Chapter 3: Hungry... and Annoying

War on the Seventh Floor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I’ll call you later, Sohee!” 

The front door closes and Misoo walks by Yongguk’s apartment to see he had rushed to his own door to catch her before she leaves. 

“Hey, Yongguk–,"

Bringing his finger up, he motions her to quiet down and she mimicks his action to ensure they are on the same page. Stepping closer, she waits to hear what he has to say. 

“I heard Sohee’s family owns a restaurant…,” Yongguk speaks in whispers, “Can you tell me where it is?”

***

“Sohee, are you finished with the order?”

Hearing her mom, Sohee sets down the wash cloth and pushes the tray of noodle soup onto the ordering counter upon finishing. Brushing the loose strands of her hair aside, her eyes land on her mom’s smile.

“You’re moving much faster now,” her mom says proudly. 

“I thought you would slack off after moving out,” her father jokes from the side before everyone returns back to their tasks. The shop is having another busy day where there isn’t even time to breathe. Though, that’s not something to complain about. It's ideal to have a steady flow of business. 

It was only a little later when one of the servers went to the back to look for Sohee. 

“There’s a customer outside that is complaining about the food.”

“Someone complaining about Sohee’s cooking?” her father wonders in surprise and with no particular annoyance in his tone. It’s been a while since something like that has happened. 

Halting in her movements, she walkw out from the kitchen and towards the table that holds the lone customer. Starting now, she will never be surprised again. Instead, she’s just devastated that not only is her apartment difficult to live in now, her workplace may just be as tiresome.

“Yongguk, was it you that was complaining?” Though she wanted to question him on how he knew to find this place but, figured she probably wouldn’t like the answer. 

“I’ll stop complaining if you make me that soup from the other day again,” he grins up at her, “I tried ordering it but they said they didn’t know what I was talking about.” So, he was forced to order something else– which he wasn’t quite happy about.

“It’s just beef and veggie soup,” she points it out on the menu for him. 

“Oh, it was that simple.”

That’s right. All this trouble for something so simple. “I’ll be back.” Leaving for the kitchen, Sohee gets to work. The quicker he gets his food, the faster he leaves– something she is assuming but, he may just prove her wrong. Once the order is finished, she even has the soup delivered personally. “Here.”

Sliding the tray towards him, the same smile returns to his face.

“Are you content?” She didn’t want to be disturbed again.

Instead of responding, Yongguk reaches out and grabs onto her arm. Pulling her down, he forces her into the chair next to him. 

“I don’t want to look like I came alone.”

“But, you did.” 

“Sohee, is your friend here?” her mom asked from across the shop. “You might as well take your break now."

“It’s not how it is,” Sohee mutters underneath her breath as she sees her mom walking away to get another couple seated. Sighing, she slumps into the chair beside Yongguk. This isn’t exactly how she wants to spend her break. She wants more quiet and less… of her neighbor.

Eyeing her, Yongguk clicks his tongue. “Long day? It shows on your face.” He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter