Chosen Ones

Behind A Suitor's Mask

Howon was not surprised when the lass asked him to dismount in the middle of nowhere, then strictly she pointed toward what was a single hill, “Princess Biah is waiting for you there on that hill,” he study the grassy hill. It was his kind of place. Knowing he can’t back out now, the fellow began striding toward the hill by taking the long way by staying on the path. While walking he tried to detect a lady’s figure, but it was bare on the hillside visible to him.

When Howon reached a certain spot on the road, he noticed a trail made in the grasses. Following the path he noticed two, a white and black, horses feeding on the green near the hill. Then from the distance he make out the seated figure. The similar scene he remembered at the ceremony. Though from the side the princess has a smaller frame from what he could recollect, though it may be that she was wearing multiple outfits as the birthday girl then.  Slowly he head toward the hill, eyes locked on the figure waiting for him. As he closes in on the princess she caught wind of his company and pivoted his way.

Once their eyes met a smile appeared on the young lady’s face as she stood up to greet him. She was wearing a thin long purple dress with a furry white scarf wrapped around her neck. As he drew himself closer to her, thoughts of what he should say cycled through his head but nothing good stuck out. Then with a hint of hesitation he stopped in his track, swirling himself all the way around to heighten his courage. Howon never thought he’d be more afraid of confronting a woman, the princess, than enter a mountain he was unfamiliar with at night.

“Hello,” Howon’s ears perked when the princess spoke, her honeyed and lovely voice unconsciously turned Howon around. She has the voice that one cannot say no to. “I’m Biah,” effortlessly the corner of her lips were pulled back and up, revealing her flawless teeth.

Howon could feel his lower jaw lowering but he couldn’t hear himself speak a word.

“You can ride right?” her random question threw Howon off, especially when he was halfway listening; the other half lost in a series of cognition. Sungjong was right that no royalty was unattractive. But why would such a beautiful princess be given away to rich sons of nobility and not princes? Or what fair princess is free to wander in the middle of nowhere where she could encounter anything or anyone? Especially when the said location is common travelling grounds for predators.

“Ride?” he somehow found himself asking in which the lass nodded. Then with two fingers near her lips, she whistled for the horses to follow. Howon watched as the pair snorted and trotted over to them, until the black nearly ran into him. Peeking out from behind the mammal’s long face, he saw how the princess easily climbed onto the back of the white.

“Please get on his back, there’s something you and I have to discuss,” she said. Howon frowned a little. Just what has she got to say to him or was she expecting something from him?

With a deep breath, knowing that he will regret his next move, the lad stepped out of line with the horse’s body for the princess to see him, “I’m sorry but princess, I’m,” Hoya formed fists and dug his nails into his palms just enough to sting him, “I’m not Lee Sungjong,” he let out with a depressing sigh, with a hint of relief. “Entering the castle was something I had to do to protect my friend and my father’s best friend. I’m not Lee Sungjong and I think it’s better if I leave instead,”

Though the lass wore an unreadable expression, she still has the warmth and kind air to her. However, Howon had wished the lady would lash out at him for lying and punish him immediately, or in the least chase him off first then have him captured later on and kill for his crimes. “I’m aware,”

Her response would have thrown Howon off the horse if he had mounted. “W-what? You knew?”

She nodded casually, no sign of surprise. Was he dreaming? How was it so easy? He committed a sin by lying to the princess and king, and somehow she came looking for him already knowing. But, why was she looking for him if she knew?  “I-if you knew then why-why are here?”

As if it was the most obvious answer, the princess replied, “Because I wanted to see you,”

“But,” Howon thought for a moment, was she just always calm or was he confusing her and she wasn’t getting what was happening, “like why? I mean, I just told you I’m not Lee Sungjong though I pretended to be him. So why do you want to see me? You shouldn’t want to see a criminal,” he explained as if he wasn't describing himself.

The princess shrugged. A gesture that would have had Howon pulling out his own hair if she wasn’t fast enough to add, “You did it for a good reason. Your actions may be wrong but it was for good intentions. You said you did it to protect your friend and your father’s best friend right? Wasn’t it for Lee Sungjong and Sir Lee?”

Howon nodded. Listening to her wording it that way made him feel less bad.

With a soft hummed she continued, “I’m proud of you,”

His mind scrambled. “P-proud?” Proud was not a word to be thrown around between strangers. Just what is this princess like? Is she just genuinely nice and supportive?

“Very proud,” without another word she pulled the rope on her horse, inching it to strode forward. Taken by surprise Howon moved out of the way before looking toward her departing. Not understanding what was happening, the princess noticed and called out to him. “Now, we can’t talk if I’m getting farther and farther away can we?” Her hints lured Howon to climbed onto the horse’s back moments later, after he struggled to get on properly when he was used to traveling on his own two feet instead. Then as he slowly caught up to her, they reached the road and started down the opposite direction.

When Howon studied the princess up and down, he realized the princess really look like a princess. Her neat character and the whiteness of the horse gave her a rich appeal. “What did you want to discuss...princess?” He still couldn’t believe he was riding beside a princess, not many get to see members from the royal bloodline in their lifetime.

“Please pick a date or a good day you’ll welcome me,”

“Welcome you…?”

“When will be a good time for a formal introductory?” she asked.

Howon scratched the back of his head, “Are you asking me to set up a date for you and the suitor you’ve chosen?”

The lass smiled as she glanced over to him, “Since you will be my husband, you must choose the date you will introduce your family and I. I will also be moving in with you as your wife,” unannounced Howon pulled his horse back from moving, surprised the princess stopped just feet in front of him. Looking at one another, Howon couldn’t utter a word. Was she serious? Why was he the husband? Just what happened after he was terminated? From what he knew the princess had chose her suitor, but how could it be him when he was kicked out at the very last moment?

“Princess, I—”

“Lee Sungjong isn’t your name right? So, can I know the name of my suitor?”

“Princess I don’t—”

“So, what is your name again?”

Giving in to her question, Howon softly answered, “It’s Lee Howon,”

“Lee Howon,” the princess said then with another pretty smile she added, “Howon. Please tell me when you’ve picked a date,”

~~~~~~~~~

When Howon got home later that night, he spotted Myungsoo pacing the ground in front of his home. With a sigh he approached the unlikable lad. “You guys are still here?”

Myungsoo, upon noticing his presence, greeted with a bow, “It’s only me,”

“Why?” Howon scanned the dead and quiet place, “Where’s Sungjong?”

“He uh,” before Myungsoo could complete his sentence, the sound of rustling footsteps could be heard coming their direction. Then out of the blue a loud, new voice hollered out Howon’s name.

“Get out here you trashy, cheating, lying fellow!” Howon and Myungsoo were surprised to see two tall men at his gates, but it was less scary when one was definitely Sungjong. However, the pretty one looked disturbed and worried. “Ah here you are,” the tallest of the newcomer pointed directly at Howon while they stomped his way.

Howon was nearly shocked when the nameless one was just inches away from Howon’s face, ready to destroy Howon, before softening his expression. “Wow,” left the unknown’s lips as Howon peeked behind his shoulder. Somehow Myungsoo had caught the attention of the very angry lad. Without warning the tallest rest a hand to Howon’s shoulder and shoved him to the side before stepping up to Myungsoo. “Are you man or god?”

Unforeseen and puzzled expressions were drawn over Howon, Myungsoo, and Sungjong’s face when the question left the stranger’s mouth. “I, I’m man,” Myungsoo answered with quick blinks. “W-why?”

Without another word the tallest grabbed onto one of Myungsoo’s hand and rose it between their chests, “Be mine, alright?” Looking at him as if he was psycho, Howon slid over to Sungjong’s side to get answers.

“Who is that?”

Sungjong shook his head, “Sungyeol,”

Howon raised a brow, “It can’t be, you mean to say he’s your cousin that was at the princess’s birthday ceremony?”

“Yeah and apparently it seemed like after you were terminated he felt that it was unfair and went to the King to reveal your participation,”

Howon was ready to freak, “What?”

“Don’t worry, my father beat my cousin to it and convinced the King I was very sick and could not attend in case the princess catches it,” Sungjong explained.

“Do you hear me?!” the now identified as Sungyeol asked aloud, now clutching both of Myungsoo’s hands. While ignoring their commotion, Howon went on to further question Sungjong.

“Then, does the King know who the princess chose?”

“No,” Sungjong hummed, “his majesty does not interfere with whom the princess chooses,”

“Why?” Howon asked, surprised that the father of the country do not care for who he give his daughters away to.

“Remember the party only has wealthy and attractive suitor attendees so when those suitor or their fathers work for the king, would they be able to boast if they mistreat the princess they married in? No way,”

Howon shook his head, “Unbelievable,”

Sungjong scoffed at the lad’s response, “you’re going to have to work even harder, especially when the King expects you to treat his daughter like the princess she is. You, compare to those men cannot keep her here in this small shabby home,”

“Are you crazy? Why would I marry the princess? My mother has to come first. Beside after living here for years, she’s good at getting around when I’m not home. Why would I change that for her?” Howon asked, annoyed with Sungjong’s ignorance. But when the younger click his tongue and shook his head, Howon got a strange feeling in his gut.

“Mothers are fine. She would want you and your wife to live comfortably. Also, what do you mean why would you marry the princess? Haven’t you heard that she chose you?”

“No, she chose you, Lee Sungjong,” Howon quickly fired.

“Whatever even the King know you went in place of me,” Sungjong said with a flick of his short hair. Then before Howon could counter, Myungsoo rushed over to the younger.

“Let’s go, he’s crazy!” Myungsoo said grabbing onto Sungjong and taking off. Howon watched as the tallest was for whatever reason getting up from off the ground. Then with his wobbling legs, the fellow followed Myungsoo and Sungjong without sparing Howon a word or look. Howon shook his heads as they took off, then as he got close to the door he noticed his mother.

“Sungjong is right Howon, when you marry the princess let’s move. Don’t let me be of burden to you,”

“Mother—”

Cutting him off, his mother added, “I bet the princess is beautiful. You are really your father’s son. I remember out of a few hundred, he also caught my eyes. Him and his pure suitor mask, how I was able to marry and live with him, my chosen one,”

 

The End