The Day Of

Behind A Suitor's Mask

The castle’s gate was wide open and through the oval holes Howon could see people entering the King’s home. Most came in wagons, horsebacks, and even carriers but Howon was the only one who had came on foot, despite living so far away from the heart of the city. Slowly he approached the bold, black gates afraid of what await him.

Even from the outside Howon was always curious as to why when his father was still alive, why was his father so intrigued in getting him into the castle. Nothing about the ancient and large building impressed Howon, in fact he enjoyed the plain sight of dirt or tall dead grasses instead. When Howon came close to walking through the entrance, his shoulder slightly brushed another masked man coming out of a wagon.

Quickly Howon bowed and apologize then moved on, wasting no time on the offended one who was brushing his own shoulder. Inside was much larger than Howon had expected, the long path to the castle’s front door would take a lot more steps. Meanwhile, under the path was a stream, so clear that Howon could see the coins sparkling from under the surface. He realized he was standing on a bridge with a fall of at least ten feet over the half-height stone walls. Scanning his surrounding, Howon noticed no one cared for the sight of the castle as people hurry into the construction.

Of course I can’t be acting like it’s my first time here, with that thought in mind Howon resist getting distracted and followed the rest. Inside he saw what appeared to be a mix of an arena and ballroom with a diameter of thirty feet. Sitting around the ring on three different floors and behind wooden fences for security was the audience Sungjong spoke of. It really was a show. Looking up, Howon saw that the location of the stage had no ceiling or roof thus only the sun’s light made way for the attendees.

Then right across from him was a set of stairs that led up to a single fourth floor where a twin stone chairs were set side by side, facing down at the circle. He knew they were the seats for the King and princess to sit in order to observe and decide on the princess’s husband-to-be. In no time the floor were flooded with men in the same outfit yet very different masks. Howon was relieved to see when most masks stood out compared to his, some had real animal horns on them, others had rare animal fur, money, pheasant feathers in the form of horns, rich fabrics that hang over the nose and mouth from under eye masks, and much more exotic ones.

He was also glad to see a few bare masks like his, except they exposed the men’s nostril and lips. He supposed the princess may look for nice nostrils and lips shape as well thus boosted his belief that he will not be easily noticed. Once noon take over, the king and princess presented themselves in what one would expect.

The King in tidy, one-of-a-kind fabric with handsome appeals and the princess—Howon tilted his head to the side when he saw that the princess’s lower face was blanketed with a white cloth. Why was the princess’s face covered? He doesn’t recall Sungjong mentioning any of the like. Around him, he started to pick up what was happening as the men around him begin mumbling and whispering. The princess isn’t showing her face. The princess’s face is hidden. What is going on? I wanted to see what this princess looked like. For a split second Howon stopped himself. Why was he also interested in what the princess looked like? It’s not like he’s going to make sure he marry her anyway.

Howon easily pulled himself out of the curious group and began wondering how his mother was doing. Normally during every afternoon his mother would remind herself of the house and wander around touching and feeling things. Howon had lost his mother plenty of times when they first moved in, which was why they were able to build a relationship with their neighbors and was comfortable enough to trust them in case his mother get lost again.

“Lee Sungjong,” a voice called.

Howon pursed his lips as he began to zone in.

“Is a Lee Sungjong here?”

Lee Sungjong? Why was someone looking for Sungjong? Howon glanced up and look around, surprised that roll call had started.

“Last call, Lee Sungjong!”

“O-oh!” He raised his hands, while staring at him was a short man, on the set of chairs, in a long robe. Was he the announcer?

“You’re Lee Sungjong?” the elder asked once more and earned a nod from Howon. “Are you feeling unwell?” the sudden question surprised Howon. Why would the latter ask him that? “If you’re feeling ill then speak up. A suitor in bad shape does not qualify to stay for the ceremony,” the lad warned.

For a moment Howon knew, this could be the perfect timing to opt out from this event.

“I—”

Howon was cut off by an angry tone, “Can we get a move on? What sick suitor would not inform the royalty if he’s in bad condition ahead of time?” the single caller was backed up by many on the floor and some in the audience.

“Then, I will call the next suitor,” the older said once he was able to get everyone to quiet down. Meanwhile, Howon was trying to detect who was the impatient disturber. He was so close to leaving and one other ruined it for him. “Lee Sungwoon!” Howon was finally able to spot the man who had been glaring at him. The spotted was a much taller man with a smaller but strong build.

“Just don’t let me be your opponent or I will destroy you,” Hoya muttered.

After roll call the games begin. From archery to spearing fishes, spearing logs with golden ropes wrapped around it, Howon tried to hide in despite wanting to beat the man identified as Lee Sungyeol during the guest roster. As the afternoon flew by, lunch was served for both suitors and audience on a long table on the bridge. With the gate closed, Howon found it stuffy as people ate around him. As suitors could not de-mask, most with full mask had to pull up their disguise halfway to eat.

As Howon try his thoughts somewhere else other than food, he didn’t noticed someone approaching until an arm was lounge around his shoulder. “Hey,” with a dangerously hushed tone, Howon was surprised to see who it was.

“Lord Lee?!” Howon asked under a tone to match other other.

“Come with me,” the lad said leaning into Howon’s ear. As he dragged Howon into a less crowded corner the elder quickly drop the bomb. “Howon, you can’t leave on your own but can be terminated for the second half. It no longer matter to me if you stay until the end. Afterall Sungjong will never marry the princess now,”

Fazed Howon questioned, “Why?”

“It’s all my fault,”

“What is?”

“I didn’t realize that Sungjong’s cousin would be attending as well. By now I’m sure he know you’re not Sungjong. So get terminated and I’ll make sure Sungjong’s cousin stay quiet about this,”

Howon could feel the beating of his heart pick up, “Sungjong cousin is here?”

“Yes so make sure during the second half make sure you break the rules and get kick out. When you get home, I’ll visit after speaking to Sungyeol. I’m sorry,” to avoid any unwanted attention or giving anyone any bad ideas, Lord Lee departed first casually. Howon became earnest in wanting to know who Sungjong’s cousin was. As he rethink the names being called, none strike him as familiar.

Howon thought of ways to break the rules. The problem was he doesn’t know what the rules were. As he wander for clues, the eyes of the princess caught his attention. As long as he could remember, she has been stranded in her seat ever since that afternoon, under the umbrella brought out to shield her from the sun. Beside her the King’s seat was surprisingly empty. However, what kept Howon’s most interest was the look in the princess’s evenly ovate eyes.

Was she looking at him too? Or was she looking past him? Through him? Questions ran through Howon’s head, but one thing for sure was the princess was a beauty. By the look of her young, sparkling big eyes, pale skin, and what Sungjong had claimed stating that there were no unattractive royalty out there. For a moment Howon wished he could see her up close. Despite her sitting still and remaining quiet, her persona was inviting. Her eyes were “beautiful,” Howon unconsciously whispered.

Howon’s perception of the ninth princess was trim short when the second half of the ceremony was announced to be starting. As everyone returned to their place, Howon somehow found himself slipping back into his place unintentionally. The following declaration of the announcer stole and kept his senses. “As everyone can see, this year the princess has her face covered as well. From here on out until the suitor in favor of the princess is chosen, her highness will too conceal her face. So whenever the princess has decided on her suitor, she may unmask herself. Then all shall wish her a happy birthday and congratulate her and her husband-to-be,”

Once the announcement was over, a drum was beat to signal the start of another round of competitions. Instantly what Lord Lee had said flew over his head. If he want to see the princess’s face he must stay till the end. Getting disqualified is an option, but it wouldn’t matter if he’s not chosen.

The second half was sparring. Sparring after eating led to a handful of the three hundred men vomitting their lunch. Howon who had to fight on an empty stomach made him weak, especially when he had to go up against the firm Sungyeol. Howon was almost certain Sungyeol would win the princess over as the taller had somehow won most of the games. When their round begin, Howon was more than surprise to discover that breaking or taking one’s mask off was a foul.

In which he had to learn the hard way when Sungyeol pulled off his mask in front of everyone. Not only Howon but his co-suitors and watchers were surprised to see him without a mask. Howon froze knowing people would know he wasn’t Lee Sungjong.

“What the?”

“That’s….”

“He’s without his mask!”

“This is the end for him.”

For what felt like the longest time, Howon could not hear anything but the sound of his rapid heartbeat and the words of him spreading around the circle. What will happen to him now? What about Lord Lee or Sungjong? Has he doomed them all?