Dead

A Vitamin a Day [One-shot Collection]

The night was cold. The breeze could almost cut his pale skin, while the brightly lit moon hid behind the clouds, acting like an adult who was running away, knowing what is going to happen next. He stood on top of the roof of his apartment complex. He knew it was late now; there wasn’t a window with a light on. For a moment, he wondered how long has he been out here for. Was it four hours, or maybe five? He stayed on the rooftop, watching the city lights dull down until it was only the street lamps that remained. The thought of adults, who are ‘responsible’ and ‘mature,’ being dragged into a cab after a few too many drinks made the latter scoff.

Adults never cared.

Especially for him.

He activated his phone and looked at the screen.

“No Messages,” it read.

Their supportive words were all lies.

Now, he stood at the ledge. If he were to move a few centimeters forward, he would be flying down and kissing the ground floor. He took in the night view, taking a deep breath in. His eyes begin to feel heavy as his mind felt like it was being into the night lights. He stretched his arms out to his side, embracing everything without hesitation.
He was ready.

Until he heard a creek.

His trance halted and arms dropped back to his sides, he turned to the direction of the sound. His heart beated harder than he wanted. Despite the darkness, he makes out a small figure slowly approaching his direction.

It was a girl, who looked about his age. She was short and had long black locks. As she got closer, her big doe eyes covered in strong eye makeup become more prominent. He unconsciously held his breath when she began to get closer and closer.

She didn’t say anything.

In fact, she looked disinterested in him.

The female ignored his dumbfounded stare as she sat down on the ledge and quietly stared at the view. There wasn’t a hint of curiosity on her face. She didn’t even spare him a single glance. He didn’t know what to do. Should he just leave? What if she tells others about him so he won’t be able to come up on the rooftop again? A rush of thoughts flooded his head. He swore he felt a sweat drop on his forehead (the temperature outside was below fifty degrees).

“Are you not going to say anything?”

That was the only intelligible question he could come up with. Not his best work, he must admit.

Finally, the girl turned his direction and their eyes locked. There was not glint of surprise in her eyes; it remained dull and her face expressionless.

“What do you want me to say?” she responded. Her voice was soft yet it sent chills down his spine.

He felt his cheeks warm up; he was thankful it was dark.

“Nothing,” he curtly said.

There was a silence between them, neither taking their gaze off of the view in front of them. He should’ve just ignored her, but for some reason her presence unnerved him. His thoughts and words just wouldn’t form correctly. Suddenly he hears a rustle of clothing beside him and notices the female pulling her black hoodie over her head to possibly keep herself warm.

“Why are you up here?” his own personal thought being spoken out loud before he could even process it.

“To enjoy the view,” the female answered back, this time with a hint of annoyance. “You sure ask a lot of questions.”

“You don’t ask many either.”

Again a moment of silence slid in until he heard a soft chuckle. Surprised, he once again stared at the stranger beside him. Her slender hand covered her lips as she tried to stifle her laughter.

“I guess you still have some life in you after all.”

This time he was taken aback. Just who is this girl? He didn’t even know her yet she is making him feel more agitated than anyone else he talked to.

“What do you want?”

“I should be asking you that question shouldn’t I?” her voice sounded earnest, eyes mirroring the same emotion he heard. “What do you want?”

Hearing his question being directed to him, he never felt so defenseless in his life. He was so used to indirect tactics. The question only led to one answer that he didn’t want to admit to. But, as he continue to stare in the almond eyes of the female, who gave her hundred percent attention to him, his defenses fell. His years of practice and training deemed worthless in front of a pure stranger. He doesn’t know what his brain was thinking; it was as if he was possessed by the sincerity in her eyes and tone. The sincerity he longed for but was never given.

His mouth opened but nothing came out; his lips and throat feeling dry as if he just ran a marathon.

“Save me.”

His voice was weak, almost inaudible.

But, she heard it.  

She always seems to hear it.

 

He found out her name was Park Jimin, but she likes to be referred to Jamie.

“My name is Jungkook,” he introduced himself, still showing signs of awkwardness. He was never used to talking to females.

“I'm pretty sure we are the same age,” she said. “I'm born in 1997; how about you?”

“Me too.”

“Great!” she brightly smiled. “Nice to meet you, Jungkookie~”

Without himself knowing, his face muscles contracted and he mirrored a smile back at her.

That night, the two stayed on the rooftop until they saw daybreak. He found out she actually lived on the floor below him. The two exchanged numbers and bid each other goodnight. He laid in his twin sized bed that was right beside the only window in his bedroom. Instead of sleeping, he stared at the phone number he just acquired.

He slept for the first time in a while that night.

 

Jungkook hated himself.

He hated himself for allowing his emotions get the best of him.

His apartment was pitch black. Instead of sitting on the living room couch, which would definitely more comfortable, he stayed in the corner. He wasn’t crying- no, he already passed that stage long ago. In his right hand, he held his phone. His thumb hung over the ‘send’ button, unsure if he should really sent the message to her. On the contact picture, he admired the bright smile Jamie always showed to him. They had only known each other for a few weeks and became close faster than Jungkook imagined. He still wasn’t sure though.

With the last remaining courage he had, he sent the message and slid his phone across the floor onto the other side of the room. Now, all he had to do is wait. If she didn’t come, then he would be alone just as usual. But, for some strange reason, he hoped she would come.

No.

He mentally slapped himself.

He mustn’t get attached. What if she is like everyone else. His breath starts to get heavy as his hands gripped the sides of his head. Pulling his knees close to his chest, Jungkook didn’t know what to do anymore.

Suddenly, he hears the door of his apartment open. His head slowly lifted up from the comfort of his knees and met the gaze of the petite female. She was dressed in an oversized shirt that barely met above her knees. From the looks of her breathing, it looked like she ran as soon as she got the text.

It was silent. She didn’t say anything nor did he. Jamie remained in the same spot. He noticed how her eyes were taking in his appearance. Her red tinted lips formed into a small thin line.  

At this moment, he felt regret.

He didn’t want her to see him like this.

Jungkook always hated seeing others pity him.

He didn’t need their pity.

“Get out,” he said words that he didn’t mean to say. She continued to stare at him, not moving even a little. “I said, ‘get out!’” he raised his voice, surprising himself as well.  

The female still remained unfazed despite the harsh tone coming out from the latter. Still, not a word came out of . There wasn’t any anger or annoyance about the fact that he was the one who called her.

Absolutely nothing.

She began to walk slowly towards him. As she got closer to him, he felt a sense of panic rushing through his body. What was she going to do? Was she going to yell at him? Slap him? Punch him?

She didn’t do any of those things.

Instead, she hugged him.

Her arms were wrapped around his head, where it laid against the softness of her upper chest. Shocked, he didn’t react at first. The position was unfamiliar to him; this intimacy is beyond his comfort zone.

“I’m here for you,” he heard her say softly to him, almost close to a whisper.

He cried at the moment.

Tears began to form and blind his vision. He hasn’t cried in five years yet, this girl managed to beat his defenses by saying a simple sentence. Something about her presence was comforting to him. He didn’t know why. Jungkook turned and wrapped his arms around the girl, closing the space between them as much as possible. He felt her comb through his messy hair and hush softly. When he was finished crying, they had moved to his couch. He had his arm around her and she laid her head on his shoulder while wrapped her arm across his stomach.

She didn’t ask anything from him.

He was the one who talked.

He told her about his divorced parents, both abandoning him and making his ill grandma adopt him. How hard his grandma worked in order to support him; never showing any problems with her own health in front of him. She died when he entered high school.

He talked about how he was bullied in school for having no parents and being depressed. Whenever he thought he made a new friend, it was only because they wanted to fix him. The adults only said empty words. Whenever he needed them, they never came. When his grandma died, he knew he was officially alone.

But, now, he wasn’t.

The two locked eyes with each other and a small smile finally formed onto his lips. He kissed the side of her head, which earned a small giggle from the girl. He leaned down and pressed his lips onto hers. When they pulled away, the two didn’t say anything because they knew what each other were thinking.

I love you.

That’s all he needed; he only needs her by his side.

The days and nights are no longer cold.

He is finally alive.