Memories

Choosing Happiness {A SHINee Writing Contest Entry}
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

After a delightful Christmas with her and her family, Minho woke up feeling very contented and elated. Mornings, he believed, should always be like this – waking up next to his wife. Ever since she became his wife or even the moment he claimed her as his girlfriend, his priorities changed. She was now included in his dreams, as well as their future little Minhos and little Haneuls. Marriage can definitely change a man.

 

He gently pulled her close, careful not to wake her up. The feeling of her soft and silky smooth skin against his hard chest was more than enough to keep him in bed. He treasured such sweet and fleeting moments for it would be a long time before he could have her in his arms again. Spending time with her was a luxury he seldom enjoys.

 

Desperately prolonging their shared time together, Minho remained still and quiet on his side of the bed, listening to her soft breathing, feeling the rise and fall of her chest and inhaling her fragrance. But fate was against him.

 

The change in her breathing alerted him that she was already awake. Her body tensed and he felt the quickening of her heartbeat.

 

“Shhh,” he cooed, “Sleep more my sweet.” His left hand caressed her arm and he whispered butterfly kisses along her bare shoulders.

 

Her giggles filled the room, followed by his deep groan when she turned to face him. She was wide awake, much to his disappointment, and his time with her was running out.

 

“Good morning,” she said, placing her palm on his cheeks which he held and moved towards his lips.

 

“No, it is still dark. Sleep,” he urged, kissing her forehead.

 

“What do you want for breakfast?” she asked, looking up in his eyes.

 

“I want you to be a good girl for me and sleep,” he commanded.

 

She was about to quip back a reply when she realized why he was so adamant in making her sleep. Haneul closed her eyes in submission, resting her hands in his chest.

 

Satisfied, Minho silently stared at her sleeping face, engraving every inch of her in his memory. He lightly ran a finger across her pink cheek, smiling fondly as he remembered how they were once plump and smeared with dirt. The Lees were their neighbours once and she would always be seen outdoors, trailing behind her older brothers and getting them to let her join in their fun and games.

 

Haneul is younger than him by two years and he took it upon himself to look after her. It was only now that he is her husband did he realize why and he smiled at their memories. For years, he treated her as the sister he never had but it changed before her freshman year in high school. His affection and concern towards her was no longer that of an older brother to a little sister. Unfortunately, Minho never got a chance to ascertain his feelings as he became busy being a trainee in SM, drawing them farther apart; even more, when she left the country.

 

He thought he had completely forgotten about her as he immersed himself in his music career; but fate definitely had other plans for him when he stumbled upon a little pastry shop on his way to his parents. He never liked going home empty-handed so he decided to buy them a cake. And as he opened the glass doors, he felt like everything went in slow motion as he laid eyes on the girl behind the counter, the sound of the bells and the chatter of other customers drowning into silence. He never thought he would see her again. But just one look at her, feelings buried deep within his heart resurfaced.

 

Minho was more than thrilled when she recognized him underneath his disguise and his heart flipped when she congratulated him for Shinee’s success. There was a lot of catching up to do and he was so willing to make time for her. He was given a second chance with her, so he wasn’t going to waste what fate had generously handed out to him.

 

For the next few months, they went out secretly as friends. She was still the outgoing and curious girl he knew, minus her baby fat. She kept her hair just below her shoulders and her face bare with just lip gloss on her lips. Their conversations would just be about anything and he won’t get bored; especially when she brings him some of her sweet delights. He learned that she earned her AS in Baking and Pastry Arts in Washington and that her parents helped her build her shop upon returning to the country.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter