Part 1

I open at the Close
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The door was opened and the hanging bell on it rang, signaling that someone had just walked in. The noise made Woohyun’s ears perk up and he smiled instantly. He’s here. It was exactly 6pm. Yes, Woohyun had been staring at his watch for the past 10 minutes, so he knew what time it was. After all, his favorite customer was as punctual as a Swiss’s watch, never failing to appear right at 6pm. Woohyun looked in the direction of the door and his eyes fell on the man, whom he had been waiting for all afternoon.

“Good evening, Sunggyu-shi!” He greeted, as he waved enthusiastically at the newcomer.

“Ah, hello Woohyun-shi.” The customer bowed slightly and disappeared into the store.

What a great time to be alive! How come he gets even more beautiful by each day? Woohyun wondered as he stared at Sunggyu’s back, hoping that the other would turn around, so he could see his face again.

Yes, 6pm was definitely Nam Woohyun’s favorite time of the day. Why? Simply because, every night at exactly 6 o’clock, Woohyun’s crush – Kim Sunggyu walked through the door. Scratch the word crush, Woohyun was pretty sure he was head over heels for Sunggyu.

Woohyun couldn’t find an explanation for his sudden interest in the other either, it just happened.





It all began a month ago, when Sunggyu started visiting the convenience store, which Woohyun was working at. Nothing unusual so far. Woohyun always took the second shift from 2pm to 10pm, because he had classes in the morning. He was currently in his final university year, majoring in Physical Education. He was rather passionate about football (and pretty good at it too), so his dream was to become a coach once he graduated. He didn’t want to be a burden to his parents, so he rented a small apartment when he graduated from high school and it was already his 3rd year working at this store - the pay was nice, it was close to where he currently lived and his co-workers and boss were good people as well. Woohyun tried to be as cheerful as he could, while he was working, but all the training in the morning and the tests were tiring his mind and body, so his smile just naturally disappeared from his face and was replaced by a worn out expression. He was still polite to his customers, but nowadays he barely looked at their faces, he avoided looking up in general, because there were other things, which he didn't want to see.

Anyway, there were some regulars which Woohyun was used to, but now there was a strange man in his store. Yesterday, when the man was leaving Woohyun lifted up his head a bit and only saw his back, but right now that same man was at the exactly same spot  as the day before – the ramen stand. It was the man’s 3rd visit in a row, day after day and Woohyun already knew what the mysterious customer was about to buy – mineral water, spicy ramen and dark chocolate. It was one hella weird combination, so yesterday after the man paid Woohyun wanted to at least see his face, but the other had already walked out. Today however, Woohyun was determined to connect the weird shopping list with a face.

A few minutes later, the man stood in front of Woohyun with the expected items in hands – a bottle of mineral water, extra spicy ramen and dark chocolate. Woohyun’s eyes ran over the other man’s face. He looks rather… normal. Woohyun concluded in his mind, but he thought that the man in front of him looked quite cute with his slightly chubby cheeks, small eyes and lips, which were pressed into a thin line. Maybe Woohyun’s gaze stayed on the man’s mouth for too long and he could see that the customer’s lips were moving, which meant he was saying something?

“Umm… Woohyun-shi?”

Woohyun finally registered that the stranger was indeed talking to him, when he heard his name being called. “Ah, y-yes?”

“You have been staring at me for a while and I just wanted to pay.”

Woohyun’s eyes travelled to the man’s hands and he saw that he was holding some money. “I-I’m sorry!” Woohyun quickly apologized and took the cash. He placed the items in a plastic bag and was about to give the customer his change, but then he realized something. “How do you know my name?” He asked, while handing both the change and the plastic bag to the man.

“Well, it’s written on your name badge.” The customer answered, as he pointed at the badge on Woohyun’s uniform.

“Oh, right! Silly me, ha-ha.” Woohyun let out an awkward laugh, as he scratched the back of his head. What’s wrong with me? First, I stare at him for too long and now I’m asking him stupid questions. And I have been trying to follow my new policy so hard – Nam Woohyun, stop being weird!

“You should smile more.”

The stranger suddenly said and Woohyun’s awkward laugh came to a halt. “W-what?”

“I mean- You have always been looking down, whenever I came, so I-I was wondering if you were having some problems or if something was troubling you. But seeing you smile, I just think it suits you. Uuurm, I-I don’t even know what I’m saying at the moment. Now, if you would excuse me!” The customer bowed and grabbed the plastic bag with the intention to run away, but Woohyun’s voice stopped him, as he grabbed the handle of the door.

“W-wait!” Woohyun called out, gaining the other man’s attention.

“Yes?”

“What’s your name?” Woohyun questioned and he once again wondered what was wrong with him today. “Well, you know my name, so I thought it’s only fair to hear yours as well.” Woohyun justified himself, but he actually had an ulterior motive. Hejust found himself quite fond of the stranger’s voice, so he wanted to hear more of it, this short conversation – he wanted to keep it up. The other man stood at the door for a few seconds without saying anything and Woohyun thought that he had maybe stepped over the line with his question, but then the man smiled – a smile, which was as bright as the Sirius star and Woohyun couldn’t tear his eyes away, especially when he heard that angelic voice again.

“You are right. My name is Kim Sunggyu. It was nice to meet you, Woohyun-shi.”

And with those words, the man who was now not a stranger anymore, walked out of the store and Woohyun replayed the scene in his mind a few more times.

 H-he smiled and his eyes almost disappeared, waah and he told me his name, he has such a lovely voice. I wonder if he will come to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter