Part 4

Friend for Hire

A/N: A very long chapter ahead.

 

---

 

Tiffany once believed in love. She was that little girl who dreamt of having a Prince Charming sweeping her off her feet and they would live happily ever after. She thought her first love in high school would be the guy she'd see until they get married, but they had to break up because she had to move to another country and they weren't sure if they could continue the relationship with a thousand miles between them.

 

Then came her second love, and third and so on, when she was still a college student. She had always given her all for all her relationships but they didn't seem to last. It was either they were trying to get into her pants, or she realized that they weren't compatible.

 

She's someone who needed a lot of attention and most guys couldn't stand her clinginess. Then she found the perfect guy for her. Or so she had thought.

 

His name's Jimin. He's tall, suave, and everything a girl could ask for. He was a new transfer student and Tiffany, being the student leader, was in charge of showing him around school and helping him should he need any assistance. Tiffany thought that it was straight out of a romance novel; how they had progressed and how he had asked her to be his girlfriend.

 

They were the perfect couple in people's eyes. He was attentive to her and always gave in to her. They were everywhere in the campus, be it studying together or that Jimin would walk Tiffany to her class and fetch her to and fro work using his motorbike.

 

She knew that Jimin had this bad boy persona that attracted her but she thought that it was just the surface. He was actually intelligent and very caring towards people he knew. People were jealous of them; Tiffany had Jimin and vice versa.

 

It was slightly more than a year into their relationship that Tiffany found something amiss. She started paying for their meals and even for Jimin's motorbike maintenance and petrol fee frequently. At first she thought that he was just having some problems back at home so she gladly helped as much as she could. She didn't want to hurt Jimin's ego by bringing his sensitive topic up.

 

It wasn't until her best friend, Yuri, showed her a video of him having his arm around another girl that Tiffany realized she had been cheated on. She tried to console herself that maybe the girl was just his sister or cousin. Having his hand around another girl did not mean anything romantic. Then came the huge blow. They shared a kiss before heading into a hotel.

 

Tiffany had no idea who filmed the video or how Yuri had gotten it. She cried as Yuri hugged her, heartbroken at the fact that Jimin had been leeching off her so that he could pamper the other girl with what he had.

 

She gave him her all. She wasn't upset with the monetary loss but the fact that she was stupid enough to give in when he wanted to take things into another level. She thought he was the one, she thought she had finally found her Prince Charming.

 

It turned out that Jimin transferred from his previous school because of his bad conduct. He had cheated on multiple girls so he had to leave. And Tiffany was his first victim in the new school. The girl he was with was apparently from a dance club he had joined in his leisure time.

 

She broke it off with him the next day and he tried to apologize and to persuade her that it was just a one-time thing. The person he loved was still Tiffany. But she had enough of it and his excuses. Eventually he let go of her and instead of feeling glad, Tiffany felt sad. If only he had really changed his ways, and if only he was not who he used to be, they could've been a really happy couple. They complement each other so well and Tiffany thought that it was rare.

 

After the heartbreak, Tiffany chose to focus on her studies and part-time job. She kept a distance from guys who were interested in her, not because she swore not to believe in men anymore, but because she didn't find the need to get a boyfriend. She realized that she could be carefree and independent. Looking at how her friends and classmates went through heartbreak one by one, she was glad she made the decision to stay single. Although she did feel lonely at times, it was better than getting her heart broken.

 

And after graduation, she continued being on her own. Her family and friends did bug her to get attached because she wasn't getting any younger. But being stubborn, she ignored their concern and advice. Being in the Marketing and Public Relations field, she had the opportunity to attend events and social parties of different size and industry. That was how she met people from different walks of life and it was also her way of interacting with people. She's a social butterfly and she knew there were people who were into her, but she mostly turned them down politely.

 

There was a man named Lee Dongwook who climbed through the walls she built around her. He was her colleague and treated her really well. She thought that after so many years, maybe it was time for her to fall in love again so she ignored her logic and went with her heart. They started dating and Dongwook was nothing but sweet to Tiffany. She even brought him to see her parents and they loved him. She thought that the next logical step was for them to get married and settle down but she was wrong.

 

Whenever she brought up marriage, he would find ways to avoid or to change the topic. At first she thought that he wasn't ready for it yet, or that he was planning a surprise for her. The little girl whose dream was to have a Prince Charming sweep her off her feet was still living inside Tiffany. The little girl had been awakened and she was anticipating the day where Dongwook would propose to her. She waited and waited but the day never came.

 

She tried dropping hints but it was either Dongwook was too dense or he was pretending not to know. One day, she confronted him and he finally confessed that he had commitment issues. They tried working things out but eventually they parted ways because they obviously wanted different things. It wasn't a painful breakup since they both knew there was no way they could still see each other. And Tiffany was tired of being in a relationship. It was too time and energy consuming, especially when the relationship did not work out.

 

Then came the app called 'Friend for Hire' which was introduced to Tiffany by her colleague. She found joy in getting to know more people through it and she was surprised that in a short span of time, she had people requesting for her to be their friend for events or gatherings. Everything was platonic and she always made it clear to people that she's here solely to get to know more people and to help those who're socially awkward.

 

But things changed when she met the girl named Kim Taeyeon.

 

---

 

Her phone vibrated as she was on her way to the meeting room and she glanced at the screen to see a new notification from 'Friend for Hire'. She deleted the notification and made a mental note to check out the request after the meeting.

 

After the meeting, she forgot about it and it wasn't until she got another notification that she remembered she had yet to accept or reject the first request. She immediately browsed through the profile and she was surprised to find a really adorable-looking girl's picture as the profile picture.

 

"Kim Taeyeon," she muttered and accepted the request.

 

'Hi Taeyeon! Sorry it took me so long to accept your request. I was swamped with work. /:'

 

Within a minute or two, the reply came.

 

'Hi Tiffany! No worries. Thank you for accepting my request.'

 

'No problem. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but are you new to this?'

 

The profile looked new and there wasn't any past requests or reviews. Tiffany had to make sure that this person is really the person seen on the profile picture. She had yet to meet someone who's out to take advantage of her or a scam, but it's better to be safe than sorry, no?

 

'Sorry, I am being awkward huh? And yes, I am new to this.'

 

She chuckled at the reply. Once you say that you're awkward, it immediately makes everything even more awkward. She didn't quite know what else to reply so she asked a few questions about the request.

 

'Your profile looks really bare and new. But don't worry! You can slowly update while you tell me more about your requirements and what kind of event it is, the one where you'd need my help? (:'

 

'Well, I'm kind of looking for someone to attend my brother's wedding with... if I don't succeed my mother will be the one to find me a date.'

 

A small smile appeared on her face at the reply. Strangely she could visualize a girl pouting as she typed.

 

'So this is more like your last resort?'

 

'Second last, actually. I've been trying to get attached for the past year but to no avail. So I can only count on sites like this.'

 

Now this Taeyeon girl had definitely gotten her attention successfully. Why would she even say things like that? And she just indirectly came out as someone who's into girls, or at least into both. But it's too soon to judge.

 

'Hahaha! Don't worry about that. Do you mind if we were to chat a little more, get to know each other a bit before we proceed further? (:'

 

'Sure! I mean, yeah, that's only right. ^^'

 

'Alright. So tell me more about yourself, Taeyeon.'

 

'My name is Taeyeon, born in Jeonju and I am 25 years old. I work as a boring administrative executive and I love staying at home.'

 

Honest was the first word that popped up in Tiffany's head when she saw the reply. This Taeyeon girl probably isn't really that good with conversations. Either that or it'd take some time for her to warm up to a stranger. The replies are kind of difficult to keep the conversation going.

 

'You're a homebody huh? Well, I am Tiffany, born and raised in California before moving to Korea in my teens. I'm also 25 years old. I'm working in the marketing and PR field, and I love being outdoors.'

 

'Ah, that's cool. How long have you been doing this? Like being someone's friend for an event or a party. Why did you decide do this in the first place?'

 

'I've been a member since a year and a half ago? The reason for this is because I do have a few friends around me who're really shy and introvert. At times they really want to make friends but couldn't take the first step. I thought that by doing this I might be able to help people alike. People like you, Taeyeon.'

 

It was actually half true and half a lie. At times she couldn't stand being alone so she chose to hang out with friends to accept as many requests as she could. But she genuinely wanted to help those people who needed a partner for whatever event they needed to attend. She knew how boring it could be, and to ensure that she could click well with someone, she'd always have a chat with them before the real event or party. That way, there wouldn't be any awkward moments between them and it's easier for Tiffany to do her job.

 

'Oh. That's... very cool and admirable of you, Tiffany. ^^ I have to go to a meeting now so can I talk to you later?'

 

'Sure, I shall not hold you up any further. I'll talk to you soon! (:'

 

She went back to Taeyeon's profile to look at the picture again. Kim Taeyeon. Strangely, I can't wait to see how you are in person. Probably adorable, Tiffany thought as she smiled to herself, pocketing her phone. It's been some time since she last met someone this adorably blunt and she's looking forward to meeting Taeyeon.

 

---

 

"I don't get why you have to buy a new dress whenever you have a new request," commented Yuri as she stood beside Tiffany who's going through the rack of dresses.

 

"Shush. I don't do this every time, you're just exaggerating," she replied as she took out a pink dress. "What do you think of this? Is this suitable for a wedding?"

 

Yuri glanced at the dress in Tiffany's hand before chuckling. "You know you'd look good in anything, Fany. You don't even need my acknowledgement but anyway, yes, it is suitable for a wedding and it looks nice because it's pink. And it's your favorite color."

 

Tiffany ignored the sarcasm in Yuri's tone. "I think so too. I think I have heels for this and a bag so I'll only need to get this dress. Let me try this out."

 

Yuri shook her head as Tiffany stepped into the changing room. The reason why her friend was diligently accepting requests was beyond her. At first she thought that Tiffany was trying to look for a suitable partner through the app but after slightly more than a year, she threw that thought out the window. She had long given up on trying to get Tiffany back out there. She had wondered if it was all about her failed relationships or that she's just too busy. Whatever it was, she hoped that her friend could find someone to be in a serious relationship with.

 

Tiffany stepped out of the changing room and turned her body left and right to see if the dress fitted her well. She turned her head to see Yuri giving her a thumbs up. She smiled, happy that she had found the dress for the wedding this Saturday. As she was changing out of the dress, her phone beeped, indicating a message received through 'Friend for Hire'.

 

'Hey Tiffany, just to remind you that the ceremony is this coming Saturday. I'll fetch you at the location we've agreed upon at about 4.'

 

'Hey Taeyeon! Thanks for the sweet reminder. I've already chosen my outfit and everything. Looking forward to seeing the real you on Saturday! (;'

 

'Great! I'm looking forward too! ^^ Thanks for agreeing to do this, by the way. I know how weird it is to go to a wedding ceremony with another girl.'

 

'Oh, don't worry about it Taeyeon! You're not the first female client I've had. (; Rest assured that I'll behave well and not let you feel embarrassed at all, okay? Trust me.'

 

It was true. Taeyeon wasn't the first female who approached her on the app. She had people from all walks of life asking her to help out and she'd gladly do so if she could and if she had the time.

 

'I'll leave it to you then. > < Thank you once again!'

 

She placed her phone back in her bag and stepped out of the changing room with the dress in her hand.

 

"Yah, what took you so long to change out of the dress? It didn't take you that long to change into it," complained Yuri.

 

Tiffany smiled apologetically as they made their way towards the cashier. "I'm sorry. A text came in and I was replying to it. I'll treat you to dinner, how's that?"

 

"That's more like it." Yuri laughed. "Do you need a ride to the venue on Saturday?"

 

"Nah, it's okay. She's gonna fetch me from the station near our neighborhood."

 

Although Tiffany had the money to get a car and she's got a driver's license, she preferred taking the public transport. Not because she's lazy but because she's afraid that she might be a road hazzard. Therefore at times, Yuri would be a great friend and drive her to where she needed to be. They live in the same neighborhood anyway.

 

Tiffany's very thankful for the existence of Yuri in her life. She was the friend in college who showed her the video clip of her ex-boyfriend. If not for her, Tiffany would still be that gullible girl, doing everything for a jerk who was using her from the start. She had thought of asking Yuri why she did that or how she had found the video, but thought better of it. It's all pointless now, and she would rather look ahead and continue with her life as it is.

 

---

 

Tiffany woke up early on the Saturday and she did her usual routine, consisting of going out for a jog around the neighborhood with Yuri, then having brunch at their favorite cafe across Tiffany's apartment. She then got home to shower, slowly preparing for the brother's wedding she had to attend with Taeyeon. Since she already had in mind what she wanted to wear, it took her less than an hour to get ready.

 

She checked the time on the clock hanging on the wall and noticed she had some time time before the meeting time with Taeyeon. Thinking that she could browse a few shops near the meeting place instead of sitting around doing nothing, she got out of her apartment and walked to the shops around the subway station to pass time.

 

Twenty minutes to the meeting time, she stepped out of the accessories shop she was window shopping in and walked towards the drop-off zone. She looked at the car plate number Taeyeon sent her the day before and kept a lookout for a white car. Her eyes settled on the car she was told to look for and double checked the time, thinking that she was late. But it was eight minutes before the agreed time. She's early, she thought to herself. She wouldn't say it was rare but she had her fair share of the other party being late and having bad time management.

 

She walked towards the car and opened the door at the passenger seat, effectively startling Taeyeon. She noticed how she jumped a little and the blonde was staring at her with agape. She took in how Taeyeon looked and was surprised that she looked even more kid-like in person.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I startle you?" Tiffany spoke, a smile played on her lips as she took in Taeyeon's expression.

 

"H-hey. Don't worry about it. Hop on!"

 

Tiffany got into the car and put on the seat belt. She turned her head towards Taeyeon and smiled, her eyes turning into crescents. "Hi Taeyeon," she greeted.

 

"H-hi," she replied shyly and turned to look at Tiffany, but breaking the eye contact the moment their eyes met.

 

She chuckled at Taeyeon being so adorably shy. "Don't be that shy. Come on, you should be comfortable talking to me already. We've been chatting non-stop for the past week."

 

"Yeah, you're right. It's nice to finally meet you in person, Tiffany. And you look great, by the way."

 

"I could say the same to you. You're not bad yourself." She smiled as she took in the baby blue dress Taeyeon wore and the way her hair cascaded down her shoulders. The blonde hair really suits her. And who would've thought that we'd wear matching colors without communicating? "I like your blue dress."

 

"Thanks."

 

Taeyeon started driving and they started conversing, getting to know each other a little more than what they've already known. It was comfortable talking to Taeyeon although she's a little quiet and her replies were mostly short. But she appreciated the effort the blonde put in when the latter tried asking a question or two. At least Tiffany didn't feel like Taeyeon wasn't interested in having a conversation with her. A small smile appeared on her face the moment she noticed Taeyeon starting to relax a little and her replies became longer. She took it as a sign that Taeyeon had started to get comfortable around her and her job was halfway done. As long as her client's comfortable with her around, it's easier for her to mingle around.

 

---

 

When they reached the venue, Tiffany automatically held onto Taeyeon's arm in a friendly manner - like how good friends would - to make it seem that they're close and she wasn't some random stranger Taeyeon picked up from the road.

 

She smiled to those in the venue and greeted those people politely when Taeyeon introduced her as a friend. She noticed that all eyes were on them but shrugged it off. It wasn't the first time she got stared at like as if she didn't belong there.

 

The ceremony began and Tiffany paid attention to every little details of it. If things were to work out with Dongwook, she would've also had the chance to stand at the altar and recite her vows. She wasn't looking forward to getting married anymore, but she couldn't deny the fact that she still hoped for it to happen.

 

When the couple said their vows and exchanged rings, Tiffany could feel her eyes brimmed with tears. It was so beautiful. She always found it amusing when two people met one another out of chance or coincidence, and then they started going out and eventually decided to seal it off with a marriage. Like, how did they manage to find each other? How did they know he or she's the one? What made them decide to take a step further?

 

Taeyeon held her hand gently and pulled her towards the buffet line to have their dinner.

 

"Here. I went to the food tasting session with my brother so I know what's nice. This shrimp is good," Taeyeon said as she scooped the said dish onto the plate she was holding onto.

 

The blonde started moving down the line, taking the dishes she felt was nice and put it on their plates respectively, and the brunette followed behind her diligently. She patiently told Tiffany about the spread and always made it a point to ask the brunette if she wanted this or that. To Tiffany, that was a plus-point. It felt good to be taken care of and she couldn't help but blush a little at Taeyeon's gentleness.

 

They ate and had small talks here and there, enjoying themselves before Taeyeon's brother came over. Both of them stood up to congratulate the newlywed.

 

"Hey Tae," Taeyeon's brother greeted as his eyes flickered from Taeyeon to Tiffany. "Enjoying yourselves so far?"

 

"Oppa," Taeyeon called out to her brother before engulfing her sister-in-law in a hug. "Unnie, welcome to the family."

 

"Thank you, Taeyeon-ah. Who's this pretty girl?" She asked the moment they let go of each other.

 

Tiffany politely bowed. "Hello Oppa, Unnie, my name is Tiffany and I am Taeyeon's friend."

 

"I didn't know you have such a good looking friend." Jiwoong's comment made Tiffany blush. Is it a norm for their family to be this straightforward?

 

"Oppa!" She whined. "Don't embarrass me."

 

Tiffany chuckled at the cute sight and squeezed Taeyeon's hand lightly; a gesture to tell her it's okay. "It's alright, Taeyeon. Congratulations, by the way. It's a really sweet and heartwarming wedding."

 

"Alright. I'll have to go around thanking people for coming. You two enjoy yourselves alright? If it's too boring I give you the permission to get out of this place." He winked.

 

"Thanks." Taeyeon gave Jiwoong's arm a light punch.

 

"It's great seeing you, Tiffany. Come over to visit whenever, okay? Sorry we couldn't talk to you longer." Jiwoong's wife apologized as she squeezed Tiffany's arm lightly.

 

"That's okay. It's your big day, so I understand how busy you guys are." Tiffany smiled. "If there's a chance in future I'll be sure to visit you."

 

She meant it when she said that though. She really didn't mind visiting the family again because they made her feel so welcomed. And she really wouldn't mind meeting Taeyeon again. It seemed like there's so much more in her that she has yet to find out.

 

"We shall look forward to that then, Tiffany. It's been a pleasure to meet you. My sister can be a handful at times so please be patient with her."

 

"Oppa!" Taeyeon hissed. "Just go thank your guests already."

 

Tiffany looked at him with a confused look on her face as Jiwoong laughed and held his wife's hand, walking to the next table. Taeyeon gestured for Tiffany to take a seat and before she sat down beside her.

 

"Sorry about that. My brother can be a little annoying at times," she apologized. "He must be too happy."

 

"He didn't say or do anything out of line so don't worry." Tiffany assured with a smile. Although his words piqued my interest. So you're a handful, huh? In what sense though?

 

---

 

"Hey, shall we head back?" Taeyeon asked when she noticed Tiffany yawning stealthily.

 

"I'm sorry," she apologized at her rudeness and grinned sheepishly.

 

Taeyeon brought her towards her family to bid them goodbye. Tiffany could sense that Mama Kim was reluctant to let Taeyeon leave. She wanted to tell Taeyeon that they could stay for a little while more but the blonde already told her mother that she'd need to bring her back.

 

"Make sure to come back home like you've promised," Mama Kim paused and looked at Tiffany before continuing, "And bring Tiffany along with you. I haven't got the chance to get to know her better."

 

So it does run in the family, Tiffany thought as a small smile played on her lips. They probably thought we're seeing each other. I wonder what their reactions would be if I were to say Taeyeon 'hired' me.

 

"I- I'll try my best to come home as frequently as I can, Umma," Taeyeon answered.

 

Tiffany did not miss the slight blush on Taeyeon's cheek as she smiled and bowed politely before leaving with Taeyeon, walking alongside her.

 

The ride back to her place was quiet save for the music playing over the radio. Tiffany had thoughts running through her head and honestly she was a little tired. She thought back on the subtle hints Taeyeon's family gave her and she didn't know if she should set things straight with Taeyeon tonight. She had an inkling that Taeyeon was someone who's into girls but she didn't want to offend the girl should it be wrong.

 

I don't do relationship and I don't feel that way towards girls... should I be truthful to her? But what if I got it wrong and her family is just glad that Taeyeon had found a new friend? It would be so embarrassing.

 

"Thank you for accompanying me to my brother's wedding," Taeyeon said as she pulled over before pulling up the handbrake.

 

The gentle tone pulled her out of her trance and she looked around to find herself back at the drop-off zone of the station Taeyeon picked her up from. "Not a problem, Taeyeon. I had fun. You have a really nice family," Tiffany commented and smiled.

 

"You must be really tired. Sorry to keep you out longer than expected. How do I make payment? Do I give you cash or bank transfer? I think I have cash..." she trailed off and was about to reach to the back to grab her purse when Tiffany's hand stopped her.

 

"It's okay. Since it's the start of the year and you're the first client, no payment is required." Tiffany's smile widened at the drastic change of Taeyeon's expression. She looks kinda cute with that round eyes of hers.

 

"B-but... at least let me pay a little? I mean, I took up almost one day of your time. On a weekend, no less."

 

"You made my day. So don't worry about it." Tiffany patted Taeyeon's hand lightly before withdrawing her hand, suddenly remembered about what she had thought of before the car came to a stop. "I had a good time, Taeyeon. I'll see you around then? Drive safely and have a good night."

 

Her hand was on the handle, ready to open the door when Taeyeon called out.

 

"T-Tiffany!"

 

Tiffany held onto the handle and turned around to face Taeyeon with a raised brow. "Yes?"

 

"Can I- can I get your number? I had a really good time today with you and thought that since we kinda click so I'd like to be your friend. For real. You know, like hanging out and all as real friends instead of this pretense. If you're comfortable, that is."

 

She had an amused smile on her face and before she could reply, Taeyeon continued.

 

"I'm sorry. I'm really bad at this. Never mind. Forget I ever asked. Have a good night, Tiffany."

 

She burst out laughing at the monologue and cute sight infront of her, and whatever she had thought of previously, she threw it out the window.

 

"Oh, Taeyeon, why are you so cute?!" Tiffany chuckled. "You're so new to the app and I feel so bad for not letting you know."

 

"Know what?" The blonde frowned.

 

"Right after I accepted your request, you can actually see my contact details through my profile and I can see yours."

 

"I was at your profile countless times but I didn't-" Taeyeon clasped a hand over immediately, "-I mean, maybe I missed it. Then does this mean that I can be your friend?"

 

Tiffany heard her loud and clear. So you've been visiting my profile, huh? "Of course." Tiffany extended her hand out for a handshake. "Glad to meet a new friend today."

 

Taeyeon shook Tiffany's hand lightly. "Thank you, friend. You should probably head in. It's getting late."

 

"Alright, see you soon Taeyeon!" Tiffany opened the door and got out. She leaned down and waved a little before closing the door. Maybe I am just overthinking things. Taeyeon is very shy in nature so even if she were to blush it could be because of that and not what I had thought.

 

---

 

After Jiwoong's wedding, Taeyeon and Tiffany had been chatting through the messaging app and they would at times meet up for a meal or to catch the latest blockbuster. She had been talking to Taeyeon a lot more compared to the other friends and the duo wouldn't let a day go without any text or calls. Tiffany could detect the difference because most of the time it was Taeyeon who started the conversation. Who knew she'd be such a dork? Whenever they texted, Tiffany would have a small smile on her face due to Taeyeon's cute antics.

 

And of course the way Tiffany hogged onto her phone did not go unnoticed by her best friend. Yuri glanced at Tiffany's phone screen before smirking, "I see you're still talking to Taeyeon."

 

Tiffany finished the sentence she was typing and looked up from her phone to see Yuri's smirk. "Yeah, and?" She asked, not knowing where Yuri was planning to go with this.

 

That annoying smirk was still on Yuri's face. "Nothing, just commenting."

 

Tiffany put her phone away and turned to face Yuri, with her arms crossed. "You're definitely going somewhere with this. What are you trying to imply here?"

 

Yuri shrugged, wiping the smirk off her face. "I am not trying to imply anything. Is there anything going on between the two of you that made you so sensitive?"

 

Tiffany frowned at the insinuation. "No?"

 

"Look, maybe you don't see it yet but have you- do you like Taeyeon?"

 

Tiffany looked at Yuri's face to spot any trace of playfulness but her friend was dead serious. She swallowed and brought her knees to her chest. "What made you think so?" She asked. It's been a very long time since she used the word 'like' or 'love'. Do I like Taeyeon? I do like talking to her but not to the extent of being romantically involved with her.

 

"I don't know. I kind of saw the old you- you know, when you were still with your exes. And the way you smiled when you're on your phone, it's very questionable."

 

"I do admit I click really well with her but that's just that," she answered truthfully. She thought back on the times she had a crush or a boyfriend and it was definitely different. She didn't feel the flutter or the anticipation.

 

"And Taeyeon? Does she like you?"

 

"How would I know?" Tiffany chuckled. "Yuri-ah, what's with the questions?"

 

"I don't know, I just feel that... maybe I'm overthinking but it feels like Taeyeon might be... interested in you in that way," Yuri answered carefully.

 

She had met the blonde once or twice and maybe because she's not involved, she could clearly see how Taeyeon's eyes sparkled when her orbs landed on Tiffany. Not to mention the sweet and caring gestures... there was definitely something going on. She didn't want to ruin the friendship between Taeyeon and Tiffany should she be wrong but it's better to save Taeyeon from the heartbreak, right? After all, she wasn't sure if her friend could return her feelings.

 

Tiffany hummed, tilting her head to a side and thought about the times she went out with Taeyeon. Since their first meeting Taeyeon had been nothing but gentle and caring, and because of that she didn't find anything out of norm. Is it because I'm too used to her being like that, I've overlooked how she might really feel? Or have I become really dense?

 

"Thanks for the heads up, Yuri. I'll try to assess if she really does feel something for me."

 

"If she really likes you and you don't feel the same, let her down gently okay? I can see that she's a good kid. Just, be careful," Yuri suggested.

 

"Well she is a good kid. She has never been in love or been in a relationship. Can you believe it? At this age, in this era." There wasn't a hint of mocking in Tiffany's tone, but pure disbelief.

 

Yuri gasped. "Are you serious? None at all? Wow."

 

"Yeah, I was kinda taken aback when she told me that." She smiled, thinking of the blushing Taeyeon when she revealed the truth.

 

"The more you should be careful with her, Fany. Don't string her on if you don't feel the same way." She stressed again.

 

"I know, I know. I'm not even doing anything!"

 

"She might not feel the same. The amount of time you guys spent together... you might as well just ask her to be your girlfriend."

 

"You're crazy." She laughed. "Don't worry, she's just happy that she found a new friend and she could click so well with me. You're just overthinking it."

 

"I hope so, Fany. I certainly hope so."

 

---

 

She had been texting George, the person who requested her to be his friend for a party at the well-known club. Apparently he's invited by one of the shareholders, who's his friend. She had no idea why he had to find someone through the app because she was sure women would be lining up just for a chance, since he's a good looking lad and he's holding a high position in a company.

 

But since she's free and it was too good an opportunity to let go of, she decided to get to know him a little bit more before deciding whether or not to accept the request. There was a high chance she might as she might be able to get to know more people and in turn help with her career.

 

"Fany-ah," Taeyeon called out.

 

"Hm?" The brunette answered, her thumbs continued to type furiously on her phone without lifting up her head.

 

"Who are you texting? The food is here. Eat it before it turns cold."

 

"Okay, just one more line," she replied as her thumbs moved across the screen before putting her phone away after her conversation. "Sorry." She grinned sheepishly.

 

"It's okay. Go on, start eating first. I know you're hungry."

 

The brunette nodded her head and started eating. A few mouthful of food later, Taeyeon's food arrived and at the same time Tiffany's phone rang, indicating an incoming text. She took her phone using her free hand to see another text from George.

 

"You have another request?"

 

Tiffany looked up from her phone, and the fork that was twirling the spaghetti stopped. "Pardon?"

 

Taeyeon lifted her chin towards the pink covered phone. "That. It's the app isn't it? You have a request?"

 

"Oh," Tiffany resumed twirling the spaghetti, "Yeah, this coming weekend. There's a party at the most well-known club. It's an invite-only event so I thought, why not?"

 

"A club? Are you going with a female or male?"

 

"What's with the questions, Tae?" Tiffany frowned. Please don't let what Yuri said come true. Taeyeon-ah, you don't really feel that way towards me right?

 

"I- I'm just worried." She lowered her head and said softly.

 

The frown on her face immediately disappeared at the cute sight infront of her. Tiffany reached forward to pinch Taeyeon's cheeks, ignoring the warning bells ringing in her head.

 

"Don't worry about me. I have a high alcohol tolerance level and I know how to protect myself, okay? That's sweet of you. Thank you."

 

"I know you've done this countless of times but don't you- won't you feel like... you know, it's about time to stop doing this?"

 

Tiffany stopped eating and folded her arms on the table. The more Taeyeon asked, the more panicky she became. "Why would I want to stop?"

 

"I- I mean if- if in future you have someone and by then you wouldn't have time to do this, so I thought that it'd be the time to stop? When the time comes?"

 

Don't, Taeyeon, I can't... Tiffany's expression darkened a little before she forced out a small smile. "I don't do relationship, Taeyeon. So no, I won't stop being people's friend. I like being carefree like this."

 

"I- I see. Okay, I get it. No more relationship talks." She put up both her hands in surrender.

 

Tiffany heaved a silent sigh and continued eating, her appetite long gone. Perhaps it's time to put a distance between us. The questions, the way she blushed whenever we had any form of physical contact... it's definitely something. And even if it isn't, it wouldn't hurt Taeyeon to just distance myself from her, right? I don't want to hurt you, Taeyeon-ah, she thought as she stealthily glanced at Taeyeon who was seated across her. The blonde had an unreadable expression on her face and Tiffany knew then and there what should be done. Be happy, Taeyeon-ah.

 

---

 

For the past few days she had been deliberately distancing herself from Taeyeon, choosing to communicate with other friends and George. After all, she needed to know him better before the party this Saturday. Taeyeon would text her and she'd stop herself from replying immediately to the message, choosing to reply at a few hours later, or at the end of the day. Her fingers were itching to just reply the text whenever she thought of the possibility of a sad look on Taeyeon's face, but she had to control. Taeyeon must not fall for her. She had nothing to offer.

 

Eventually, she got used to it and instead of spending her free time with Taeyeon, she spent it with Yuri or she'd do something fun. The party came and went like a blur. She met with so many people that night and some were even her company's previous clients. She mingled and exchanged namecards with a few people. She spent most of her time with George, talking with his friends, laughing or dancing. He insisted dropping her off at her apartment building at the end of the party and since it was a little late, she allowed it.

 

That man, George, seemed like a really nice guy. Although he's everything Taeyeon's not; he's tall, suave and manly, but he wasn't as gentle or as attentive as Taeyeon. Of course she wouldn't expect much from a man this successful, but he treated her well and with respect and that's what mattered. Whenever she made comparisons between him and Taeyeon, she'd laugh at herself for being ridiculous.

 

She did warn him that she's not into relationships but he just laughed it off, saying he wasn't trying to get into her pants or to impress her with what he did. He was just trying to get to know a new friend and probably gain a friendship out of this request. He seemed sincere so she believed him. The walls around her cracked a little and George was able to catch a glimpse of the real Tiffany Hwang - the side which had been unknowingly unveiled to Taeyeon - and it was a sign that she had started to get comfortable around him.

 

A few days later she received a text message from George, asking if she'd like to have a friendly meal with him. She agreed, on the condition that they must go Dutch. She didn't want him to get the wrong idea. Although when she went out with Taeyeon, they'd take turns to foot the bill. Tiffany would pay for this, and Taeyeon would in turn pay for the other. But she didn't want to be indebted to George or make him think that there's more to come. She wasn't really that keen to hang out with him after fulfilling the request.

 

It's crazy how much she's missing that blonde woman, and she wanted to confront her to talk things out but she didn't want to fall-out with Taeyeon. Knowing how timid and passive Taeyeon could be, it's better to pretend she didn't know than to talk to her face-to-face.

 

She had wanted to call Taeyeon on multiple occasions. She didn't know how Taeyeon was doing, now that the text messages stopped. Admittedly, she missed the blonde. She was always there whenever she needed an impromptu trip to the grocery store or to watch a movie, even in the middle of the night. Taeyeon would fetch her from her apartment and they'd go to places together.

 

Now that she's feeling unwell and it's half past two in the night, the urge to call Taeyeon to bring her to the hospital was so strong. She remembered that one time when she had a really bad food poisoning and was too weak to even go to the clinic on her own. Instinctively, she called Taeyeon and the blonde dropped everything she was doing and rushed to Tiffany's side.

 

But she couldn't be that selfish, only contacting Taeyeon when she needed her. She missed her smile, she missed her dorky laugh, she missed her playfulness, and she missed almost everything about Taeyeon.

 

What is wrong? Why do I even miss her this much? She closed her eyes and sighed when it occurred to her that she had been thinking of Taeyeon a lot more lately, especially after the party she went with George. The thought of seeing the blonde woman and getting all their interactions back excites her.

 

She groaned, curling up into a ball, and put her hands on her tummy to apply pressure. Taeyeon-ah... it hurts. There were tears in the corner of her eyes as she bit her bottom lip, trying to distract herself from the pain she's feeling.

 

I miss you.

 

---

 

Tiffany was invited to the same club she went with George, and this time round she was able to bring along another person with her so she got Yuri. Since Yuri mentioned she'd not drink just so she could send the two of them back, Tiffany let loose of herself. She mingled, she drank, she danced like she usually did. Yuri was always by her side. It was like her friend could sense how her mood were the past few days.

 

Indeed, her emotions had been a roller coaster ride and she found herself missing Taeyeon more and more. So much that when she turned, she thought she saw Taeyeon sitting at the corner. She smiled bitterly and shook her head. Why would she be here? She missed the blonde too much that she had started hallucinating. This is bad.

 

George came over to say hi and she wasn't the least bit surprised that he was there. She continued dancing, her back facing George and the man didn't seem to get the hint that she didn't want him near. He had started being really touchy, standing too close for her comfort and she didn't like it. She frowned, taking small steps forward to put some distance between them, but it seemed George still didn't get the hint and continued placing his hands near her bum. She tried prying his hands off her back, but he'd shake it off and continued placing them on the side of her waist. She's starting to get really uncomfortable and annoyed.

 

Just when she was about to voice out her displeasure, someone grabbed her forearm and pulled her. She bumped into the person's body before the person took a step forward, using the body as a shield. She blinked and noticed that it was definitely a woman, judging by the height. She then noticed the stranger holding onto George's wrist.

 

"What the ?" George hissed and yanked his hand away from the stranger's grip.

 

She was finally able to see who the stranger was. "T-Taeyeon?" She stuttered, finally registering what happened. Her heart raced and her palms sweat. So I wasn't hallucinating when I saw her at the corner? "What are you doing here?"

 

Taeyeon turned her head to give Tiffany a small smile. "Later," she said before turning back to the man. "Dude, I saw what you did earlier and that's not cool. She's clearly uncomfortable so don't try to force it on her."

 

"You know her, Tiff?" George asked.

 

She could feel Taeyeon tighten the grip on her arm. "Y-yeah, she's my friend," Tiffany replied.

 

She noticed the unfriendly look George was giving Taeyeon and her instinct was to pacify the man and get him out of here. It was her way of protecting Taeyeon because there's no way Taeyeon would win if they were to get into a fight. He had a few drinks probably, and god knows what he'd do to Taeyeon in a fit of anger.

 

"George, I think you're a little tipsy. Why don't you take a seat? I'll get the bartender to give you a glass of water," Tiffany said, prying Taeyeon's hand off her arm and attended to the man instead. She wasn't sure if Taeyeon noticed that she held her hand a few seconds longer to convey her apology. I'm sorry, Taeyeon-ah.

 

Tiffany felt George's hand on her waist and she bit her lip to prevent herself from cursing out loud. They got to the bar and she asked the bartender for a glass of water. She then turned to look for Taeyeon but she saw her backview as she left the club alone.

 

She couldn't explain that heartache she had felt when she saw how lonely or how hurt Taeyeon was the moment she sided with George. But she had to do what's right. She needed to protect Taeyeon. Who knew what a tipsy gentleman like George would do to her? It was better to be safe than sorry. Or maybe she should've left with Taeyeon instead?

 

Yuri came back and found her at the bar, downing shots. She questioned what happened and after knowing, she patted her shoulder and stood beside her, effectively blocking her from George. That man had been trying to talk to her but she ignored him, totally not in the mood to entertain him.

 

Just then her phone which was placed on the bar top dinged. She saw the sender and immediately opened the text message.

 

'I'm sorry for ruining your night. I was there because Sunny invited me. I promise I won't appear and do things which will jeopardize your relationship anymore. I wish you happiness.'

 

Unknowingly, tears starting rolling down her cheeks and dripped on her phone. Yuri was appalled at what happened and hugged her shoulders as she sobbed. She tried dialing the number she already knew by heart but it couldn't get through. She wanted to rush to Taeyeon's side but she remembered she didn't have her address. She only knew where she worked at. Some kind of friend you are, Tiffany Hwang, you don't even know where she lives. She tried calling again and again but the call couldn't get through.

 

"Hey, what happened? Why are you crying all of a sudden?" Yuri whispered into her ear, rubbing her back soothingly.

 

"T-Taeyeon just sent me a text and my calls can't get through." She tried calling again but had the same result. "What do I do, Yuri-ah?"

 

"We'll talk about this once you're more sober, okay? Do you want to head back now?"

 

She nodded her head and got off the barstool, almost falling face-down if not for Yuri's grip on her arm. She smiled, albeit shakily, and bid goodbye to George. He's the least-liked person right now. If not for him, Taeyeon wouldn't have stepped forward and she wouldn't have did what she had done. But who's to blame, really? Why was she this down?

 

---

 

She woke up the next day with a throbbing headache. She must've drank too much after seeing the hurt she had inflicted on Taeyeon. She vaguely remembered Yuri sending her home. She wasn't drunk but just tipsy and a little sleepy. She could actually still remember what George had whispered before she left the club with Yuri.

 

'I think I like you, Tiffany. Call me when you're sober,' he said.

 

Still in her bed, she groaned and muffled her scream with her pillow. This wasn't what she had expected. Whatever happened to being friends? She thought she was being clear by stating that she wasn't looking or a relationship. And he, too, assured that he wasn't looking for anything more than friendship. Although they had been heading out for friendly meals or catching a movie together, she thought it was platonic. Apparently he took it wrongly.

 

This new information made her feel uncomfortable and troubled. It was different from Taeyeon though. She was reluctant to let her go, because they clicked so well and it wasn't easy to find a true friend at this age. While for George, she actually had no issues with cutting all contact with him.

 

Thinking back on the months she had spent with Taeyeon as compared to the other people she had met, it was obvious the blonde woman was different. Tiffany knew there was a nagging feeling at the back of her head but she chose to ignore it, suppressing it urge to come clean with herself or to look into it like a grown up would. She chose to run. She thought she didn't want it. She thought she could live without it, without Taeyeon, but she was wrong. Taeyeon-ah, I think I like you. What do I do?

 

Yes, she knew there was an attraction there but she shrugged it off thinking that she was just intrigued by Kim Taeyeon. She was a little mysterious, a little random, a little out of norm- in a good way, and she was special. There was like an invisible force that pulled her towards Taeyeon. The things she said to the blonde woman, the actions she did, they were all genuine. It includes the subtle skinship because Tiffany just wanted her near.

 

She never thought that Taeyeon would like her back. And when it occurred to her that the blonde actually did, she cowered. She took five steps back because she was afraid. She knew Taeyeon wouldn't treat her like how her exes did but she was just afraid of what's to come if they were to date. Questions like: what if we don't work out, what if Taeyeon got tired of my clinginess, what if I hurt Taeyeon, popped into her mind and that was when she decided to put some distance between them. She thought it was just a phase. That the feelings would fade away once she cut off or reduce the contact. But she was wrong. She had overestimated herself, and underestimated her feelings for Taeyeon.

 

She thought that she missed the blonde woman because it was out of habit. But it was actually because the feelings were still there. And when they say absence makes the heart grow fonder, they weren't kidding. And seeing the blonde last night at the club made those feelings resurface. She would've gladly left with Taeyeon if it were just another stranger and not George. That man... she wasn't sure if she should be thankful or hate him for what he had done.

 

She sent a thank-you text to George and politely declined his confession, apologizing for the mixed signals she might have unknowingly sent and told him that she had someone else in mind. Then she called Yuri straight after. To which the latter picked up the call after a few rings.

 

"Fany?" Yuri answered groggily. She obviously just woke up.

 

"Sorry, did I wake you up?"

 

"Hm, what is it?"

 

"Are you able to give me logical suggestions right now?" She turned to lie on her side, her phone between her ear and the pillow.

 

"Depends on what it is about." Yuri groaned and Tiffany could hear her cracking a few joints.

 

"It's about what happened last night. And about Taeyeon," she answered.

 

"Okay, go on."

 

"I think I like her," she said, almost in a whisper.

 

The line went silent and Tiffany thought that Yuri went back to sleep.

 

"Yuri-ah, I said I think I like Taeyeon," she repeated, louder this time round.

 

"Yeah, I know. I heard you the first time," she paused. "Are you sure about it though? Because of what happened last night? You suddenly have feelings for her?"

 

"I think there were signs but I ignored them, thinking they're nothing. I missed her like crazy. And when I saw her last night it was like the feelings came to bite me right at the back. I've unknowingly fell for her." She subconsciously smiled at the thought of calling Taeyeon hers.

 

"Are you really sure about this? I mean, you've never really expressed interest in women. Are you sure it's not because you miss her presence and you miss being pampered or taken care of by her? Don't break her twice, Fany."

 

"I-" she quietened down. Yuri had a point there. What if the feelings for Taeyeon are not what I think they are? It'd be so cruel to Taeyeon. But what if the feelings are real but by the time I realized it, Taeyeon has already moved on?

 

"Fany-ah, I don't doubt you. It's just- think about it really carefully before doing anything, okay? It's not just your heart that you'd need to take care of. Taeyeon's too. You have to think in her shoes."

 

She turned and lay on her back, her hand holding onto her phone. "I know, I know. I'll give it some thought and maybe by then I could face her and tell her what's on my mind."

 

"But that aside, if you really think that she's the one for you then go for it. Don't let this chance pass you by."

 

She sighed and closed her eyes. "I know. Thanks, Yuri-ah."

 

"Always. Now, let me get some sleep. It's still early for god's sake," she whined.

 

Tiffany chuckled as she ended the call and placed her phone on the bedside table.

 

Taeyeon-ah, give me some more time to set things right. I'll come for you soon. Wait for me.

 

---

 

She stepped into the cafe and went to the seat near the window which gave her a good view of the office building right across the street. She smiled at the waiter who handed her a menu and she skimmed through it before deciding what she should have for lunch.

 

This was her second time here in the week. The previous time she came during lunchtime but today she came here before the typical lunchtime and plan to leave thirty minutes after the lunch crowd had dispersed. She placed her order and looked out the window to see a few people stepping out of the office building. The previous time she came, she did not manage to see Taeyeon walking out of the building and she wasn't even sure if she was at work. This time round, she hoped she could at least catch a glimpse of the blonde woman.

 

After the unexpected meeting at the club, she did not see Taeyeon and her calls to the blonde woman still could not get through. She highly suspects that her number had been blocked and although she felt sad about it, she knew Taeyeon's reason for doing so. I gave you false hope then crushed your heart, didn't I?

 

She only knew where she worked at so she could only try her luck during lunchtime to see if she was lucky enough to meet Taeyeon, or to see her. She had regretted not saving the profile picture Taeyeon put up on her account because the latter deactivated it. She couldn't even access their chat history or the photos they initially shared through the app because that chat room was completely wiped out. It was such a waste but at least she still had the messaging app.

 

Her meal came and she ate it slowly, lifting her head up once after a few bites to look at the entrance of the office building. She was halfway through her meal when she saw the familiar blonde woman walking out of the building with a female colleague. The colleague had her hand hooked on Taeyeon's arm as the latter held an umbrella to shield the both of them from the glaring sun.

 

She squinted her eyes to make out the features of the woman but all she could see was how Taeyeon beamed at the woman as they stood at the side of the entrance, seemingly discussing what they should have for lunch. She held her breath when Taeyeon pointed to the cafe she was in but relaxed when she got pulled away by her colleague. Jealousy erupted in her but she told herself she had no right to feel this way.

 

She watched as the duo walked away after they have decided what they should have for lunch. She was glad yet disappointed that Taeyeon didn't choose the cafe she was in. She wasn't ready to face Taeyeon yet, at least not under such circumstance.

 

I think I am ready to face this. Taeyeon-ah, I hope I'm not too late.

 

---

 

She took a deep breath and dialed Joongki's number. They had exchanged numbers the last time they met and she had never once contacted him. She felt embarrassed to only call him when she needed help but she had no other choice. Taeyeon still wouldn't pick up her calls and she didn't want to use another person's number to call. If Taeyeon had wanted to talk to her, her calls would've gotten through. She didn't want an instance whereby she called using an unknown number, tricking Taeyeon to answering only to realize it was Tiffany.

 

The first call went unanswered and her heart dropped a little. Maybe he's about to pick it up but the call went into voicemail, she thought. She redialed the number and waited. This time round the call got answered almost immediately.

 

"Hello?" She greeted carefully.

 

"Hi Tiffany, this is Sunny speaking. Joongki is actually busy at the moment so is there anything I can help? Or to convey a message perhaps?"

 

A female voice greeted her and she almost dropped the phone when she introduced herself as Sunny, the person she's looking for.

 

"Oh, h-hi Sunny. How're you doing?" She stuttered, slightly taken aback.

 

"I'm doing fine, thank you. Is there something you need?"

 

"I... um, I just called to ask Joongki if he could give me your number but since you're on the line now, I'd like to ask you for a favor." She closed her eyes and prayed silently, hoping that Sunny could help her.

 

She wasn't that close to Sunny but she had seen her a couple of times. She knew she's Taeyeon's bestfriend and she's dating Joongki. What she didn't know was how protective Sunny was with Taeyeon.

 

"You're looking for me? What is it?"

 

"You probably know what happened back at the club a month ago. I just- I tried calling Taeyeon but I couldn't get through to her. Can you please get her to call me? Or can you give me her address? I need to talk to her."

 

"I believe there is nothing left for you to say,"

 

Sunny's tone changed immediately and Tiffany noticed it. She grimaced and tightened her hold on the phone. It's okay Tiffany. You've met countless of unreasonable and rude clients. Be nice, play nice. You're asking for a favor so you have to it up. Don't cower.

 

"Look, I can explain what happened that night. All I need is a chance," Tiffany pleaded.

 

"It's been a month, Tiffany. You could've explained it to Taeyeon if you really wanted to. You didn't have to wait a month to do that."

 

"I- there were some things I needed to sort out and I did. Sunny, please, I really need to talk to Taeyeon and explain everything to her. Just one chance, please."

 

There was a slight pause before Sunny continued, "I'll be the judge of that. Let's meet to talk things out."

 

"THANK YOU!" Tiffany screamed excitedly. "Just let me know when and where, I'll shuffle my schedule."

 

"I'll keep you updated."

 

"W-wait!" She spoke before Sunny had the chance to end the call. "How's Taeyeon? Is she doing okay?"

 

"She-" Sunny paused, "-we'll talk more when we meet."

 

"Oh, okay. I'll see you soon then? Bye."

 

Tiffany punched the air with her free hand and squealed. Having a chance to meet Sunny meant she's one step closer to Taeyeon. She's confident that the best friend would lend her a helping hand after hearing what she had to say. Afterall, Sunny would want her best friend to be happy right? Unless Taeyeon had already moved on.

 

She shook her head and patted her cheeks. "Don't think about it too much, Tiffany. Take one step at a time. If you're meant to be, you're meant to be," she muttered to herself. What's left to do now was to wait for Sunny to schedule a meeting date and she could start with her plan to get Taeyeon back to her side.

 

---

 

For the past few days she was feeling anxious as hell. She wasn't sure if Sunny would follow through the request to meet but she was glad to receive a text from her yesterday. She was in a meeting with a client with her team when her phone vibrated, indicating a new text message. She glanced at the screen nonchalantly but straightened her posture when she saw 'Sunny' as the sender.

 

Her team mates turned to look her at her with a puzzled expression and she smiled, bowing her head as an apology. Her hand was itching to just grab her phone to read the content of the text but she had to endure until the end of the meeting. Professionalism was very important in her field of work.

 

After they all stood up to bid goodbye to the client, she grabbed her phone and read the text.

 

'Hi Tiffany, I got your number from Joongki. Sorry for the late notice but will you be free to meet up tomorrow? This is Sunny, by the way.'

 

'Hi Sunny! Yes, I will be able to meet you tomorrow. Do you have a place and time in mind?' Her thumb flew across her screen as she typed the reply. After she sent the text, she started packing up, stuffing her papers into the folder and grabbed her bottle.

 

Her phone vibrated as she stepped out of the meeting room. Juggling her things with one hand, she took out her phone from her pocket to see another reply from Sunny indicating the time and location to meet. It's a well-known cafe around the vicinity so she knew where it's located. She confirmed the meeting and continued her way towards her cubicle. She felt lighter now that Sunny had confirmed the meeting. She could finally explain herself. She could finally win Taeyeon back.

 

The day to meet Sunny was finally here. She took one last look at the mirror to make sure she's presentable before stepping out of the apartment, closing and locking the door behind her. As she made her way to the cafe using public transport, she couldn't help but feel a little giddy. This meeting with Sunny wasn't just to seek her help, but also to declare and acknowledge that she liked Taeyeon. It was a huge step for Tiffany to take. She had never felt romantically involved with another woman and she wasn't sure where this would lead them, but she had to have Taeyeon back in her life. Whether as friends or as lovers, she needed her, she wanted her.

 

She spotted Sunny the moment she stepped into the cafe. She glanced at her watch and realized that Sunny's early. Walking towards Sunny briskly, she sat down across her. The movement made Sunny look up from her phone. Tiffany noticed how the petite woman glanced at her phone, perhaps to check the time.

 

"Hey, you're early," she commented.

 

"Hi," Tiffany greeted, "You're earlier." She sat down and placed her bag on the chair beside her, smiling.

 

"Joongki dropped me off earlier," she shrugged, "I was here for 10 minutes only."

 

"Ah, okay."

 

Silence engulfed them as they looked at each other. They weren't close to the extent whereby they could talk for hours or anything at all.

 

"Um, do you want to order something?" Sunny asked, breaking the silence.

 

Tiffany glanced at the mug infront of Sunny and nodded. "I'll be right back. Do you need anything else?"

 

"No, I'm good, thanks." Sunny smiled.

 

She took her purse and proceeded to the counter to make her order. Usually she'd order coffee because she's a coffee addict but she ordered the hot chocolate drink instead. Just because it was Taeyeon's favorite and she was missing the woman. The ends of her lips curled up when the sight of Taeyeon pouting flashed in her mind. The blonde woman was half embarrassed, half angry at how Tiffany made fun of her choosing a chocolate drink out of everything.

 

She went back to the table with her order and sat rigidly across Sunny. She heard the petite brunette sigh before speaking.

 

"Let's just cut to the chase, shall we?"

 

Tiffany nodded and swallowed. This is it. It's now or never.

 

"I- I think I like Taeyeon. You know... like-like her." She immediately looked down at the mug of hot chocolate she cupped between her hands, staring at the mini marshmallows floating on the surface.

 

"Your action says otherwise."

 

She tore her gaze away from the marshmallows and looked at Sunny. The latter had her arms crossed and she had a skeptical look on her face. Tiffany couldn't blame her though. She pushed Taeyeon away when she was unsure of her own feelings and now that she had it figured out, she wanted Taeyeon back. It was selfish of her but she had to. It was so miserable without the blonde woman. Whether or not she could love Taeyeon, she was willing to try and this time round she'd try her best to retain Taeyeon in her life- whether as a partner or friend.

 

"I know I was harsh and I was wrong. I just- I wasn't thinking right when I noticed she felt something for me. I panicked and just let my mind take over. I wasn't ready for a relationship then. Or rather, I thought I wasn't ready for a relationship," she explained.

 

She then told Sunny about her past relationships and how she thought she'd just save Taeyeon from the impending heartbreak. Only to hurt her more, Tiffany thought sadly.

 

"You broke her," Sunny stated bluntly. "She's the happiest when she was with you. When you started drifting away and eventually stopped contacting her, she was heartbroken. It didn't help when she saw you with that guy and you sided with him. That kinda pushed her off the cliff and she did some drastic measures. I'm sure you noticed that your calls can't get through to her."

 

Tiffany sighed. "My number got blocked, isn't it? She doesn't want to see me anymore." Her voice cracked a little at the end of the sentence. She cleared to cover the fact that she was about to cry. "What can I do, Sunny? What should I do to prove that I really want Taeyeon back in my life?"

 

There was a moment of silence as they looked at each other. She knew Sunny was assessing how honest and sincere she was. She wouldn't mind Sunny doubting her. All she wanted and needed was a way to find Taeyeon and then she could show the blonde woman how serious she was.

 

"Allow her to try to move on."

 

Tiffany's eyes almost popped out at the suggestion. Here she was trying to get Taeyeon back but the best friend suggested otherwise. How am I supposed to let her go?

 

As if noticing her somberness, Sunny continued quickly, "I mean, let her try to move on. She's trying and she's meeting someone next week. It's someone whom we - as her friends - felt that they'd suit each other. At least let them have their first meeting before you look for Taeyeon. You're the first person she felt something for. Let her explore and if what she felt for you was real, then good for you."

 

Tiffany bit her lower lip and pondered. What if Taeyeon realized what she felt for Tiffany wasn't what she had expected? What if the other girl wins Taeyeon over? What was she supposed to do? I don't think I'm able to let her go without putting up a fight, she thought. But what can I do? Let Taeyeon realize that I'm the one for her after she tries to move on, or to wait till we get together and then she realizes I'm not the one for her?

 

She took a deep breath and exhaled, slumping her shoulders. "Alright. I'll wait until her first meeting with the girl you were talking about. After they meet I am able to look for her, right? Regardless if there's anything between them, you'll give me her address?" She asked with a slight frown on her face, her tone full of hope.

 

Sunny chuckled and took a sip from her mug. "Yes, I will give you her address on the day they meet. Then you're free to do whatever you want."

 

Tiffany nodded her head absentmindedly. "Okay. I've already waited for 2 weeks. What's another week right?" She mumbled to herself.

 

"Just so you know, Taeyeon really liked you. To her it's probably love but I'm not going to use that word yet. Even if she does love you, it's better to hear it from her. If things were to work out between the two of you, please treat her with care and don't break her again. The heartbreak for this would be worse than the previous one."

 

"I promise not to let go of her if I'm given another chance. Not unless she wants out," she said, determined.

 

"Thank you, Tiffany. I know it's a lot to ask for and I'm being unreasonable but I'm just worried for Taeyeon and I want the best for her." Sunny smiled apologetically.

 

"I understand. If I were to figure out my feelings earlier none of this would've happened so there's nothing much for me to complain about. I just hope I'm not too late."

 

Sunny grabbed her phone and tapped the screen a couple of times. She then set her phone back to the table, with a cheeky grin on her face. Tiffany raised a brow when her phone vibrated and the sender was none other than Sunny herself.

 

She unlocked her phone and almost dropped it when she saw a picture of Taeyeon. It was probably taken without her knowledge. Taeyeon was driving, her eyes looking straight at the road ahead. Sunny must've taken a picture of her stealthily. She studied the picture, noting how distinct her jawline had become. But she's still the pretty and cool Taeyeon she knew. A small smile played on her lips as she traced Taeyeon's outline with her index finger. I missed you, Taeyeon-ah.

 

"Since I'm making you wait another week, here's a picture to quench your thirst," she joked. "I might send you more, perhaps once a day, if you can keep your end of the deal."

 

"Deal!" She replied immediately, her eyes sparkling with delight.

 

The woman across her laughed, shaking her head. "You're definitely love-struck. Reminds me of how Taeyeon stares at your picture and she had that silly smile on her face."

 

Tiffany's ears perked up at the revelation. "She did?"

 

"Mhmm," Sunny nodded. "She's probably worse but it's quite entertaining to watch. Then she'd deny with an obvious blush on her cheeks."

 

"She was so into me and yet I-"

 

"Hey," Sunny interjected, "if she's meant to be with you, no matter how long she's roaming, or no matter who she's with, she'd be back at your side eventually."

 

"I certainly hope so."

 

---

 

Today was the day Taeyeon's going to meet the YoonA girl Sunny told her about. She refused to show her a picture of the younger girl and also refused to tell her the location and time of their meet up. So all Tiffany could do was to wait. Taeyeon should be back home by 11pm at night, right? Or maybe they'd go catch a movie.

 

With that thought, Tiffany went online to search for the available movies and the show times. After making sure that there weren't any movies that Taeyeon would be interested in, she sighed in relief. Taeyeon's such a homebody and Tiffany was sure she would return home in no time.

 

Patience, she told herself. What's a few hours compared to the days and weeks she had spent, thinking and waiting? She sat infront of her television and switched to a random channel. Time was passing by so slowly that she's going crazy. She couldn't wait to see Taeyeon, to tell her how sorry she was, to tell her that she likes her.

 

Her phone vibrated and Tiffany immediately knew who the sender was. She unlocked her phone and found yet another picture of Taeyeon. This time round, a pouting Taeyeon was added into her collection all thanks to Sunny.

 

'I know you're dying to go over but patience, Tiffany. Here's a cute Taengoo to last you for at least a few more hours. Fighting!'

 

She knew how Sunny was just making fun of her. They had gotten closer now and they'd text each other almost every day. And Sunny kept her end of the promise, sending one picture of Taeyeon to Tiffany. She wondered how the blonde woman would react when she knew what the two of them were doing behind her back.

 

'Thanks, I really needed that. How did you manage to get so many pictures of Taeyeon, by the way?'

 

'We took them secretly. (; That shorty doesn't like taking pictures so people around her would help her take a few pictures as keepsake. I got the pictures from our friends. Taeyeon doesn't even have some of them.'

 

She browsed through the pictures Sunny had sent her over the week and noticed how Taeyeon wasn't looking at the camera most of the time. She shook her head and made a mental note to take tons and tons of pictures for Taeyeon should they make it. I'll fill my phone with pictures of you and you only. And perhaps fill yours with mine.

 

'Thanks. Really appreciate you sending me those pictures of Taeyeon. It's a side of her I've yet to see. I'll keep my end of the promise and only look for her tonight or after today.'

 

'Good luck, Tiffany. I don't know how things would turn out eventually but you're not a bad person. Even if it doesn't work out, you should try to move on and find someone else.'

 

"It's easier said than done," she muttered under her breath.

 

Four more hours to go. I can do this.

 

---

 

She paced around the corridor for the umpteenth time, glancing at the watch strapped on her wrist from time to time. At 8pm, she bolted out her door all ready and prepared to head over to Taeyeon's place. It'd take her about an hour's ride on the public transport in order to reach and she didn't want to miss the blonde.

 

She had been waiting for close to an hour and she wondered if she had the address wrong. She looked at the unit number and cross checked with Sunny's text. It was indeed the right one. She then squatted down next to the door, hoping that time would just pass quicker.

 

The sound of the elevator couldn't make her look up anymore because she had multiple false hopes over the past hour. She heard footsteps but continued hugging her knees to her chest, leaning her back against the wall. She's honestly tired and bored.

 

"Unnie, why did you stop suddenly?"

 

Her ears perked up at the sweet sounding voice and she looked up to see Taeyeon staring at her with agape. She stood up slowly, her eyes still on Taeyeon. When was the last time she saw her this up close? When was the last time she looked into that pair of mesmerizing eyes? When was the last time she felt this nervous? She could feel a lump in and her palms started sweating.

 

"T-Tiffany," Taeyeon called out. It was almost like a whisper but Tiffany heard it loud and clear. She almost cried but it wasn't time to pour out her feelings yet. There's still someone standing behind Taeyeon, or more like towering over her.

 

Her gaze went from Taeyeon to the girl behind. Is that the YoonA girl Sunny told me about? She's so good looking like a model. Tiffany was always confident of herself but looking at the angel-like girl, her confidence level decreased a notch. Her eyes then travelled down from the girl to her hand which was on Taeyeon's arm. A surge of jealously spread through her body but she controlled it, reminding herself that she did not have the right to feel jealous at this point.

 

Her eyes flickered back to the taller girl and she was sure if eyes could kill, she'd be dead by now. Was she too late? Taeyeon brought her home after the first meeting. What are they planning to do? Taeyeon doesn't seem like someone who'd easily give in, though.

 

She saw how the girl whispered something into Taeyeon's ears and the latter nodded, mumbling some words back. She frowned a little, not liking how close the two of them were behaving infront of her. Then the YoonA girl smiled and bowed to her before leaving. She could only squeeze out a small smile as a form of greeting. Was she too harsh and rude to the girl? Probably, but it was too late for regrets.

 

Taeyeon took small steps forward and stopped at an arm's reach from Tiffany. Her heart was about to beat out of her chest at the close proximity between them. She could see Taeyeon's eyelashes, her eyebrows, her small button nose and her enticing lips. She willed herself to stop staring before she devoured Taeyeon then and there. What's happening to me?

 

"Hi," Taeyeon greeted.

 

Staring into her sparkling eyes, it felt as if she was being in. She couldn't move. All she could see was Taeyeon and all she could think of was how much she had missed the woman standing infront of her. She wasn't dreaming. She wasn't stalking. Taeyeon's standing infront of her; she real and if she were to reach out she could touch her.

 

"Um, let's talk inside?"

 

She heard Taeyeon saying before she heard the jingling of keys. She followed Taeyeon's movements and noticed that she must've felt nervous too.

 

The door opened and Taeyeon went in first, taking off her shoes thereafter. She followed closely behind her, closing the door and putting her shoes aside. She saw Taeyeon bending down to grab the in-house slippers and something clicked in her when she noticed how small and fragile the woman infront of her looked.

 

When Taeyeon turned her body over, she grabbed her by her shoulder, turned her around and pushed her against the closed door as gently as she could. The in-house slippers dropped to the floor with a soft thud. She felt Taeyeon shudder at the touch and her fingertips burned at the physical contact. A soft gasp escaped Taeyeon's lips and Tiffany looked at the blonde, her gaze gentle. Her eyes travelled from her eyes to her nose then her lips. Before she realized it, she leaned in and pressed her lips on Taeyeon's.

 

She could feel Taeyeon struggling but she pressed her body closer to Taeyeon, her hands travelled from the blonde woman's shoulder to either side of her face, gripping her gently and locking her in place. She started moving her lips, capturing the bottom lip of Taeyeon's and gently . She kissed her with all she had, to convey all the longing for Taeyeon. Soon, Taeyeon reciprocated and placed her hands on her waist. She almost jumped at the contact but she liked it. She liked Taeyeon's subtle touches as the woman squeezed her waist lightly.

 

Tiffany lost it and kissed Taeyeon harder, probing the latter's lips with her tongue unknowingly. Before she knew it, Taeyeon pushed her shoulder harshly and she stumbled back, opening her eyes immediately. What she saw broke her heart. Oh no. No, no. What have I done?

 

The look of disbelief on Taeyeon's face pierced through her heart and she almost couldn't breathe. She took a small step forward, wanting to convey her apology but Taeyeon put out a hand and she immediately stopped in her tracks.

 

"Yah! What are you trying to do?!"

 

"Taeyeon-ah," she choked on her tears as she squatted down like she had lost all energy.

 

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. She buried her face in her hands, covering her messy face. The fear and hurt in Taeyeon's eyes didn't go unnoticed by Tiffany. She saw and regretted what she had done. She had taken advantage of Taeyeon, and that was probably her first kiss. First kiss should be memorable but Tiffany ruined it. Taeyeon was never going to forgive her for that and she'd not forgive herself either.

 

"Hey-" Taeyeon softened her tone, "-what's wrong? Why are you crying? I'm sorry I shouted. I- I was just shocked." She grabbed both her hands and pulled them down gently.

 

Tiffany looked up and saw how soft Taeyeon's gaze was and she sobbed harder. I don't deserve you. You're always so nice to me whereas I'm always mean, only thinking of myself, hurting you over and over again.

 

Taeyeon hugged her close to her chest, patting Tiffany's back gently to soothe her. "It's okay," she whispered, "Cry it all out. You'll feel better after this."

 

Being in Taeyeon's embrace was what she had always wanted but not under such circumstance. She grabbed the sides of Taeyeon's shirt and lay her forehead on her shoulder, crying her heart out. She wasn't sure what came over her. Was it jealousy or fear that made her do what she did? She wasn't planning to kiss Taeyeon. Not until they talked things out and Taeyeon allowed her to. But her body took over and she lost all logic.

 

When her sobs gradually died down, she felt Taeyeon leaning back and she kept her head low. She knew how messy and pathetic she looked right now. She didn't want Taeyeon to see this side of her.

 

"Aigoo, what is it that made you so sad? Why are you crying like that?" Taeyeon asked with a small smile on her face, lifting Tiffany's head up by her chin and wiping her tears away with her thumb.

 

Tiffany sniffed and wiped the remaining tears off her face using the back of her hand. "I'm sorry," she apologized.

 

"There's no need for you to-"

 

"I'm sorry I broke your heart, Taeyeon," Tiffany interjected, her voice shaking and her lips quivered. She bit her bottom lip, trying hard not to burst out crying again. I hurt you not once but twice.

 

"Oh," she paused. "What was that kiss about? Do you feel sorry for me so you kissed me?"

 

"Do you still love me, Taeyeon?" Tiffany asked, placing her palm on Taeyeon's cheek and caressed softly. "Taeyeon-ah, I- I like you."

 

The blonde gasped and let go of Tiffany, falling on her . "W-what did you just say?"

 

Tiffany gulped and looked straight into Taeyeon's eyes. "I'm sorry it took me so long to realize and accept it."

 

"Are you drunk?"

 

"I am perfectly sober. Why don't you believe me?" Tiffany sounded exasperated.

 

"I must be dreaming then." Taeyeon shook her head.

 

"Taeyeon-ah-" Tiffany called out and left a chaste kiss on Taeyeon's lips, "-I like you."

 

"H-how- what... B-but you don't do relationship! What do you want from me? I don't think- I don't think I can do friends with benefits."

 

Taeyeon's vulnerability would literally kill her. "Would you give me a chance to try? To try to love you the same way. I've been hurt badly before so I don't do relationships but if it's you... I think I can. Let me try, Taeyeon-ah."

 

"Are you playing with me?" She frowned.

 

"Of course not!" She raised her voice, appalled at Taeyeon's question. "What should I do to let you believe me? I really like you. I couldn't stop thinking about you. It feels so weird without you around and it felt as if I lost a part of me."

 

Taeyeon sighed and rubbed her face. "I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be skeptical but try to look at things from my point of view. First you tell me you don't do relationship then you chose to side with the guy, ignoring me when I thought I was saving you from trouble. And now you appear out of nowhere a month later and tell me you like me? What do you take me for? Am I a rebound? Did he break your heart? Is that it? I'm someone you can use to heal your broken heart?" Taeyeon's voice broke at the end of the sentence.

 

"NO! I- there's nothing going on between me and George! I'm not taking you as a rebound, Taeyeon." Tiffany grabbed both of Taeyeon's hand. "Please believe me. I- I didn't look for you earlier because I wasn't sure of my feelings. I wanted to sort it all out before approaching you. And I am sure I feel something for you. You don't have to accept me now. But at least give me a chance to win you back? Even if you don't feel the same anymore, I'll try to make you fall for me again."

 

"Are you really serious?"

 

"Hundred percent," she replied with determination and nodded her head.

 

Taeyeon sighed and stood up, reaching a hand out to help the brunette up. "Alright, I'll think about it. It's late, let's get you home."

 

"So you're willing to consider giving me a chance?" Tiffany reached for Taeyeon's hand and pulled herself up.

 

"Just one, Fany. I don't think I can take another blow. You might really kill me if it happens."

 

Her heart fluttered at the endearment. "Don't worry, there won't be another." She sighed in relief. "Thank you."

 

She held onto Taeyeon's arm, giving it a light squeeze to convey her appreciation, as they both stepped out of the apartment. They walked to the basement silently and got on Taeyeon's car. She missed sitting in her car and being in this vehicle brought memories into her mind.

 

She wasn't sure if it was because she cried or she had been waiting for too long that her eyelids felt really heavy. She had wanted to converse with Taeyeon but she fell asleep instead.

 

She felt someone poking her arm lightly and she frowned, opening her eyes slowly. She was met with Taeyeon's smile and she smiled back, thinking it was a dream. She hummed, turning her body towards Taeyeon slightly and closed her eyes, wanting to go back to sleep so she could continue the dream.

 

She then heard a light chuckle before Taeyeon spoke, "Yah, we've reached. Are you planning to spend the night in my car?"

 

Her eyes shot open and she blushed at how Taeyeon was looking at her with an amused smile. She sat up straight and ran a hand through her hair, looking out of the window to see they're indeed infront of her building.

 

"T-thanks. I'm sorry I fell asleep."

 

"It's okay. You better get in now. Seems like it's going to rain. It's pretty windy," Taeyeon commented, noticing how the trees swayed. "Good night, Fany."

 

"Can I request something before I go?" She peeked at Taeyeon timidly.

 

"What is it?" The smile was still on Taeyeon's face.

 

"Can you unblock my number? So that I can text and call you..." she paused, "I mean, we're cool right? You'd consider letting me back into your life?"

 

She noticed how Taeyeon's body tensed. "I knew, Taeyeon," she whispered. "I kinda had an idea that you blocked my number because my calls couldn't get through and my texts weren't replied. And Sunny kinda confirmed that so..." she trailed off.

 

Taeyeon smiled sheepishly and grabbed her phone, tapping on the screen to unblock Tiffany's number. She then turned her phone towards the brunette.

 

"Here, unblocked and re-saved."

 

Tiffany let out a sigh of relief and smiled, her eyes turning into crescents. "Thank you. I'll see you soon. Drive safe alright?" She said and without waiting for a reply, she unbuckled the seatbelt and leaned in, placing a light peck on Taeyeon's cheek. "Good night."

 

She immediately opened the door and dashed into her building without looking back. She could feel her cheeks heating up as she ran into the lift, her heart palpating like mad.

 

One step at a time. I'm sure I'll be able to win you back, Taeyeon. She grinned at that thought.

 

---

 

Life resumed to how it was like before Taeyeon left her. Although right now she was the one sending Taeyeon the text messages, and making a few phone calls here and there, but she's not complaining. She'd do anything for Taeyeon to lose her skepticism.

 

Ever since that night she stopped invading Taeyeon's personal space, choosing to just hold onto her arm whenever they walked. Apart from respecting the blonde woman, she was also trying to control herself. The arm holding and arm hooking seemed really platonic so she went ahead with that.

 

For the past few months, Tiffany resumed accepting requests on 'Friend for Hire', but she'd be careful with the selection and always notified Taeyeon about it. Although they're not in a relationship yet, she felt that it's only right to be honest. There's nothing to hide anyway. At times she noticed how Taeyeon would be jealous over a request and she found it cute to be honest.

 

The blonde woman had been trying to suppress her feelings, that she knew. She chose to keep mum about it, pretending she didn't know. There's always a reason why she's giving into Taeyeon and siding with her most of the time. Taeyeon felt this way meant she still had feelings for Tiffany so why would she feel irritated? She's almost over the moon. Taeyeon seemed to be more comfortable and their interactions resumed to how it were before things happened. Tiffany couldn't ask for more.

 

So one day when she received a request from none other than Kim Taeyeon, she almost dropped her phone.

 

'One new request. Head on to Friend for Hire now to check it out!'

 

She was expecting a guy's picture to show up but got a pleasant surprise when she saw the exact same picture and profile name she saw the first time round, when Taeyeon requested for her help for her brother's wedding.

 

'Hi...?'

 

A reply came almost immediately. 'Hi Tiffany. There's somewhere I need to be this Saturday. Would you like to accompany me?'

 

'What's the occasion? Someone is getting married? And why did you re-create an account? What's going on? You could've just texted me.'

 

'Where's the fun in that? (; So what do you say? Are you free or are you not?'

 

Tiffany smiled and shook her head at Taeyeon's antics. This woman never failed to amaze her.

 

'I'd love to accompany you to wherever you need to be, Tae. What's the dress code? Should I wear something formal?'

 

'Just wear something Tiffany and something comfortable. I'll pick you up at 8pm.'

 

She raised a brow when she saw the time. That's late, she thought. What kind of event would require them to be out at that hour? Was Taeyeon planning to bring her to a party?

 

In her mind she's already making choices as to what to wear on that day. Heels, flats or sneakers? She remembered how Taeyeon's eyes sparkled when she wore a simple t-shirt and jeans paired with sneakers. Maybe she should wear that kind of outfit again.

 

'So we're not gonna have dinner first before heading to wherever you need to go?'

 

'Unfortunately, no. You'll have to settle your own dinner.'

 

'Aww, but that's okay. At least I still get to see you. We're still on tomorrow night for movie, right?'

 

'Of course. I'll pick you up from your office. And remember to reject any requests you might have for this Saturday AND Sunday.'

 

'You're meeting me the whole of this weekend?'

 

'Yes. Are you not free on Sunday?'

 

'No, I am. I'm just... happy. (: I'll see you for three days this week! Woohoo!'

 

'Silly. :D Let's pop over to Kakao.'

 

She couldn't contain her excitement and punched the air, elated that Taeyeon took the initiative to ask her out not just one day but two days. She was behaving like a love-struck fool but she didn't care.

 

---

 

She was right when she decided to wear pair of cropped jeans, a basic t-shirt and a pair of canvas shoe. The way Taeyeon's eyes lit up and the way she grinned was a dead giveaway that the blonde woman loved what she wore. They were now in the car towards some place which Tiffany had no idea where it was. Taeyeon was really secretive about it and she shrugged it off. It wasn't the first time she behaved like that though. She had always been unpredictable but Tiffany was up for the surprise, whatever it might be, as long as she's with Taeyeon.

 

She noted they're heading into a residential area and she couldn't help but wonder what Taeyeon was up to. Fifteen minutes later, they turned into a basement carpark and Taeyeon parked her car swiftly. Tiffany had always noticed the way Taeyeon drove. She looked so cool with one hand on the steering wheel and looking at the left and right side mirror to make sure she aligned the car nicely in the parking lot.

 

Hearing a light chuckle, she snapped out of it to see Taeyeon smirking at her.

 

"Liked what you see?"

 

She blushed and unbuckled her seatbelt, getting out of the car and slamming the door shut lightly. Dammit Tiffany. Stop behaving like this! It's embarrassing! But oh my god, did Taeyeon just flirt with me? A silly smile played on her lips as she waited for Taeyeon. She wanted to hook their arms together but Taeyeon took her hand in hers, loosely intertwining their fingers. Tiffany almost jerked at the touch. She looked down at their hands then back up to Taeyeon's face. The latter had a straight face and shrugged her shoulders, earning soft giggles from Tiffany. This has got to be the best day of my life, she thought.

 

They took the lift up before getting out, stopping outside an apartment. There was loud chatter coming out from the place. The party must be inside.

 

Taeyeon pressed the doorbell and within a few minutes, the door opened and a tall and skinny girl came into sight.

 

"Taengoo!" The lady screamed, pulling Taeyeon into her arms and hugging her tight, effectively breaking the hold of their hands.

 

"Yah, Syoung!" Taeyeon screamed back and burst into her unique laughter right after.

 

Tiffany couldn't help it as she laughed together with them. It was so contagious.

 

"Thanks for coming," the taller woman said before eyeing Tiffany who was standing behind awkwardly. "And who might this gorgeous-looking lady be? Your date, Taeyeon?"

 

Tiffany blushed at the remark and broke the eye contact she had with the woman. What surprised her was when Taeyeon laughed and pulled her closer by her wrist, before her hands glided down to intertwine their fingers again.

 

"Yeah, she's my date. Sooyoung, meet Tiffany. And Tiffany, this is Sooyoung. Apart from Sunny she's my other best friend."

 

The lady named Sooyoung extended her hand out and shook Tiffany's hand excitedly.

 

"Nice to meet you, Tiffany. But let's catch up later. I've got important news to disseminate."

 

Before Tiffany could reply and before Taeyeon could stop the woman, Sooyoung ran back into the apartment and screamed at the top of her lungs, "Yo guys! Taeyeonie brought a date! And she is freaking gorgeous!"

 

Taeyeon looked at Tiffany with an apologetic smile whereas the latter was stunned. What in the world...

 

"I'm sorry. It's just- I've been alone since I knew them so bringing someone along is something new to her. Did you get a shock?"

 

Tiffany shook her head and squeezed Taeyeon's hand lightly. "No, no. I was just... surprised."

 

"Well, you'll get used to it. Let's head in. I've got more people I'd like you to meet."

 

She didn't want to overthink what Taeyeon meant by she'll get used to it just in case it wasn't what she had expected. But it did mean that she's going to see more of them? Taeyeon's going to bring her into her friends circle?

 

After a round of introductions, she was surprised to find the young and pretty girl she saw Taeyeon with- YoonA. The lady greeted her as per normal and she felt guilty, apologizing to her for that night's rudeness. The lady brushed it off, smiling at her politely. A faint blush crept up Tiffany's cheeks when she saw the knowing look on YoonA's face.

 

Taeyeon joined them a while later with a plate of fingerfood for Tiffany. It was all her favorite and she almost wanted to kiss Taeyeon on the cheek for being this sweet. YoonA left the two of them on the couch as she went to look for Sooyoung.

 

"So you wanted me to accompany you to Sooyoung's housewarming? You could've said so over text or asked me face to face. You didn't have to use the app."

 

"Brings back memories, doesn't it?" Taeyeon smiled, wiping the crust off the corner of Tiffany's lips with her thumb.

 

Tiffany held her breath at the contact and she was so sure Taeyeon was staring at her lips. Stupid, she has to look at your lips to brush those crusts off but dammit she's too close!

 

"T-thanks," she stuttered, lowering her head and wiping her lips with the back of her hand to ensure there were no more crusts. Taeyeon's actions today confused her to no end. Although she had been her usual caring and charming self, but to actually feel like they're an item made Tiffany excited and hopeful.

 

Is she finally going to give me a chance? Have I proven myself enough to Taeyeon? Or have I done something wrong over the past couple of months? Am I going to be friendzoned? But the way she's behaving doesn't seem like it. Kim Taeyeon, what kind of games are you playing?

 

"Yo, lovebirds! Get over here! What are you doing on my couch?!" Sooyoung shouted across the hall, earning light giggles and wolf-whistles.

 

Taeyeon laughed and pulled Tiffany up from the couch, only letting go of her hand when they're infront of the dining table.

 

"You're going to turn her into a tomato if you keep this up, Sooyoung," Taeyeon commented as she sat down right beside Tiffany.

 

Tiffany pinched Taeyeon's thigh lightly under the table. She wished the ground would just swallow her whole.

 

"Alright, alright," Sooyoung chuckled before continuing, "Thanks for coming to my housewarming. Feels so good to see all of you and also a new face, Tiffany. I sincerely hope that you'd be around for a long, long time. Taengoo looks happy, and so we're happy."

 

Tiffany peek at Taeyeon to see a small smile plastered on her face. Come to think of it she looked really happy recently. Was she the cause of it? Did she have anything to do with it?

 

"And I'm really thankful to have friends like you. You don't know how much you've contributed to my life. Sunny and I literally grew up together and I've seen how emotional Taeyeon could get. And YoonA, the friend who's like a younger sister to me. Of course my girlfriend, who stuck by me through thick and thin. We did it, baby. Thank you for trusting me. I love you." Sooyoung ended her speech by kissing her girlfriend on the lips.

 

"Why does it seem so emotional all of a sudden?" Sunny joked. "The last time I checked it's a house warming. Or are you planning to propose now?"

 

"Shut up, you."

 

A napkin flew across the table and landed on Sunny's chest. They erupted into laughter and Joongki helped her take it off, trying to contain his laughter.

 

"Dammit, Joongki. I envy you," Sooyoung said, earning a smack on the shoulder by her girlfriend.

 

Tiffany looked around the table as she realized what a great bunch of friends Taeyeon had. Her hand found Taeyeon's under the table and she squeezed it lightly before holding it tight.

 

I wish we could be like that. I want to stay by your side and hopefully we'd be able to make it, moving in together eventually. That's my ultimate goal for us, if you'd like to give us a chance.

 

---

 

"Thanks for accompanying me tonight. I hope it wasn't too boring for you."

 

"I had fun all thanks to you. I'm glad to meet new people, your friends especially."

 

Silence consumed them as they looked anywhere but at each other. The air started becoming thick and Tiffany wanted nothing but to run back to her apartment. At the same time she didn't want to head back. She had to cherish every minute, every second with Taeyeon even though they're meeting tomorrow. She took Taeyeon for granted and she lost her but now she's not going to make the same mistake.

 

"Can I go up? I've never seen how your place looks like," Taeyeon asked all of a sudden.

 

Although surprised at the request, Tiffany shrugged her shoulders. "Sure. You can park at the basement."

 

Taeyeon skillfully drove into the underground carpark and parked the car. Both of them got out and walked side by side to the lift. Tiffany couldn't put a finger to this atmosphere because it felt weird. She's not gonna let me down nicely right? I didn't wait six months for this. But I am in no position to protest if it happens though.

 

She fished out her keys and unlocked the door. It felt like deja vu. Like half a year ago, she was the one standing behind Taeyeon watching her open the door. And now it was her turn. She smiled as she recalled what happened. Taeyeon's lips were so soft and addictive. She shook her head to get rid of the thoughts and opened the door, inviting Taeyeon in. The latter looked around the apartment and nodded her head. Tiffany took it as she liked the interior design.

 

"Take a seat. What would you like to drink? I think I have soda and orange juice," she asked as she put her bag on the armchair.

 

Taeyeon sat down on the couch and bounced slightly, testing the furniture. "Soda, please."

 

Tiffany took two cans of soda from her fridge and sat beside Taeyeon, making sure there's space between the two of them. She thought of what she should say as she took a small sip from the can.

 

"Fany-ah," Taeyeon called out.

 

She put down the can and turned her head towards Taeyeon, but got a shock at the close proximity of their faces. Apparently Taeyeon leaned forward slightly from where she was seated. If she were to turn her head further their noses would've touched.

 

"Y-yeah?"

 

A smile played on Taeyeon's lips before she leaned forward some more, effectively kissing Tiffany on the lips. The move made Tiffany freeze in surprise. Taeyeon had a hand on her cheek and she could feel all blood rushing to her face.

 

Taeyeon kissed her gently, different from her pace the last time. Tiffany closed her eyes and reciprocated timidly and as careful as she could. Her heart beat erratically and she couldn't help but smile into the kiss. Kim Taeyeon is kissing me. She's finally going to make a move after six months of nothing.

 

Taeyeon broke the kiss and caressed Tiffany's cheek with her thumb. The latter opened her eyes to see Taeyeon's eyes still closed, seemingly still reeling from the kiss. She leaned her forehead against the blonde woman's. She had never felt so blissful and close to Taeyeon.

 

"What was that for?" She whispered, her breath hitting Taeyeon's face.

 

"Why did you smile?" Taeyeon questioned back.

 

Tiffany chuckled, pulling herself away from Taeyeon. She shook her head. "I thought of how rough I was the night I kissed you. Your first kiss."

 

"You didn't have to bring that up. It's embarrassing!" Taeyeon protested.

 

"Embarrassing? I find it precious and endearing. I could kiss you right now but there must be a reason why you kissed me?" She probed. Taeyeon definitely had something up her sleeve. Even though she had an inkling of what it's about, she wanted to hear it from her.

 

"Fany-ah," Taeyeon started, holding her hands and looking into her eyes, "I think we started off well and it was instant attraction. You weren't confident then, so we kinda hurt each other. But now I think I can safely say that you're here to stay as I am, too?"

 

Tiffany smiled, nodding her head.

 

She took a deep breath. "I know that you've been trying your best to show me how determined you are. I'm sorry I didn't make any move because I was still a little scared. Please take care of my heart? I will do the same to yours and protect it to make sure nobody can shatter it, not even myself. I li- I love you, Tiffany."

 

Taeyeon smiled through glistening eyes. "It has always been you, no matter how hard I try to move on. I never believed in soulmates until I met you. When we stopped contacting it felt like a part of me died. I wasn't me until I could pull myself together. So please don't ever leave me again. You're the source of my happiness and I'd like to keep it that way. Bringing you to see my friends tonight was my way of telling them you're the one for me."

 

Tiffany smiled, feeling touched at the raw and sincere confession. Taeyeon lacked the experience and she wasn't the most romantic person in the world but she's her knight in shining armor. She didn't get to find her Prince Charming but who cares? She had her knight.

 

She squeezed Taeyeon's hand. "I love you too, Taeyeon. I'm sure of it. Be my girlfriend? I promise to protect your heart like you would for mine."

 

They both had tears in their eyes as they embraced, feeling the warmth and affection they felt for each other. After all the push and pull, after all the heartbreak, they were finally together. They're in love and nothing could stop them.

 

That night, Taeyeon stayed over at Tiffany's place for the first time and they slept on the same bed with their bodies turned to face each other and hands intertwined. Tiffany woke up the next morning studying Taeyeon's features. She'd love to wake up to this sight every single morning but she had to take baby steps. There's still so much she wanted to do with Taeyeon.

 

She wanted to go on a date, watch a movie, take a stroll, shop for groceries, lounge on the couch, window shop and so on. They had done all that before but since their status had changed, she wanted to do all those as a couple. The experience and feelings would definitely be different.

 

"Thank you, Taeyeon-ah. We'll be together for as long as we can- preferably until the end of this lifetime. I love you. Thank you for giving me a second chance," she whispered before placing a light kiss on Taeyeon's forehead.

 

She had never cooked for Taeyeon and since the latter's still asleep, she figured she should make them some breakfast. She felt giddy at their new status. It felt good to be able to cook something for someone she loved and there was no need to hide her adoration from anyone, especially Taeyeon.

 

---

 

Walking hand in hand, Taeyeon was lightly swinging their intertwined hands like a kid. They're out in the streets heading towards the theatre to watch the latest Disney movie. Taeyeon knew what a hopeless romantic and Disney lover Tiffany was and bought tickets to the premier of the movie. Tiffany was beyond touched and she kissed her girlfriend on the cheek as an appreciation for her sweet gesture.

 

It felt great to be able to walk along the streets, holding Taeyeon's hand. The moment they got of out of her car, Taeyeon went over and held Tiffany's hand in hers. She blushed at the contact, still not getting used to the skinship.

 

"It's been eight months since we got together, Fany-ah. Why are you still blushing?" Taeyeon asked with an amused tone, tightening her grip on Tiffany's hand.

 

Tiffany pinched the side of Taeyeon's waist and hugged her arm. "You're so sweet and I can't take it. Why do you always make my heart flutter?"

 

The blonde woman shrugged and smiled smugly. "Because I am irresistible and you love me to bits, like how I love you."

 

"Wow, this confidence level of yours is so appealing."

 

They both laughed and Taeyeon released Tiffany's hand, putting her arm around her shoulder, pulling her girlfriend close and kissing the side of her head.

 

"Thanks for staying by my side," said Taeyeon. "I hope you're my first and my last love."

 

"I want to be your first and last, too. I'm glad I didn't lose you because of my stupidity. Thank you for wanting me back. You make me so happy and I never thought that I could have this kind of happiness after my failed relationships."

 

"You're right, my fingers are about to fall off at the cheesiness. How'd you get this good? I'm supposed to be the one with cheese." Taeyeon grimaced and kissed Tiffany's cheek.

 

"And since when were you this touchy and clingy? You wouldn't even dare hold my hand in the first month!"

 

"Wha- excuse me?! I don't go around kissing and hugging someone even before confessing. I like to take things slow." Taeyeon frowned. "And are you saying that you don't like this clinginess? Too much?"

 

Sensing the worried tone in Taeyeon's voice, Tiffany immediately regretted her words. She almost forgot how sensitive and emotional her girlfriend could get.

 

"Alright, alright. My fault. I'm sorry," she said, turning her head and kissed Taeyeon on her lips. "I love this clinginess, by the way. No one has ever allowed me to stick by their side and I'm glad you allowed me to do that. Even to the point of telling me your whereabouts on your own. And as much as I appreciate that, I don't want to suffocate you with my insecurities, Tae. I just need you to reply me and let me know you're fine. I'll have patience this time round." She giggled.

 

Three months into their relationship, Tiffany had the worst scare of her life. Taeyeon did not mention that she'd be in a meeting for the whole day and the blonde woman left her phone at home that day. Tiffany called all of their mutual friends and they all said they didn't see Taeyeon nor received any text messages from her.

 

She waited anxiously for any reply from Taeyeon, and when she couldn't take it anymore, she took a cab to Taeyeon's office building straight after work. The blonde woman stepped out of the lift after work and was surprised to see her girlfriend. Tiffany pounced on Taeyeon the moment she saw her, hugging her tight.

 

Taeyeon felt apologetic and from then onwards, she'd always make sure to bring her phone with her no matter where she went, and made sure that her phone was always charged or at least had enough battery to last her the whole day. Since then, she had been telling Tiffany her schedule to update the brunette about her meetings and such.

 

"I don't mind this, actually. I kinda liked it. I mean, it's a daily reminder that I have to be responsible not just to myself and my family, but also my girlfriend who's waiting for me or my texts and calls. It feels like I have someone to come home to, or someone waiting for me to get home. I like that feeling."

 

Tiffany blushed at the mention of marriage and lightly caressed the side of Taeyeon's waist. She thought of Taeyeon's brother's wedding and how beautiful it was. She used to dream of her own wedding but it stopped after she grew up and faced the harsh realities. But now that she's with Taeyeon, she could actually visualize them having a future together- with or without a wedding. She'd gladly admit that she's madly in love with her.

 

As if sensing how bashful Tiffany had become, Taeyeon chuckled. "I hope I didn't scare you with that word. It's only a little dream of mine. It's not possible for us to legally get married here but I'd like to see it as our common goal. I'd like to give you that princess-like wedding you dreamt of since young, because you deserve that much."

 

Tiffany stopped walking, effectively making Taeyeon stop in her tracks too. Before Taeyeon could question about the abrupt stop, Tiffany pulled Taeyeon's head towards her and kiss her on the lips, locking her arms behind the blonde woman's neck.

 

Taeyeon's hand went to Tiffany's back and pressed their bodies closer, reciprocating the kiss. A stranger cleared his throat loudly which made them break apart and they both giggled.

 

"I guess that's a hint to go get a room," Taeyeon joked with a silly grin on her face.

 

"I love you so much, Kim Taeyeon," Tiffany said softly, caressing Taeyeon's cheek with the back of her hand.

 

"And I, you." Taeyeon smiled gently and leaned in to place a chaste kiss on Tiffany's lips. "More than you could ever imagine."

 

End.

 

---

 

Well, this is the long-awaited last part written in Tiffany's point of view. I hope it didn't disappoint and it did its purpose to clear things up and addressed any doubts you might have.

Thank you for patiently waiting for this last part. It took longer than I have expected. I'm having mixed feelings about the comments I'll receive to be honest. Do let me know if you liked it or if you don't!

 

-E