Part 2

Friend for Hire

Sunny took a peek at Taeyeon's phone when she noticed her friend's eyes were glued to her phone instead of the movie they were supposed to watch at Sunny's apartment.

 

"You're still talking to Tiffany?"

 

Taeyeon looked up from her phone to see Sunny looking at her with an amused smile. She grinned sheepishly and texted Tiffany she'd talk to her later before pocketing her phone.

 

"Sorry, I'll pay attention now."

 

Sunny pressed the pause button on the remote control and turned to face Taeyeon with her legs crossed on the couch. "Never mind about the movie. Tell me more about what's happening between you and Tiffany. I'm more curious about that now. The movie can wait."

 

Taeyeon groaned and leaned back on the couch. "What do you want to know?" She sighed, knowing there's no way to avoid the topic.

 

"You seem to be spending a lot of time with her. Most of the time I see you texting her or you'd go out with her," she paused, collecting her thoughts. "Do you like her?"

 

She bit her bottom lip nervously. It's all so foreign to her. Tiffany was actually the same as the person Taeyeon saw at her brother's wedding- when they first met. She still felt butterflies in her stomach whenever they met or when they talked to each other. That had to count as something, right?

 

"W-what? I don't... think so?" Taeyeon paused. "I don't know."

 

"Does she swing your way?" She asked the most important question.

 

"I never really asked so I don't know, but I do know she's single right now." She shrugged and Sunny gave a suggestive smirk. Taeyeon wanted to wipe it off so badly. "Don't smile like that. I'm still trying to get to know her better. I mean, what if she doesn't swing my way? I don't want to get overly invested. My heart can't take it."

 

"Well well, look at our Taengoo. Are you finally going to give someone all your firsts?" Sunny snickered.

 

"Shut up." She blushed, smacking Sunny on her arm. "It's still too early to say things like this. And I don't even know what I should do or how I should drop hints that I might be interested in her."

 

"Well, you just gotta do it your way. It'd probably seem more endearing to her if you were to just be your innocent self. That's sort of like your charm."

 

"It is?" Taeyeon asked with a raised brow. "I thought it'd be such a turnoff if I were to hit on her like a very clueless beginner. What if I do the wrong thing?"

 

"I don't know about her but I think it's kinda cute if a guy were to approach me all innocent and pure. It's kind of difficult to find these days." Sunny grinned at the thought of Taeyeon approaching Tiffany like a lost child. What a sight.

 

"Do you think I'd stand a chance with her if I were to try? I mean, if I really do like her," she asked as she blushed for the umpteenth time.

 

"You might. Who knows?" She shrugged.

 

"But what if it's just infatuation? Because she's someone new in my life so I want to spend as much time I can with her. Like I'm just curious about her and it'd die down sooner or later? I don't think I want to try confessing without knowing my true feelings for her. I don't want to ruin our friendship." She winced at the thought of not seeing Tiffany anymore.

 

She thought of being alone again and her heart hurts. How would I feel if there's no Tiffany in my life? I was able to survive before I met her but since then things changed. Would I still be able to survive? Life would be so pale and lonely without Tiffany, that's for sure.

 

"You know," Sunny started, tilting her head sideways to look at Taeyeon, taking in the slight frown on her face and how fast her emotions changed, "I think you really do like her."

 

"I do?" She frowned, placing a hand on her chest. The mere thought of Tiffany made her heart beat faster and she wondered how it's possible.

 

I admit that she's really good looking, especially with that eyesmile of hers. The anticipation for her message at any point of the day, the rapid heartbeats... what do they account for, actually? She pressed her palm over her heart. Does this mean that I like her or do I just admire her? Even if I liked her that way, would she be able to return my feelings? Does she feel the same? What if she doesn't?

 

All the thoughts running through Taeyeon's mind were killing her. Obviously she had zero experience in this and there was no way she'd know what to do in such a situation. Was she really fond of Tiffany? What made her attracted to her anyway?

 

Was it because of the time they spent chatting with each other? Was it because of the eyesmile? Or the caring gestures and how comfortable Taeyeon felt whenever she's with her? Or was it love at first sight? She could still remember how Tiffany took her breath away when they first met.

 

She even tried not texting Tiffany that often to stop what she felt but she would miss the girl more, to the point that she'd login to the app just to see her face and - as creepy as it sounds - to see her recent interactions. Or she'd go through her photo library which was filled with pictures Tiffany took of them, or of her, and then reread their messages since day one. Did this mean that she's got it bad? Why was she acting like some lovestruck puppy? She needed help, some serious help.

