Overheard

Dare to Dedication - Jongup

– Three months later –

BAP’s new song began to play over the speakers within the recording studio, with most of the song recorded by now, Yongguk and Himchan entered to record the rap section of the song. Entering into the soundproof booth, both men placed headphones over their ears and adjusted the headphones accordingly while they chatted as the Sound Manager stepped out for a moment.

Little did they know that the microphone was projecting what the two men were saying out to where you were sitting.

“I didn’t really think that Jongup was going to take the bet” Yongguk began to chat as he twisted off the top of a water bottle and sipped the refreshing water inside.

“I honestly didn’t think that he would last this long” Himchan added as you began to get increasingly curious as to what they were talking about.

“I know, right?! I wonder what he is going to do now that the three months are up. If he will keep her around or drop her?” Yongguk began to reveal more and more as the conversation evolved.

“______ wouldn’t be happy if she knew that she was only his girlfriend due to a dare” Himchan words spilled from his lips as your eyes widened. Now equipped with confidential information, your heart stung with betrayal as the pain continued to deepen as the confession stood idle in your mind.

“Go ahead whenever you are ready, boys” The sound manager sat back in his chair as he turned a few switches and readied himself for the next recording bit.

Excusing yourself, you left the studio as tears stung the corner of your eyes. Finding your own place to allow some tears to slip from your eyes. You messaged your manager that you weren’t feeling well and that you needed to leave early. With your request granted a few minutes later, you gathered your things and headed out the building trying not to be seen by anyone you knew.

Walking home, to clear your head, you slipped your feet from your heels as the concrete chewed up the bottom of your feet feeling the slight pain hardly compare to the pain that was ripping through your heart. Absentmindedly wondering your way home, you tried to work through everything from the beginning, wondering what was real and what was fake.

Pushing through the door to your apartment, makeup ran down your cheeks from your extensive tears. Slamming the door behind you, you headed to your bedroom before changing into your favorite pair of pajamas. Slipping in a movie, you prepared yourself a heaping bowl of ice cream and let your tears continue to roll through the night.

A few days passed before you were obligated to head back to work. Dressed in tight jeans, tall boots and a black halter top, you kept your eyes lowered to the tile floor below as you opened the door to yet another practice room that BAP was practicing in today. Closing the door behind you, you lifted your head slowly to see Jongup smile softly towards you, just like he used to do while you were dating.

You shook your head lightly and headed to the back with the manager, putting all of your energy into your job now. Jongup watched your saddened figure move across the floor to the back table as thoughts began to pile up in his head.

The manager started the music as you lifted your head and watched one of their dances, seeing Jongup’s eyes glued on you, your mind reminded you of all of the cute smirks, inside jokes, sweet and surprising gestures that piled into those three months that you were together. Memories of late night movies, sleeping in his arms while he slowly brushed away your hair and placed a loving kiss against your cheek, began to overwhelm you. Swearing to yourself, you thought that what the two of you had was real.

Hearing the manager call for a break, he stood up as some of the guys went to get a drink of water, yet Jongup walked over to you and moved close to you as his eyes locked with yours. Feeling the tears begin to coat your eyes, you batted your eyes a few times before looking down and taking deep breaths trying to hold in those tears that you desperately wanted to spill.

“Is something wrong?” He questioned softly, his hand resting just above your knee as you didn’t more nor give an answer. “Can’t you tell me?”

Slipping off of your seat and past him, you headed towards the door as you made your way through the other members of BAP.

“_________, wait!” Jongup ran after you as his hand wrapped around your arm to keep you from going any further. “What’s wrong?”

“You” Your tear soaked eyes lifted to see his, “You just wanted to date me so that you could fulfill a bet”

“That was before, before I got to know you” He told you, his grip softening around you, while his heart dropped to the pit of his stomach knowing now that you had the full story.

“What? Now you think I’m a jerk?” You tell him as you pull your arm away from his hold, “To fall for someone like you, when you knew it was a bet all along…. Then getting me to think that this was real…”

“No, I’m the jerk” Jongup answered you, his eyes trying to convey his feelings

“We’re done” You told him as tears ran down your cheeks. Pulling your arm from his grip, you exited the practice room and requested office work from the manager to stay as far away from the boys that you could.