Chapter 4: Handy... but Annoying

War on the Seventh Floor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Closing the door behind her, Sohee could only produce a sigh as she looks down at the ‘doorknob’. It isn’t so much the usual with duct tape all over it. For one, she had no tools and it was too late last night to go out to buy some. So, she had to make do with whatever she found.

Pulling her from her depressing thoughts is the sound of her enemy’s door clicking open.

Waiting for him to make an entrance, Sohee unhappily remains in her spot. So, how did he appear before her? Hungover. Nothing is new anymore. Nothing is exciting anymore when things become predictable. Looking away from her for a moment, his eyes land on the sad appearance of the doorknob attached to the door through unconventional means. Immediately, bright laughter slips from his lips upon finding the unexpected sight. 

How could he laugh with a hangover? It is simply commendable in Sohee’s opinion.

“Is there a point in that?” he questions while sleep still clings to his voice.

She couldn’t lock her door. “I didn’t want any of the goons you had over to sneak in,” Sohee reasons. Surely, they were all drunk enough to not notice the gray sticky mess on her door. 

Yet, her hard work wasn’t enough to allow her the peace of mind to fall asleep. She was too nervous to let down her guard and she ended up staying awake in the case that someone did choose to walk into her home uninvited. But, it wasn’t like she would be able to sleep with all the noise coming through the wall anyhow.

Watching the amused expression on his face, she catches herself and clears , “I don’t even know why I’m speaking to you.” She had long understood it was a waste of time and breath on her part.

Yongguk doesn’t respond but, it doesn’t make him any less charmed by the girl’s antics.

“I’m leaving for work.”

Yongguk watches after her before looking back at the doorknob. And once more, chuckles spill from his lips. Upon getting his fill of delight for the morning, he goes back to his apartment to carry on with his day. In comparison to Sohee’s morning, Yongguk finds his bright. 

***

Walking down the hallway and towards the door to her apartment, Sohee looks down at the plastic bag filled with tools to fix her sad doorknob. She isn’t sure if this is enough or if they are the right tools but, she’ll just have to try. At least before the landlord finds out. Looking up, her eyes land on Yongguk and her feet come to an abrupt halt. 

He's kneeling before her door, focused on the doorknob with a screwdriver in his hand.

That isn’t a comforting sight. 

Rushing forward, she stands over him. “What are you doing?” She is already silently begging him to not create a bigger mess. 

“I’m fixing it. Aren’t you too suspicious of me?” he retorts while not bothering to look up at her. “What were you planning to do?”

“I was going to fix it,” her tone suddenly turns soft as soon as her confidence drops. Even she didn’t believe her own words.

“Do you know how?” From his tone of voice, Yongguk isn’t insinuating anything, rather he is genuinely curious. 

“I was going to learn.” Not knowing what else to say, she simply watches in silence from the side. 

“What do you have there?” He sits back on his heels to give his arms a rest and looks up at her.

“I have some tools.” She offers him the plastic bag to see if it would be of any help. At this point, maybe it's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter