Breaking A Promise

Midnight Illusions Collection of Short Stories
story for lee haru.
partner is choi minho of shinee.
 
All Rights Reserved. Please do not plagiarize.
-----
 
I looked intently at the mirror as the royal dressmaker took my measurements. One thing I loved about being the Crown Prince is people take me seriously, pays full attention and respect and always take care of me. They're expected to pay respect to me even though I have no relations to them whatsoever, and it feels good. Friends? I don't need them, I have my family; the King, Queen and the Queen Mother who I also call grandmother. I also have the royal servants who I used to play with when I was young. There's the royal chef who cooks the best foods in the country and my royal driver who drives my limo. Although when he turned 62, I felt obligated to learn how to transport myself to different places without his help. So when I turned 18 which was 2 years ago, I bought my very own royal motorcycle. I call it BoBo.
 
You're thinking why I call everyone royal, even my very own motorcycle. If I must tell you everything, I am the Crown Prince of the republic of Korea, South. I was proclaimed one as soon as I was born and because my father is the Prime Minister of the country. My everyday life is quite challenging and interesting at the same time; I get to travel to different places and meet new people but I also have to meet the right ones. Trusting the wrong person must be the worst thing to do.
 
Need an example? Well, go ask my wonderful (sarcastic tone) and adorable parents who trusted my marriage with a princess who I've never met, ever, in my life. No wait blame my grandparents for it. They're the ones who planned it without even asking me. They said they already informed me a couple of years ago and I was just too ignorant and young to listen and understand. But I still blame them.
 
"Your majesty, is it comfortable?" The palace's dressmaker, or more known as Key, asked as he straightened the blue suit that I was wearing. I nodded and turned, looking at the full-body-size mirror hanging on the wall. I smiled. Key never fails to surprise me. "This is awesome, Key hyung."
 
He meekly smiled. "Please, your majesty, call me Kibu--"
 
"Hyung. I'll call you Key hyung; you're older than me you know that? And we've known each other since you started designing my own diapers," I replied.
 
We bursted out laughing.
 
Three knocks faded in the room. Two knocks meant danger, don't open the door because I have someone dangerous with me. Three knocks meant sorry to disturb, may I come in or I have a message for you. Four knocks is informal, this was only told to personal companions or friends of the royal family. I commanded a yes as the door opened. It was the Queen Mother and she looked happy to see me dressed in a formal suit. Key bowed and so did I before we continued.
 
"So, what do you think Kibum-sshi, does the Crown Prince look decent?" she asked.
 
Key nodded his head. "Neh, your highness."
 
"I do hope the Crown Princess appreciate me. Key hyung took time to prepare this suit for me," I bitterly said.
 
Queen Mother sighed. Here we go again. "Look, Crown Prince, we've been over this! You and the Crown Prince are arranged to marry each other, whether you like it or not. Would you stop complaining?" Then she grabbed her chest. "Aish, you always give me problems, dear. With you acting like this, I believe I'll die soon."
 
I knelt down beside her and grabbed her hand. "It's not that I like it- I disapprove of it. Arranged marriages are, not in nowadays, Queen Mother."
 
"Not 'in?' Aigoo, you think of things like these? You're the Crown Prince, dear, I know you don't like it but just endure it. Someday, you're going to thank me and your parents for fixing this engagement," she smiled and fixed her dress. "The Crown Princess is such a charming and beautiful young girl. I bet you'll learn a lot of things from her, then you'll get along."
 
I sighed quietly and just nodded along to her statement.
 
-
 
I sat down beside the Queen, who is also my mother, as we waited patiently for the Crown Princess, who was also my wife-to-be. I played with my thumbs but was caught by Mother who quickly slapped my hands and hissed me to stop. I chuckled softly, then the door opened as the door opened and revealed an goddess-like figure. I'll assume she's the princess. I couldn't take my eyes off her. She was so beautiful, just what Queen Mother told me the other day. I stood up and bowed, pulled a chair for her as she muttered a thanks in her sweet, high-pitched voice. She was like an angel.
 
"Now, I want to propose a toast..." Father said, as he raised his glass. He talked about the engagement with us, including the Crown Princess and her parents. He talked and talked but I never listened. All I could do was gaze at her. Her rosy cheeks softly blushed as the breeze from the opened windows. Her chestnut hair were neatly resting on her shoulder, she was tasting the casserole the royal chef had prepared for the night. Her face scrunched, to my surprise, then quickly went back to its innocent, beautiful expression and softly pushed the plate away from her. She didn't like the food?
 
I quickly tasted the casserole and it was indeed awful. I quickly spit it out back to the bowl and wiped my lips. Luckily, she's the only one who saw me do this gross action- the others were busy listening to Father's speech. I looked to her innocently, she was covering as a series of giggle passed her pink lips.
 
She isn't bad, I thought to myself and chuckled along with her quietly.
 
"... I hope the engagement will turn out as a success. To Korea," Father ended as everyone drank their wine.
 
-
 
"BoBo. My beloved BoBo. How are you doing, my dear motorcycle?" I smiled to myself as I caressed the handle bars of my motorcycle. Queen Mother didn't let me use it for a while, or if a while meant forever then yes she did say that. Of course, sometimes I have to disobey my dearest grandmother. BoBo is one of the most important things in my life. I sat down beside it and started cleaning BoBo.
 
"Aigoo! This is so cool!"
 
I turned around and saw Haru, the Crown Princess, peering towards the motorcycle. "Ah, good piece of art," she then commented as she examined the design. I smiled and continued cleaning. "Neh, BoBo is flattered to hear that." "BoBo?" She blinked at me. I pointed my lips to the motorcycle. "BoBo. This is BoBo, my beloved motorcycle." Haru chuckled and touched one of BoBo's handlebars. "It's a pleasure meeting you, BoBo."
 
"Hey, you want to a ride on BoBo?" I asked as I sat down on BoBo, putting a helmet over my head. She hesitated at first and looked worried. I smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry, I know how to drive a motorcycle. Now trust me, will you?" I offered my hand to her. She smiled softly and hopped on behind my back. I placed the helmet on her small head and smiled. "It fits you."
 
Smiling back, she wrapped around her warm arms around my waist. I drove off.
 
-
 
A couple of months later...
 
I looked around first before I started pulling BoBo to the back of the palace, Haru following behind with the large teddy bear we won in the amusement park an hour ago. It was dark at night and we both hoped everyone was fast asleep. Well, the bodyguards aren't. I hope they don't catch us. We went inside the palace after putting BoBo back to its place. I walked her to her room. "Have a good sleep, okay?" I kissed her forehead.
 
Haru looked surprised, after I realized what I did. I quickly pulled back and thought of an excuse. "I-I... I just thought that since we're... you know, getting married, we s-should get used to it," I stuttered. She bit her lower lip, looking innocent and pure. "Get used to kissing?" she asked with her high-pitched voice.
 
My eyes widened. "N-No! I mean, i-if you want to, not that I'm forcing you..." I looked down, avoiding her gaze. "Look, I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking."
 
"It's okay," she smiled and pecked my cheek. "I mean, we should get used to it. We're engaged, after all." She opened the door to her room. "J-Just, make sure you don't forget our promise okay?" she reminded me. I nodded and smiled at her. "Good night!"
 
I made my way to my own room, took a short shower before resting my warm body to my bed. I turned to my side. "I shouldn't break a promise..." I held my head, rubbing my forehead.
 
[ flashback ]
 
Catching our breath after the ticklefest, she turned to me with her cute brown eyes. "Hey, Minho oppa..." She played with her fingers as she continued. "I thought that, since we're both forced to do this, we should make a promise to each other." I raised a brow. What kind of promise is she thinking of? "Hhm, I promise to not fall in love with you, if you promise to not fall in love with me. If we do, it will make everything complicated."
 
[ end of flashback ]
 
What if I do fall for you, Haru? Will you get mad at me? Will you hate me? Will you avoid me, forever?
 
-
 
"JINKI BUNNY!!" Haru squealed as she ran towards him, hugging him tightly. The man hugged back with a huge bright smile across his face. "I missed you."
 
Jinki pulled away softly and caressed her cheeks. "I miss you too, sweet cheeks. It's been forever since I last saw you!"
 
I leaned closer, but made sure I wasn't eavesdropping. Who is this Jinki person? And why is he hugging my Haru? Yes, you've read it right! I called Haru mine! Beginning last week, she started talking about this guy called Jinki and how she misses him so much, she's so excited to see him and talk to him and hang out with him. I couldn't deny my jealousy. She is just too irresistable and cute, I can't stop myself from breaking that promise.
 
"Do you have any plans tonight? I was wondering if we could have dinner tonight. You know, just the two of us. I missed you so badly." I saw him kiss her hand before I completely fell on the floor, out of balance. The two looked at me. I quickly stood up and shove the dust off my suit.
 
"Minho oppa!" Haru turned to me and pulled her hand off Jinki's lips. Yeah, you see that Jinki dude? Even Haru's hand doesn't like you. "Oppa, this is Prince Jinki. He's a special friend of mine. Bunny, this is Choi Minho, the Crown Prince." Bunny??
 
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Crown Prince," he bowed.
 
I blinked my eyes. "I was here to remind Haru about our dinner tonight." Bunny?!
 
"Uhm, oppa, can I cancel tonight? Jinki bunny and I are going out tonight," she said.
 
I nodded and walked away, leaving them alone in the room. I made my way to the kitchen and gulped a glass of water. Bunny?! She called her bunny! Haru loved bunnies! Always had, but she never, not even once, called me Minho bunny. Was she in a relationship with this other prince? That's why she told me not to fall for her, because she still loves him.
 
Aish... "What's wrong with you?" I looked up and saw Key hyung looking at me. "Is this about Prince Jinki?" he grinned. I shook my head vigorously. "Of course not! W-What... what made you, you t-think it was, it was about him? I mean please? Me? I'm the Crown Prince! All I know is that that Prince Jinki guy is flirting with my fiancee and calling each other pet names while I'm here talking to my royaldresser at this stinky place I call kitchen!"
 
"Oh my gosh, you love her!" he smiled. "This totally makes sense! You're in love with her! And you're jealous because the Crown Princess calls him Bunny," he chortled.
 
I denied. "I do not love her, okay? As a friend maybe, I like her. But loving her is beyond my thinking."
 
"Fine, if you say so. This is going to be spicy!" He chuckled and walked away.
 
-
 
Days passed and I kept on waking up with this Jinki person still present inside my palace, specifically hanging with my fiancee in her room. Shouldn't he be leaving by now? It's been a week and our wedding is in two weeks. Is he planning to stop our wedding and tell Haru he loves her? Darn it, I knew it! He's planning to steal her away from me!
 
"Oppa! Wanna join us?" They were knitting. Jinki was knitting, with Haru. That's it!
 
"Our visitor has his own room right? Shouldn't he be in it and not here?" I rolled my eyes.
 
Haru looked at me weirdly. "We're just knitting, oppa. What's wrong with you? It's like you hate Jinki bunny."
 
Bunny. The one who should be called bunny is me! I'm her fiance for crying out loud! "Why are you knitting anyway? You can ask some servants to do that for you!"
 
"But I want to knit a scarf on my own!"
 
"Then why is Jinki Bani helping you?!" "It's not Bani, it's Bunny! What's the matter with you oppa?! Out of the sudden you're throwing tantrums at me!"
 
"It's because you've been spending time with that Bani of yours," I reasoned, my voice softened. "And what's wrong with that?" Jinki butted in. I glared at him, but I had to control myself. "B-Because... I'm jealous."
 
"And why are you jealous?" he continued.
 
"Because I love her, okay?!" I hissed at him and quickly turned to Haru. "I love you, Haru. I know I promised you that I won't fall for you but I cannot control myself. You're so cute, so pretty, so smart, so funny. You're so perfect, and I don't regret being engaged to you!" My eyes glared uncontrollably at Jinki. "And that Bani of yours has to ruin everything."
 
Haru softly smiled. "It's bunny, and you mean my cousin?" She looked at Jinki. "Why should you be jealous of h--"
 
"He's your cousin?" I looked at him. He waved with a smile. "Why didn't you tell me?"
 
"I told you five weeks ago! But you were busy staring at me for some reason," she said, flipping my hair.
 
"Oh, maybe that time I was busy falling for you," I cheekily smiled. I pulled her closer to me, hugging her waist. "So, do you love me too?"
 
She nodded and pecked my lips. "Yah! I was going to do that!" She chuckled, "you're too slow."
 
Jinki coughed. "See? I told you, he ruins everything!" I whined.
 
"Oh, shut up! I'm busy knitting here and all you could do is lip-lock."