Not Fair

Beautifully Hwarang

 

“...that’s not fair.”

 

Hearing your voice, Banryu turned around to give you a quizzical look. He had just gotten out of the showers, and the last thing he had expected to see upon returning was his older half-sister in the room.  Although surprising, the sight was still was refreshing.

 

Even though you were siblings, you were raised and lived outside of the capital. Your mother had given birth to you when she was really young, and because your father had died in a war before the two of them could get married, you were left to stay with your maternal grandparents. As far as anyone outside of Banryu and your mother’s family was concerned, you were not related in any immediate ways. You were played off as the cousin of Banryu or the niece of your mother, depending on who was asking.

 

To be completely honest...you didn’t really mind it that much. Or, at least you didn’t anymore. As a teenager, you were always bitter about the situation, even going as far as to mutter curses at your innocent little half-brother. You knew that Banryu had nothing to do with your angst, but you just needed some kind of outlet, and him being younger and far away only made it easier for you to brood. Nowadays, though, you enjoyed the sense of anonymity and security it all allowed you. Sure, you were still a True Bone that held a high rank, but living outside of the capital meant living outside all the hectic bustle and dirty politics, two things you most definitely did not feel the need for in your life.

 

“What?” he offhandedly asked, making his way to his closet to pick out some clothing.

“Here wait, I’ve gotten clothes all ready for you,” you stop him, standing up and gesturing to the outfit already laid out to be used.

 

Looking at you and looking at the clothes, you could see the small shift of emotion in your younger brother’s eyes. If anyone was truly aware of your status, it was him, sometimes to an extent that you yourself weren’t aware of. Seeing as your parentage was kept hidden, you were always treated lower than he was by the other nobles and officials during your visits to the capital. You knew that he didn’t like it, seeing as you were his only sibling, but he had no choice, especially with that step-father of his always watching his every move like a hawk.

 

“You know you don’t have to do this,” he reminded you, nodding to the clothes you had started to gather into your arms.

“I know,” you answered with a shrug, making your way over to him anyway, “but I want to seeing as you’re my younger brother and I rarely get to see you these days.”

 

With a sigh, he let you do your thing. Although you kept the conversation going, asking about your mother, his father, the Hwarang House, and your life as well, you couldn’t help but occasionally chuckle at how much it felt like you were playing dress up with a full-sized male doll. Of course, Banryu would roll his eyes at your giggles, but inside you knew how much he treasured these moments as well.

 

Although you wanted to take him away to the capital’s outskirts even for just a day or two of relaxation, you knew it wasn’t a possibility at all. Even without the rules of the Hwarang House, you were completely aware of the puppet master-like step-father. Seeing how miserable he made your younger brother only fueled your dislike for the ancient man. Though Banryu might deny it, you knew that your unannounced visits were a breath of fresh air in his toxic life, so you tried to come over as much as you possibly could.

 

“...I miss you, you know,” you randomly confessed as you finished dressing him, making sure not even one crease would be visible to even the most critical eye.

You weren't the type to really say these types of things, but after hearing about all the commotion currently going on in the capital, you just really felt like letting him know. Although he didn’t say it back himself, you could tell just how he felt by the way he smiled at you. You weren’t sure exactly how it happened, but over the years, you two had become masters at silent conversation, a skill that was especially helpful around the nobles seemed to despise staying in their own homes.

Already out of character, you decided to make the most out it by wrapping your arms around Banryu to give him a hug. You couldn’t remember the last time you had hugged your younger brother as so, but the warm feeling you got whenever he would hug you back always seemed to imprint itself into your heart. You really wished that you were able to spend more time with him, making long-lasting memories together as typical siblings do, but with his social status and your hidden origins, it just wasn’t possible.

 

“Regardless of what life will bring you,” you say as the two of you finally let go and pull away, “never forget that you’ve got an older sister who will always have you back, no matter what.”

“The sentiments are the same,” Banryu affirmed, making you proud to see how he could still show sincerity and compassion in the toxic and cold-hearted world his father and step-father had thrown them into.

 

As Banryu had to now go back to the Hwarang House, you bid him farewell and good fortune, making plans to possibly visit for the Thanksgiving Festival that was soon approaching. Turning to leave the house, you decided to pull him in for one last hug and a few last words, for who knew what the future would hold for the two of you.

 

“I love you very much, even though it’s not fair your hair looks better in a bun than mine does.”

 

 

 

 

 

 


January 14, 2016