I'll bloom facing a new light

The Finale with No Goodbye

After a few minutes Areum was finally able to calm down her breathing.
“Don’t tell anyone about this,” She whispered softly. She couldn’t have anyone knowing that she had another attack. It had already been a couple years since her condition has stabilized. So, why? Why did her asthma attacks have to return? Was it a coincidence that they accompanied Zen? Maybe it was her body’s natural defense telling her to stay away from him. Telling her that he's a virus.
Zen slowly helped Areum up from the floor and held her limp body close to him. With Areum in his arms, Zen watched sun rise outside the windows at her apartment complex. The world before him was being illuminated with so many different hues, it was breathtaking. Perhaps it was because the sun was shining on them, or maybe it was because the two were in one another’s embrace— that morning was the first time in a while when the two have felt such a warmth. It was such a familiar comfort, it was almost unbearable to separate.
He loosened his embrace and looked down at the woman before him. He hoped that she could see that his promise still stood at the same place it had always been. He would continue to protect her for as long as she was in front of him. “Don’t worry, I’m here.”
He pulled her head into him again and held her there. It was warm.
“Hyun, I—“
The two were interrupted when they heard the front door open. Areum’s manager walked in and his mouth hung agape at the sight before him. The man couldn’t muster up the words to say. How was he supposed to react to the two who were in each others arms? The two quickly separated themselves, coughing on the side , and looking in separate directions to ease the awkwardness. Her manager cleared his throat before he spoke.
“I got your text, however, I wasn’t expecting to walk into this type of scene… Anyways, it’s none of my business… so, since you two are already up, please get ready to leave. We have to be on set in 45 minutes so you two have time to get ready. We can pick up your manager on the way, Zen. I’ll be waiting in the car in the basement parking lot.” The manager quickly announced and exited. All three were red in the face from embarrassment. They all quickly scrambled around in their separate ways and got ready to leave.

The ride to set was silent. No one knew what to say. As soon as MC got on the van, the atmosphere was tense. Should Areum apologize? Or should Zen be the one to apologize? Either way, no one had done anything wrong right? The two didn’t get back together. Nothing physical happened. Zen was merely performing CPR. He still belonged to MC. Even so, watching him use the same lips which were laid upon on Areum’s just this morning, and now being used to greet MC’s was a trigger. Even if he didn’t belong to her anymore, even if he no longer had feelings for her, Areum couldn’t help feeling jealous. She knew having these feelings were stupid of her. However, in the end, no one can take someone from you if he didn’t want to leave. She didn’t blame MC; she couldn’t.
The pangs in Areum’s chest were becoming unbearable. It hurt. It hurt to see him with another woman. It hurt to admit that she still had feelings for this man. It hurt that he didn’t share the same feelings. Well, how could he? She was the one who broke his heart. She was the one who chose to leave his side. Even so, why does it hurt like so? She should be happy he found someone to be by his side. She should be happy that she has a new happiness. She should be happy for him. Such thoughts continued to flood her head and she began to find herself unable to catch her breath.
“Areum, are you okay?!” Her manager pulled over the van to check on her. It took her a few moments to calm herself down, but she managed to nod and signal for him to continue driving.
“I just need a nap. I think the lack of sleep is finally getting to me. Plus, the air’s a bit dry today. I’ll be fine.”
She closed her eyes and laid her head against the head rest, praying that if she were to fall back, she’d up in the arms of the man behind her. As soon as that thought ran through her head, her face scrunched up in frustration. How could she even think of such a scenario when the woman he loved now was sitting right next to him? She was angry at herself. She wanted to punch herself in everyone’s stead. She knew her only option was to suppress these feelings for the next few months, then everything will be okay. One day the sun will shine for her again. Just as it’s shone for Zen, she’ll find a different warmth. She’ll bloom facing a new light.
Yes, that’s right. I was the one who turned my face a different way first. I’ll become my own sun. I’ll become my own warmth.

