[SaTzu] Why Am I Here?

Once a shot, Twice a story

She sighed again for the nth time that day. She made many attempts to make sure she would forget the event tonight. In fact, she almost did that but darn that skinny jeans sitting on top of the drawer. Darn that thing for being her most favourite jeans, darn that thing for still keeping the invitation card inside the back pocket and darn that thing for making her stare at the card like it’s going to burn holes in it.

 

She sighed. Again.

 

Throwing the blue glittery card away, she got up from bed and prepares for her night shift. The restaurant manager had gladly excused her for the night; he has a fondness for diligent workers and she’s always his staff of the month, if he ever made one. But Friday night is always a full house and having a full crowd in the famous traditional ramyun shop was never a good thing.

 

Perhaps, she can take her mind off of her.

 

Putting on her jacket and a cap, she shut the door of her shared room. The college was really convenient for having a dorm building surrounded by shops of all kinds. Especially for a foreigner student like her who depends solely on scholarship for the college fees.

 

Puffs of air materialized from , the night was cold but not enough to have students loitering about the area. She put her hands inside the pockets of her jacket to keep them warm, taking fast steps down the corridor and onto the streets below.

 

“Yah! What are you doing here?”

 

She only greeted back with a deep bow and a wide grin. It took her only a few minutes to arrived to her workplace. The manager was surprised, but pleasantly welcomed her. The place was already fully packed and he really needed her. After changing to her working uniform of white shirt under an apron and a Yoda-decorated bandana, she quickly takes charge of the many fussy customers and noisy students who frequent there.

 

It seems like forever with the non-stop incoming customers, but two hours had passed and the manager asked, more like forced, her to take a short break. Taking a swig of water, she wiped the sweat forming on her forehead. Her hand automatically falls in front of her, showing the time on her wrist watch.

 

“Darn it.”

 

She closed her eyes with her hands. It was supposed to be a normal night shift but the image of the blue card was still floating in her head, she had almost lost concentration and messed up some orders. She took another gulp, only to felt a pat on her shoulder.

 

“Found you.”

 

“M-Mo.. Momo-unnie?!”

 

“Yah! What’s with that face? I’m not a ghost!” She took a seat beside her, “And what are you even doing here in the first place? Trying to catch some slacks, eh?”

 

“Why are you here, unnie?”

 

“Trying to find a hiding Yoda.”

 

“I’m.. I’m not hiding!”

 

“Really? Let’s go then!”

 

“Huh? Where- YAH, UNNIE!”




 

-------------------------





 

Momo was given the silent treatment for the whole car ride, but mostly because she just kidnapped her out of nowhere.

 

“I’m in the middle of working, unnie.”

 

“It was Shindong-oppa’s idea, though.” She glanced at the sulking beauty, “You can nag him tomorrow at work.”

 

She groaned, frustrated to know the manager was also involved with this. She keeps her stare outside, not in the mood to talk. Momo was starting to feel guilty but this is for her own good. For her bestfriend’s sake, too. They need a proper closure and tonight is the only chance for both of them. Momo doesn’t want her favourite maknae to repeat her mistakes. No, she can’t let them suffer like how she is right now.

 

“We’re here.”

 

Momo switched off the ignition before leaning back on her seat. She decided to give the younger girl some time to herself. The latter took a short glance outside. For the first time had she seen their college’s dilapidated swimming pool being turned into a total mess of flashing light bulbs with colorful balloons and randoms post-it notes stuck everywhere on the entrance wall.

 

“They really kick it up a notch this year.” Momo commented.

 

She inhaled a shaky breath, “I’m not sure about this, unnie.”

 

“Well, me neither.” She stepped out of the door, “But trust me. Both of you need this.”

 

She was still unsure but the car owner had already walked up front, leaving her scrambling to her feet trying to catch up with her sunbae.

 

“Oh, just for the record.” The blonde cling a hand around her, “Let’s stay clear from your Mina-unnie.”

 

They reached the entrance and was immediately greeted with the committee in charge. A shocked committee who, unfortunately, they were trying to avoid.

 

“Tzuyu? What are you doing here? I thought you're not coming..?”

 

Before she can open , Momo had stepped up front and cleared .

 

“Greetings there, Vice President.”

 

“Ah, the only name not to be ticked yet in this list.” She crossed her arms, “You’re late.”

 

“It’s not like I wanted to be here in the first place.”

 

Momo shrugged nonchalantly. The vice president of the student council was not a person to be messed with, but Momo just had to test her patience just for the fun of it. It’s her favourite past time, after all.

 

“But this party is specially organized to celebrate soon-to-be graduates such as you.”

 

“You do know I flopped my finals.. right?”

 

Momo can be scary when she needed to be but putting blame on someone was never her intention in the first place. She stopped teasing when she sees the fallen face of the vice president.

 

She let out a sigh, “She needs this, Mina.”

 

She gave Momo a quizzical look before it dawn on her.

 

“Don’t tell me..” She gasped, her eyes falling on the silent Tzuyu. “No, you can’t!”

 

She was keeping shut all this while, only following what her unnies were telling her. Every time she’s feeling down, she has her unnies to confide in. She has her unnies to protect her, to tell her what is wrong and what is right. But she had enough of being an obedient dongsaeng. For once, she wanted to do what she feels is right for her.

 

“Why not?” She voiced out.

 

“Eh?”

 

Both of them were surprised. Mina was contemplating but she can’t waste anymore time. She pushed through, ignoring her unnie’s shouting.

 

The place was dark, but her eyes soon adjusted to the dim light. It was packed with humans, making it more difficult for her to find that certain squirrel-like human. She pushed through the crowds, colliding bodies with oppas and unnies she didn’t know while her eyes searching for that certain someone.

 

It has been a few minutes but her searching was futile. She needs a breather among this ocean of seniors. She spotted a door leading to the outside pool. Just as she was about to reach the door, a body bumped into her.

 

“Ah! Wha-”

 

“I’m reall-”

 

As quick as a jogger trying to outrun a bear, as quick it is for her heart to start beating uncontrollably when she sees her.

 

“Tzuyu…”

 

Everything was numb to the point that she can’t really feels her legs anymore. She might slump to the floor, like jelly, just with the mere presence of her.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

It was ridiculous how everyone she met had been questioning her the same thing today. To be asked by this person, too… It felt like her presence was not expected, is not welcomed at all.

 

She wanted to run away but her legs failed her. She wanted the tears to stop forming but her eyes failed her. She wanted to push away the perfect human standing before her but her hand failed her. She wanted her heart to stop beating for this wonderful senior but it failed her, badly.

 

“Sana-unnie! There you are!”

 

Instead of her body that falls, it was her heart.

 

“Oh, Dahyun-ah.”

 

How affectionate that sounded, she thought.

 

“Your drinks, unnie!”

 

“Thank you, Dahyun-ah.”

 

She can’t take it anymore. The scene was revolting, it shattered her heart more than it already was.

 

She ignored her calling her name out as she stormed out of the place. She doesn’t even care where she goes, as long as she’s far from her. She wiped her blurry eyes, the sleeve of her jacket getting wet from her tears.

 

She was right. It was a mistake after all to come here. When she thought she can put an end to her misery, all it did was making it worse. She doesn’t know what wrong she did in her past life for God to punish her like this..

 

She wanted to scream, shout, kick, punch… everything. It was so much, too much for her heart.

 

Out of nowhere, a hand grabbed her. She raised her head, only to be met with a gentle pairs of eyes belonging to a human God.

 

“Tzuyu-yah..?”

 

Her voice is so soothing, she immediately buried her head into the comfort of her unnie’s chest. She let it out, everything. She doesn’t care if her tears might soaked the shirt. Her unnie never mind, anyway. She just wanted to let it out. She never cried in front of people, but time is an exception..

 

Just for tonight.

 

“It really hurts, Jihyo-unnie..”





 

-------------------------------





 

She slammed the door shut, collapsing her body onto the comfort of her body. It was almost midnight and she had just finished her extra shift for today. She had been working non-stop since afternoon when one of the workers took an emergency leave. It was a hectic day but she’s glad she can help out Shindong-oppa. More savings for her, the faster she can pay her debt to Momo-unnie later.

 

She peeked on her roommate's vacant bed, a hand snaking out a box under her pillow. She opened it carefully, displaying a beautifully carved silver necklace with a small piece of blue stone on it.

 

She imagined how perfect it will be when Sana-unnie wears it. How ecstatic she will be, when she saw that as her birthday present.

 

A huge grin etched on her face. She looked like a fool, because she is a fool who’s deeply in love with her beautiful unnie.

 

The enactment of a perfect and beautiful human being she had ever laid eyes on.

 

She stopped herself when realizing her foolish smile had upgraded into an almost crazy state. She tucked the box back to its hiding place, not before whispering some encouraging words to it. She stretched her body, all the muscles were sore and numb. She decided to take a small nap before hitting the shower when a knock on the door disturbed her peace.

 

With lazy steps, she dragged her feet to the door.

 

“Who is it?”

 

She asked as she opened it, only to feel a sudden sharp pain on her cheek. She turned to the perpetrator, a fuming Sana standing on her doorstep like an angry goddess.

 

“U-Unnie..?”

 

“Liar.”

 

“What?”

 

“You forgot our date. Again.”

 

Her eyes widen. They were supposed to meet for dinner that evening but she had totally forgotten about it.

 

“I’m reall-”

 

“Save it. I don’t want to hear anymore of your excuses, Tzuyu.”

 

“But, unnie..”

 

“You wanna know something, Tzuyu? It feels like I was being taken for granted.”

 

She gulped, not liking where this conversation is going.

 

“I know you’re busy with your part time job but lately, it was getting too much. You never had time for me and you were never there when I needed you. Sometimes, it feels like you never cared.”

 

“No, that’s not true! I do care, unnie!”

 

“Really, Tzuyu?” She scoffed, “Cause you never show it. It was always me, and I’m tired of it.. of everything.”

 

She’s dreading the minute to come, how she wish time would miraculously stop. Because she knew. Even if she still ask, she already knew the answer.

 

“W-What do you mean?”

 

“Let's stop this.”





 

-----------------------------------------






 

The sobbings had already subsided, only occasional sniffles can be heard. Jihyo took a glimpse of her maknae before picking up a stone and throwing it into the pool. It’s not allowed, but rules are made to be broken anyway. She stood up and started walking, her unnie following closely beside her.

 

“Jihyo-unnie?”

 

She turned to her favourite dongsaeng, “Yeah?”

 

“Do you remember that day?” She sniffed, “When we were hanging by the pond that winter?”

 

“Oh, yeah! The one where you forgot your jacket and made me share mine with you cause you’re shivering every seconds, right?”

 

They laughed from the ridiculousness of the scene taking place that day.

 

“You still remember.. what my wish was?”

 

“I do.”

 

“I’ve done some thinking about it these days. A lot of thinking. I don’t know if it will make everyone happy but...”

 

Jihyo hummed in understanding, seeing her distressed maknae just made her heart ache. The kid is too young to be in this situation.

 

“Tzuyu-yah, it doesn’t matter actually.” The older clings her arm on her, “You don’t have the power to make everyone happy. It’s not your responsibility at all. Unless you’re Supergirl.”

 

Jihyo nudged her with wiggled eyebrows, the teasing managed to make her dongsaeng laugh.

 

“What’s important is here.” She pointed to her maknae's heart, “Your happiness. If you’re happy, then everyone would be happy for you.”

 

She nodded, sometimes wiping her wet nose and still teary eyes.

 

“I would love for everyone to be here until graduation day but whatever your decision is, whatever makes you happy, I’ll be a hundred and one percent supporting you, Tzuyu.”

 

“Thank you, unnie..”

 

They shared a smile before catching a quarreling sound of two familiar voices. They shared looks, quickly rushing over to those two.

 

“She’s just my roommate!”

 

“Yeah, just a roommate who happens to have a strong crush on you!”

 

“Does it matter?”

 

“Yeah, you’re right. It doesn’t.”

 

“I hate this.” She huffed, “I hate what we’re going through every day because we never had a proper closure.”

 

Jihyo paused her steps, motioning the maknae to stay silent and let them continue the bickering.

 

Mina scoffed, “W-What are you saying?”

 

“This is why I brought Tzuyu here. Because I know how bad it felt to have your relationship hanging without hearing from both sides.”

 

“Unnie…”

 

They stopped when she stepped in between them.

 

“Tzuyu, are you okay?” Mina quickly rushed to her side.

 

“It’s fine. I’m alright now. You guys don’t have to fight because of me anymore.”

 

“What? No…” Momo grabbed her hands, “You were never at fault, our Chewy.”

 

“I really appreciated your concern, unnies. I’ve been troubling everyone, worrying everyone all this while I’ve been in this college. I know I’m not the best dongsaeng to everyone, it’s hard taking care of a stubborn and snobbish maknae like me. But it was really great having you guys as my unnies and I’m really, really thankful for that.”

 

She looked at her Jihyo-unnie, gaining a nod from her. Taking a deep breath, she faced both Mina and Momo with a sad smile.

 

“I’ve decided, unnies..” A tear dropped down her cheek, “I’m going back. For good.”






 


A/N: I miss SaTzu, it's mostly SaiDa nowadays.. I'm like TT

Should I do a part two? Or just leave the ending to your imagination...? Should I should I?