Chapter 3

Espressivo

Yoongi pressed down the keys lightly as he tried to figure out a melody that he could use for one of his final pieces. It was no use, however―he had been inside the small piano room for hours now, with no sign of inspiration washing over him. 

 

He didn't understand. Normally, the ideas would just flow out of his mind―like a clear river stream on a warm spring day. Today―no―since the past week, there was nothing. 

 

Okay, maybe he was exaggerating. The black haired male had come up with a few ideas, here and there. But they weren't concrete. None of them appealed to him enough. They had no...feeling.

 

No. 

 

He wanted to prove them wrong. He wanted to prove everyone wrong. 

 

And he was going to do just that―once he had his inspiration, that is.

 

Sliding his fingers off the black and white keys for the nth time that day, he decided to go to the cafe nearby. Maybe some coffee was what he needed before he started working on the music. 

 

He was beginning to feel a little sleepy; seventy-two hours of work with no more than five-minute breaks could do that to you. Not that Yoongi particularly cared at the moment―sleep was the least of his problems, really.

 

Turning the handle, the pale skinned male pulled the door open and headed towards the small cafe he frequented at. 

 

He passed by many doors, with different sounds resounding from the other side of them. 

 

The steady sound of the flute, as he passed one of the rooms, reminded him of the sea; the waves slowly rushing to the shore―the cool water washing over his feet.

 

As he walked a few more steps ahead, he heard the low, muffled harp. It made him feel as―as if he was lying on clouds in the night sky. He could almost hear the twinkle of the stars above him as the string instrument continued to play from his right. 

 

With his eyelids starting to fall for the trap, he quickly shook his head. Sleep sounded so appealing to him, but he couldn't―not now. 

 

Coffee, right.

 

He speed walked past the remaining music rooms in order to prevent himself from falling into a trance again. The dance studios were next―but they were generally quiet. There was no sign of life as glanced at each of them, with only darkness invading the empty space. 

 

All empty―except one, he realised, noticing the faint light at the end of the corridor. 

 

Yoongi should have turned around and left; the cafe was getting further away as he silently moved forward. He didn't understand why he was trying to be so cautious; he doubted the student inside would hear him anyway. 

 

Dismissing the thought, he inched closer to the light.

 

It's like he was the protagonist in a thriller―being careful with every step he took, so that the killer couldn't capture him.

 

But he disliked the protagonists in those movies―he found them annoying more than anything. So he stopped trying to sneak around and just casually walked past the room.

 

The slow, yet heavy panting resounding from the dancer stopped him however.

 

It was like a steady rhythm. 

 

1, 2...1, 2...1, 2.

 

Curious, he turned around and peered over at the dancer inside. The male looked about his height, possibly only a few inches shorter than him. 

 

His silver hair was almost shining because of the light hovering right above him. His back was facing him, so all he could see was his neck, which had sweat glistening off of it.

 

The silver haired dancer was wearing a large grey hoodie and track bottoms―they made the other look even smaller.

 

Noticing the other turning around, he pulled his face back. What was he doing? This was practically stalker-like behaviour.

 

His coffee was completely forgotten by then.

 

Not exactly able to comprehend it, Yoongi moved forward and looked over at the dancer again. He realised the other was texting someone as he observed the dancer from the side.

 

There appeared to be a frown on his face now, at least that's what he felt from the corner of his lips inching closer to the jawline. Then, the other tossed his phone on his bag on the floor and walked back to the centre.

 

Yoongi watched as he pressed a button on the stereo, before turning to face the mirrored wall.

 

The soft strumming of an acoustic guitar resonates off the cream coloured walls, gradually getting louder as the track progressed. He couldn't recognise the music, but continued to watch on.

 

His eyes landed on the mirrors, and he could see the other's face properly now. Due to the dancer moving around, Yoongi could only catch glimpses of the sun-kissed complexion; the small silver earring on his right ear lobe; the slightly chubby cheeks.

 

But what really blew him away was the dancing.

 

He'd never seen someone move so fluidly―it was like the silver haired male had no bones in his small body.

 

Yoongi stood straight and observed the other, his eyes refusing to be averted from the performance. He shouldn't be doing, it felt wrong―it was wrong.

 

But he couldn't turn away now. It was hypnotising―he was hypnotising.

 

The way the back of his hands moved over his eyes, then sliding around the back of his head. 

 

His small fingers danced to the slow rhythm before swiftly moving to the left side of his neck. His hand twisted to display the palm of his hand to the mirror as it glided down his right shoulder in a diagonal motion.

 

Abruptly the hand slid back up to his neck―his thumb and fingers wrapped around the skin as if he was strangling himself.

 

The fingers gently moved upwards, his chin lifting up for a moment until they slithered down, pulling his whole body down to the wooden floor hardly.

 

Yoongi winced as he heard the loud thump of the dancer's knees contacted with the floor. He was sure that would leave a bruise.

