Dream Pt. III - Final

MiMo-centric
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Darkness became her friend. The only thing she confided in.

How long has it been? Days? Weeks? Months? Doesn’t matter. Nothing matters anymore.

The knocking on the door turns to pounding, but she didn’t bother to answer. Probably just Jungyeon. The pounding ceased and the door creaks as it opens.

Jungyeon heads straight to the window, making Mina squint from the sudden burst of light through her now-opened curtains.

“How long has it been since you’ve seen light? I’d understand if you sparkle under the sun, but other than that, you have no excuse. And you didn’t even lock your door…”

“Leave me alone.”

“That’s the problem, we’ve left you alone for too long.”

Jungyeon walks to the couch and pushes Mina’s legs off, making space for herself.

“You really need to pull yourself together. Come on Mina, it’s been 3 months already. It’s time you move on with your life.”

“Move on from what? That’s bull. How can I move on when I don’t even know what exactly happened? Just poof—and she was gone. How could she just come and go from my life as she pleases? And she had the nerve to tell me to be happy and always smile,” Mina chokes, anger turning into sorrow.

Jungyeon kept mum as Mina release all that pent-up frustrations.

"Then what about us?" she finally spoke, "The friends that care about you? Don’t waste Momo’s effort that brought us all back together.”

Mina listens but doesn’t reply.

“I still don’t understand what happened, Jungyeon ah. Is Momo some sort of supernatural being? I can’t think of any other explanation besides that.”

“Well, if she is then that explains why I can’t find any information about her.”

Jungyeon’s nonchalant expression surprised Mina.

“Aren’t you afraid after knowing that?”

“What is there to be afraid of? There are wonders in this world, and not like a fluffball like Momo was hurting anyone. If anything, I think we all owe her for bringing you out of your shell again.” She pokes a finger at Mina’s forehead, “So like I said, don’t waste her effort.”

The younger girl only nods.

“Well, I came as a messenger to tell you that tomorrow is our monthly meet up, so you better not ditch again. The girls really miss you… and we all miss Momo too.” Jungyeon pushes herself off the couch and heads to the door with Mina following suit.

“Why did she come to me?”

Turning back to face Mina, Jungyeon shrugs, “Maybe she knew how much of a wreck you were and came to change that. Maybe it’s her mission or something and she had to leave afterward. I don’t know, Mina, I really don’t. But what I do know is that Momo wouldn’t want to see you go back into seclusion. So if not for us, then do it for Momo.”

***

Mina buries her face into the palms of her hands, memories of Momo floods her mind as she sits in front of a plate of fried rice.

“How do I get over something like this? No explanation, no closure, no anything.”

She pushes the plate aside, her appetite already long gone. Her eyes roam the empty house, and like a montage, she sees Momo smash her face into the plate of fried rice on the table. She watches Momo sit in front of the TV, conversing with the characters on the screen. She sees her annoyed expression when Momo lie on top of her on the sofa. She walks into her room and sees Momo’s smiling face, patting the bed to tell her to come lie down and sleep together.

Everything that used to bother her before has now become memories. Memories of a girl that came like the wind and now gone with the wind.

Mina lies down, her face pressed against the pillow. She closes her eyes, hoping that if she imagines hard enough, Momo would be looking back at her when she opens them. But she doesn’t. Mina keeps her eyes closed, knowing that she would only be greeted by emptiness. Her mind traces back to their last moments, remembering the way Momo soothed her tears as she watched in horror at Momo’s disappearing form.

Her furrowed brows loosen as she snaps her eyes open, mind replaying that scene over and over again. She watches the movement of Momo’s lips—slowly and silently mouthing, “You don’t need me anymore.”

The gears start spinning as Jungyeon’s voice echoes in her head, “Maybe it’s her mission or something and she had to leave afterward.”

Mission.

Mission.

“Mission,” she whispers.

And then it clicks. Mina scrambles out the door at top speed, dialing her phone as she runs.

“Jihyo! Where’s that vintage store we went to that one time?”

“Huh? What are you talking about?”

“You know, that store you went into to look for old records.”

“Uhm I don’t really remember. What’s going on, why do you sound like you’re in such a hurry?”

“Because I am! I’m heading to the mall right now, but I don’t remember which way we took to get to that place. Please try to remember.”

“Hold on, I’ll head over too. Better to retrace our steps than to guess.”

***

Mina was desperate. She couldn’t wait for Jihyo and was already weaving through corners and alleys, hoping to spot that hole-in-the-wall vintage store. She pauses mid-step, looking left and right, clearly having no idea where she’s at anymore.

“Mina!”

Mina whips

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter