Crush to Something More?

Midnight Illusions Collection of Short Stories

Story for Park Sunhi

Written by happybubblelove

http://midnight-illusionsx.blogspot.com/

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Park Sunhi took a deep breath, pushing the door of her new classroom and walk into the room. It was her first day of school in Seoul Academy and she was extremely nervous. Although she was sure that it wouldn’t be as horrendous as she made it seem, she was still uncomfortable as she took her first few steps in the classroom. Her eyes scanned the room and landed on a group of people in the back, including a couple of girls that were laughing at her. Unconsciously, she started playing with her hair and walked towards the teacher, who was giving her a warm smile. She gave a small smile in return.

“Class, this is Park Sunhi. She just moved here from America and she’s new here.” Mr. Kim announced to the class and she turned to face them with a nervous smile. “Sunhi, why don’t you take a seat next to Kwanghee?” She saw a boy raise his hand, his warm, chocolate brown eyes twinkling as he grinned cheekily at her.

Sunhi was more than relieved to see a kind face in the room on unfamiliar faces and she felt herself smile in return. Clutching her books in her arms tightly, she began to make her way to the empty seat beside Kwanghee. On her way, she tripped over someone’s foot and nearly fell on the floor before she caught herself. She glanced to her left to see a girl staring at her with wide eyes.

“Aigoo, I am so sorry! I didn’t mean to!” She started apologizing and Sunhi shook her head.

“It’s alright, don’t worry about it.” Sunhi smiled back at the girl before finally making it to her seat. The day moved on rather quickly and eventually, the last bell rang. Sunhi was putting her books away in her locker when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“A-annyeonghasayo!” She greeted when she realized that it was the boy, Kwanghee, who had smiled at her during class.

“Annyeong!” He greeted loudly, waving at her. With a quiet giggle, she waved back at him, her dimples showing up. “I wanted to know if you were okay. This school is really big and it’s really easy to get lost.”

“I think that I’m starting to get used to the school! Thank you!” She responded happily, taking out her bag and closing her locker.

“If you need any help, just find me and I’ll be happy to help!” He said kindly, and waved goodbye to her, explaining that he had promised to meet up with a few friends after school. She smiled, pushing a strand of hair back with her hand as she started walking away from the school, a bright smile on her face as she went.

 * * * * *

The next day, she was walking down a hallway before her class started when she was suddenly stopped by the girl who had tripped her yesterday.

“Good morning!” Sunhi greeted her with a cute wave and when the girl did nothing but glare back at her, she started getting uncomfortable.

“Who do you think you are?” The girl demanded immediately.

“W-what are you talking about?” Sunhi stuttered, feeling herself shrink back as the girl continued yelling at her.

“You come in here like you’re some kind of princess and act like you own the school or something! Just because you have the looks, you think that you’re the most amazing girl here! I don’t even know what the guys see in you! You’re probably all plastic or something. You’re nothing but a w-“The girl started to raise her hand up as if she were about to hit her and Sunhi felt the tears start to blur her vision as she tried not to cry.

“That’s enough, Sulli.” Sunhi heard a familiar voice cut off and turned to see Kwanghee there, with the most serious expression on her face she had ever seen him with. He stood in front of her, as if blocking her from Sulli and started ranting. “She has been nothing but nice to you. She even forgave you for tripping her yesterday during class! Why are you acting like such a spoiled child right now? Just because you’re jealous of Sunhi doesn’t mean that you can take it out on her!”

“Oppa…” Sulli whined, shocked that Kwanghee would choose to stand up with Sunhi rather than with her.

“Come on, Sunhi.” He grabbed a hold of her hand and started tugging her away from where Sulli and her group of friends watched them leave, their mouths open in shock.

* * * * *

Because of the incident, Sunhi and Kwanghee started getting much closer and spent a lot of time together. They became the best of friends and as time passed, Sunhi started falling for Kwanghee.

“Sunhi!” She saw Kwanghee wave to her excitedly down the hall and stopped, waiting for him to reach her. Thinking about him made her heart start to skip a beat and the butterflies in her stomach start to flutter. Since the day he had defended her, he had been nothing but loud, funny, and impossibly sweet to her and she was extremely grateful.

She blushed as he swung his arm around her shoulder, walking casually towards the lunch room without a care in the world. Sunhi wanted nothing more than to be with him, to be able to confess her feelings but she was terrified. She didn’t want to risk ruining their friendship for something as silly as her crush.

“Wait here, I’ll be right back. I need to go talk to my friends for a moment.” Kwanghee walked off to join his friends, Z:EA, a group full of kingkas, who were making loud jokes with each other. Sunhi smiled as she took a seat next to her other friend, IU.

“Annyeong, unnie.” She greeted her with a smile and IU waved back at her. As soon as IU turned back to her lunch, the smile dropped a bit and a sigh escaped her lips as she thought of her situation wit Kwanghee. What was she supposed to do about her feelings. 

“Sunhi-dongsaeng, what’s wrong?” IU spoke up suddenly, pulling Sunhi out of her train of thought. Immediately, Sunhi shook her head.

“Nothing’s wrong, unnie! I’m fine!” She tried to speak convincingly but IU’s disbelieving look told her that it didn’t work.

“Just tell me, tell me, t-t-t-t-t-tell me~” IU sang out dorkily, her voice hitting the notes perfectly. Sunhi stifled her giggle and gave in, leaning close to whisper in her ear.

“My heart hurts.” She admitted to her unnie, before leaning way and resting her head on crossed arms on the table.

“Is it Kwanghee?” IU asked knowingly, and Sunhi looked at her, surprised that she would know when she hadn’t even told her what was wrong. “Don’t be silly. Everyone knows that you like him, everyone except Kwanghee himself.” She smiled gently at Sunhi.

“What do I do, unnie? Ever since he helped me when Sulli was mean to me, I’ve been feeling this towards him. I don’t want to ruin our friendship.” Sunhi pouted, completely lost at what she should do.

“You’re so silly, Sunhi-ah. He likes you too.” The chopsticks she had been holding dropped with a loud clack and she stared at IU with open.

“Ah, really? He does?” She spoke a little too loudly and blushed when she realized that people were staring, looking down with pink cheeks.

“Neh, he told me himself.” IU laughed as she revealed his secret and Sunhi flushed even redder, remaining silent for the rest of the lunch period.

 * * * * *

“Sunhi-ah, what’s wrong?” Kwanghee suddenly stopped walking as they went through a stroll in the part. Sunhi looked at him, confused.

“Nothing’s wrong, oppa. Why are you asking?” She averted her eyes, unable to look in the face without getting uncomfortable. Ever since IU told her earlier, she couldn’t help but blush every time she looked at Kwanghee.

“You aren’t as talkative as you usually are and you aren’t smiling as wide as you did before.” She hid a smile at his observations. He really did know her better than anyone else. “Was it something I did?” Sunhi shook her head.

“Oppa, you didn’t do anything.” She replied. “It was just something that IU-unnie said to me during lunch.”

“What did she say to you?” He asked curiously, taking a seat on the bench as she followed suit, sitting next to him.

“She told me that you told her that you liked me.” She spoke quickly, trying to rush her words together. She blushed again, looking down at her lap when she suddenly felt a finger lift her chin up. He tilted her chin up until their eyes met and he smiled gently at her.

“Didn’t you know that, Sunhi-ah?” He asked her softly and she bit her lower lip, shaking her head no. Kwanghee let out a quiet laugh. “I was hoping to keep it to myself unless I was certain that you felt the same way but I guess it’s too late for that. I’m sorry that you had to find out that way. If you don’t return my feelings, I can’t blame you.” He leaned away to look up into the blue sky, a slightly bitter smile on his face.

“But that’s the problem, oppa. I do feel the same way.” She whispered quietly so that he had to strain to hear it and then he turned to her with a disbelieving smile.

“Really?” Sunhi smiled at him and nodded, a dazzling smile of her own starting to make its way to her face. Kwanghee grinned back at her before the grin dropped and his expression getting serious again. He leaned closer and closer to her and Sunhi eventually closed her eyes before their lips met in a soft kiss.

“Saranghae, Park Sunhi.” He whispered against her lips, his warm breath against her skin. With a content smile, she kissed him again before she responded.

“Saranghae…”