Dream Pt. I

MiMo-centric
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Inspired by a quote from Nanny McPhee.

****************************

“Why are we here?” Mina asks as she runs her fingers through the antiques lining the shelf.

“I want to look for some records,” Jihyo replied, probably burying her head into some record bin at the back of the store.

“Tss then we should have gone to a record store, not a vintage store,” Mina says while picking up a compass that stopped pointing North.

“Where’s the fun in that?!” Jihyo’s distant voice sounds.

Mina looks to the lone window that’s illuminating the shop, watching the dust particles dance in the sunlight, “I prefer practicality over fun,” she sighs. Placing the compass back, she makes her way to Jihyo when something shiny blinds her. Reflecting off the sunlight was a lamp that looks like the one from Aladdin. Mina picks it up and scoffs, “Are you going grant me three wishes? Knockoff.” In the midst of placing it back, the scribbles along the side of the handle caught her eyes—Needed but not wanted; I’ll stay. Wanted but no longer needed; I’ll leave.

“That’s why you’re no fun,” Jihyo’s face rose from the other side of the shelf.

“You scared me!” Mina yelled, mind totally off of the lamp she put down.

“Yeah yeah, let’s go shopping now!” Jihyo links her arm with Mina’s.

“That’s what we were supposed to do in the first place,” Mina voiced while being dragged out of the shop, completely oblivious to the glowing red dot that followed her out of the store.

***

Swinging the shopping bag back and forth, Mina trudges her way to the porch of her vacant house. Stepping in from the front door, gone was the gentle spring breeze, only to be replaced by the overpowering smell of paint. Mina walks to her room, dumping the shopping bag onto the floor and bounce toward the comfort of her bed. Ignoring her stomach’s complaints, she chose to sleep instead, hoping to dream of rainbows and unicorns—anything to get her away from reality.

A loud shattering sound startled Mina awake, her head spinning from the unexpected wake up call. Her eyes widen in horror when she realized she was home alone. She searches for her phone and dials Jungyeon’s number, praying that the older girl would pick up quickly.

Three rings in, Mina finally breathes as the line connects. “Jungyeon ah, I think there’s a robber in my house. Come quickly please,” she whispers.

Hang up, Mina reaches for the wooden sword she knew would come in handy one day. She tiptoes to the door, turning the knob and slowly made her way to the living room. It was quiet once again. Maybe it was just a stray cat that found its way inside, she thought. Mina pokes her head past the wall, she did a quick scan around the room and found the shattered fishbowl on the floor. She relaxed, thinking that maybe it was a stray cat like she thought.

Walking to the supply closet for the broom, Mina froze in place when her eyes zeroed in on the girl standing against the corner of the wall, stripped . Brown hair grazed her bare shoulders, body reminding Mina of a Greek Goddess she learned about in class—Aphro something. The girl’s eyes locked with hers, flustering Mina as she brings the wooden sword up again.

“W-Who are you?” Mina asks, trying hard to keep her eyes on the girl’s face and not her body.

No response.

“W-What are you doing in my house?”

No response. The girl just stood there, looking just as confused as Mina.

“I already called the police so you might as well speak now, maybe then I’ll lower the charges.”

“What is the police?” The girl spoke, her voice much softer than Mina expected.

“I don’t think you’re in any position to joke around right now,” Mina said, clearly frustrated. This girl has the audacity to break into her house and try to act her way out of the consequences. Though taking a second look at the girl, Mina couldn’t sense any hostility and she legit looks lost. Her mind immediately tried mapping out the closest mental institution—her second-best guess. Before zoning out any further, Mina noticed a small puddle of blood forming near the girl’s feet.

“Oh my god, you’re bleeding,” Mina gasps while pointing at the girl’s leg.

Said girl just looks at Mina with a blank expression, “What is bleeding?”

“Are yo—are you serious?” Mina deadpans, “You are either the dumbest or smartest robber ever. And why are you ?” she blushes while saying the last part.

“What is ?”

“Never mind.” Mina’s eyes dart back to the cut on the girl’s leg—she winces just looking at it. “I’m probably the dumbest person for doing this but let’s get that wound treated while Jungyeon comes.”

Mina walks to the other girl, sword still in hand, and carefully leads her past the mess on the floor and to the couch.

“Sit here,” Mina instructs. She makes her way to the medicine cabinet while mumbling to herself, “I’m so going to regret this.” While rummaging to find the gauze and ointment, the hair on the back of her neck stood up when she felt a presence behind her. Turning around, she found Ms. standing there.

“Wha—Why did you follow me? I told you to sit on the couch, didn’t I?”

“I go wherever you go.”

Mina blames the anger for painting red hues on her cheeks. She leads Ms. back to the couch and settles herself on the floor to tend to the cut.

“How did you get in here? Was the door not locked?” Mina eyes the girl cautiously before dabbing gently at the blood.

“I opened my eyes and I was h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter