Run (Pt. I)

Pair of Dice {DISCONTINUED please look @ "About Me" in profile for further info}

Crap crap crap crap crap!

Junhui continually cursed in Chinese in his head as he ran through the streets with his piles of paper clutched between his arms and chest, barely dodging wealthy men with their canes and ladies with their poofy dresses on the streets, either earning surprised looks or cursings at him. He tries to reach over the pile of paper and shuffle through his dress shirt to find the pocket that held his pocket watch until he ran head first into someone, causing himself to rebound and fall onto his , causing his papers to fly into the air and scatter around him.

"Ow...! That hurt really badly...!" Junhui hisses.

"Funny that you said that because I would've exppected an apology."

He blinks and looks across his where someone with black hair sat across from him with a look of pain etched into his face. Junhui panics at the realization that he did forget his manners, stuttering, "S-S-S-Sorry! You see, I-I was in a rush and-"

The stranger simply waves his hand, "It's okay, we all got our time restraints- it was just a joke."

"B-But you're bleeding..." Junhui noticed that the stranger's hand had gashes on his palm from scraping the streets.

"It's really okay. I accept your apology," he smiles a small smile but to Junhui it looked more like a smirk, "By the way, weren't you in a hurry?"

His gaze drifts back to his pocket watch that was still clutched in his hand before panicking and trying to gather the scattered paper around him all at once whereas the man in front of him calmly helps him, pausing at one page before reading it out loud, "'Jack the Ripper Found in Korea?! News cover by journalist Moon Junhwi' of the Jeon Newspaper Press-"

"C-Can I have that back?!" Junhui noticed that the pages that he was missing were probably the ones in the stranger's hands at the moment.

"Oh right, you were in a hurry. I wouldn't understand why a journalist like you is in a hurry though," the stranger commented, still not handing the papers back.

"I live far away from the press that I work for and I'm still in working-class status so I don't have a horse carriage or anything like that," Junhui murmurs.

The stranger smiled, "Well lucky for you, I was heading to my horse carriage from the candy shop and I just so happen to be heading to the Jeon Newspaper Press. I can offer you aa ride there."

Automatically, Junhui felt suspicious even with the charming smile, but one glance at his pocket watch made him agree in no time. They quickly head across the street and enter a horse carriage, which is quickly put into action once they settle down and the stranger hands Junhui his papers back.

"Wonwoo," he smiles, holding out his hand.

"Oh- um- Junhui..." Junhui murmurs, reaching out and shaking Wonwoo's hand.

"You're not from around here, are you?"

"I'm kind of a displaced Chinese, if that's what you're asking. It's from all of the previous movement laws in China that made my family end up in Korea."

"Interesting. So what's your headline going on about with the whole Jack the Ripper?"

Immediately, Junhui lights up at the question since crime scenes were what piqued his interest to be a journalist in the first place, "Well lately there's been a series of killings in Korea lately where women are the ones being murdered. Each woman has been specifically found laying on an abandoned bed with a knife driven into their pelvis- so death by massive blood loss. When looking at their original lives, police have found out that they were women that were going to be wedded to someone. The motive is unclear so far so people have been calling him Korea's Jack the Ripper."

"Hm, so maybe it's a widow who's doing it?" Wonwoo suggested but Junhui shook his head at the remark. The journalist shuffles through his papers before taking it out and handing it to Wonwoo before pointing at a certain section of the report.

"Read this section. When I thought the same thing, the detective I was talking to said that there was evidence of using force from the red markings on the women's wrists. He made the comment that it's more likely that the serial killer is someone strong- most likely a man."

"But what if the woman was actually a friend of the serial killer who was in disguise?"

Junhui looks back at Wonwoo, who is still reading the paper, "Here, let's think about this scenario: they could've been hanging out at a restaurant not too far from an abandoned building. The woman leaves to do something temporarily when the food arrives. The serial killer takes out a drug or strong alcohol from anything that could contain something small and when no one was looking, they place it into the woman's food or drink. The woman comes back and eats or drinks and knocks out straight away- or they finish eating, take a stroll in the dark with dimly-lit lamp posts, and the drug or alcohol finally kicks in. The killer would then drag the body- a possibility of dragging by the wrists if they didn't have much strength or the woman wakes up and the killer pins her down by her wrists as they drive a knife into her pelvis again and again. And there, the woman is dead."

"That's... oddly specific..." Junhui murmurs, feeling a bit more nervous now.

Obviously Wonwoo could sense Junhui's stiffness and simply laughs it off, unintentionally putting Junhui more on edge. Wonwoo simply ruffles Junhui's hair, saying, "Yes, but the drugging part is also a growing cliche in stories- to which I should know since I'm an author of a couple books. You should also read some fictional stuff instead of just news-related stuff sometimes."

"I-I know, I know...!" Junhui pushes wonwoo's hand away, feeling flustered at how the latter was treating him like a child.

"We're here, Wonwoo-ssi!"

The coachman calls out loud enough for them to hear through the carriage as it slows to a stop.

"Well no use worrying about who's Jack the Ripper now. Leave it to the detectives, Junhui-ssi, that is no job for a journalist."