 

"I think I really do," she acknowledged softly, her face full of worry at the revelation.

 

She never really thought of looking at Tiffany differently for now. She was just meeting her like how she'd meet her friends and maybe she just paid a little more attention to the brunette. And it never occurred to her that she felt that way towards Tiffany, or that she was treating the brunette differently. But her heart couldn't and wouldn't lie. The times she had spent with Tiffany resurfaced in her mind and her frown got deeper. Is this how it feels like to feel something more than friends for someone?

 

Sunny chuckled and hugged Taeyeon. "Oh my gosh, you're so cute right now. Don't look so lost and confused, Taeng. Come to me if you have any doubts or questions alright? I'll try my best to help you."

 

Was it always this scary to come to terms with yourself? Taeyeon would definitely need some time to get used to this.

 

---

 

"Taeyeon, this is Joongki my boyfriend. Joongki, this is Taeyeon my best friend," Sunny did the introduction shyly as they sat around a round table in the corner.

 

"Hi Taeyeon, great to see you again." Joongki smiled and bowed his head a little.

 

"Likewise." She nodded.

 

They were at the café near Taeyeon's residence as Sunny wanted to introduce her boyfriend formally to her best friend. Taeyeon's very happy for Sunny because it's been almost a year of dating and at times it still felt like she just started dating. She thought that the honeymoon period would've been gone by now. She was so wrong. Judging by the way Joongki took care of everything, there was no doubt Sunny played the role of a delicate woman.

 

For the first time she witnessed her friend using such high pitched voice to talk to someone. Taeyeon wanted nothing but to smack the back of Sunny's head. Oh god, why did I agree to meet this two love birds? Taeyeon inwardly groaned, fighting the urge to just stomp out of this place.

 

She still tried her best to get to know Joongki because who knows if he's gonna be Sunny's last boyfriend and they'd get married in a few years' time? She also wanted to make sure that Joongki's really a good man for her pal.

 

They were talking non-stop and Taeyeon lost track of time. She politely excused herself from the conversation while gesturing at her ringing phone. She gasped when she saw the caller and the time stamp. Oh my god I'm so dead.

 

"H-hello?" She bit her lip, silently muttering her prayers.

 

"Yah! Where are you? We were supposed to meet like thirty minutes ago!"

 

The loud voice was transmitted through the phone and Taeyeon winced, slightly lifting her phone away from her ear.

 

"Sorry I lost track of time. I'm just around the area I'll come over immediately," she cooed, trying to pacify the person on the line.

 

"Just be here quick okay? Everyone is eyeing our table."

 

A smile played on her lips when she heard the word 'our' coming out of Tiffany's mouth. You're hopeless.

 

"Okay. I'll be there in ten."

 

She ended the call and shook her head. What had gotten into her? She found this side of Tiffany really alluring. Yes, even though she's angry and feisty but it's all part of the brunette and she liked every single part. You really got it bad, Kim Taeyeon.

 

Sunny gave her a knowing look when she looked up and she smiled, indirectly confirming the identity of the caller.

 

"Sorry guys. I'd love to stay to continue the bonding session but I have to be somewhere else now. I lost track of time."

 

"Oh, is that so? Sorry for keeping you," Joongki apologized. "Don't worry about the bill. We'll get it."

 

"Yeah," Sunny nodded, "run along now. You don't want to suffer her wrath."

 

She'd ignore Sunny's teasing for now because angry Tiffany was not one you'd want to mess with. She thanked both Sunny and Joongki before rushing to where Tiffany was.

 

After getting her number from the app, Taeyeon tried texting Tiffany every now and then and it's been eight months since they had ongoing conversations. Sometimes they'd be lazy to text so they called, sometimes they'd meet for a late night supper, and sometimes they'd meet to have a meal.

 

Taeyeon never once considered those dates. She was trying to get to know Tiffany better through their relationship as friends. She's trying to woo Tiffany through her own means. And yes, she had finally acknowledged the fact that she had a liking towards Tiffany. She did consult Sunny and the latter confirmed her doubts. She's falling for Tiffany as days go by and she wasn't sure if it was a good thing because there's no telling if Tiffany was capable of returning her feelings.

 

Why does my love life have to be this pathetic? Firstly I'm a quarter through my lifespan - if I were to live to a hundred - but I have yet to have my first love, first kiss and first... yeah. And now when I've found a potential lover, I'm not sure if she swings my way. Do I have to stay single for the rest of my life? But I don't want to grow old alone.

 

It was actually something she didn't care about but recent years she had the fear of growing old alone. She was alright with being single for now because she had her friends and all. But what if they got married one by one and have no time left for her because they're prioritizing their family?

 

Even at this age she's already a couch potato and she didn't like to get out of her apartment. What would happen to her when she's older? What if she's fifty and when she looked back into her life, she had achieved nothing and at the same time she had lost the momentum to do whatever she wanted?

 

She felt that she should step out of her comfort zone and try to have fun. Although it's a little late but there's no harm trying. The first step was to get to know Tiffany better, to do the things she liked, to expand her knowledge on socializing. Then once she was sure she could win the heart of Tiffany Hwang, she'd go all out to get her girl. She wasn't sure what should be done because she had no experience in the department of love. But she'd try with all her might because Tiffany's worth it.

 

I hope you can be my first and my last lover, Tiffany. It's crazy how I don't want anybody but you. What have you done to me?

 

Taeyeon smiled when she locked gaze with Tiffany who was seated by the window. It was obvious that the brunette's very annoyed but she returned the smile nonetheless. Sweetly too, if she may add.

 

I think I'm in love with you.

 

That thought flashed through Taeyeon's mind the moment she stepped into the cafe. And she wasn't the least bit affected by it. Was it too early to speak of love? Taeyeon didn't know and she didn't care. She had seen it coming. She knew it's bound to happen one day. Who wouldn't fall for someone like Tiffany? She's probably the best lover someone could ask for.

 

---

 

"Fany-ah." She called out to the person seated across her who was on her phone.

 

She frowned at the high usage of the phone because usually Tiffany's phone would be in her purse or on the table, never in her hands.

 

"Hm?" The brunette answered, her thumbs continued to type furiously on her phone without lifting up her head.

 

"Who are you texting? The food is here. Eat it before it turns cold."

 

"Okay, just one more line," she replied as her thumbs moved across the screen before putting her phone away after her conversation. "Sorry." She grinned sheepishly.

 

The ends of Taeyeon's lips tugged upwards at the adorable smile. Tiffany always had this power over her. She could look at her the whole day and smile when she smiles. Kim Taeyeon you've really gotten it bad. You're hopeless.

 

"It's okay. Go on, start eating first. I know you're hungry."

 

The brunette nodded her head and started eating. A few mouthful of food later, Taeyeon's food arrived and at the same time Tiffany's phone rang, indicating an incoming text.

 

Taeyeon knew the tone well. It was none other than the 'Friend for Hire' app. Does this mean that she'd be going to meet someone soon?

 

She had never asked about Tiffany's job- of being someone's friend for an event or party. But right now, as of this moment, she wanted to know who she's talking to and what they're talking about. She had been through that chatting stage so it made her even more curious. Does she do this for everyone who requested to chat with her? Does this mean that I am not special in that sense?

 

The mood turned sour in an instant. At least for Taeyeon because the beautiful lady across had a small smile on her face as she typed away on her phone. Taeyeon wasn't oblivious. She knew what she was feeling. Jealousy. She was jealous of whoever that's currently speaking to Tiffany and had successfully gotten her attention.

 

"You have another request?"

 

Tiffany looked up from her phone, and the fork that was twirling the spaghetti stopped. "Pardon?"

 

Taeyeon lifted her chin towards the pink covered phone. "That. It's the app isn't it? You have a request?"

 

"Oh," Tiffany resumed twirling the spaghetti, "yeah, this coming weekend. There's a party at the most well-known club. It's an invite-only event so I thought, why not?"

 

"A club?" The frown on Taeyeon's face deepened. "Are you going with a female or male?"

 

"What's with the questions, Tae?" Tiffany asked with a slight frown. She wasn't used to people prying into her life.

 

"I- I'm just worried." She lowered her head and said softly, her heart dropped at the sight of the brunette's unhappiness. Of course she'd be angry. Who are you to ask her those questions? She's not obliged to answer to you and tell you everything.

 

The frown on her face immediately disappeared at the cute sight infront of her. Tiffany reached forward to pinch Taeyeon's cheeks. "Don't worry about me. I have a high alcohol tolerance level and I know how to protect myself, okay? That's sweet of you. Thank you."

 

Taeyeon could feel her cheeks and ears warming up. She blushed as her cheek still tingled from Tiffany's touch. It's funny how a platonic touch could make her go weak like that.

 

She took a deep breath to stable her emotions. "I know you've done this a lot of times but don't you- won't you feel like... you know, it's about time to stop doing this?"

 

Tiffany stopped eating and folded her arms on the table. "Why would I want to stop?"

 

Taeyeon panicked at the intense look she got from the girl across. "I- I mean if- if in future you have someone and by then you wouldn't have time to do this, so I thought that it'd be the time to stop? When the time comes?"

 

Tiffany's expression darkened a little before she forced out a small smile. "I don't do relationship, Taeyeon. So no, I won't stop being people's friend. I like being carefree like this."

 

She had to admit that it hurt. She wasn't expecting such a honest answer from Tiffany, let alone one that did not allow her to proceed further even if she wanted to.

 

"I- I see. Okay, I get it. No more relationship talks." She tried to joke and put up both her hands in surrender.

 

Tiffany resumed eating like nothing happened and as much as Taeyeon wanted to do the same, she couldn't. Not when that slight chance she thought she had was taken away from her just like that.

 

She don't do relationship now doesn't mean that she wouldn't in future, right? Keep it cool. It's gonna be alright, she tried to console herself. She swallowed the lump on and forced a smile. But it hurts.

 

---

 

"You were so happy just a few days ago. Why are you sulking right now? Tiffany rejected you?" Sunny joked as she poked Taeyeon on her cheek. The blonde had a small pout on her lips and she was staring hard at her phone like as if Tiffany would pop out from it.

 

Taeyeon swatted Sunny's hand away and frowned, pursing her lips even higher. "It's not that." She shook her head. "Why are you here by the way? Don't you need to accompany your boyfriend?"

 

"Well, because said boyfriend saw Tiffany over the weekend and I am here to fill you in." Sunny smirked at the instant reaction she got from Taeyeon the moment the brunette's name was mentioned. "But since you don't seem that interested at all, I'm just gonna have my dinner then go find Joongki later."

 

"NO! I- I mean- wait, Joongki was there too? At the invite-only event?" Taeyeon sat up straight and asked. She was dying to know what happened but didn't want to ask Tiffany lest she annoyed her for probing too much. She had a sneak peek the other day at the restaurant and she didn't want to repeat that.

 

"I thought you didn't want me here?" She teased with a smirk.

 

"Just shut up and fill me in. Who's the guy? Is he good looking? What does he do? Did Tiffany seem interested in him? Were they having fun? What did she wear that night? Did he behave inappropriately? Did he-" Taeyeon rambled on, ignoring the expression on Sunny's face, "-WHAT?! Can't I just ask a few questions?"

 

"Those are not just a few questions." Sunny deadpanned. She didn't expect Taeyeon to fire away like a machine gun. Just how much does she like Tiffany?

 

"You're killing me here."

 

Sunny shifted into a more comfortable position and hugged the cushion. "Well, according to Joongki he was really a gentleman. He was always seen by Tiffany's side and they seemed to be hitting off well," she paused, tilting her head to recall what her boyfriend had told her. "And uh, I think he mentioned that Tiffany was in a red dress that showed off her curves? Something along the line. Of course he got a good bashing from me but that's not the point. Point is, almost every man there was drooling over Tiffany and the guy had a smug look on his face because he brought the right date."

 

Well if Taeyeon thought that Joongki would update Sunny on the event he went to on his own accord, then she was so wrong. Sunny asked Joongki to keep a lookout for Tiffany the moment he mentioned he the brunette was attending. Sunny knew that Taeyeon would be interested to know what happened and who was with Tiffany. Oh well, the things she did for her best friend.

 

Taeyeon balled up her fists and took deep breaths. You have to get a hold of yourself. She's not yours and you can't control her. Stop being such a jealous and possessive freak! She finally sighed loudly, unclenching her fists. "Did she- no, I don't think I want to know that," she muttered under her breath, seemingly talking to herself.

 

Sunny scooted closer to Taeyeon and placed her arm around the latter’s shoulder. "Hey, it's part of the job. Just like how Joongki was there accompanying some other girl. It's different, I know, because I trust him and he promised me, while Tiffany gave you no such security," she paused, patting Taeyeon's head. "Have you ever thought of confessing to her? You'll never know if she feels the same way, Taeng."

 

"And risk it all? I don't think I'm prepared for that. I heard it with my own ears, Sunny. She said she don't do relationship." She felt a pang when she repeated what Tiffany had told her the other night. It just reminded her of how she couldn't have Tiffany.

 

"Will you be happier knowing you've tried and got rejected, or never try at all and let it be your biggest what if in life?"

 

The question got Taeyeon thinking. There's no guarantee that Tiffany would accept her if she were to confess. But at the same time, there's no guarantee that Tiffany wouldn't feel the same way she did. It's either give it your all or leave with nothing. Go big or go home, they say.

 

"I- I don't know. There's too much at stake." She shook her head and bit her bottom lip.

 

"You know," Sunny started, patting Taeyeon on her shoulder, "sometimes you just gotta take a leap of faith. Sometimes you just gotta lose some to gain some or even gain more. It was never easy. Love, I mean. At times you might have given your all and you've been careful but in the end you still get hurt. But you might also gain something beautiful out of it. So it's up to you, really." She paused, ruffling Taeyeon's hair. "Give yourself some time. If you really feel that Tiffany's the one for you and she's worth fighting for, you wouldn't be in such a dilemma. You'd risk everything to make her yours. I have faith in you, Taeng. You've never dated before but I know what a great lover you'd be. Tiffany would be stupid to let you go."

 

---

 

Weeks passed and Taeyeon noticed the difference in Tiffany. At first they'd not let a day go without texting or calling each other but these days, the frequency dropped.

 

Holding onto her phone like it's the most precious thing in the world, she stared at the last text conversation they had which was dated almost a week ago. She wasn't sure what happened because she was sure she did not say anything inappropriate. She's so very sure because she had read their conversations until she remembered them at the back of her head.

 

So what went wrong? Tiffany was still Tiffany, accepting requests to be someone's friend at events or parties. And Taeyeon herself... she was about to go mad. Wild thoughts ran through her head and she was too cowardice to validate them.

 

Is she dating that guy from a month ago? Is that why she don't need me anymore? Who would want you, right? He's such a good looking guy and he has the shoulder and broad chest you don't have. You've lost, Kim Taeyeon. You're eliminated from the finals.

 

How did she know the guy's good looking? Because she's Stalker Kim, and she knew roughly what the guy works as and things like that. There's a review written by the guy and she knew they had a good time that night, chatting up like good friends.

 

She wouldn't say that she cried because it was too much to take and she was just brooding in her own emotions, but she did shed a tear or two whenever she thought of her situation. She tried texting Tiffany alright. But all she got were half-hearted replies and even though Taeyeon was oblivious to things like that, she got the hint. For whatever reason there was, Tiffany didn't want to talk to her anymore.

 

Of course she did berate herself for being so sensitive and such an overthinking, emotional adult. But it's Tiffany, she reasoned with herself. She could only worry because she knew how people were vying to be her partner.

 

But she said she's not into relationships. Does this mean that the guy's a gem to her so she changed? But it's been only a month.

 

She ruffled her hair in frustration and threw her phone onto the couch. Just what have you done to me, Tiffany? I can't stop thinking about you and yet I can't have you. Why are you torturing me like that? Am I really that disposable in your life? Why are you so pathetic, Kim Taeyeon? She directed the last question to herself.

 

Just then her phone rang, pulling her out of her trance. Without looking at the caller ID and with Tiffany on her mind, she thought it'd be the person she missed who called.

 

"Hello?" She answered the phone excitedly. Have you finally called, Fany-ah? She almost grinned at the thought but everything vanished when it was Sunny on the line.

 

"Taeng?"

 

She smiled bitterly at her plight and sunk into the couch. "Yes, Sunny? What's up?"

 

"Wow, you could at least be a little more subtle with the change of emotions and tone," Sunny commented sarcastically.

 

"I-" she took a deep breath, "-I'm sorry. So what's going on?"

 

"Go get ready and we will pick you up in an hour's time."

 

Taeyeon sat right up and frowned. "What? We? And why should I get ready? Where are you bringing me?"

 

"Just go get ready. We’ll be there in an hour. Dress up for a party okay? Although I doubt you'll put in the effort but at least put on something decent."

 

"W-wait, you-"

 

The line got cut off even before Taeyeon could protest. Damn that Soonkyu. Sitting on the couch, she wasn't sure if she should be obedient and listen to Sunny or be all rebellious and not get ready. At least not until her friend's here with whoever she's with. Most likely her boyfriend but where were they trying to bring her to?

 

With a sigh, she decided with the former and got up the couch to change. She was never fond of going to parties because it's not her kind of thing, but she'd willingly do anything just to get Tiffany off her mind. The brunette was driving her nuts.

 

---

 

"You sure that's the right thing to do?" Joongki asked as he propped his chin on his girlfriend's shoulder.

 

Sunny turned around and gave him a peck on his nose. "I think it's for the best. She needs someone to give her a push if not she'd forever be moping around. And didn't your friend mention that he's going to confess to Tiffany and ask her to be his? I don't want Taeyeon to regret anything. I may be a by doing this because I am either going to break the guy up with Tiffany, or that I am going to break Taeyeon's heart. Either way, I just don't want my best friend to get hurt. If Tiffany can't return her feelings, then Taeng needs to move on."

 

Joongki nodded his head and wrapped his arms around Sunny's waist, bringing her closer. He wasn't sure why Sunny did not tell Taeyeon that the guy currently trying to court Tiffany was a close friend of his. He clearly mentioned it the moment his friend sent him the profile of Tiffany on the 'Friend for Hire' app, saying that he's going with her. That was why Sunny told him to keep a lookout for the brunette.

 

Even though they almost got into a fight because of that, he realized that Sunny's a really good friend. She'd subtly take care of her friend and whoever her friend was interested in at the moment. His girlfriend did tell him things about Taeyeon and how she might be taking a liking to Tiffany. He was shocked but he's willing to help for as much as he can. He just wasn't sure if Tiffany could return Taeyeon's feelings because from what his friend had told him, it seemed they had gotten closer and it was just a matter of time they got together. Although it was just what his friend felt, and it might not be what Tiffany had in mind.

 

"You should get ready too. Let's go for a short drive before fetching Taeyeon," he suggested, patting Sunny on her arm.

 

His girlfriend flashed him a wide smile and got off the couch, heading into her room.

 

I just hope that it won't turn ugly tonight, he gulped at the thought. His friend did tell him he was going to confess tonight after the party or even during the party. He conveyed the message to his girlfriend and the latter reacted badly, which was why Sunny asked Taeyeon along tonight. There’s going to be another party at the same club.

 

If he were to successfully break the chance his friend had with Tiffany, how was he going to face his friend? What if he broke them up and Tiffany didn't like Taeyeon the way the blonde did? Hopefully Tiffany feels the same then. At least I wouldn't feel as bad as hurting all three of them at one go.

 

---

 

When Sunny pulled her into the club, she immediately regretted leaving the house. The music blaring from the speakers and the amount of people in the club made Taeyeon sick. She wasn't fond of a large crowd and she tightened her hold on Sunny's arm as they advanced towards the back of the club. Joongki left them to greet his friends and it was down to Sunny and Taeyeon. They moved towards an unoccupied round table and sat around it.

 

"Why did you bring me here?!" She screamed over the loud music, hoping that Sunny heard her. She was sure she'd get a sore throat at the end of the day just by talking to Sunny at an extraordinary loud volume. Tiffany wouldn't have an issue in such places, she thought. Well yeah, it's down to Tiffany again. She despised herself for her life seemed to revolve around Tiffany ever since they met.

 

"You should relax! Who knows maybe you'd meet someone else here?!" Sunny screamed back as her eyes scanned their surroundings, seemingly looking for someone.

 

"Would anybody be decent here?!" Taeyeon ignored the fact that Sunny was looking out for someone - since she thought she's keeping an eye on her boyfriend - and leaned forward to speak into Sunny's ears. She couldn't keep up with the screaming. hurts already.

 

"Don't judge, Taeng. Some people are just here to unwind and some are actually pretty decent."

 

A small smile played on Sunny's lips as she stopped and focused at one point. Feeling curious, Taeyeon turned her head and gasped when she saw Tiffany. She immediately looked back at her friend and Sunny just shrugged.

 

"What the hell is this?!" She hissed, about to bolt out of the seat but Sunny was quick enough to push her down by the shoulder.

 

"If you don't do something about your feelings towards Tiffany today, you might regret. And I really don't want to use 'I told you so' if you ever get your heart broken because you missed your chance," Sunny paused to register the look on Taeyeon's face. It was full of fear and it pulled on her heartstrings. "Taeng, I'm sorry for putting you in such difficult position. But I need you to decide today. It might be a bad call but I really hope that you'd either get over Tiffany, or you go get her."

 

"B-but I'm not ready yet. What should I tell her? You can't just push me into a sinkhole like that, Sunny! I appreciate your good intention but what am I supposed to do?!" Taeyeon panicked as her eyes darted from where Tiffany was to Sunny.

 

Sunny checked the time with her phone and got off the barstool. "This party is ending in three hours' time. Get your together and decide if you want to confess or not. I'm gonna go get us some drinks. Stay put and don't drink anything people offer to you, you hear?"

 

Taeyeon waved her hand dismissively and her eyes automatically went back to searching for Tiffany in the crowd. She was lucky that nobody blocked her view and she was able the see the perfect side profile of the brunette.

 

Has she lost weight? Her jawline seemed more distinct but she's still so beautiful. Does falling in love with someone means you'll naturally find her very endearing and appealing? Taeyeon couldn't seem to take her eyes off the brunette.

 

---

 

Taeyeon noticed that Tiffany was with the guy for the past hour and she clenched her fists. As much as she wanted to drink, she did not because she wanted to stay sober for Tiffany. Just in case the man did something indecent to her or to violate her. Her eyes were on Tiffany and Tiffany only.

 

There were people who came up to her but she did not spare them a glance. She knew she looked like a tiger protecting her cub but she couldn't care less. Even Sunny had long given up on her and went to search for her boyfriend, leaving Taeyeon all alone in the corner of the club which was quite secluded.

 

Taeyeon almost couldn't breathe at the sight of Tiffany dancing close to the guy. She wouldn't say they were grinding onto each other but she didn't like the way Tiffany swayed and moved. She knew it's normal for people to stick close to each other on the dance floor. But it's Tiffany she's talking about.

 

She knew her eyes were boring holes into the back of the guy's head but she couldn't stop herself from looking that way. Partly because she missed Tiffany so much and it was the first time Taeyeon saw her in her clubbing look. And because she had to keep an eye on her in case someone spiked her drink. Who knew, right? The guy could be in cahoots with someone.

 

So smoking hot, she thought as a faint blush crept up her cheeks at the thought of dancing with Tiffany. She fanned herself with her hand and took deep breaths.

 

She did contemplate if she should go to Tiffany and at least say hi to remind her of her existence in the brunette's life but thought better of it. What if she was embarrassed infront of everyone? Not like she cared since nobody knew her but she didn't want to affect Tiffany, knowing how well acquainted she was with almost everyone. She had noticed people going up to her and making small talks. What Sunny said was indeed true- people were all over her and everyone wanted a piece of her.

 

Suddenly Tiffany seemed uncomfortable. The slight wince on her face and that slight frown did not go unnoticed by Taeyeon. She stood up using the footrest of the barstool as a leverage and noticed that the guy's hand was the culprit who made Tiffany uncomfortable. Tiffany was trying to get his hands off the small of her back but he kept putting them back.

 

That's it, mister, Taeyeon thought furiously as she got off the barstool and marched her way towards where the duo was. She didn't care about the physical contact she had with strangers - or how her body hurt at each bump - in the dance floor. All she wanted to do was to get to Tiffany as quickly as possible and get that man's filthy hands off her friend.

 

She grabbed the guy's wrist with her left hand and her right hand grabbed Tiffany's forearm and yanked her to her side gently, stepping infront of Tiffany. She had never gotten into any fight and she knew if she were to do it, she'd lose and might probably need to visit the hospital. But who cares? Her priority now is to get rid of the man who tried to pretend to be decent, and get Tiffany into safety.

 

"What the ?" The guy hissed and yanked his hand away from Taeyeon’s grip.

 

"T-Taeyeon?" Tiffany finally registered what happened. "What are you doing here?"

 

Taeyeon turned her head to give Tiffany a small smile. "Later," she said before turning back to the man. "Dude, I saw what you did earlier and that's not cool. She's clearly uncomfortable so don't try to force it on her."

 

"You know her, Tiff?" He asked, looking past Taeyeon to address Tiffany.

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and slightly tightened her grip on Tiffany's arm.

 

"Y-yeah, she's my friend," Tiffany replied.

