Part 2

I open at the Close
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Oppa. The girl called for the fifth time, but Woohyun kept walking without paying attention to her. She wasn’t the type who gave up easily though. Your classes ended earlier than usual and your shift at the store starts at 2pm, so I know you have free time.

Great. One of my many stalkers. Woohyun thought, as he hurried his steps.

The girl suddenly crossed his path and stood in front of him, with no intention to move. I know that you are not listening to music, those earphones are just an act. Stop ignoring me, I know that you can see and hear me perfectly.

Woohyun sighed and looked at the girl in front of him – Yang Miran, one of the many ghosts that followed him around. Woohyun liked her, she was a nice… ghost, but a quite demanding one and was never satisfied until she had all of Woohyun’s attention. She was right though, there was over an hour until his shift starts and he had nothing to do, but dealing with a ghost wasn’t exactly what he wanted right now, especially when one ruined his day yesterday. Woohyun knew that it was his fault for shouting at Sunggyu, but he still blamed it on the black haired ghost. Woohyun barely slept last night, wondering about the excuse he should come up with the next time he sees Sunggyu, if he sees him again that is, he wasn’t sure the other would show up at the store today or at all.

Woohyun was about to start walking again, but Miran spread her arms, the boy was still determined to walk right through her anyway.

I just wanted to say goodbye.

Well, that surely got Woohyun’s attention and he looked at the girl, who was smiling at him. He removed one of his earphones, but looked around first, making sure there was no one around before he spoke. “What do you mean by that? It’s been barely a month since you…” Woohyun paused, because he didn’t want to use the word ‘died’ in front of someone, who has indeed already passed away.   

I know, but I think I played around enough. It’s time to deal with what kept me here in the first place, before it’s too late.

“Why did you stay behind, Miran? Why couldn’t you move on?” Woohyun asked, as he completely got rid of his earphones. Ghosts usually stuck around for much longer than a month, so he wondered for the reason of Miran's decision to leave so suddenly.

The girl smiled again and walked a few steps closer to Woohyun. This is why I came to you today. I wanted to say goodbye, but I also need your help before I leave. So, will you come with me?



When Woohyun decided to follow Miran, he certainly didn’t expect to be brought to such a place. He was currently at an animal’s shelter, walking towards a certain cage. He and the ghost stopped in front of a female shih tzu, who looked rather depressed, for a dog.  However, the puppy noticed their presence right away and got up, wagging its tail at them. Miran extended her arm and wanted to pet the animal, but her hand just passed through it, the shih tzu still let out a happy sounding bark though.

“Is she yours?” Woohyun asked, as he observed their interaction.

Miran nodded. She was. My parents hate animals, so I got Ahreum right after I graduated from high school and moved away. When I died, I knew they would refuse to accept her and she was sent here. But they can keep her at the shelter only for a month. If she doesn’t find an owner soon, I don’t know what will happen to her…

So this is her unfinished business. “How can I help?”

I was wondering if you could take her? The ghost offered, sending Woohyun a pleading look.

“I… I’m sorry, I can’t. I have never taken care of a pet and my landlord doesn’t allow animals in the apartment.” Miran looked deeply hurt by Woohyun’s words, he was her last hope. “But I have a friend, who adores dogs. He even has two, but maybe he won’t mind taking another one.”

The ghost smiled brightly. Really?? Really??

“Yes, I will call him in the afternoon and text him the address. I will tell him to specifically look for a female shih tzu named Ahreum.” Woohyun looked at the puppy, who seemed excited now, it was as if she knew Miran was there and that something good was about to happen. “She’s cute, I’m sure he will like her. He’s a very good person and I am sure he will take great care of her, so you don’t have to worry.”

Thank you, Woooohyun!!! The ghost started jumping around and so did the puppy.

Like owner, like pet. Woohyun thought, as he laughed.





Woohyun was in a slightly better mood now, he felt happiness when he helped Miran, but he was also kind of sad that he won’t be seeing her anymore. She was probably going to stick around for a few more days until the puppy got adopted, but then she would have to leave this world for good, better things were waiting for her on the other side.

Woohyun looked at his phone and saw that it was almost time for Sunggyu to arrive. Suddenly 6pm was anything, but his favorite time of the day. He actually dreaded the meeting, he still wasn’t sure what to say and maybe his dear customer could suddenly decide to change shops and also-
 
The hanging bell on the door rang and Woohyun was snapped out of his thoughts. He gulped down when Sunggyu casually walked in just like any other day. Punctual as always.

But of course, things were not the same as any other day. Sunggyu didn’t even spare a glance at Woohyun or bother to greet him and disappeared inside the store. Woohyun started sweating again, because Sunggyu’s actions meant two things – that he was probably angry at Woohyun and that he was definitely going to buy something, which meant that he will have to pay and that also meant that he would appear right in front of Woohyun in 3-2-1, ah there he was!

Woohyun straighten his back and wiped his sweaty hands over his pants. He cleared his throat beforehand, because he didn’t want his voice to give in. Just act normal, you can do this! Sunggyu threw his water, ramen and chocolate (they re-stocked them in the morning) on the counter, still refusing to look at Woohyun. T-talk to him! He’s here! Don’t just stand like an idiot! There was obviously tension in the air and Woohyun knew he had to break the silence, but he just couldn’t say anything, he did however eye the black haired ghost, which was standing next to Sunggyu.

Serves you right. The ghost said and laughed in Woohyun’s face again.

This is all your fault! Aaagh, I want to wipe off that hideous smile on his face!  

“So, you’ve got a huge problem with me, huh?” Sunggyu suddenly spoke, surprising both Woohyun and the ghost with his words.

“W-what? What do mean?”

Sunggyu finally looked up, but his expression was still unreadable. “You can’t even wrap my stuff, so I can leave? Am I missing something? Did I do something to offend you yesterday or?” Sunggyu clearly looked upset now and Woohyun was just standing without even doing his job as a shop assistant.

“That’s not it! You’ve got it all wrong!”

“Have I?”

“Y-yes! I…” Okay, Woohyun. Formulate your sentence in your head and don’t mess up again, think of this as your last shot! “I am really sorry about yesterday! Thos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter