talking about?” Jonghyun asked cocking his head.

“Oh that English class I take, there is a girl that helps the class and she is her best friend.” Taemin smiled.

“Perfect! You guys can both tutor me! The more help the better.” Taemin said picking up his bag.

“Whoa, she’s my teacher Taemin, yours will tutor you and Mika will tutor me.” Minho said satisfyingly.

“It would be easier if we were tutored at the same time though. “ Taemin said as we started walking to the van. 

“I want a girl to tutor me.” Jonghyun said lowly while we walked outside.

“Why? You have me. I know plenty of English.” Key replied.  I looked at him and smiled. We’d been speaking Korean since Minho asked me could I speak it. So I dared ask Key a question in English.

“Really, what’s your favorite food?” I asked him. Key looked at me in somewhat of surprise and then a smile touched his lips.

“My favorite food is uhh, what it is called…..steak!” he said responding slowly. 

“Then why aren’t you tutoring Minho and Taeminnie? Jonghyun asked.  Onew laughed.

“Mine is Chicken.” He said in understandable English, with a huge smile. I smiled back at him. He was too cute.

“Yah! She asked me! Stop trying to show off. ” Key said, climbing into the van before he made a face.  Jonghyun followed him, then Minho and then Taemin. Onew gestured at me to get in before him.

“Oh no, you can go. “ I told him.

“It’s okay, ladies first right? My members forget their manners sometimes. We are rarely around girls.” He said laughing. I laughed at that and got in the van. Onew climbed in and sat beside me. Taemin was on my other side.

Wow, Onew’s sitting really close to me. Oh my god, I can feel the heat of his skin! Oh my god, I have to gain control of myself!

“Can we open a window? Or turn on the air conditioner?” I asked politely, as the car rolled off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MIKA POV

Dongmin and I had gotten everything we needed for our dinner.  We sat in the kitchen and finally a yummy aroma was rising from the stove.

“I didn’t know you could cook Dongmin!” I said picking up a piece of carrot he had just chopped.

“There is a lot people don’t know about me.” He said throwing carrots in his stew. I picked up another carrot. “You are going to eat all the ingredients!” he said shaking his head.

“Sorry but I’m hungry!” I told him.

“We’ll be eating soon enough!” he said back, and started humming to himself. I watched him as he cooked. Dongmin was tall, dark and handsome. I wondered why he didn’t have a girlfriend and if he really didn’t like HyunMi.  I decided to play a little devil’s advocate and find more information.

“So HyunMi’s been all over the place lately. I think that guy in her class, YiWan is frazzling her.”  I narrowed my eyes and studied his reaction. He looked normal and nodded.

“Yeah she told me about him. He obviously likes her. “I widened my eyes.

“You think?” I asked him.

“Sure. HyunMi is pretty and smart and friendly, what’s not to like.” Aha! I’ve got you.  He ladled soup into bowls and sliced two pieces of bread and sat down opposite me.

“Now you can eat! I thought you were going to eat my fingers or something. “

“Haha! Well human limbs do look good when I’m starving.” I joked with him. We sat in quiet for a bit, sipping soup.

“This is really good! I’m impressed Dongmin.” He glowed.

“Really you like it? Thanks! I haven’t cooked for anyone before. I was kind of nervous. “

“You were nervous about cooking me soup? Of all people. “He smiled. “ So anyways, back to HyunMi... I don’t think her and YiWan should date. “

“Why not?” he asked.

“I think there is someone that would go better with her.”  I said slowly, looking at him.

“Oh yeah, who is that guy?”

“I think you’d be perfect for her Dongmin.” I said brightly, plain as day.  He coughed on his soup and then wiped his mouth.

“Me, why me?”

“Well you said she was pretty and stuff and so you like her too then?” I added casually.

“No I don’t like HyunMi.” Dongmin said sitting back in his chair. My brow wrinkled in confusion.

“But you’ve been acting strange around her and always wanting to talk to her.”

“Yeah, but that’s because I wanted to ask her if she could possibly tell someone I like them for me. I was too shy to do it. “I looked at him in shock.

“Wow, I had it all wrong. You like someone?! That’s so cute! You should definitely just tell her!” I said happily.

“Really? You think so?”

“Yes…just blatantly tell her, don’t be afraid.” I took another sip of my soup.

“I like you Mika.”  He said, staring me in the eye. I froze with the spoon to my lips.