 

Now, the male fell back to the floor on his side before turning, so that his back was touching the smooth surface. It was only for a brief second―the silver haired male shot his arm up―his fingers twisting around into a fist, making it look as if he was holding onto some sort of invisible thread.

 

His body pulled him up in one swift motion before he slid back to the ground. 

 

The thread must have been snapped, he thought in amusement.

 

The ravenette wasn't given the chance to ponder further, because now the other male closed into himself, forming into a ball. Yoongi couldn't help but feel that this movement gave the impression of how small the other felt.

 

He could feel the sorrow the nameless male felt through his simple yet gracious movements. They sent chills to his spine.

 

This―this was how he wanted his music to make the audience feel. This was―

 

"Enjoying the view?" The whisper interrupted his train of thoughts, causing him to jump in surprise. Yoongi turned around and was met with two crescent-like eyes smiling at him mischievously. His wide grin irritated him so much, he wanted to wipe it straight off the blonde's face.

 

"Hoseok, you almost gave me a heart attack, ." He snapped in a whisper. He wished the younger would just make a visible entrance for once, instead of sneaking behind him every time.

 

You're in no place to talk, his conscience remarked. He closed his eyes and exhaled―it was right about that.

 

"What are you doing here?" Yoongi asked with a small sigh.

 

"Well, I was the one who texted you to come here, wasn't I?" The blonde shot back, the beaming grin still plastered on his face.

 

Yoongi tilted his head, his brows knitted together in confusion. He couldn't recall receiving such a text.

 

"You seem confused. I sent you a text ten minutes ago to come by the dance studio labelled D6." The ravenette glanced around for the room number, and realised this was room D6. Oh.

 

"Oh, yeah―right, that's why I'm here," he said quickly, averting his eyes away from the younger's. He could allow Hoseok know that he'd just happened to stumble across this room because of his curiosity.

 

"Okay..." Hoseok trailed off, a tone of suspicion hinted in his voice. "Anyway―let me introduce you to Jimin." Another wide grin flashed at him before he walked past him and entered inside the dance studio, where Jimin was still dancing away.

 

Yoongi silently followed behind the blonde, a hint of red flushing his pale cheeks.

 

"Jimin-ah! Sorry I'm late, I had some things to attend to," Hoseok greeted the silver haired male brightly, causing the latter to stop and turn around.

 

Yoongi observed them from the back. He watched as Jimin smiled brightly―so brightly, that it could rival Hoseok's.

 

Jimin's eyes almost disappeared as they formed crescents. Yoongi felt like he was being blinded from the sun because of the dancer's smile.

 

How could a person smile that brightly? ― Yoongi would never understand.

 

"It's okay, hyung. I didn't mind waiting, if it's you," Jimin mumbled the last words, but Yoongi had heard them clearly. There a flush of red on display as he looked down.

 

Oh.

 

Did he―for Hoseok―

 

"This is Yoongi, by the way. He's the one I told you about." Yoongi snapped his attention to the two males as he caught his name.

 

"Hi," he said with a bow, suddenly feeling small. 

 

Honestly, what had he been thinking, watching the younger like that in the shadows.

 

"Hi! It's nice to meet you, I'm Park Jimin. I hope we can get along well!" Jimin chirped, making Yoongi smile uncomfortably in return.

 

He sure was enthusiastic, he thought.

 

He noticed Jimin looking expectantly at him and looked at Hoseok, who mouthed the words, "your name".

 

"Oh, um, Min Yoongi." He answered.

 

"Is he always like this?" He heard Jimin ask the blonde with his hand covering his mouth.

 

I am right here, you know, he thought in annoyance.

 

"Yeah―don't worry though, you'll get used to it," the blonde whispered back.

 

The disrespect.

 

"I can hear you, you know," he interjected, his arms crossed in front of his chest. His embarrassment about what he had done earlier was completely forgotten now.

 

"Yeah, I know," Hoseok remarked, sniggered, resulting in Jimin to join him.

 

"If you're done, can we get down to business?" He said, glaring at the blonde. 

 

He turned to Jimin and looked at the younger up and down before saying, "He'll do. Meet me in room M4, 5pm sharp, tomorrow." He instructed before turning around to leave.

 

"Wait, hyung!" The ravenette turned around and raised a brow in question at Jimin. "Don't you want to see my dancing first?" The younger asked. He was about to say that he'd find out tomorrow anyway―no way was he going to admit that he had already seen the younger dance secretly.

 

"Oh, don't worry about that, Jimin. I think Yoongi hyung's seen more than enough already." Hoseok assured, sending a suggestive wink his way.

 

He was really going to murder the blonde one of these days.

 

But right now, he really needed some coffee.

 


 

a/n: why is university so draining;; i literally have it for only three days, and yet...sighs. this chapter is kinda boring ik, but it'll start picking up (she says hopefully). until then, see you next week c:

nb. the song that Jimin is dancing to is Halo covered by Jasmine Thompson. I was looking for lyrical dance and found it on yt; her voice is beautiful af :')