Chapter 2: Hungover... and Annoying

War on the Seventh Floor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

She passed out like a light.

She wasn't planning on waking up until she had her full 8 hours of sleep and then some– because honestly, she had a sleep deficit to pay back. 

Blindly looking for her phone on her bed, Sohee slipped her hand underneath Misoo’s body to search for it. Like always, it found itself underneath her friend or was it her friend that always ends up lying on top of it due to her active sleeping habits? Seeing the time, she figured it's time to head home. Sundays are meant to be days where she finishes preparations for the week ahead– there's homework to be done, groceries to be bought… things of that nature.

“Thanks again, Misoo,” Sohee whispers with a smile on her face.

In response, she earns a soft groan of acknowledgment from her friend before she goes back to her slumber. 

***

Regardless of how immature they appear, her neighbor and his friends never actually throw parties the night before a week day. Sohee hardly thought it's because they are responsible adults– instead, she figures the week is when they need to recharge their batteries for when the weekend comes back around. 

So, when she's greeted at nine in the morning just as she returns home, she couldn’t hide her surprise. 

“You’re back early.”

“You’re up early,” she responds while still trying to get her door unlocked. 

“There’s a big mess to clean up,” he points behind him with the familiar smile on his face.

Yongguk isn’t mean or nasty– in fact, he is super friendly. But, pair that up with lots of friends and the tendency to throw parties and that admirable characteristic doesn’t matter anymore. Him being super friendly doesn’t help her sleep at night. 

“You should get back to it then.” Sohee turns her doorknob to finally head inside when Yongguk stops her, causing her to halt in her movements. 

“I’m really sorry again. I didn’t mean to kick you out of your own place.” He leaned against his doorway to look at her from the side. 

His sincerity was contradictory to say the least. He says he didn’t want to kick her out yet, weekends are so crazy that she has no other choice but to leave for the sake of her sanity and sleep. So, she didn’t know what to say. 

“I’ve noticed that you have been having a rough time–,"

“Then, why do you do it?” Sohee couldn’t help but ask now that it has come to this point. 

“Well," Yongguk starts as he lifts his hand to scratch the back of his head, “you think I’m immature, don’t you?”

Strangely, this conversation has taken so many unexpected turns that Sohee is having trouble with just following it. 

“Yongguk…,” since he’s asking, she should just be frank with him, “I think you earn worst neighbor of the year and you have only started living here a month ago.” 

Startled by her honesty, Yongguk is taken aback for a moment. He wouldn’t have expected that from his usual reserved neighbor. There were only few moments where they would share words. 

“I just don’t understand how there is a need for a house-warming party every weekend– those are done once,” she explains in the case that he didn’t know. “Because, by then, everyone has gotten acquainted with the new home.” How much of the home does he need to show off that people are still curious?

“I see…,” he nods his head, though not angry with her calm outburst. 

“Not only that, why the whole weekend? Why not just once a week?” How much did it cost to live that kind of lifestyle… what about his liver? Finishing her question, she stares back at a blank expression. With a sigh, she takes a single step into her now unlocked apartment. “I think I’ve said everything that I needed to say–,"

“I think we should talk some more over coffee,” he suddenly states

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter