Chapter 2

Traveling To Fate

I opened my eyes wider so I could attempt to see more of the dorm. It was incredible to say the least. Massive in size and the architecture on the outside was 20th century modern contemporary. I don’t know how long I stood there staring at it, but it must have been awhile because when I turned to Mika to ask her did she think it was beautiful she was sitting on one of her suitcases looking at me with pure annoyance.

“Umm, HyunMi…” she started waving her hands at me; like I was in a daze “Do you think you have been staring at the building long enough? I mean, it would be nice to see what it looks like inside!” she said standing up straightening her shirt. I gave her an apologetic look.

“I’m sorry ok? It’s just; I am so thrilled to finally be here! It’s so amazing! Finally we are here!” I exclaimed while looking at the sky and turning in a slow circle. “Stop trying to ruin my moment of appreciation and wonderment ok?” I added, looking at her while frowning. She smiled, rolled her eyes, got her suitcases and began to trudge toward the building’s doors lowly muttering.

“Stand out here for an hour-“her voice trailed off as she disappeared inside the building. I giggled, jeez she was moody today. I’m guessing the long plane flight didn’t help though, not to mention we hadn’t eaten anything since we got off the plane. Not only that but we had a lot of trouble finding the building.

I picked up my bags and was thankful we sent our heavier luggage and belongings ahead before we left the states. Trailing behind Mika I smiled to myself and trailed away in my thoughts. I know I’m going to love it here, I mean, how many people would want this opportunity to help others and learn something valuable like thi- my thoughts were cut off as I clashed into what felt like a brick wall.

“Oh no, I didn’t mean to bump into you! I’m sorry about that.” A deep voice said and a pair of hands reached down to help me up. I took them gratefully, brushed myself off and looked up. Wow, he’s really good-looking, is he an exchange student too? “Hi, my name is Jummun Dongmin, I’m so sorry about knocking you down.” He looked at me with a very shy, but sincere apologetic face.

“It’s ok; I wasn’t paying attention being honest, I was sort of lost in my thoughts.” He looked at me with an unsure expression. “It’s okay really, I’m not harmed and no I won’t call the police.” I said smiling at him. His face broke into a smile as then. “I’m Laila HyunMi, nice to meet you Dongmin."

“Nice to meet you too HyunMi, um, can I help you with those?” He asked pointing at my luggage.

“Uh, sure, thanks so much. That’s nice of you!” I said, genially grateful because my luggage was really heavy.

“It’s the least I could do.” He said flashing me another shy smile and reached for a bag and a suitcase. We walked the rest of the way to the door and I held it open for him as he walked inside. When I got inside I saw Mika talking to two pretty girls, one was eating a piece of chocolate and the other was holding a coffee drink. She saw me come in and ran over to me excitedly.

“There you are what took you so long to get in here! Look at this place, its amazing.” Mika said in amazement. I smiled; just a few moments ago she was annoyed at me for being too wowed.

“Mika, this is Jummun Dongmin. “ I said nodding my head towards him.

“Hi! Nice to meet you Dongmin, I’m Miyata Kitamura, but you can call me Mika. Are you in the program too?” He set my things down slowly.

“Yeah, I am. This is actually my second year in the program. I’m in the language department teaching Spanish and Portuguese. “He replied, smiling and nodding his head.

“Two years? That’s awesome. You speak 3 languages fluently then…Portuguese, Spanish and English? Wow.” Mika said. “I’m part Mexican and I also speak Spanish. Where are you from?”

“Yo soy de Brasil. ¿De dónde eres?” he replied in Spanish. It was a good thing Mika was my friend and spoke a lot of Spanish around me, or I would have had no idea that he had just said he’s from Brazil and wanted to know where she was from.

“Soy de los estados, mi mamá es de Mexico.” She answered. “I’m also in the language program. Actually HyunMi is too. We’ll be teaching English this semester.”

“This place really is amazing.” I said while looking around. The interior had Joseon and contemporary inspiration. I noticed the two girls that Mika were talking to earlier began walking towards us.

“Annyeong, my name is Lee Yoojin!” one of the girls said. She was bright and cheerful and had a very warm smile. “Welcome to Korea HyunMi. Mika already told me you guys are from the states. Song Jin Hye here and I are your dorm neighbors... We’ll be sharing the bathroom of course since our rooms are connected by it. Oh, and I already met Dongmin, nice to see you again.” She said to him. Dongmin smiled and gave her a light wave. She was very outgoing and I instantly liked her.

“Annyeong Yoojin and JinHye, nice to meet you!” I said giving a slight bow. “We stay on the 4th floor right? We’re suitemates, that’s really cool. I don’t spend hours in the bathroom so don’t worry.” I said smiling. JinHye smiled back. She was quiet and seemed very thoughtful, but I could tell she was nice.
“So when did you guys get here?” I asked everyone as we walked towards the elevators.

“Well, I got here 2 days ago.” Dongmin asked as he pressed the button with a number four.

“I got here two days ago as well.” Yoojin said as she ran her fingers through her hair. “That’s how I met Dongmin here. He and his roommate helped me move some stuff around my room. I’ll be teaching Math.” Mika and I nodded our heads.

“I got here yesterday.” JinHye replied. “This is my first year in the exchange program, I’m a little nervous. I’m in the vocal department.” She added looking at the elevator screen as it changed to floor two.

“You sing? I think that’s really nice. I wish I could sing.” I told her adjusting the bag over my shoulder.

“You can dance though chica!” Mika said happily. “Oh my god, you guys have to see HyunMi dance sometime! She’s brilliant!” I smiled at them as they look at me with impressed expressions. Ah, gee thanks Mika...I really owe you one don’t I? I thought sarcastically while giving her a look. I could dance a little, but I was very shy about it. The elevator reached the 4th floor after what seemed like an eternity. We followed Mika and JinHye to our room. When we got there, Mika took out the set of keys the hall adviser had given her and unlocked the door. We walked inside and I smiled. All of our huge boxes of belongings had already arrived and were waiting to be unpacked. It was really so gorgeous inside. The room maybe larger then an average 12 ’X’ 19 dorm room because there was so much space and it had Pergo flooring. We had beds as well, modern paneled twin beds made out of rich dark oak with matching desks and drawers. Our window overlooked a fairly nice view of Seoul. Mika and I stood in the middle of the room quietly taking it all in with shock. Dongmin, JinHye and Yoojin cracked up.

“Well, do you guys like it?” Yoojin laughed again. I shook my head and thought, what in the world? Our dorms at our university weren’t this nice at all. Nowhere near this nice. This was like luxury.

“Do we like it?!” I said is awe. “This is amazing, I can’t believe this, and it’s like some fancy private boarding home or something.” I looked around the room. There was so much space even with all our boxes!

“Look!” Yoojin said taking my arm and guiding me to the bathroom. The bathroom wasn’t long and narrow but wide and somewhat spacious. It also had a dark oak theme. I noticed a door on the opposite end. “That door leads to me and JinHye’s room, since we’re suitemates!” I nodded my head; I was still in disbelief at how nice our room was.

“Well, I have to go now ladies.” Dongmin replied. I had forgotten he was carrying some of my luggage.

“Omo, I’m sorry! I forgot to take those from you.” I walked over to him and took the bag off his shoulder. “I’m sorry about that, thanks so much for carrying them.” I said, and he laughed.

“It’s okay really. I guess I’ll talk to you girls later right? I only live a couple of doors down.“ He replied as he walked backed toward the doorway. “See you later!” Then he turned and left the room.

“Bye Dongmin!” we called after him.

“Well isn’t he so cute?!” Yoojin said smiling. Mika laughed and opened a box.

“I’ll let you guys know now, I’ve only spent one day with Yoojin but I can already tell you she’s boy obsessed.” JinHye said as she sat on a chair at desk. Yoojin smiled and rolled her eyes.

