Who's That?

Walking the Wild Beat

Before I begin, I just wanted to show off the fanart my lovely best friend made for this (lion!Joonxaplaca!Jin), it also goes along with the chapter I promise


Kim Namjoon was a lion and an Alpha.

Since he was the first Alpha in his family line in three generations and the first lion for just as long, his parents didn't really know what to do with him. His mother was a doe who honestly looked quite a bit like him (though he will vehemently deny that he looks just like her with a wig, a fact founded courtesy of Jungkook and Hoseok making him cross-dress after he failed a dare) and his father was a lanky giraffe. They were both Betas who didn't see the point in the other two dynamic extremes. They were absolutely positive any offspring they had would be meek and some type of prey like they were, and at the most would present as an Omega.

So Namjoon was quite a surprise to say the least. They didn't let his class change how they planned to raise him however, so Namjoon grew up studying and doing inside activities instead of learning how to hunt and play roughly like his other predator counterparts.

Because of this, school was difficult for the boy. He didn't seem to fit in anywhere. The people that he could relate to were scared of him, and the people that weren't thought he was a big baby. He felt so incredibly alone, like a whale that called out at a different hertz than all of the others, never being heard.

He started to resent his parents in middle school, his most angsty years. He felt like they didn't understand how much trouble they had caused him, and never would. Going through puberty and his first rut made the rift between himself and his parents even larger, and even when he set off for the police academy his relationship with his father hadn't been fully repaired. Certainly better than previous years, but nothing like the never-ending adoration he had for his dad when he was very young.

In high school however, Namjoon was able to meet another Alpha who was actually nice to him, Seungcheol. Seungcheol was an underclassman who looked up to the lion after he saw the boy's consistent rankings at the top of his class. The younger male aspired to be a brilliant leader like Namjoon and would constantly ask for advice, something Namjoon found jarring yet comforting.

He had never had anyone look up to him before, and he was quite flattered that it was someone of the same dynamic as him, even if they were younger. He was so used to other Alphas looking down on him, his friendship with Seungcheol was a nice change.

Seungcheol was a panther, so he loved to play-fight with Namjoon. The older boy couldn't remember how many times he had been tackled and provoked by the panther in his younger days, but he knew that he was thankful for the experience whenever he would have to fight Jungkook (though the other liked to use his feet to kick to throw Namjoon off balance and then attack, true to both of his natures.)

When Namjoon graduated Seungcheol was the only one to greet him that wasn't a part of his family. He could see the red the boy's eyes and knew that the other valued their friendship just as much as he did. Seungcheol was his best friend, and he vowed to never forget that.

Of course, their conversations waned over the years as they lived their lives, and by the time Namjoon graduated from the police academy he hadn't heard from Seungcheol in quite a while. He couldn't say he was surprised though, he knew friendships could weaken with time.

That still didn't stop him from surveying the crowd at the graduation ceremony before going to join Jungkook and Hoseok.

Getting assigned to such a large station was nerve-wracking at first, but as his eyes connected with his mates' he didn't feel a bit of fear. The more he got to know Seokjin the more he fell in love, and he knew it was the same for the other man.

Living his days in almost-wedded bliss was not what he imagined when he thought about the start of his career as an officer, but looking at Jin, touching Jin, holding the elder's hands that were as large as his own and running his fingers across ones that were slightly crooked but oh so warm-

Namjoon couldn't imagine anything better.

Just as he was settling into life at the station, with his squeaky chair and Jackson constantly requesting they meet up to hang out (he really did like the wolf but did he have to be so persistent), he recieved a huge shock.

Seungcheol was here, at the station, with a full officer's uniform on.

"Everybody, this is our latest recruit, Choi Seungcheol."

"UGH," Yoongi groaned loudly from where he was uncuffing a perp, "another one? Tell them to take them somewhere else, we just got three a few months ago and they don't even do anything."

"HEY," Hoseok stood up, ready to stand up for himself, "I do a lot around here!"

"Me too!" Jungkook called out lazily from his desk, looking intently at his computer and not nearly so concerned about defending himself against the fox.

"Oh yeah, I forgot, staring at Jimin's in his full-body mugshots and swapping spit with Taehyung on the clock are full time jobs. My mistake." Yoongi remarked sarcastically. "I still don't understand how you managed to get him to do that Jeon, he knows the procedure better than you."

Jungkook just grinned cheekily at his hyung, bunny teeth on full display. "You'd be surprised at what this body can get me, Min."

Hoseok snorted. "Maybe a soggy fry if you're lucky." Taehyung commented under his breath.

"Jimin would give at least his signed Big Bang album to be with me. I'd never let him though, it means too much to both of us." Jungkook replied back snootily.

Jin started to laugh at his coworkers' antics. "I didn't think you would value yourself so highly Kookie. Let's not get too cocky, right Namjoon?" However, the younger didn't instantaneously respond like Jin had become so used to. "Joonie?" Jin turned to look at the man.

"Cheollie." Namjoon mumured, still staring at the new officer. The other was staring right back.

"Joonbug." Seungcheol replied, trying to hold in his tears.

The two looked at each other for a moment longer before getting up and running to lock the other in a hug, squeezing the life out of each other.

What was Namjoon doing? Jin thought in a panic. First he ignores me, then he's hugging this man I don't even know like they're long-lost lovers? But I love Namjoon so much, how could he possibly do this to me, I thought he was the one...

The people in their vicinity heard a loud thump as Namjoon pounded his fist into Seungcheol's back, breaking up the hug. "Where were you?! I haven't heard from you in years Cheollie, I was so worried!" the taller man squawked.

"I'm sorry Joonbug, but I wanted to focus completely on getting through the police academy and being able to come here. You've always been like a big brother to me, I wish I didn't have to leave at all. I missed you." Seungcheol pulled the lion back into another hug, this time wrapping his tail loosely around Namjoon's, a sign of close friendship or brotherhood.

"I missed you too." The lion sighed, before breaking out of the panther's embrace to turn to Jin. He smiled proudly and his ears perked up as he gestured to the alpaca. "This is my mate, Seokjin. Isn't he beautiful?" Everyone could hear the adoration in his voice.

"Ah, an alpaca. I never would have guessed Namjoon!" Seungcheol patted him on the back good-naturedly. Jin pouted. This stupid panther didn't know him at all and was already judging him. "He's much more beautiful than anyone I expected you to go after!" That made Jin perk up again.

"I know," Namjoon rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "In school I would've been way too insecure but Jin...he's just so perfect for me." Namjoon looked right into his mate's eyes. "I couldn't ask for anything better." Jin wanted to blush, but instead lifted his head proudly.

"Same here! I met my mate while I was still training!" Seungcheol added on happily, not seeming to notice the atmosphere between the couple.

"Oh really?" Namjoon was really interested now. "What is she? A panther like you?"

"She? Oh no, HE. Jeonghan's a leopard. He's beautiful, but insanely conniving. He's got four guys under his thumb at his workplace already and we've only been here for a week!" the man laughed.

"Um."

"Oh, not like that," Seungcheol shook his hand and waved his hands, "He treats them like they're his kids, even calls one of them his baby. They're all models, and he swore off models ever since his last relationship with an American one. Said it was too dramatic with living in different countries."

"Well then... maybe we can go for a double date sometime?" Jin suggested, feeling a lot more relieved now that his man had proven himself loyal.

"Sounds great! I'm sure Hannie would love it!" This panther sure was energetic, Seokjin thought to himself.

"Okay, now that the reunion's over and the happy couple is made up again, can we get to talking about actual policework? We have a case." Yoongi threw a file onto a large table near a big window in the room, situated at the end of the desks.

Jungkook ran over curiously. "What is it? Who is it? Some crazy drug lord who has been on the run for 10 years now but is running out of steam, so the only way he'll go out is in a blaze of glory that we'll have to stop him from?"

"No." Yoongi deadpanned before flipping open the file for the officers' and secretary's curious eyes to view. "His name is Lee Jihoon, age 21-"

"Yoongi." Jungkook said, mouth slightly open, making him look goofier than usual.

"What."

"He-"

"I know."

"But you-"

"I know what you're gonna say Jungkook. We don't really look alike."

"How-"

"I just know. Stop asking."

"Can you read minds?" Taehyung asked seriously as he twisted his tail, mouth also wide open.

"I promised Youngjae I wouldn't kill anymore." Yoongi sighed under his breath before turning the page.

"Anyway, he's a good informant. Would be a great person to have on our side, since he's pretty ruthless despite his looks."

Jungkook giggled. "Runs in the family-" he groaned as he felt a sharp impact on his stomach.

"His protection is this guy, Xu Minghao," Yoongi carried on as if he had done nothing. "He also looks quite innocent, but don't be fooled. He's been trained by the best in China-"

"Hey. I know him." Seungcheol pointed at the picture of Minghao. "He's one of those guys I mentioned. Hannie's sunflower from what I remember."

"Your boyfriend calls this dude his sunflower? This hardened criminal who has spent the majority of his life training to be a walking death machine his sunflower?" Yoongi couldn't believe this.

"I didn't ask for my Hannie to be so popular. And it's not my fault they let him call them whatever he wants." Seungcheol pouted like a child as he crossed his arms.

Jungkook and Taehyung started whispering before Jungkook blurted out, "Can we make his code name "Sunflower" then?"

Yoongi turned to look at Namjoon, hoping at least one person could be helpful, only to see him nibbling at Seokjin's neck, growling lightly whenever the older male would wiggle against him.

He didn't get paid nearly enough for this .