Punishment

Behind A Suitor's Mask

Three days later….

After getting terminated Howon did not care for news of the aftermath. Whether the faceless princess was married or which suitor was chosen, Howon just did not want to know. The lad was chopping more logs, unaware that he has chopped enough to keep his mother and himself warm for the next five years all year long. He supposed getting expose was indeed more than he could handle.

From behind he felt someone’s weight but didn’t know he was body-slammed by Sungjong. The youth latched an arm around his neck when he did not respond, “Lee Howon, quit taking your anger out on the trees. They’ve done nothing wrong to you!” The taller and younger leaned backward as he bend Howon with him, but the strength of the shorter kept him standing still. “Ah, Lee Howon! Come back to your senses will you!”

Walking around the still at work Howon, Myungsoo stopped the man from any further motion by taking the axe from the other’s grip, “That’s enough, you’ve done more than enough,”

Howon finally changed his composure when his work was literally striped from him, his quick turn of his heels caused Sungjong to stumbled off of him, “What are you guys doing here? Didn’t I told you both to quit coming or I’ll have you taken back to Lord Lee?” Howon’s sharp tone left Sungjong’s speechless, “Actually it’s great that you’re here. Why don’t you pay me back for the mask I had to buy to cover for you? That mask cost me most of my life savings, what mask is so expensive when it’s nothing but trash?”

Sungjong tried to calm his older friend by keeping a low voice, “You know I ran away from home and refused any financial help from my family…,”

“What are you doing then? Go back home so you can pay me back,” Howon stated. Out of habit Myungsoo came in between them, guarding Sungjong from Howon.

“Haven’t we established that we will pay you back when my pot sell at the pottery shop?”

Howon scoffed before his dry, cracked lips, “Then where is the money?”

Myungsoo lowered his defensing arms and dig into his clothes then quickly he pulled out a poor, raggedy bag and handed it to the other, “Here, this should be enough to cover the mask and your loss during the time you went to and was at the castle,”

Internally the money was the least of Howon’s concern. Other than spending it on his mother’s medicine and food, money was really no issue for him. He let out a sigh before turning his back to the pair and resting his hands on his hips. “Leave it and go,”

As a rebellious couple, the two ignored his wish and continued to stand their ground, “I know we’re not friends but I have heard alot about you from Jong to know you’re not this way. He described you as worried-free and someone who always has his head on straight. Also I know it’s not my place to request this of you, but as Jong is very concern for your well-being I’m going to ask this of you. Please share your worries with us. We may be able to help you,”

Howon was halfly in disbelief, when was he someone who would share his troubles with a man he disliked. Or rather someone he despised ever since he caught Sungjong being in a relationship with. Not only did they make an unusual couple but Myungsoo physically stole Sungjong away from the younger’s father, the man whom Howon owe so much debt to. “I’m not troubled,” Howon turned his body halfway before looking Myungsoo in the eyes, “I’m just annoyed, and for someone smart like you you should be able to tell the difference and know to leave me alone right?”

Angry at Howon’s words, Sungjong stepped out from behind Myungsoo’s back and stomped a foot in front of the ground between the two, “I’ve had it! I told you that it was all in your head when you thought you were found out!” Sungjong flicked his bangs away from his eyes, with so much anger rushing through him the lad found himself shaking his head and jumping in front of Howon multiple times, “Even my aunt said the princess had removed her mask when yours were taken off, so everyone was only focused on the princess!” Sungjong took a deep breath, but it didn’t calm him down, “The voices you said you heard were all in your head! As you can see father, me, and you are still living normally! The royals had no idea you were me even when they kicked you out!”

Howon ignored the younger’s screaming and shouting action toward him and instead began walking away. However, he could not outrun the sprinting Sungjong while walking, the younger slammed down a hand on his broad shoulder to halt him in his steps, “Howon listen to me! I get it, your pride was probably hurt when whoever that jerk was pulled off your mask but still listen to me—”

Howon slapped the younger’s hand away, “Shut it! I don’t want to hear what you or anyone else’s got to say. You don’t understand how I felt when I thought I got caught! What do someone like you know? Someone like you who ran away from home and from your father will never understand!”

“No—!” Sungjong tried to intercept.

“Running away has always been your forte! Death has always been your weapon! You’re always so good at running away from your problems and it was always I who had to cover for you!” Howon tried to push the younger away from him, but the latter grabbed onto his bare arms.

“No! I’m not like that!”

“You are like that! How many times have you tried to kill yourself you idiot?!” Howon questioned. As they argued back and forth, nothing but their voices grew louder and louder.

“No!” Sungjong hollered.

“Hey!” Instantly Myungsoo jumped into the fighting pair. “Stop it you two! There’s a guest!” At the sound of Myungsoo’s warning, the two stopped fighting and looked over to the gate. Holding onto a white horse’s rein was an unfamiliar lady. With a small bow of her head she looked directly at Howon.

“You’re Lee Sungjong right…?”

Sungjong followed the lass’s eyes, wanting to say he was Sungjong. But before he could ruin it, the lass continue. “Good evening. I came from the castle. Will you follow me to a place?”

Howon frowned, “Who are you? What place?”

The lass smiled before answering, “There is a place you must follow me to,”

Exchanging looks the three lads look from one to another before Howon said, “I was terminated during the finale. I have no further business with the castle, in fact I’m not Lee—”

“He’s trying to say he’s not ready to leave yet, that’s why he will go inside and get ready first,” Sungjong jumped in with the most friendly and most emphasized tone he could muster before shoving Howon toward his own house. When Howon frowned at the younger’s unexpected push, Sungjong only looked over his shoulder and wave his brows, making sure Howon do as Sungjong said he was doing.

When Howon came out wearing the same outside Sungjong had provided him with for the ceremony, Sungjong was taken aback by the older’s slow sense. Why was he wearing the outfit made specifically for princess’s suitors? Then slowly he reminded himself that Howon was still part of lower-class. He casually face-palmed himself before Howon meet him at shoulder to shoulder.

“Since you’re the real Lee Sungjong, why am I going with this woman and not you?” Howon muttered to only Sungjong.

“Are you crazy? If father finds out that I was summoned to the palace then that’s the end to me ever seeing our Myungsoo again,” Sungjong uttered back in his softest possible voice.

Our?” Howon asked in a low, disgusted tone.

“Just go, I will take care of your mother in case you don’t return in time for dinner,” Sungjong said. Howon rolled his eyes but decided to approach the lass as he wouldn’t want to give her any weird thoughts. Afterall she looked like a castle worker and may report his doings to the king. Or perhaps, has he really been caught as the fake Lee Sungjong? Was asking for Lee Sungjong a trap to get him back to castle so he can receive his death sentence? Is he being overly dramatic? When has he been so dramatic? Was it because he was never good at lying but this was going over his limits so he’s freaking out?

“Please get on the horse, young master,” the lass said. Being nice was one thing, but addressing him as young master when he was definitely under her sent a shiver down his spine. When Howon got on the horse, he saw how Sungjong smiled at him as if their fight from before meant nothing. Then he glanced at Myungsoo who assured his safe return with a nod and effortlessly smile. Howon gave him an annoyed look before allowing the horse to be led by the woman.

As expected, silence joined them on the path to an unknown destination. Uneasy Howon finally broke the ice, “Sorry but where are you going? This isn’t the way to the castle,” or was it a shortcut?

“We’re not going to the castle young master,” the lady said as she smiled at him. Only if she knew she was scaring every muscle of Howon. Has the King ordered Howon be killed somewhere else other than in the city or castle? Was he going to be ridden off of in the middle of nowhere? What would become of his mother if that happens to him?

“I’m sorry then where are you taking me? And how much farther do we need to go?” he asked, hoping the lass wasn’t knowing that Howon will make a run for it depending on her answer.

“To where Lee Biah is,”

Howon wanted to fall off the horse. If only he knew who Lee Biah is, maybe he would be able to plan his next move. “Lee Biah…? Who is that? A punisher of some sort?” Howon was surprised when a soft chuckle left the woman’s lips.

“Young master Lee, I didn’t know you were so funny,” her uncalled for comment put Howon on edge. With that kind of playful tone while he was freaking out, what was a man supposed to think?

“Seriously, is Lee Biah a hired assassin?”

The woman let out another laugh, this time causing the horse to snortle in surprised and Howon scared for his life. If the horse join him in freaking out too, Howon will most definitely get hurt. “No young master, quit joking around. The princess will be upset if she hears you,”

The princess? So Lee Biah is the princess, huh? Howon’s eyes widened.

“What?! Princess?!”

“Yes young master,”

Howon hung his head. His day was just getting worse and worse. At this rate he wouldn’t be surprise if the princess wanted to personally handled his punishment, particularly when he was the one to ruin her birthday. Then a thought occured in his mind.

Which birthday was this? How old is the princess?