“Yah, I’m not boy obsessed!” She laughed and JinHye shrugged her shoulders. Mika and I began the hard part of unpacking and decorating our room. JinHye and Yoojin helped us as well. An hour and a half later we were finally done and I was sweeping the floor up. Mika was relaxing on her bed and Jinhye and Yoojin were lounging on mine.

“Ok, maybe I am boy obsessed.” Yoojin blurted out into the silence with a thoughtful face. We cracked up.
_________

We were at a hall meeting in the meeting hall, waiting to get our assignments and figure out what schools and classes we’d be assigned too. There were so many students all over the place, lots of chatting. The meeting hall reminded me of a high school cafeteria, except it was larger, there was no kitchen and there were huge long tables, comfy chairs, couches and mats all over the place. This room had a lot of character to it, I liked it a lot. Mika, JinHye, Yoojin, Dongmin, his roommate Michael and I all sat together at a table eagerly waiting for our assignments.

“Omo you guys, I am so nervous about this.” I said quietly and JinHye smiled and gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. Where the hell is our programs manager, I’m dying waiting like this! I thought to myself.

“I know, I am so nervous too. “JinHye replied. “I want my students to like me.”

“It’s not so bad after the first day when you do the introductions.” A voice said warmly. We all looked up to see a small girl that looked to be about 16 smiling over us with a cool expression. “This is my second time in the program and from my experience its fine after the first day.” She said nodding her head as we looked at her. “OH! Duh!! My name is Lee Min Yeon, nice to meet all of you.” She added quickly bowing.

“Anneonghaseyo MinYeon! ” We said in unison. A girl came walking up behind her and waved at us.

“Hi, I’m Lee Ji Woo! I’m MinYeon’s roommate, and this is my first year.” MinYeon also looked to be about 16 and she was also pretty with a friendly smile. They both sat down at the remaining seats at the table and we took turns introducing ourselves.

“...Yeah, I’m teaching Photography.” MinYeon said when we asked her what she entered the exchange program for.

“And I’m teaching cooking, in the chefs and home economic departments.” JiWoo added. After awhile of talking to them I thought they were nice and pretty cool. There were so many talented people here and everyone in it to help others. I really loved that.

“Okay, my name Is Quan MinWo and I’m your programs manager! “ Quan said into the mike. Where did he come from? “You are all probably very eager to get your assignments ne?” there was a low murmur among the students. “Araso, but first I need to go over guidelines and rules for staying in Chipguo Hall.” He said pointing at what looked like a clipboard filled with papers. That’s exactly what he did too, he droned on and on about rules…stuff that you really only needed common sense for to understand. Why is this necessary? Omo, I have no patience now, I just want to know what school I’m in! I think we all just wanted to know what level we’d be teaching.

The school didn’t matter; I just really wanted to teach elementary students. Pretty much everyone wanted to teach the middle school or elementary school students. Two full hours later Quan was done with the rules and I was ready to run out of there. “Now, originally we were going to give you your assignments here and organize people by the departments your in. But we decided it was best to deliver them to your dorm rooms.” I heard chairs squeak as people started to get up. “Wait! If you feel there is a problem with your assignments you can find my office on the first floor. Okay, I’m done rambling, go away!” he said with a smile on his face.

“See you guys!” I called to Dongmin, Michael, JiWoo and MinYeon. I grabbed Mika’s hand and we raced for the elevators with JinHye and Yoojin close behind us. As soon as we got in I pressed the number four over and over hoping the doors would hurry and close.

“Jeez HyunMi...you keep doing that you’ll stall it and we won’t ever find out!” Mika said looking at me crazily.

“I’m sorry; I just wanna get to our room!” I shot at her.

“Why are you yelling at me? Calm down your making me nervous!” she shot back.

“Well it’s not intentional damn it!” I snapped at her.

“You guys, don't argue!” JinHye said looking back and forth between us.

“Sorry.” we said in unison. But when the door opened onto the fourth floor we all spilled out of the elevator like cheetahs running after their prey. We got into our room and sure enough there were packages on each of our desk. I heard Mika squeal and we both dashed to our desks.

I opened the package with shaky hands. I scanned a bunch of things and finally I saw it.

