Chapter 13

Espressivo

Yoongi watched from the mirrors as Jimin continued to stumble over his steps, again and again. And again. Until he couldn't take it anymore.

 

When the silver-haired male slipped and almost fell, he knew they could not go on. The younger clearly had his mind elsewhere. Making him continue with rehearsing would be an move.

 

"Ah, sorry hyung! Can we take it from the top again?" The younger asked with his back facing Yoongi. He’s acting strange today, he thought. 

 

Maybe it was because of his finals – which were less than 3 weeks away now, he realised.



"Hyung, are you mad? I swear I'll have this down after a few more times, it's just this one step that I can't seem to figure out, and it's the part of the second verse whereㅡyou know what, it doesn't matter. But, god, I usually don't have problems coming up with dances, I don't know what's wrong with me today. And I know we've been practicing for a few hours now, but really, don't worry! Just a few more times andㅡ"

 

"Jimin!" He exclaimed, causing the dancer to abruptly shut his mouth. He sighed, turning to face the other male properly. "First – I want you to take a deep breath." He watched as the younger nodded and complied, his shoulders raising as he inhaled. 


Jimin looked at him with his brows raised and breath held in. This kid, really.


"You can breathe out, you know," he pointed out, releasing a breath of laughter. Once the younger male had let go of his breath, he looked at Yoongi with anxious eyes. Yeah, they were definitely stopping for today. 


"I'm sorry," the younger repeated in a small voice, and he'd be lying if he said it didn't cause his heart to clench. Just a little. A small part of him wanted to ask the other what had him so upset, but it wasn't his place to. Plus, he was sure Jimin wouldn't want him to interfere. 


"Jimin, I'm not mad," he said, realising that he hadn't responded to the younger's apology. "Really, I'm not." He assured when he noticed Jimin looking at him, unconvinced. 


"Why? I messed up so many times, and I've been doing that since we started practicing. How could you not be mad?" The younger questioned with a frown. He really wished Jimin would stop looking so upset


"So you messed up a few times, big deal," he scoffed. "We have time. And I know you've got your final exam soon, so I understand if you've been prioritising that over this. The last thing I want is for you to overwork yourself. So, relax – you're going to be fine." He sent a small smile at the younger in reassurance, because he had never really been that good at comforting people. But – he had no doubt that Jimin would be, and he wanted the younger to know that, regardless of how awkward he sounded.


"Thank you." Was all the younger replied with. And Yoongi would've teased the other, stating that a simple "thank you" was not enough to show his gratitude and that he should repay him with coffee, but the look Jimin sent his way stopped him. 


Eyes crinkled, forming crescents, and the biggest smile he'd ever seen on the younger male's face. Yoongi noticed the light red brushing his chubby cheeks, and there was that churning in his stomach again. He knew he was staring now, but he couldn't look away. No matter how much he tried to. Believe him, he tried his hardest.


He needed to stop.


"What it is? Do I have something on my face?" His attention snapped him back to reality. He looked away abruptly, aware that his face was probably burning red by now. Clearing his throat, he tried to answer as nonchalantly as he could. Keyword: tried.


"Y-yeahㅡI mean no, no, there's nothing..." Great job, Min Yoongi. God, why was he getting so flustered?


I was just caught off guard, that's all, he thought to himself. So, he could smile like that, too. 


"Oh, okay..." the younger trailed off. Probably confused about his reaction. "So, uh, do you want to go through the routine again, hyung?" He asked, rubbing his nose with his index finger, looking at him expectantly. 


"Let's call it a day. You up for coffee?" Yoongi asked, scratching the back of his neck feeling unsure because it was getting dark now; would Jimin want to feel buzzed at this time of day? Maybe he should take his offer back. 


"I don't know...it's getting quite late. I probably won't be able to sleep if I drink coffee right now," Jimin answered, looking apologetic. 


Why was he disappointed? He should've known. 


"Right. Of course, yeah, then I guess I'll see youㅡ" he started, picking up his bag from beside the leather seat. He should've known, yet. Yet what? What was he trying to say? Subsiding his thoughts, he began walking to the door, waving the younger goodbye.


"But, I am thirsty," Jimin called, halting him in his steps. Turning around, he looked at the younger, who was smiling again. "How about we go somewhere else today?" He suggested, his hands shoved into the pockets of his grey jogging bottoms. 


"What do you have in mind?" Yoongi asked, finding his lips curving upwards, tilting his head in question. 


Instead of replying, Jimin grabbed his bag from the floor and grabbed his wrist, pulling him along without so much as a thought.


Yoongi didn't say anything about the contact this time. He allowed himself to be dragged along, a faint smile on his face.





♪ ♪ ♪





"How is this any different than getting coffee?" Yoongi snorted, taking a sip of his can of beer. "You do know coke has just as much caffeine in it, right?" 


Currently, they were seated at the convenience store near the university campus. And as soon as they'd entered, the silver-haired male headed straight for the drink section, grabbing two cans of coke with a grin on his face. That is before he had grabbed one of the cans and returned it, grabbing a can of beer instead. 


"Yeah, but this is better!" The younger argued, taking a swig of his own drink. He watched as the other hummed in satisfaction at the taste, before beaming at Yoongi again. The older of the two raised his brow in amusement.


"Kinda give me mixed signals here, Jimin," he remarked with a lopsided smile, resting his head on his palm. 


"Whatever, hyung," the younger scoffed, gulping more of his drink down. This time he drank until there was no more of the liquid left, slamming the can on the table, causing Yoongi to jump in surprise. He noted the frown on the younger male's face again, and couldn't stop himself from asking because he definitely didn't seem to like seeing the other like this. Although, the reason was still a mystery to him.


"Is everything alright, Jimin?" He asked, and sat up straight, giving his full attention to the younger. Jimin looked at him, eyes slightly wide in surprise for a moment before he regained composure. Yoongi could tell that Jimin had something to say, his mouth kept opening and closing – as if contemplating whether he should voice his thoughts or not. And when he remained hesitant, he added, "Spit it out. What is it?"


"Hoseok hyung. Is he, um, alright?" The younger asked, looking back down at his drink, fidgeting with the pull-tab unconsciously. 


Oh, so that's what this had been about. Is that why Jimin hadn't been able to focus during practice? Yoongi found himself frowning, confused by the question. 


"Yeah…he's fine. He's been busy with preparing for the dance competition, so I don't see him at the apartment as much." He explained, though still baffled because surely, Jimin already knew that. They were a couple, after all.


"Ohㅡoh, right, of course. I'm so forgetful," and he laughed, though it sounded strange to Yoongi. Was Jimin really...alright? "He's just busy with practice...right?" And the look Jimin sent his way – it took everything in him not to reach for the younger's hand resting on the table. But he didn't. Because what the hell are you thinking, Min Yoongi?


What was he meant to do in this situation?


More importantly, what had Hoseok done for Jimin to look like that? What


Then, he remembered. Remembered the night Hoseok and Jin had argued. Jin asking the blonde to end things with Jimin. Hoseok asking for a month's time. 


His fingers curled into a fist under the table as he recalled the moment – how could the younger even think of doing something like that. Something soㅡso horrible. He didn't know why he hadn't just gone in and punched the younger for ever thinking of doing such a thing to Jimin. 


Hold on. 


Don't tell me, he thought with realisation. He wouldn't


He diverted his attention back to the silver-haired male. Who was staring straight at him, as if waiting for him to respond. . 


"Sorry, what were you saying?" He asked, apologetic. He hadn't realised when the other had spoken again.


"Oh, noㅡno, it's alright. I was just rambling again. Don't worry about it, hyung," he smiled, scratching the back of his head, but the smile didn't reach his eyes. Yoongi really wished he knew how to comfort the other. Seeing Jimin upset didn't seem to settle well with him. 


"Look, if you want, I can talk to Hoseok and see what's up. I'm sure he's really just been stressed about that competition, but if it'll keep you from worrying, I'll ask. Okay?" He said, sending a reassuring smile to Jimin. 


"Oh no, hyung, it's fine! I'm probably just over thinking all this. I don't know what's wrong with me. Thinking that he's avoiding me." So Hoseok was trying to distance himself from Jimin. When he could just speak to the younger. ing coward. "It was really silly of me, wasn't it? Hoseok hyung's such a good person, I don't know why I'd even thought he was avoiding mㅡI mean, of course, I understand how important the competition is to himㅡ" the younger's cheeks coloured as he stopped his own words, looking back at the older male. "I'm rambling again, aren't I?" It caused Yoongi to smile in response because even in his anger, he couldn't deny that the younger was adorable when he started rambling. 