 

The ends of Taeyeon's lips curled up. She was right after all. Tiffany's voice really suited this kind of environment. Her ears tingled at the volume but she's overall happy.

 

The man looked at her with a piercing glare, as if unhappy that Taeyeon obstructed his plan. No can't do, sir, as long as I'm here you're not laying a finger on Tiffany, she thought as she stared right back into his eyes. She's determined to protect Tiffany at all cost, unless the brunette was alright with the skinship.

 

"George, I think you're a little tipsy. Why don't you take a seat? I'll get the bartender to give you a glass of water," Tiffany said, prying Taeyeon's hand off her arm and attended to the man instead.

 

Taeyeon was left baffled. She looked at her now empty hand and then to Tiffany who was by the guy's side. She swallowed the lump on and felt her eyes burning. She stood rooted to the ground as Tiffany left with the man named George. That turned back with a smirk on his face, placing his hand on Tiffany's waist as the brunette held him close to support him. He was clearly pretending to be tipsy. Bloody hell.

 

She took a ragged breath as Sunny rushed to her, throwing questions and cursing at what Tiffany had done. So sunny was near us to be able to see what happened, she thought. She could hear nothing but the sound of heartbreak. She smiled bitterly when she recalled what happened. Tiffany never once looked at her. I guess I know where I stand now.

 

"Sunny-ya, I'm going out to hail a cab home okay? I don't think I can stay here anymore." Taeyeon turned to her friend, immediately cutting off what Sunny was rambling on earlier.

 

"I'll go with you."

 

Taeyeon shook her head and held Sunny's hand in hers, giving it a firm squeeze. "Don't. I'm okay by my own. Go enjoy and have some fun with Joongki. I was never supposed to come here anyway," she chuckled.

 

"I'm sorry, Taeyeon-ah. I shouldn't have-"

 

A tear slid down Taeyeon's face as she shook her head again. She wiped it away immediately and smiled, albeit shakily. "You had good intentions. So don't worry. I brought it upon myself. I should've just let them be. Who am I to interfere?"

 

Sunny's heart broke at her friend's vulnerability and bitter words. I should've listened to Joongki and not let this happen. She watched as Taeyeon forced her way out of the dance floor and out of the club, her heart going all out to her friend.

 

---

 

She wasn't sure how she got home because everything was a blur but she's now in her bed, trying to sleep. All she could think of was how Tiffany danced with George and how she sided with the man instead. She was clearly uncomfortable so Taeyeon didn't know what happened back at the club.

 

A heroic move became redundant and she could only laugh at her stupidity. What was she trying to do, challenging the man like that? There were so many people at the club and she was sure people would go to Tiffany's rescue if she screamed. Apart from her loudness, she was sure there were eyes on Tiffany, as creepy as it sounds.

 

She chuckled bitterly as her eyes stung again. Yah Kim Taeyeon, grow a backbone! It's just a rejection so why are you behaving like it's the end of the world? She mentally scolded herself. And it wasn't really a rejection since you did not confess. You don't have to be in a dilemma anymore because you don't need to choose between confessing or not.

 

She reached out for her phone and ignored the unread texts and missed calls, going into the 'Friend for Hire' app. Heading straight to the settings page, she went to 'Deactivate Account' and tapped the 'Confirm' button harshly.

 

She then went to create a new text message to Tiffany:

 

"I'm sorry for ruining your night. I was there because Sunny invited me. I promise I won't appear and do things which will jeopardize your relationship anymore. I wish you happiness."

 

After sending that text, she deleted Tiffany's contact from her phonebook and blocked the number she knew by heart. She was being extreme, that she knew. But she had no choice. It's either she let go of Tiffany completely or she'd be in living hell. And although she loved Tiffany, she had to be selfish somehow and protect herself. She couldn't even be friends with Tiffany. She didn't want to try because she knew it'd hurt.

 

Tiffany wouldn't be hurt anyway, so it doesn't really make a difference. At the end of the day I am the only one with the heartbreak. With that thought, she threw her phone onto the bedside table and buried herself in her duvet. Sleep, she told herself. And everything will be better the next day. It will all be sorted out at the end.

 

---

 

It was supposed to be fluffy but this chapter is kinda sad. Next chapter maybe? I should be able to finish this in 4 parts- with Tiffany's point of view as the last part.

 

To whose who celebrates, Happy Lunar New Year!

 

-E