 

“It’s a pleasure to have you on set with us again, Mr. Han.” Areum laughed at her own words. Mr. Han. She wasn’t used to addressing him as an executive director.
“Don’t call me that. That’s only for my workers and business partners.” Jumin spoke with his arms crossed above his chest. He was just as stiff and curt as ever. It was actually funny to see that he hasn’t changed much since young. The only differences now was that he was stretched out. Areum giggled at that her thoughts.
“Are we not business partners, Mr. Han? I’m a worker under your current project, no?” Although it’s been years since they’ve seen one another, she was still able to joke around with him. It brought a smile to her face. Even though her life has changed dramatically since they’ve last met, he was still the same as ever. It made her feel at ease.
“Oh, actually, since I met you last time at the script reading, I had been wondering about this since you’re good friends with V… How are V and Rika doing? Are they still together?” For just a moment, she saw a pained expression spread across on his face. He let out a sigh.
“If you don’t want to tell me then, never mind. I was just curious…” She picked up on his body cues. It was not an issue he wanted to talk about. His inability to answer only made her more curious about the two. She wondered if they had a fallout. Perhaps they ran away and eloped somewhere. Many different scenarios ran through her mind. She wanted an answer and it showed on her face.
“It’s not that I can’t speak about it. After all, you were also their friend.” Jumin started, but what bothered Areum was the word he used, were. What did he mean by were?
“It may come as a bit of a shock as it did for me, so be prepared. Rika committed suicide about two years ago and V has been missing since our last party. I still have people trying to track him down right now, but I haven’t found any traces of him yet.”
Areum was shocked at the turn of events. Never would she have thought that such a thing would happen with those two. How could Rika commit suicide? And V is missing? Did he follow her? Was he hiding? Could he not depend on Jumin? They were such good friends. How could he leave without a word?
“I’m sorry.. I… I don’t even know how to respond to this. I can’t… I can’t get my mind to grasp around the fact that Rika would commit such an act… and—“
“Hush, little lady. I understand it’s a lot to take in. I should have told you after the shoot. It may be a bit difficult to concentrate now. I apologize.” Jumin held a hand on her shoulder, patting it occasionally.
“Rika was such a good person. How did she end up…” Tears began streaming down her face. “And V too… how could he leave? He didn’t tell you anything?” 

“How can you make a woman cry?! You’re really the worst, Han Jumin!” Zen yelled as he began storming over to the two. He was angry. How could he make Areum cry like this on set. It probably wasn’t even the first time he’s made someone cry. There were probably many employees who went through tough treatment from him. Thinking about all the sleepless nights Jaehee has endured, all the harsh words he’s spoken towards her; Zen only imagined the worst. Areum’s performance has been lacking in the previous shoots and that has caused many overtime hours to go into this production. He knew it was because of him. He couldn’t stand watching Areum get in trouble because of him. No matter what, he had to defend her. “What did you say to her, Trustfund kid?!”
Zen forcefully removed Jumin’s hand from Areum’s shoulder and stood in front of her, acting as her shield.
“I don’t have time to deal with you.” Jumin scoffed.
“I swear. If you—“ Zen felt Areum tug on his shirt from behind.
“Hyun, stop. He didn’t do anything. I asked him about V and Rika because I was curious, but I-I didn’t expect that Rika would… she would..” Her heart dropped as an image of Rika committing suicide played in her mind. She couldn’t even continue that sentence. It just didn’t seem to be reality. Was this a nightmare? Please let it be a nightmare. Please let me wake up.
Areum’s face was buried in her hands as she quietly sobbed. Zen looked up at Jumin and felt a sense of guilt for yelling at Jumin so intensely. He muttered a word of apology before turning around to comfort Areum.
“What was that?” Jumin asked teasing Zen. He held his ear closer to Zen to hear another round of apology.
“I swear Mr. Trustfund…” Zen growled through gritted teeth.
“That’s no way to apologize now, is it? Anyway, I have private business to discuss with Areum so I’ll have to take her away now. Please excuse us.” Jumin pushed Zen aside and grabbed Areum by her shoulders. He slowly pushed her over to a more private area before letting her go.
“Jumin, I’d like to visit Rika’s grave. Please take me when you have the chance… or well, you must be busy, so please provide me with a location… also, thanks for pulling me away just now. I don’t know how much longer I can stand being in front of Hyun.. it’s become difficult for me.” Areum bowed to Jumin in appreciation.
“It wasn’t an excuse for you, so there's no need to thank me. What happened between you and Zen is none of my business, nor do I care in particular. I pulled you away because I have a personal request for you. Of course, if you agree, I’ll have a contract drawn up for us and you’ll receive benefits for it. It would be a very good deal. Not much will be requested of you and, of course, I will be sure to protect you from the press.”
“What is it, Jumin?”
“Marry me.” 

I stared at the man in front of me in confusion, however unlike my own, his eyes showed a resolute decision. His unwavering stance before me made me think for the first time in years… perhaps this is could new beginning for me.