Second

Three Sessions, Five Years Gap, and Two Years later

The next tutoring session finally comes after a few dreaded days. And no, the weird feeling has not disappeared. If anything, the presence of Junhoe makes it even weirder.

Since Chanwoo already knows how their session will work, he prepared a short table so they can sit face to face on the floor.

The session goes on without any problem. Junhoe is asking Chanwoo every single thing, Chanwoo is explaining to Junhoe every single thing, and none of them keep track of the time since they know they’ll go overtime.

Suddenly, Chanwoo stops and looks at Junhoe.

“How old are you?”, Chanwoo asked.

“20. Why?”

“So, you are 3rd year? 2nd year?”

“3rd year… Why are you suddenly asking me questions?”

“Nothing. I just want to know…”

They fall silent as Chanwoo returns to his book. However, the silent doesn’t last long. Out of nowhere, Chanwoo asks Junhoe a bold question, “Do you have a girlfriend?”.

Junhoe’s eyes widen at the unexpected question; he is obviously surprised, not knowing what to say nor how to reply. Chanwoo is surprised too, but he is surprised at the sudden burst of bravery that he just exhibited.

Obviously, Junhoe doesn’t fail to notice the unmistakable emotion in Chanwoo’s eyes. He knows where this is going, and Chanwoo also intuitively knows that Junhoe already figures it out. So Chanwoo says, “I lov-”.

But Junhoe interrupts, “You’re too young for this.”.

“I’m not. I’m already 15!”, Chanwoo protested.

Just 15.”

“And that’s more than enough years to fall in love!”

“Do you even know what ‘love’ is?”

“Of course I do. That’s what I’m feeling for y-”

“Well, you’re too young for me then!”, Junhoe interrupted, eager to end the conversation. He then quickly sighs and apologizes. “Sorry… It’s just… You barely know me, and I barely know you. Isn’t it a bit too quick? You don’t fall in love in just two meetings.”

Chanwoo hates to admit it, but he realizes the truth in Junhoe’s words. He is too rash; he feels a weird feeling for a few days and hastily concludes that it’s love. That sounds very silly now he thinks about it.

Chanwoo sighs. “I’m sorry too… I guess you’re right; I’m still too young. But, I’m feeling something. I’m sure I do! Even when I don’t know what it is.”

Hearing that, Junhoe closes his eyes. He tries to calm himself, trying to be the older, responsible one, and focus back on the tutoring. But the damage is already done; the mood is already down. Junhoe checks the time.

“That should be enough for today. I’ll just leave.”, Junhoe said as he stands up and turns toward the door.

“No, wait! Don’t leave yet!”

Junhoe turns around and looks at Chanwoo, expecting him to say something else.

“You said you'd listen to me, right?”

Junhoe gives Chanwoo a smirk and walks back to sit next to Chanwoo.

“So, what do you want to talk about?”

“Umm…”, Chanwoo tries to think of something, but truth to be told, he has nothing to say; he just wants to make Junhoe stays. It might be too early to call it love, but he is feeling something, alright?

Seeing Chanwoo trying to come up with a topic makes Junhoe smiles. He knows that Chanwoo doesn’t have anything to say, but he decides to just entertain him anyway.

“Do you listen to music?”, Junhoe asked.

“No, not really.”

“Then what're those headphones for?”

“I don’t know. Games, YouTube, and what not.”

“Well then…”, Junhoe said as he takes his phone and earbuds out. He then sets some music up and puts the earbuds on one of Chanwoo’s ears.

“You listen to these classical s?”, Chanwoo asked as soon as he heard the music.

Junhoe can’t help but rolls his eyes and smirks. “It’s not , ok. And just change the playlist if you don’t like it.”

Chanwoo smiles and lies on the floor. He considers it but decides to just enjoy the classical . After all, it’s Junhoe’s choice. Meanwhile, Junhoe looks around the room.

“Don’t you ever clean your room?”, Junhoe asked.

“Nah, too lazy.”

“Very mature, Chanwoo. Very mature.”

Junhoe then stands up and starts tidying Chanwoo’s room for him.

“What are you doing?”, Chanwoo asked.

“What do you think?”

“Stop it. I’ll do it myself!”

“Yeah right, you will. You definitely will.”

“I’m doing it right now!”, Chanwoo declared, taking off the earbud and starts cleaning his room while trying to make Junhoe stops.

“You know it’ll be faster with two people.”

“But I can’t make you do that. This is my room.”

In the end, Chanwoo has no option but to let Junhoe helps. And, for some reasons, Junhoe cannot find anything suspicious in Chanwoo’s room. It’s like he never buys anything silly.

“I’m impressed.”, Junhoe said.

“For what?”

“There is nothing weird in your room.”

“What do you mean?”

“Like, you know, weird stuff.”

Chanwoo finally gets it. “Oh…! Do you mean ? It will be very stupid to store something like that in my room. But, wait… Is that how you see me!?”

Caught, Junhoe can only laugh. “Well, they say it’s normal at your age.”

“Then you should have some too!”

“What do you mean ‘too’? So, you do have some ?”

“No, I don’t!”

In the end, both of them just laugh it off. When they’re done, they sit on the floor back to back, still panting slightly from all the effort. Junhoe then puts the earbuds back on one of Chanwoo’s ears and put the other side on his own ear.

They listen to the music quietly, enjoying the serenity as they lean on each other’s back, hairs touching slightly.

“Honestly… do I even stand a chance at all?”, Chanwoo suddenly asked.

Hearing the question, Junhoe takes the earbud off and turns around, and Chanwoo follows suit. They quietly observe each other’s face, silently studying each other’s features.

“How can you be so bold?”, Junhoe asked.

“Because I’m young, and silly, and stupid. So I can afford to be shameless.”, Chanwoo said.

Then they fall silent.

“What’s the hurry?”, Junhoe asked.

“I don’t know. How slow does it suppose to be anyway? Don’t they have reality shows that marry people at first sight nowadays?”

“That's reality shows. Which are more shows than ‘reality’.”

“So?”

Junhoe can only sigh. He isn’t going to win this argument. He falls silent as he studies Chanwoo again. This kid is so… immature and foolish, yes, but also… brave? Dominant? Junhoe doesn’t know how to describe the impression that he gets from Chanwoo, but… he likes it.

“In a few years…”, Junhoe finally started speaking. “You’ll grow even taller. You’ll lose all that baby fat. I bet you’ll be even more handsome.”

Chanwoo can’t help but blush at Junhoe’s compliments, but he doesn’t stop there.

“And you’re not a bad kid either…”, Junhoe paused. “So, maybe. Maybe, I can give you a chance.”

“Really!?”, Chanwoo asked, trying to sound calm but failing miserably.

Junhoe can’t help but smirks at Chanwoo’s excitement. “Don’t get too excited. You’re still too young.”

“Not really.”, Chanwoo said. “15 and 20 may sound like a stretch. But think about it, isn’t a 35 and 40 couple sounds normal? What about 50 and 55? Five years’ isn’t that much.”

Junhoe nods along. “I guess. But still… you need to wait.”

“How long?”, Chanwoo immediately asked.

Junhoe is taken aback by the frank question. But it is a valid question. He told him to wait, so he needs to give him a time limit. Otherwise he’s just giving him false hope, and he doesn’t want to give him false hope. And yet, he still can’t come up with an answer…

Fortunately, Chanwoo’s mom comes knocking. It’s dinner time.

“Oh, wow! You clean your room? Junhoe must be something else.”, Chanwoo’s mom said.

“Well, I’ll be leaving then.”, Junhoe said, thankful for the diversion.

“You’re not staying again?”

“Sorry. I still have assignments to do.”

“Alright, I understand. But bring some home.”

Junhoe follows Chanwoo’s mom to the kitchen where she will pack some food for him. Chanwoo follows them quietly from behind. He wants to know the answer to his previous question, but he cannot bring that up while his mom is around.

After he gets his food, Junhoe goes home. This time, Chanwoo actually says goodbye, although he does it quietly as if he doesn’t want his mom to overheard.

Then, that night, Chanwoo finds himself once again staring at Junhoe’s number. He really wants to know the answer, but, will calling him look creepy? After all, he doesn’t know that I have his number…

This time too, he cannot do anything but wait until the next tutoring session.

What Chanwoo doesn’t know is that, at the other side of the town, Junhoe is also lying on his bed, thinking about that question. This will not be a problem if Junhoe has no feeling for Chanwoo, the problem is… he has. It’s small and young, but, give it some time, and it will grow into something so big he won’t be able to hold back, and Junhoe knows that.

In the end, he can only close his eyes and lulls himself to sleep. Then he remembers, he still has one more tutoring session to give. Can he come up with an answer by then?