I would be teaching at Chongdam High School.

“What is this? This isn’t my name; they gave me the wrong person. GAH!” Mika said with an
exasperated sigh. “I’m gonna have to go and talk to Quan.” She said rolling her eyes with a smile.
I smiled back at her, trying to hide my disappointment.

“Hey, what’d you get?” she asked me.

“I’m teaching at a high school.” I said slowly. “Aish, I really wanted to work with little kids.” Mika walked over to me and gave me a hug.

“I know. I'm sorry HyunMi. It will be okay, high school students won’t be too bad right? I’ll be right back; I’m going to talk to Quan now.”

“Ok.” I said barely hearing her. I did not want this, I was so disappointed. I lay on my bed staring at my SHINee poster, my Rain poster, my DBSK poster and then back to SHINee. Chongdam High School…why does that sound so familiar? Chongdam high school….Chongdam High School. No matter how hard I thought about it, I couldn’t figure out why it was so familiar to me.

“Yah, can we come in!?” it was JinHye and Yoojin, they were standing in the bathroom entrance.

“Sure.” I said sitting up. Yoojin turned my desk chair around to face me and JinHye sat on my bed.

“I am so happy about what I got! I’m teaching at a middle school!” Yoojin said smiling.

“I got a high school. I’m glad though. High school students are sooo….difficult! But I like a challenge.“ JinHye replied.

“What’d you get HyunMi?” Yoojin asked me, breaking me out of my thoughts.

“Huh, oh…Yeah, I got a high school called Chongdam.” I said sighing and looked at my hands “I wanted an elementary school though.” I looked up at them, their mouths were gaping. “What?” I said quickly. “What is it? Is there something on my face?!” I asked quickly rushing to the mirror. I checked thoroughly, there was nothing there. “Guys what’s wrong?”

“Don’t you know!!!?” Yoojin exclaimed.

“Know what?” I asked confused.

“Chongdam high school…” JinHye said pointedly. I still wasn’t getting it. What was their deal? It was just a school.

“Yes….Chongdam high school…I’ll be teaching there, what about it?” I asked slowly, looking incredulous.

Yoojin and JinHye stood up and walked to where I was by the mirror. I looked at each one of them confused.

“HyunMi, you don’t know? I thought Mika said you were a SHINee fan.” She looked puzzled.

“Yeah, I am! I love SHINee, see my posters, but what does that have to do-“Yoojin took my hand and squeezed excitedly.

“SHINee’s Taemin goes to that school HyunMi. Lee Taemin goes to that school.” I looked at the two of them oddly. What is this? Some type of joke, it’s really not funny. I burst out laughing. They stared at me. My laughter died. They were serious. My legs felt odd, actually I felt odd in general.

“Did you check to see who’s class you got? It should tell you the teachers name and also give you a list of the students in the class on a seating chart. ” JinHye asked. I shook my head, wondering if I could handle walking to my desk to get the letter without falling. Yoojin sighed and got the letter from my desk.

“HyunMi?” she said slowly after she looked a certain piece of paper. I looked at her warily. “It says Lee Taemin is in your class and according to the seating chart he sits in the third isle towards the middle.” I shook my head.

“No, that must be another Taemin. It can’t be SHINee’s Maknae.“ I said grabbing the paper from her. Is this why the school sounded so familiar to me? Why am I so stupid like this?!

Yoojin had a huge smile on her face, as well as JinHye. They were clasping hands and looking like they were going to burst from happiness. I just shook my head.

“OK! I’m back and I have my assignment! I can’t belie-“Mika stopped short when she saw my face.

“HyunMi what’s wrong?” I gave her a small smile, but my insides felt crazy. I didn’t want, no- I couldn’t handle teaching a celebrity. How would I talk to him? I wouldn’t be able to do this! Not without looking like an idiot. I mean, I knew the kid was a normal teenager but, still. “Yah, guys, what’s wrong with her?” Mika asked JinHye and Yoojin.

“Mika, you will never believe this.” Yoojin said smiling.