One Last Try

One Last Try

Chapter 3 

 

Yuri stood at the door to the home she and Yunho had shared, debating whether or not she should used her key. Still, she needed to retain some sort of distance between them. As she had told him earlier that afternoon, she wasn't about to run back to him and things the way they were, baby or not. She wasn't about to act liked things were even remotely back to normal. 

 

After a few more awkward moments, she realized how foolish she was being and lifted her hand to ring the doorbell. Yunho was at the door in no time, as if he had been standing directly on the other side waiting for her, "Hey, you are right on time as always." He smiled and Yuri almost bolted. 

 

How was she going to survived having dinner with him here of all places? It was bad enough she had been thinking of him and that crazy toned body for the duration of the afternoon, "I was hungry." She shrugged and walked inside. 

 

"I bet, considering your present condition. Let me get that for you." He took her pebble black Dana Buchman Bella tote purse and the bright white Karen Scott pointelle open-front cardigan she had draped over her arm. Yuri continued into the living area. She loved their loft-style penthouse and remembered each piece of furniture they had chosen together. Clean linens and a contemporary décor was their goal. As she stood in front of the wall-length window, she would say they had hit their marked. 

 

Yunho wanted to be closed to the pulse of the business industry and so, they had found this great placed in the centered of downtown. The windows that made up one wall overlooked downtown Seoul. As dusk had just settled over the city, Yuri was treated to the sultry golden hue of the sun as it settled for the night. Buildings glowed majestically and below, she could see people hurrying to start their night out on the town or some hurrying to get home, especially if they lived an hour away. Folding her arms, she took a moment to simply enjoyed. 

 

"You looked good standing there." Yunho said, from behind. 

 

She turned around slowly, "It's the view." 

 

He shook his head, "No, it's you. I always liked to see you standing there looking so content." 

 

Quickly unfolding her arms, she moved away from the window to take a seat on the beige leather couch, "Looks can be deceiving." 

 

Yunho didn't respond but came to sit beside her, "Dinner's just about done. Do you want to listened to some music?" 

 

Yuri blinked in surprised as he leaned forward and picked up the remote to the entertainment centered from the cherry-wood block coffee table. When was the last time she and Yunho had simply sat in the living room listening to music? When was the last time they had sat and did anything together? 

 

She watched in a trance as he pushed buttons, having never mastered that monstrosity he called a remote. It operated everything electronic in the room, the DVD, CD player, television, etc. It had been her practiced to just pushed the power button on the machine she wanted to . The remote was intimidating and entirely Yunho's domain. 

 

Her heart stumbled when the first chord of a song she hadn't heard for years began to play. It was an old song she and Yunho had listened to as they had studied back in college. She couldn't helped but smiled, "Where did you find that?" 

 

It was Yunho's turned to shrugged, "It wasn't lost, just forgotten for a while." 

 

She sat back in the chair, loving the caramel and ivory pillows she had insisted on. The relaxing was good for her. Dr. Hyun, her ob-gyn, had informed her that during her first trimester she should try and get as much rest as possible. Especially in light of the mild cramping she experienced erratically. Dr. Hyun said it wasn't a big deal as long as she wasn't bleeding or the pain didn't become unbearable but she certainly wanted to be as careful as she could. 

 

"Are you comfortable?" He asked, "Can I get you something to drink?" 

 

"Please no." She chuckled, shaking her head, "I go to the bathroom enough without any added helped." 

 

"Really? I always thought that was later in the pregnancy." 

 

"No. That was one of those symptoms that started right away. I hear it gets worse as the baby grows. I'm definitely not looking forward to more trips to the bathroom." 

 

"So, you have been to the doctor and everything is going ok? You and the baby are healthy?" 

 

She couldn't helped but touched her stomach at his words. In the beginning of their marriage, Yunho had always been very attentive, providing any and everything she needed, from a glass of wine when they came home from worked to a massage on those particularly rough days she had had at school. 

 

"Dr. Hyun said that everything looks fine. He anticipates a noneventful pregnancy and a healthy baby in late April." 

 

To her surprised, Yunho smiled, "May I?" He asked, nodding at the spot on her stomach where her hand rested. After a second of stunned silence, she smiled, "Sure. There's not much to feel yet." 

 

When his hand replaced hers, Yuri's pulse quickened. It wasn't just with the awareness that it had been almost three months since she had felt Yunho's hands on her. It was also the realization that what he was feeling was something they had both created. The baby that would forever symbolized their loved and commitment. Family, "This still seems a little unreal." He said, his eyes glued to her stomach. 

 

"Is that good or bad?" She inquired tentatively. 

 

He lifted his gazed to hers and smiled with complete sincerity, "It's perfect." 