ㅡno. No. What he meant to say wasㅡ


"But, no, really, it's fine, hyung. You don't have to ask Hoseok hyung anything. Jusㅡjust forget everything I said. It was stupid, anyway. I don't know why I keep doing this, honestly. Really, there's no need to speak to him. It's fine, I swear." Yoongi stayed mum, staring at the other and tried to check if the younger was really fine with it. He sighed, pretending to be exasperated. 


"Alright. If that's what you want, then I guess I'm in no place to argue," and he wasn't. It was their relationship, and he had no right to barge in. They could solve their problems on their own; he was well aware of that. So, he was going to keep out of it. 


"It is, hyung. Thank you," the younger smiled faintly in response, continuing to fidget with his empty drink can. 


Yoongi was yet to finish his, the drink can abandoned atop the table. Rather, he was too busy thinking of ways to rid the silence that had blanketed over them. Only because it irked him to see the silver-haired male so silent, who was more often than not, so much more talkative (even when he'd only give one or two worded answers). 


That's when he recalled that he had a new composition piece prepared. Mr. Choi had urged him to confide in Jimin – to allow him the chance to give input in the music he created for the final competition. This was his chance.


"I have something to show you," he blurted out, surprising the younger. Jimin looked at him expectantly, turning his body to face Yoongi properly. Clearing his throat, he reached for his bag and rummaged through it until he found the object he was looking for. A black, worn out iPod. Sliding it across, he added, "I made a new piece for the competition." 


"And you want me to listen to it?" He nodded, turning to starch his nose. Jimin beamed at him, reaching into his coat pocket and pulled out his headphones before plugging them in. 


"Just tell me what you think of it. If there's anything I could add to it or whatever." And now, Yoongi was the one fidgeting. Sure, Jimin had heard his music before, but that didn't stop him from feeling anxious. He wasn't one to share his music with others so easily. Heck, it had taken Namjoon and Hoseok over a year before he'd gotten comfortable enough to show them any of his work.


But he reminded himself that it was for the sake of winning the year in New York. It would be worth it, he assured himself. He was going to do whatever he could to ensure he had that chance to go to New York. He was going to make his mother proud.


"Wow, hyung, this is amazing! Even better than the other tracks we've been practicing with! Noㅡnot that the others weren't great! I mean, all your pieces are great, and I love those a lot too, butㅡ"


"Jimin, it's fine. I get it. I think this one is better than the others we used as well," he interjected, allowing the younger to breathe because god, this brat rambles a lot. "This fits your style more, right?" Jimin snapped his head up, both brows raised in surprise at Yoongi, before nodding slowly. 


With a screech, the younger stood up abruptly. It caused both Yoongi and the employee behind the till to jump. He had a massive grin plastered on his face as he looked at Yoongi.


He'd be lying if he said the expression hadn't made him feel a little scared for what was to come.


"Jimin, what'sㅡ" and he was being pulled out of his seat and tugged toward the exit before he could ask the younger what happened. 


They didn't stop running until they reached their practice room again. Yoongi was bent over, with his hands on his knees to catch his breath back. Jimin, on the other hand, still seemed to be full of everlasting energy. He was rushing to the speaker, plugging the iPod into it. 


"Seriously, what isㅡ" and yet again, he was interrupted.


"Hyung, just shut up for a few minutes, would you?" The younger commanded, causing him to raise a questioning brow at the other because who did this brat think he was? But, before he could even reprimand the other on respecting his elders, Jimin had gotten into position and waited expectantly for him. For what, he couldn't comprehend. "Press play, press play!" The younger urged.


Yoongi sighed but complied. He'd make sure to teach the younger male a lesson later, he promised himself. 


Sliding beside the speaker, he pressed the play button to find his new composition resounding through the room. Confused, he looked at Jimin, who only grinned again before he began dancing. 


Yoongi remained still as he watched the other move. Jimin swiftly moving his left arm forward, index finger pointing to him. His breath hitched when he saw the mischievous glint in the younger's brown eyes, the corner of his lips curving into a smirk. 


The smirk was quick to fade, replacing it with a blank expression, although his eyes consisted of so much fierceness that it had Yoongi entranced. He gulped, though he hoped the silver-haired male hadn't noticed it. 


A pause.


Then, he was moving quickly, his arms and legs making large gestures. Each step seemed so well thought out, he was left in awe. How had he managed to come up with such fluid movements after only one listen? The way Jimin glided from one side to the other, the way his feet stayed in their pointed form, the way his body flowed so easily to the lone piano piece; as if he had been born for this. Maybe he was. 


Seeing the younger dance live, and that too, to his music, caused butterflies to flutter inside his stomach. Made him feel a little light headed too. What was this feeling? He thought with a frown.


The music faded out, and Jimin was on the floor, breathing heavily. His knees were drawn together to his chest and his arms wrapped around them loosely. Yoongi could see the sweat glistening on his forehead as his head remained covered by his arms. He waited, gaze still set on the younger's small form, to gain his own breath back if anything.


"Wow," was all he could breathe out. The silver-haired male looked up finally, still panting as he flashed a wide grin at him and giggled. Feeling his heart skip a beat just then, he looked away, and he was sure his face was burning red yet again. God, what is this brat doing to me? 


"You liked it?" The younger asked, though he probably already knew the answer.


"Iㅡuhㅡyeah..." he trailed off. Smooth, very smooth. He knew he could say a whole lot more about the performance, but his words were stuck at the back of his throat, refusing to tell Jimin just how much he had loved it. How much he wanted to see it again. How much he wanted to tell the younger how beautiful he wasㅡ


Well, he couldn't say the last one. Of course. It'd be weird. Awkward, even. And what would Jimin think if he said it? Yoongi couldn't see that ending well. 


Why was he even thinking so much about this anyway? Erase. Erase the thought now.


"You think we can use this for the competition?" Jimin asked, his tone hopeful yet anxious (if the fidgeting was anything to go by). 


"Yeah," he replied, nodding slowly. Because those were the only two things he could do after watching Jimin dance.  


"Is that the only word you can say or something? Because I did not just do all this to have you reply with "yeah...". Don't I deserve a little more praise than that, hyung?" And now he was pouting ridiculously again.


Yoongi snorted, rolling his eyes at the younger's antics. It's not like it would affect him. It was irritating if anything.


That didn't stop Jimin from jutting out his lower lip even more if that was even possible. He realised that the younger was not going to stop until he got what he wanted. So, sighing with exasperation, he gave in.


"Fine! You were ing amazing, okay? Happy?" He exclaimed, red painting over his cheeks as he looked away in embarrassment. Why did he always end up giving in


"Thanks, hyung! ㅡ See? Now, was that so hard?" He really wanted to wipe the smug smile off his face. 


"Whatever, brat. And we should probably start leaving now. I have other things to do. And you probably have too, what with your finals in a few weeks," and he got up from the floor, slinging the bag onto his shoulder. Jimin rushed to the speaker and detached the iPod before handing it back to him, grabbing his own bag right after. 


They walked side by side as they exited the practice room again, making their way out of the campus. 


"You know, hyung – I think you should consider going to the gym with Jungkook again." The younger started, leaning his head forward to look at him. 

 

The older male raised an eyebrow because what? Why would he want to go through that torture again? All he had felt was the second-hand embarrassment. That boy jumped every girl he saw entering. Never again.


"I'm just saying – you were panting way too heavily for someone who has such a good body." He glared at the younger in

 

"Say one more word about this and you're not going to live to say another after that," he warned, smiling widely.

 

"Oh, come on, hyung. I doubt you have the guts to actually do it." Jimin rolled his eyes, chuckling.

 

"Yeah – well – guess again," he remarked with a smirk, cracking his knuckles and rolling his sleeves up. Before he could turn to the younger, he was already halfway across the road from him.


"See you next week, hyung!" He waved without looking back.

 

That's the fastest I've seen him run, he thought whilst chuckling, before he continued walking in the direction of his own

 

Before he headed to sleep, a vibration in his pants halted him. Pulling his phone out, he sat up and unlocked it to see he had messages from Jimin.

 

He released a breath of laughter as he read the contents.

 




the dancer brat:

thanks for cheering me up, hyung

even tho u didnt hav to aofwidwpdecj

and

i still think going to gym is a good option!! 

im only worried about your health, really! 

it doesn't even have to be with kookie, i cn go with u if u want \(☆o☆)/

doesnt that sound like fun?? :DDD

anyways, im going to sleep now so goodnight!!

dont sleep too laaaaate

 




Shaking his head at the last few messages, he quickly typed in a reply and placed the device on the bedside table, facing down. 

 

Snuggling under the covers, he felt slumber take over him faster than it usually did. Not that he was complaining.

 




me:

gym and fun are two words that dont go well together so no thanks

goodnight brat

 


 

a/n: really, really sorry i keep updating so late. it's just been quite stressful bc of uni assignments among other things;;; thank you to everyone that's still following this, it means a lot <3 i hope you enjoyed this chapter and see you on the next (probably late) update!