Let's Switch It Up.

Walking the Wild Beat

Jimin


 

I'd never really given much thought to mates.

I knew they existed of course, but at some point I figured that maybe there just wasn't someone out there for me. And I was okay with that.

When I first met Yoongi, I thought that maybe he had been it for me. Even though I didn't feel that immediate sense of knowing that I knew was supposed to happen when you met your mate, I still hoped. Nobody else had really cared for me in the way he had.

But when he introduced me to Youngjae, his peppy, happy mate, I knew that it wasn't meant to be. I only felt a sense of loss in the sense that now I had no candidates for potential mate material, and so I figured it didn't really matter what I did, since I probably would never find them at this rate. In my mind I had settled on the conclusion that I would live an insecure life, and would die alone.

Yoongi pulled me aside one day after he had went through a rough ordeal with his group, and said that he had to quit the business. "It's not safe for Youngjae." He explained with a hint of a long-suffering sigh coming into his voice. "Or me. These cops gave me a good deal, a safe deal, and I couldn't pass it up Minnie. You understand, don't you?"

Of course I understood. I always understood, like when my mother told me that I had to stay at home as she went out to get groceries, "Because Jiminnie is my good boy, he understands Eomma right?"

Except Eomma never came back, only officers to tell me she had been murdered by a local gang and that I would now have to fend for myself, since I was "a big kit who can take care of himself, do you understand?"

I understood when the other few kits I had been staying with on the streets told me that I had to hold our spot on the corner for them as they went out to look for food, only to find out that we had been sleeping on a gang's turf and they didn't take kindly to scragglers. The others had decided to leave me behind since I was small and seemingly weak anyway, a liability. Thankfully, the gang had decided that only one of us wasn't enough to count as retribution, so they went out to look for the others. They interrogated me about their location, but I told them that they had left me behind. Some of the members gave me pitying looks, pat me on the head, and made their way down the street.

I didn't group up with any other street kits after that.

So I told Yoongi that yes, Minnie understood.

But that didn't mean I wanted to.

After that, Yoongi would still come in to check on me, but not nearly as often as he had before. I wasn't jealous of Youngjae because I wanted Yoongi, but I was jealous because I missed the affection I would get from the older fox. So then I figured, if he can't come to me, I'll just go to him.

That's how I ended up at the City of Seoul Police Station, getting fingerprinted for some petty crime that could easily be paid off or swept away. I didn't do it for the actual crime, but to just be able to see my once best and only friend again.

Shortly after that I started getting well acquainted with the staff of the station, learning names and eventually only going through the motions of getting booked. They never actually did much about my crimes other than give me a stern talk and a bit of time spent handcuffed.

I soon found another mother figure in the alpaca who worked near the bullpen, Seokjin. He loved to talk about cooking and was warm and fuzzy (as most alpacas tended to be), but had a fiery temper. I had seen Yoongi get chewed out by the older male more times than I could count and I always never knew whether to laugh at the Omega's exaggerated nagging or feel bad for the Alpha (usually the hilariousness of the situation won out, seeing the red-faced alpaca yell progressively louder at the stern-faced Fennec was hilarious).

And Jin, being the ready-made Mom that he is, would always cuddle me close whenever I would silently cry from all of the stress I was going through. And nobody in the station would say a word.

That day was like any other day, getting arrested, anticipating seeing the only two people I'm close to in the world and telling them everything that's happened since the last time I saw them, dreading the moment I would have to leave just so I could do it all over again.

Until something abnormal happened.

Jackson decided to call dibs on me, since the wolf had taken a liking to me since he first showed up at the precinct. The first time we met, he squished my cheeks as he squealed, saying that I would be perfect for his Markie-poo's Fall collection show.

I had to learn to love Jackson and his eccentricities.

When he escorted me over to where the desks were, I was confused. "There are some new guys here, I wanted one to book you just to test him." he whispered to me as we walked. They've never done this before; knowing rookies would think I was actually out to hurt someone instead of just using unconventional methods to see my friends. But I trusted Jackson, so I played along.

"JEON! Got one for ya to book!" Jackson shouted in his characteristically loud manner. I ducked my head, wanting to play my part well.

"He's a pitiful thing, Officer Kang picked him up for panhandling. He's just a red panda Omega, so go easy on the guy." Jackson damn well knew I hated being called things like pitiful and being judged because of my dynamic. I was lucky that I had decided to duck my head, since I was gritting my teeth at the introduction.

He sat me down in the chair, still cuffed, which was odd since they would usually be off by this point. I didn't think much of it however, I had to a part to play after all.

"Okay. Let's get this over with. Name please." this Jeon person said, sounding way too peppy for a guy that's talking to a supposed criminal.

"....-rk." I mumbled out, not really in the mood to entertain this guy. I was tired from trying to run from Kang, since I figured if I was going to the station anyway I may as well have a bit of a chase beforehand. That chase however, landed me on the ground with my hands shoved roughly behind my back. I took a mental note to not try chases again.

"Excuse me? This will go a lot quicker if you just speak clearly." the kid huffed. Some of Yoongi's temper must have rubbed off onto me, since I felt like hitting this kid on the head. I figured if he was a rookie, he was probably younger than me, or at the very least more inexperienced than myself. Who was he to get an attitude with me?

I finally decided to satiate my curiosity and see just what this Jeon guy looked like. "My name is Park Jimin." I said more clearly as I let my gaze travel up from my hands to the officer's face, taking note of the badge pinned to his shirt that stated "JEON JUNGKOOK" in blocky letters.

The first thing I saw on his face were his eyes. They were wide and the color of his irises were a clear, glossy brown. Even though I didn't know him, I could see the excitement brewing underneath the surface of his calm exterior. Next was his face, the smallest bumps caused by acne dotted across his cheeks, a mole under his bottom lip, and a somewhat large nose. Finally his haircut, a weird stylized bowl cut that was colored brown, with two black rabbit ears standing tall at the very top.

I thought he was beautiful.

Is this what meeting your soulmate feels like? Some deep part of my primal instincts screamed that yes, this is what finding your mate is. The one being I thought would never exist for me was actually sitting right before me, close enough to touch, and although I didn't know him I knew that I would never love someone as much as I love him.

"You-" I pointed at him, and I was vaguely aware that my finger shook slightly with the gesture. He was what I had been searching for, my missing piece, the one person who would comfort me and love me unconditionally-

"Looks like I'm gonna have to book you with theft Park Jimin. You've just stolen my heart."

Even though I already had done so just a few moments ago, I knew that I had fallen in love with Jeon Jungkook again, and would continue to over and over for the rest of our lives.