[SaiDa/SaTzu] Why Am I Here? (II)

Once a shot, Twice a story

BUZZ… BUZZ..

 

A groan sounded from the pillows squishing an inu-like human. She wanted to open her eyes but they were too heavy this morning. She forcefully rubbed both of them with her knuckles, throwing away some of the pillows burying her. With disheveled hair, she holds down a big yawn while glancing on the source of the vibrations disturbing her sleep. She didn’t realized how many times the call had tried to went through but she knows her head is pounding more with the sound.

 

“Damn it.”

 

She grabbed her head, wanting to slam it on the wall to stop the throbbing sensation coursing through her skull. It was never her intention to get so wasted last night, but the pain was being cut too deep that only alcohol is the bestfriend she had to get her numb.

 

Her hand unconsciously clenched her chest as her mind rewind the scene of last night.

 

Everything was a blur but only one thing stood out the most in her memory.

 

Or one person.

 

Tzuyu…

 

The hurt painted on the tall girl face was the most vivid image for the whole night and Sana hate herself for being the cause of it. Tzuyu didn’t deserve it, but she didn’t deserve the heartbreak either. She knows how much the Taiwanese girl struggled to keep herself together while juggling her studies and part time job. She remembered the day Tzuyu confessed to her. She was surprised to be an admiration of a foreigner, when she herself is a foreign student in Korea. They agreed to be friends at first but Sana can’t deny the attraction she felt of the beautiful sophomore with her hard-to-approach attitude.  They were opposites, and opposites do attract.

 

It wasn’t Tzuyu who first agreed to be committed to each other. In fact, the girl was reluctant due to her life commitments and had tried pushing away Sana for a few times, which was rendered futile when you are facing the Minatozaki Sana.

 

How fate decided to play with them was cruel, Sana thought.

 

Her phone vibrated again. She absentmindedly watched the device vibrates, almost on the verge of falling down from the bedside table before reaching out and answering the call.

 

“He-“

 

“I’m outside. Open the door.”

 

“Well, what a pleasant way of greeting people in the morning.”

 

“It’s already past 2 in the afternoon, Sana.”

 

“Oh, good afternoon to you too.”

 

Sana smirked from the groan she heard from her bestfriend. She’s never rude, but she can be one too when needed.

 

“Just...” She heard a long sigh, “Open the damn door, Sana.”

 

The sound of Momo was almost desperate, like begging her to. Not to mention, her bestfriend never acted this way unless she's just being her y self to annoy her.

 

“I’m not there now.”

 

“What? Where are you?”

 

Sana gulped silently, dreading the reaction she’ll received from her reply.

 

“I’m at Dahyun’s..”

 

The line went silent for a few seconds, Sana had to check the screen to see if Momo hung up on her already.

 

“Are you serious?” The tone was accusing and Sana didn’t like the sound of it.

 

She almost rolled her eyes, “I can explain-“

 

“It’s not me who needs your explanation.” Sana rubbed her forehead tiredly, listening to Momo’s lecture is not helping the throbbing in her head.

 

She heard the faint shuffling of shoes followed by slamming of door in the background, probably Momo about to drive off from her home.

 

“She’s not there?”

 

Sana raised an eyebrow from the other voice.

 

“You’re with Mina?”

 

“Yeah.” Momo answered flatly.

 

“What are you doing with her? I thought you guys loath each other, no offense.”

 

She whispered the last word amusedly, a grin etched on her face… only for it to falter with what Momo said after.

 

“Tzuyu is leaving Korea, Sana.. She’s going back.”

 

Her jaw went slackened, even her whole body suddenly went rigid. Just then, Dahyun barged into the room with a phone on her ear. Their expressions might had mirrored each other, albeit the younger having a paler one.

 

“Sana-”

 

“She’s leaving.” Her hand lose its strength, her phone falling before bouncing on the bed.

 

“Tzuyu’s leaving.”

 

 

 

 

 

#################################

 

 

 

 

 

“You what?”

 

“I broke up with Tzuyu.”

 

Just as she said the words, tears fell like waterfall down her cheeks. The pale girl quickly pulled her senior into her embrace, rubbing her back silently. It felt just like yesterday when Sana had first told her about her crush on the new Taiwanese freshman. She shared a few classes with the Chou Tzuyu, the so called goddess of everyone’s admiration. The latter has a cold demeanor at first glance, but timid and soft once you get to know her. Sana was the few lucky ones to be able to break down the girl’s cold front. She had been gushing about how unrealistic it is to have her feelings reciprocated back by Tzuyu, even to the point of sharing all their romantic escapades to her. Yes, she might have felt envy at one point, but seeing the happiness emanating from the already bright Minatozaki Sana was worth the heartbreak.

 

“Want to tell me what happened, unnie?”

 

The older sniffed, wiping her tears with the tissue Dahyun passed to her. She was sobbing so badly, Dahyun just had to reach for her free hand, gripping it tightly. She received a grateful smile, responding with one of her own.

 

“I guess it’s not working anymore.” Sana shrugged. “We’re total opposites, you know? Besides, she’s too busy with so many things. I’m just a distraction, a total burden for her.”

 

“No, don’t say that.” Dahyun shook her head with a frown, “I don’t think she ever thought of you as one, unnie.”

 

“How can you be so sure?”

 

She gaped at the question, not sure how to answer and convince Sana that she’s never a distraction to anyone. At least, not to her. The older chuckled dryly.

 

“It’s okay, Dahyunnie.” She took a deep breath, wiping the remnants of tears in her eyes.

 

“I’m here for you, unnie.”

 

“Thanks, Dubu.”

 

For once, that bright smile was directed to her. And for once, her heart had beat a rhythm she had buried deep down after it broke to pieces when her dear unnie had admitted of her deep feelings for Tzuyu.

 

She loved Sana. Once upon a time, that is.

 

Now? She’s not so sure anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

#################################

 

 

 

 

 

Sana was being her normal self as the days passed, but Dahyun knows she’s slowly breaking inside, mostly when Tzuyu can be seen in the vicinity. The longing stare of her unnie on the lone figure was hard to missed. She knows Sana still loves the cold girl, but both were stubborn to admit their love to one another.

 

Or maybe they were too in love with each other, they were oblivious of the reality that this is hurting the both of them as much as it is hurting the people close to them.

 

“I feel like strangling her.”

 

“Who?” Dahyun whipped her head to her bestfriend. If fangs can protrude from a human, Chaeyoung might resembled the hybrid of a smol human-cub about to reach puberty with her hissing.

 

“Tzuyu, who else?”

 

“Oh.” It left a bitter after taste in , “What’s with her?”

 

“She skipped lunch again!” Chaeyoung’s eyes widen from exasperation, “It’s been days already and she’s being her stubborn self again.”

 

“Well... she must've been hurting too much from the break up.”

 

The cub gave her a weird look, “What break up?”

 

Dahyun clamped shut, feigning ignorance from the slip up as she look anywhere except Chaeyoung’s confused eyes.

 

“I don’t know about any break up,” She can still feel Chaeyoung’s curious eyes on her, “She’s trying to save up again by skipping meals.”

 

“I thought she’s been working 24/7 on that part time job, right? It’s not enough?”

 

“She said something about owing Momo-unnie some money.” The smol girl grumbled, “But still! She didn’t have to refuse my offer to buy her lunch… she’s already skinny as a bone right now.”

 

Her eyes automatically fell on the figure sitting on one of the isolated bench, too engrossed in her study notes to realize Dahyun eyeing her from afar with her eagle-like vision. Her face had sunken, her cheek bones almost prominent while her figure had probably loss a bit of flesh despite the thick garments she wore.

 

She can feel an emotion slowly seeping through her conscience, the one she refused to accept at the sight of her friend’s pitiful state. People had called her an angel for a reason; her endless kindness.

 

But perhaps, she wasn’t that kind this time.

 

 

 

 

 

#################################

 

 

 

 

 

“Dubu!”

 

She hadn’t even called the older yet to get her attention, but her poor cheeks had been squished once Momo approached her.

 

“Ahhh! Did you know how much refreshing that was?”

 

“I don’t want to know, unnie.” She sulked, hiding her cheeks in her hand to prevent Momo from pinching them.

 

She saw a small gift box on Momo’s hand, the latter following her gaze.

 

“Wait, unnie.. I’m flattered but my birthday is not today.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Momo chuckled from her cute frown, a hand reaching out to pinch the cheek. “It’s not for you, sadly.”

 

“I was just joking.” Dahyun laughed, nudging Momo teasingly on her rib. “So, is that for Mina-unnie?”

 

Momo’s expression faltered at the mention of the vice president. She shook her head with a tight smile.

 

“I need a favour from you.”

 

“A favour?”

 

“Well, it’s not from me actually.” Momo scratched her cheek, “It’s from someone else, but I’m doing her a favour but it’s a secret so…”

 

“Spill it out, unnie.”

 

Momo let out a sigh, “Can you pass this to Sana?”

 

She grab the familiar baby blue box neatly wrapped with a ribbon bow.

 

“What’s this?”

 

“It was supposed to be a gift from Tzuyu,” She slipped both hands inside the back pocket of her jeans, shrugging innocently with her lips forming a straight line, “I was thinking it could help mend their relationship somehow.”

 

Suddenly, she can feel her soul separated into two. One telling her to give this to Sana, the other prompting her to throw this to the nearest garbage bin. But her moral was a lot stronger. She would keep it for the moment. Sana is still in her unstable state, she would probably throw this away, like what she wanted. But she knows desire was never meant to win over her moral. Only after her heart has made a decision, will she think of the fate of this gift.

 

“You think they should get back together, unnie?”

 

“I don’t know.” She rubbed her nape, “But I do hope they have a proper ending. Unlike me.”

 

 

 

 

 

#################################

 

 

 

 

 

It has been 3 days already and Sana was still lying on her bed, looking lifeless as her phone keeps on ringing continuously. Dahyun saw the names; it was Jihyo and Momo. She had just ended the call with Chaeyoung.  The smol is already rushing her way to the airport to stop, or rather, delay Tzuyu from getting into the flight while Momo and Mina will fetch Sana before the girl’s flight that afternoon. Jihyo is probably waiting with Tzuyu at the airport right now, the youngest is her favourite dongsaeng among all of them.

 

That’s when realization hit her.

 

They all have the same purpose; to get Sana and Tzuyu together before the latter fly back to Taiwan.

 

For good.

 

The group has been on a rocky state with Tzuyu and Sana’s situation, not to mention the endless lover’s feud of the other Japanese friends. They were breaking up slowly and Dahyun can feel the loneliness surrounding them. Surrounding her Sana-unnie.

 

Yes, Sana is better now with Dahyun’s help. She’s smiling and laughing, but something is missing. She’s lifeless, just like a diming sun hidden within dark clouds. Only Tzuyu can bring out the brightness of Minatozaki Sana, she had admitted.

 

It was painful, but seeing her Sana-unnie hurting was more heartbreaking.

 

She quickly rummaged through her study table for that box; the one supposedly would be the saviour of Sana’s love life, according to Momo. Maybe, just maybe, Momo-unnie is right this time. Maybe this is the catalyst to break Sana from the despair slowly overwhelming her everyday life of regret.

 

Sana blinked a few times when a soft blue box was shoved to her face. The ribbon bow was still attached, only a bit flattened, but still look pretty and new. She looked up, meeting Dahyun’s face.

 

“What’s this?” She took the box, her forehead scrunched in confusion.

 

“I’m really sorry for hiding this from you, unnie.” Dahyun closed her eyes tightly, taking a deep breath to gather her resolve. 

 

“What are you talking about, Dahyunnie?”

 

“The dates she cancelled, the part time jobs she’s been doing till late night…” She pointed to the gift, “It was for this.”

 

Sana was about to open but Dahyun quickly raised her hand, “Tzuyu didn’t forget that night!”

 

She gritted her jaw as Sana keep her gaze on her, giving the pale girl her full attention.

 

“She didn’t forget your date the night you broke up. She had actually asked me to inform you to wait for her in your room that night…”

 

She gulped, “But I didn’t.”

 

 

 

 

She wasn’t sure what was so great about the restaurant that Chaeyoung had insisted they would eat here tonight no matter what the circumstances. Now, she regretted for blindly following her friend without prodding more. The place was packed to the brim, a line was forming outside the door as people wait for their turn. She frowned, her stomach already growling from missing lunch.

 

“Are you sure we’re gonna have a seat before midnight, Chaeng?”

 

“Eyy..” She nudged the frowning dubu, “You’re talking to Son Chaeyoung here. Nothing is impossible when you're with me.”

 

Dahyun clucked her tongue in annoyance as Chaeyoung pulled her to the door, passing over the line of people with ease.

 

“Yo, oppa!”

 

“Ah! You’re finally here, my strawberry princess!”

 

Dahyun gave her a look at the nickname, the latter grinning widely showing her dimples. They discussed something before the man, who Dahyun assumed was the owner, escorted them to an empty table.

 

“It’s a bit cramped in here but I hope you don’t mind.”

 

“Are you kidding, oppa? Your food is to die for, I wouldn’t even mind eating on the road side.”

 

“Tch, spare the flattery. You’re only here because of the student discounts.” The owner rolled his eyes with a smirk.

 

“That too!”

 

They were happily enjoying dinner after the food came. Surprisingly, the meal was really good as her bestfriend claimed and the service was fast albeit the many customers filling the restaurant. The corner of her eyes caught a familiar tall figure approaching them with their drinks.

 

“I see you’ve managed to bring Dahyun here.”

 

“Ah, Tzuyu!” Chaeyeoung responded happily as the taller clad in apron placed the glassess on the table, “I’ve told you before I’ll bring everyone here at least once before they leave town.”

 

Tzuyu laughed while nodding, turning her attention to the smiling Dahyun.

 

“She didn’t bribe you or anything, right?”

 

“Eh..” Dahyun shrugged, “She’s treating me, actually.”

 

“What?!” She shrieked, “I only brought enough money for my food!”

 

They bursted out laughing from the cub’s comical reaction, sharing a high-five from the teasing.

 

“It’s a full night today, huh?” Dahyun said as she looked around the place.

 

Tzuyu sighed, “Yeah.. It’s Friday night so it is to be expected.”

 

“That’s .”

 

“It’s worse when you’ve gotta back up someone’s shift after working for the whole evening.”

 

“Wait.. is that why you’re still working?” Chaeng asked before shoving a rice cake into , receiving a nod from the tall girl.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to meet Sana-unnie tonight?”

 

Dahyun’s ears perked up at the mention of her dear unnie’s name. That night was supposed to be their hanging out time together, a tradition of the two since they’ve known each other but Sana had to cancelled it today because something urgent came up.

 

Now that she knew the urgent thing involved this person in front of her, Dahyun didn’t know what to make of it. She was a bit disappointed for being stood up by Sana without knowing the real reson behind it.

 

 “Shoot!” Tzuyu’s eyes widen as she looked at her watch.

 

She quickly took out her phone, only to frown deeply from the black screen. She sighed with closed eyes, Chaeyoung observing her friend curiously.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“My phone died.”

 

Dahyun keep on stuffing food into , not really in the mood to mind the business of these two when suddenly both of them whipped their heads to her.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You can deliver Tzuyu’s message to Sana-unnie, right? You guys are close, anyway.”

 

Dahyun blinked a few times, facing Tzuyu who grabbed her arm for her attention.

 

“Can you please tell Sana-unnie I’m sorry? Tell her I’ll come to her room later tonight after my shift is over.” Tzuyu said, or more like pleaded with desperation on her face.

 

“Yeah, sure.” She absentmindedly nod, her free hand already reaching the phone on the table.

 

“Tzuyu!” She turned around to face another waiter, “They need you at the back, now!”

 

“Got it!” She faced Dahyun again. Albeit the tiredness and frustration, there’s a bit of relief in her eyes as she gave the pale girl a smile.

 

“Thanks, Dahyun. You really are a lifesaver.”

 

Dahyun nods again with a forced smile as her eyes followed Tzuyu’s figure disappearing behind the kitchen door. She put down her phone, resuming to eat her dinner while focusing her attention on the talking cub whining about her art assignment. She didn’t know what possessed her that night, but Sana never received the message from Tzuyu.

 

 

 

 

 

“Dahyun..”

 

“She loved you, unnie.” Dahyun desperately grabbed Sana’s shoulder, “She still loves you. I don’t think she will ever fall in love with someone else as much as she is in love with you, unnie!”

 

Dahyun can see the contemplation in her eyes. “But.. I don’t think-”

 

“Don’t even think of anything, unnie!” She gave a slight shake to her unnie with a glare.

 

“I beg you, Minatozaki Sana. Only think of your happiness for once and stop thinking about others for a while.”

 

Stop thinking about me. I know you noticed my feelings for you, unnie but please.. stop that.

 

Sana averts her gaze, “I don’t know what my happiness is.”

 

“You do. It’s been beating inside you all this while.” Dahyun smiled, genuinely this time while pointing towards Sana’s heart.

 

“It’s in the form of Chou Tzuyu.”

 

 

 

HONK! HONK!

 

 

 

Dahyun snapped her head to the sound, rushing to the bedroom window to see Momo standing outside a car with a phone attached to her ear. She quickly approached the still shocked Sana, pulling the latter on her feet as she drags her out of the room.

 

“W-Where are we going?”

 

“To Tzuyu.”

 

“What? No, wait Dahyunnie!” Sana struggled to pull herself from Dahyun’s strong grip.

 

“We’ve gotta hurry, unnie! It’s now or never!”

 

“But..."

 

"But what, unnie?!"

 

"What about you?”

 

Dahyun froze. Her mind tried to process the question directed to her. It was full of hidden messages, of hope and expectation. Of guilt and betrayal. But this time, she knows it’s only right for two things; trust and sacrifice.

 

She needs to gain back Tzuyu’s trust and for that, she must sacrifice her own feelings for Sana-unnie. She did it once, and she will do it again. For the sake of her own and everyone.

 

For Sana-unnie.

 

“I’ve told you before, unnie.” She didn’t dare to face Sana, keeping her gaze on the floor. “Stop thinking and follow your heart.”

 

Sana almost wince from Dahyun’s tight grip on her hand but she couldn’t do anything as she was again being pulled forcedfully towards the front door.

 

“Dahyun, where is-“

 

“Here.” She pushed Sana towards the dumbfounded Momo, “Please take this baggage and bring her to the rightful place she's supposed to be right now.”

 

“Dahyun…”

 

Her eyes are glassy, Sana noticed. But she only received a shake of her head as the younger gave her a smile. A heart-breaking one.

 

“Momo-unnie.”

 

The said girl nodded firmly, pulling Sana towards the car as she mouthed thank you to the house owner. She caught Sana’s eyes on her, quickly closing the door before resting her forehead on it.

 

She silently wiped the tears continuously flowing down her cheeks, laughing dryly at her own stupid actions. She’s breaking again, but it wasn’t as painful as before.

 

She finally knows what her heart wants.

 

Let go, and never look back.

 

Ever.

 

 

 

 

 

#################################

 

 

 

 

 

“You sure she’s gonna like it?”

 

“You said so it was her favourite colour.”

 

"But you know Sana-unnie... she likes whatever gift people give her."

 

"Stop thinking and just buy it, Tzuyu!"

 

Tzuyu inspects the necklace one more time, satisfied with her choice before nodding to the salesgirl behind the counter. She took out her wallet, puling out a few bills to pay for the gift being expertly wrapped with a ribbon bow as the finishing touch. She smiled, handing out the stash of money as an exchange for the bag.

 

“You sure have a lot of courage to borrow that much money from Momo-unnie.”

 

Tzuyu’s face changed to a panicky one as she turned to the tofu-like person, “Please don’t tell Sana-unnie about this!”

 

Dahyun laughed at the pleading gesture she made. She waved her hand gladly, dismissing Tzuyu from her teasing and from further scaring the younger girl.

 

"Only Sana-unnie?"

 

"Now that you mention it.. Don't tell Chaeng either! She'll be heartbroken I didn't ask for her help."

 

"What about Jihyo-unnie?"

 

Tzuyu made a pondering face before sighing loudly.

 

"Aaah.. screw it! Don't tell anyone and keep this between the two of us only. Arraso?"

 

"Your secret is safe with me." Dahyun made a zipping motion on her lips before sharing a handshake between the two.

 

“Sana-unnie would most probably wear it with a low neck shirt for a whole month to flaunt it around for everyone to see.”

 

Tzuyu merely laughed, “I can already imagine that.”

 

“Won’t you get jealous of having every eyes on her?”

 

“I don’t mind.” Tzuyu took a glance inside the bag, hugging it like the most precious thing in the world.

 

“At least the whole campus will know she’s mine.”

 

The proud, wide grin on Tzuyu’s face was probably more expensive than the necklace.

 

It was priceless.

 

Dahyun had no intention of making it disappear. She felt the need to treasure it, to protect it with her whole life. Just like how that smile was able to protect her Sana-unnie from the sorrow of the wretched world.

 

If only she had made that promise while crossing her heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: Dahyunnieeeee mianheeeeee saranghaeeeeee!!! *runs away and hide forever