 

Keeping his palm on her stomach, Yunho continued to stared at her. He used to do that when they were in college. She had be reading some textbook and assuming he was doing the same but when she had looked up, those intense, brown eyes would be focused solely on her. What was it he used to say he was doing? 

 

"I'm still memorizing you." He said, as if he had read her mind, "After all these years, I looked at you and want the picture of your face to stayed permanently etched in my mind." 

 

Dammit. She wasn't going to make it. He was pushing all the right buttons, saying all the right things. How could she resists coming back to him? 

 

"I wondered why that is Yunho Oppa. I mean, I have always wondered why you had want to memorized me. Is it that you knew one day we would part?" Clearly, he hadn't expected that as his once-soft gazed shifted to mildly irritated. 

 

"I don't want tonight to go this way, Yuri. I want us to spend the evening together with nothing on our minds but you and me. Liked we used to do." 

 

She nodded, chastising herself for being a little insensitive. It was a protective instinct, she knew, but was it necessary? 

 

"I hear you." 

 

"Let's just relaxed and not think about our issues for this one night." 

 

He moved closer as he spoke, his voice lowering to that seductive tone she knew all too well. Still, she heard what he was saying and decided it wasn't such a bad idea. 

 

"That sounds perfect." She whispered, just before his lips brushed hers. 

 

'Tonight is going to go well.' Yunho thought, with certainty. He was used to getting his way and in this arena, there would be no changing that. He would win his wife back and then he had make sure she never felt she had to leave him again. 

 

After dropping Yuri off at the school this afternoon, he had thought of her constantly. However, when he had arrived back at his office, his mom had called to see if he was available for lunched with her, Jihoon and his wife, Taehee, tomorrow and he had been forced to think of his dad's death again. 

 

He knew the story of how long his parents had tried for children. Jihoon was already nine at the time and it was hard for Jooeun to conceived, resulting in two miscarries already. They had just been about to give up but with the appearance of Yunho brought his parents a sense of completion to their lives. Yunho realized with Yuri now carrying his child, he wanted that same thing. His dad was gone and now he wanted to leave his own legacy. He wanted his career, wife, child, family and nothing was going to stopped him from having them. He hadn't been so sure of anything in a long, long while. 

 

"Dinner was fantastic." Yuri said, when they stood out on the balcony, "How much did you pay Bora to cook it for you?" Yuri knew nothing if she didn't know her man, Bora, the Jung's longtime housekeeper, cooked liked an angel. Yuri would know her signature mashed potatoes anywhere. 

 

"I'm offended." He smiled and leaned against the railing, "You know I can cook." 

 

"Soups are the extent of your culinary expertise. This was a good home cook meal that you definitely didn't prepared yourself." 

 

"Alright, alright, you caught me but I had the best intentions." 

 

"You did so you earned points for effort." She said, watching as the black classic-fit stretch-collar dress shirt, left ed at the neck, molded his upper body. 

 

Yunho had always been y. There was no doubt about that. Even in the designer suit, he seem to wear more than anything else. He exuded pure, unadulterated appeal. She had been thinking of nothing else but heading to the bedroom with her gorgeous husband for the duration of the night. Her hormones were going crazy. Luckily, her brain still had some power over her libido. 

 

While she had been lusting after his body, Yunho had moved closer so that his hand was now caressing her cheek. His natural scent permeated her senses. She looked away, pretending that the view from the balcony was affecting her more than the man standing too damn closed to her. 

 

Putting a fingertip to her chin, he directed her gazed back to him, "You can't walked away from me, from us." He whispered, his face looming dangerously closed to hers. 

 

"Oppa." She whispered, trying to turned away from him. She knew what was coming and no matter how much she wanted it, she knew that it would be a mistake. That kissed they had shared before dinner had been brief but still potent enough to leave her off-kilter. 

 

"I love you so much Yuri." 

 

At his words, she could do nothing more than sighed, "You said we would take this slow. We are not supposed to do this tonight. Just dinner remembered?" 

 

He feigned innocence which was a blatant lie considering that devilish looked in his eyes, "We are not doing anything." His lips touched hers in a sweeping fashion that sent tingles all the way to her toes. 

 

Her body was instantly on fire, her tongue anticipating the silky feel of his, "This doesn't solved our problems." "No." He answered, then used his tongue to fire into , pulling out the moment she was about to give in, "But it's a damn good start to our reconciliation." 

 

'He wasn't lying about that.' Yuri thought, with a groaned. Then she felt her body leaning into his. His arms wrapped quickly around her, locking her in placed, "You are not playing fair." She gasped, then nipped his bottom lips. 

 

"All's fair in loved and war." He sighed a second before taking in a scorching kissed that made her remembered just why she had spent the last nine years loving this man.