Promise

Choosing Happiness {A SHINee Writing Contest Entry}
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

The busy dial tone rang, but he stood motionless not bothering to lift the phone from his ear, completely ignoring the incessant beeping as he stared blankly into space. He had disappointed her yet again and at that moment, he was his least favourite person. Despite the restraint she put in the emotions brewing inside her, he heard the sadness in her voice loud and clear. He promised himself that he would make her happy but sadly, he was constantly breaking it.

 

The faint sound of carols streaming through the hallway just behind the door reminded him of his current predicament. It was Christmas Eve and instead of spending it with her, Choi Minho found himself helplessly stuck in the company’s Christmas dinner party just right after their concert. A celebration, which he thinks, is purely about business and making a good impression on shareholders and clients rather than the true purpose of why such a day exists.

 

December 25 is nothing but a commercial holiday for the corporate world but not for him and his wife. Not only would it be one of the very few times they could spend together with family, it would be their first Christmas together. At the age of 27, Choi Minho is not only the rapper of the popular and chart topper South Korean pop group SHINee but is now and forevermore, the loving and caring husband of Choi Haneul. In his heart, he knew he had everything the moment she became his and deep within it, he kept the joy and fulfilment a husband could have from such a loving wife. For except family and close friends, no one knew about the marriage he was dying to tell the whole world about.

 

A squeeze on his shoulder took him out of his reverie and he found a worried Key looking back at him after he cleared out of his momentary daze. His hyung was rather sensitive about others and right now, he was the recipient of his concern. It was only then that he realized that he took too long for a bathroom break. But since they are now standing on the stairwell leading to the exit, he need not confirm that his hyung saw it coming.

 

Wordlessly, the two went back to the crowded ballroom, greeting everyone they passed with their captivating smiles which was eagerly reciprocated by the females present, mostly daughters of the elite class. Their reactions were expected, if not normal, for the two grew up to be fine men, very fine men. Not that they were any less handsome during their younger years. The only difference now was that they looked and acted more mature, b with confidence and appeal in every stride.

 

Key was still the diva, even as he strutted in a silver grey tux – black silk outlined the outer jacket which has three front pockets and two buttons opened revealing a black vest on top of a silver tie and black pinstriped shirt – and Calvin Klein shoes. He kept his hair funky, styling and dyeing it occasionally. And tonight, it was copper and was swept to one side.

 

Minho, on the other hand, kept it simple in a black suit, which remained ed just like the first two of the white shirt underneath, and a pair of Armani shoes. The way the material hugged his upper torso left nothing to imagination. Compared to his hyung, he had broader shoulders and a more defined chest that tapered to a tight waist. Minho has an athletic build, not overly muscular, and he maintained it that way by constant visits to the gym, much to the delight of his fans. With his black tousled hair, strong jaw line and intense gaze, he fuelled the flames of attraction that he formed in every girl and women that laid eyes on him.

 

Unfortunately, the one person whose attention he was desperately seeking was not in sight. She left right after the concert and was miles away from him in her parents' house where he was supposed to be. For the time being, he just let himself be led by his hyung back to their band mates. He just hoped that time would pass a little faster so that he could be where he rightfully belongs.

 

They had just returned to their little circle when he felt a heated stare coming from his left. And the moment he shifted his eyes, he soon regretted doing so. Park Hyemi was sauntering towards him like a cat who found its prey. But Minho is no prey, for the Flaming Charisma was elusive as a panther but tenacious like a bulldog. He had been avoiding her for the longest time now but the heiress was relentless in her pursuit even though he had made it clear that he was and is not interested. The girl must have a loose crew for failing to understand or she must be another of those spoiled brats who wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer.

 

It’s not that she is unattractive; Minho isn’t that shallow. At 22, Hyemi has the body of a mature woman but the face of an innocent girl. She has the right curves in the right places that are even more defined in her red halter silk gown. Her hair framed her small face in waves, streaked with red highlights complimenting her dress, her high heels and even her full lips. She also has the porcelain skin which his country mates consider as a requirement of beauty. There would be no doubt that she would have a lot of suitors on her feet. However, she just isn’t the one who makes him happy.

 

Audible sighs followed by the clearing of throats told him that she had caught the attention of his companions. He was about to avoid the red minx when he caught the gazes of her father and their CEO, Mr. Lee Soo Man. This is why he hated such gatherings. He just had to be one of the willing hosts, much to his chagrin.

 

“Oppa,” she said in a sultry voice which would make any other male tingle with desire. But it had seriously no effect whatsoever on Minho, who merely greeted her with a brief nod and a slight smile.

 

Annoyance flashed briefly in her brown eyes but she soon blinked it away with her long lashes, as she gazed up at him. He saw the glint of mischief in her slanted eyes and before he could even react, she had already hooked her arm with his and dragged him away from the rest of the guys.

 

Groaning inwardly, Minho just realized that the night just got more complicated than he hoped.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

His body was still tired after everything that happened– concert, dinner and Hyemi. The girl literally draped her whole body on him, rubbing her mounds and hips on him every chance she got. It was such a relief that he managed to detach himself from the persistent minx.

 

The moment he reached his apartment, he dumped his clothes on the hamper, reminding himself to send it to the washers. He had to rid himself of her scent. It was too strong for his liking and he didn’t like the idea of having her perfume on him. Getting inside the bathroom, he turned the shower on and cleaned himself using his wife’s favourite Dove scented soap and Johnson’s Baby Shampoo.

 

After taking his much needed bath and being satisfied of having recreated the scent of his wife on him, Minho slipped on his pyjamas and lay on his bed. He badly wanted to go directly to Haneul but his caring wife simply ignored his pleas and instructed him to have some rest before taking the road. With a silly grin on his face, he completed his ritual by hugging his special pillow. It is clothed in her shirt so that he could smell her natural fragrance. Minho had a constant supply of his wife’s night shirts, courtesy of their household help who delivers them to him without her knowledge. It was the only way he could survive lonely and cold nights without her by his side. He slept peacefully that morning with the promise that he would be hugging the real her in just a few hours.

 

The first rays of sunshine greeted him on the road to her parents’ house. Even with just three hours of sleep, he was refreshed; like any other day after discovering his secret weapon from a friend’s little boy who can’t sleep without having one of his mom’s clothes next to him. Because of his career, the couple doesn’t have the luxury of intimacy like others have. They live in separate houses and he could only visit every once in a while, despite it being only an hour away from his bachelor’s pad.

 

Three hours passed and his excitement grew as he entered the subdivision. Nothing much had changed since he last visited except maybe for some renovations in some of the houses. He turned to the third street on the left and saw the beige two-storey contemporary-style house situated between two pine trees a block away. His smile grew wider seeing his destination.

 

He drove past it and stopped in front of the neighbouring black gate, which opened upon a push of a button. Minho hurriedly parked inside the garage and hopped out of the vehicle, armed with numerous paper bags. Taking one last check, he hurried towards

Please log in to read the full chapter