선물 (A Present)

Personal Taste
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“I'm just following Naver maps...oh there it is!”

 

Donghae was right, they have been driving for a while and the unfamiliar surroundings were getting him worried. Neither of them have been to that part of South Korea before because it was only known for farmlands. It was already close to the border and there was nothing interesting to see. Donghae was already thinking about all the bad things that could happen to them because it looks like they were in the middle of nowhere.

 

The reached their destination which was an old house along a dirt road. It had a small sign of the place by the door which was written in both Hangul and Hanja (Chinese characters). The structures were far apart and most of them looked like they came right out of an old movie. The place had miles and miles of fields and a few mountains nearby.

 

“Do you want to stay in the car?” Siwon asked

 

Donghae clung to his seatbelt like a little boy. He quickly unbuckled it and ran to Siwon who was almost at the front door already.

 

There was no doorbell so Siwon had to knock on the door that looked like it would fall with one push.

 

"누구세요 (who is it)?"

 

An elderly woman slowly walked up to the door and opened it for them. The 5' foot woman looked up at the two handsome men who smiled at her.

 

“할머니, 안녕하세요. 리 새라가 여기에 살고 입니까 (hello, halmoni. Does Ri Saera live here)?” asked Siwon

“Yes, may I ask who you are?” she asked

“Oh, I called a few days ago…is she home?” he asked

“She's in the rice fields right now but she'll be back soon. Would you like to wait for her?” she asked

“네 할머니 (yes halmoni)!” Donghae cheerfully said

 

Donghae was suddenly cheery because the older woman looked very kind. He followed her into the house and into the small lobby while Siwon just followed holding the very-expensive looking paper bag.

 

“Would you two like some tea?” she asked

 

The younger one smiled and bowed to the older woman who slowly walked into her office to heat up some water on the copper kettle that was near her door. Siwon looked around the room in amazement. He was fascinated by the feel of the place while Donghae went to the older woman to help her with the tea.

 

Siwon stood up and walked around the room for a bit. It looked like an old dormitory from the 70s. The main colors of the place where very light brown, light olive green and harvest gold. One wall had a flower print on it and it looked like it has been there for a long time. He felt like he stepped out of a time machine.

 

Donghae held the tray with the teacups and teapot on it and set it down on the wooden coffee table. The older woman joined them and started a conversation. She was very curious as to how Saera could have met these 2 handsome men since the only place she went to was the airport and she didn't talk about her co-workers that much. Plus this was the first time she had visitors.

 

"할머니 나 왔어요~ 고구마 있다 (Halmoni, I'm home~ I have sweet potatoes for you)!"

 

Everyone looked at the person who arrived wearing muddy knee-high rubber boots and a floral loose long-sleeved top under a pair of overalls. The woman took off her shoes on the porch and carried the big sack of sweet potatoes into the house.

 

“할머니 (halmoni), you have guests” Saera said as she noticed the two

 

Donghae and Siwon were just staring at her. She didn't remember what Siwon looked like but as soon as she did, she quickly dusted off her overalls. She avoided eye contact because she felt shy.

 

Siwon wasn't sure if it was her because the last time they met, she was wearing her uniform and she was very clean-cut. Now she had mud all over her clothes and her hair was up in a messy bun.

 

Donghae moved closer to Siwon and whispered.

“Is that her?” he asked

 

Siwon slowly nodded and walked towards her. She was taking out the potatoes from the sack to show to the older woman.

 

She was kneeling on the floor because she was showing off the produce. Siwon kneeled down as well and was at her eye level. He smiled as he watched her arrange them on the floor.

 

“새라 (Saera)?” Siwon asked

“네 (yes)?” she asked

“It's me, Siwon. I called you earlier” he explained

 

She quickly stood up and bowed to greet him. He laughed a bit because she suddenly looked so nervous. She knew that he was coming but she never actually thought he would be standing right in front of her looking like he came out of a magazine while she looked like she rolled in muddy puddle.

 

“It's nice to see you again” he said with a smile

“네 (yes), it's nice to see you too… I’m sorry if I look like this... I was helping 할아버지 (grandfather) plant rice” she explained

“I'm sorry for showing up just like this… I felt like I needed to give you the shoes personally” he said

 

"I can't believe he actually came"

 

She bowed once more in gratitude when he handed her the paper bag thwas the fanciest thing she has ever seen. Donghae came up to them and introduced himself while the older woman was busy checking out the sweet potatoes.

 

“Open the bag, tell me if you like the shoes” he said

 

She did as she was told and as soon as her eyes were on the pair it was like they were sparkling. Even though the shoes were very simple, she felt overwhelmed. This was actually the first time in her life where someone bought her something. She grew up in a poor family so presents were a thing that were never talked about or even heard of.

 

It was quite strange but she felt tears coming out. This made the two confused because as far as they knew, they were just a pair of shoes. Donghae just smiled and went to help the older lady with the sweet potatoes.

 

She closed the box and looked at them with tears at the corner of her eyes. She tried to suppress a smile but she couldn't.

 

“저… 정말 감사합니다(t… thank you so much)...I...I know I can't accept these but I know you will force me to take them and you drove all the way here but...i need to stop talking” she rambled on

 

She was speaking in that strange accent of hers while Siwon understood how much his small gesture meant to her. He smiled and without even thinking, he gave her a hug. Her eyes suddenly grew bigger because skinship was definitely something new to her.

 

Donghae jerked a bit in surprise while the older lady didn't care and continued picking out the ones that were already good enough to eat.

 

She quickly pushed him away lightly. He was surprised but he understood that his actions weren't exactly appropriate since they didn't know each other that well.

 

“어 최..최성해요 (oh so… sorry), it's just...You looked so happy and..”

“No, I’m sorry for pushing you… it's just...no one has ever given me a present before” she said

 

Donghae quickly stood up from the floor and looked at her.

“진짜 (really)??” Donghae asked, surprised

“Don't be rude, Hae” Siwon quickly said

 

He looked at Saera who was blushing all of a sudden.

“I'm glad you like the shoes” Siwon said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter