Two

Fated

 

Byul woke up alone. She heaved a sigh of relieved.

It was all a dream then. Of course it was a dream, there’s no way a puppy could turn into a human being. Stupid Byul.

However, there was a part of her that felt a slight disappointment that it wasn’t real. She remembered the smile that the young woman gave her and how much she wanted to see that smile for the rest of her life.

She yawned and walked to the kitchen, stretching her body as she walked, it’s Saturday and she had the day off. I’m going to take Wheepup to the park today, it would be good to have some fresh air.

Byul froze, hands still up in the air when she saw the young woman standing there staring at the eggs that she already laid on the kitchen counter.

It was not a dream!!

“Wheepup?” the young woman turned at the mentioned of her name and looked at Byul with such an adorably sad expression that Byul wanted nothing more than to hold her and get her to smile up to her again.

“What is it?”

Wheein wanted to cook something for the human, but there was no woods and no way to make fire, she knew that Byul used to cook using the box with the weird symbol and the box that could spit out fire, but she didn’t know how to use it and now Byul already awake and the food was not ready. So much for being the companion of the gods for millennia, she should’ve sneaked around the human world more often instead of secluding herself in Delos.

“Are you trying to cook?”

Wheein nodded quickly – head bopping up and down in a quick succession – Byul can’t help but melted at the sight. How can anyone be this cute?    

“Here, let me show you.” She pulled out the pan from the cabinet and proceeds to make simple scrambled eggs for the two of them, much to Wheein’s fascination. The human could create fire just by a turn of a knob. How?

Grinning to herself as she fed Wheepup her home cooking, she couldn’t stop staring at her in amazement. Okay, she was nice to look at and has a really adorable dimple on her right cheek that would deepened whenever she smiled - which she did often - but there was just something about her that made Byul unable to look away.

“I need to stop calling you Wheepup, it’s not a pretty name for such a pretty girl like you.”

Wheein blushed. She thinks I’m pretty!

“What should I call you then? Oh! Wheein! Because you shine so bright whenever you smile, just like the sun!”

Wheein cringed when Byul mentioned the sun, both of her tattoos suddenly felt burnish and Wheein knew that Apollo probably gloated at his twin sister and Artemis was furious. Byul just equated her with the sun, that would definitely aggravate the goddess of the moon.

“You didn’t like it?”

Wheein smiled brightly and nodded, it was her name indeed, how Byul could guess that was beyond her understanding, but she never one to question fate. How could she, when she had been living amongst the gods for all of her life?

“Alright then! Wheeinie, we will go shopping today, I’m going to spoil you like a princess!” Wheein grinned, this human is adorable – a little bit too flirtatious – but adorable nonetheless.

True to her words, Byul indeed spoilt her rotten. She spent so much money on pretty clothing, because Wheein always looked good in everything that she tried on. She also spent not only money but a part of her dignity as well, blushing wildly when she picked underwear for the young woman and had to tell her how to put it on and why.

Byul nearly fainted when she had to help the young woman put on her first bra. Wheein was perfect, literally perfect, and she was only human, but she still tried her hardest to be chivalrous and didn’t stare too much at the perfectness in front of her.

Clothes, shoes, accessories – because pretty girl like Wheein deserves pretty things as well – Byul didn’t even care that she just spent almost all of her month salary just to buy things for the young woman that currently happily an ice cream cone that she bought for the two of them.

Holding hands, Byul showed Wheein around town, she couldn’t stop smiling the whole day, watching the fascination and wonderment on Wheein’s eyes filled her heart with so much warmth.

She didn’t really understand why she felt that way – it was sudden, unusual, foreign and altogether impossible to describe by words – but she felt it the moment she laid eyes on Wheein. The rushing of her pulse, the flushing that was now her constant companion, the flame on the pit of her stomach every time her eyes landed on Wheein.

Her face, her eyes, her smile, the cute little ways she tried to communicate with her hands and facial expressions – it was all in the simple little things that she did – yet it was enough to fill Byul with this strange exhilaration that was so pure and strong, it took her breath away.  

 

They were lounging on her bed, Wheein was leaning back against Byul, while the human had her arms wrapped around the young woman – teaching her how to use a smart phone.

“No… No... you pressed this part and this. Yes! Wow, Wheeinie, you’re learning awfully fast.” Pressing a kiss on Wheein’s temple felt like a natural thing to do, so she did, and the smile that Wheein gave her afterwards was a bonus.

“This way, we could chat or I could video call you whenever I miss you. You will miss me, right?

Wheein blushed and nodded, causing Byul to blush along with her.

She watched on as Wheein typed something in the chatroom and frowned, “You are human? Now, you mean?”

Wheein shook her head and typed furiously on the phone before showing it again to the confused Byul.

I was cursed, but you freed me when you wished me to be human again. I owed you. Thank you.

Byul didn’t believe in curses – but then again – she didn’t believe in a puppy turning into human either and she had the proof here in her arms.

Byul smiled sadly, Wheein felt thankful to her, was it the only reason why Wheein stayed here with her? Was it why she laughed at all of her lame jokes? Or let Byul kissed her temple just then? Or let Byul held her like this?

“Do you… do you have a family? You must miss them right? I… I could help you find them.”

I don’t have any family left. I only have you.

Byul tightened her hold onto Wheein’s body, the tiny girl looked like she already made amends with the fact that she didn’t have a family anymore, but it didn’t stop Byul’s heart to goes out to her.

“Don’t worry, Wheeinie… You have me.”

The protectiveness that she felt just then confused Byul, but as Wheein laid her head on Byul’s chest and snuggled closer, any doubt on her mind evaporated. She didn’t care how Wheein came into her life. Wheein was real and the feeling that Byul could feel planting its roots in Byul’s heart for this precious creature was real and that’s enough for her.

 

Every day felt like a miracle to Byul. Her mundane days were brighter ever since Wheein was in it. Who would’ve thought that simple things like browsing the internet or commuting with bus and subway – Wheein was thrilled and Byul couldn’t be happier – grocery shopping, walk in the parks feeding birds could be an out of this world experiences. Yet, the light that shone on Wheein’s eyes every time Byul taught her something new made a whole world of difference.

The proud smile that graced her lips when she greeted Byul with a home cooked meals that she made herself. The twinkle in her eyes when she managed to travel by herself and waited on for Byul on her campus gate. The adorable guilty look that she gave Byul when she got flour all over Byul’s tiny apartment in her first attempt to bake. The tiny frown and pout that adorn her face when Byul showed her the complex computer programming that she was studying.

Small things really. Simple things. But those are the things that Byul cherish the most and wouldn’t trade for the world.

And then there were also the small oddities.

Byul still remembered how her heart nearly burst out of her ribcage when she took Wheein to the zoo for the first time.

She was bouncing around from cluster to cluster, distraught when she saw that the animals were gated – and as if answering her call – the animals came to her, touching her and looked as if they were communicating. Which is impossible, but hey, Byul need to stop thinking that anything was impossible when it comes to Wheein. It was cute to see how the animals seemed to vie on Wheein’s attention, until they reached the lion’s nest.

It was chaos. Chaos would be putting it mildly, really. People were screaming. The Lion’s trainers were panicking and the zoo management shut down that particular section of the zoo. Byul froze on her spot and Wheein …

Wheein who jumped the fence when she saw the lion, lioness and the lion cubs – she was just lying there – surrounded by the lions and snuggling with them, smile so bright lit up her face as if she belongs there. After much coaxing – from Byul – because the lions were very protective over Wheein, they swiped away at the trainers that came near her – Wheein finally kissed the lions’ goodbye.

And then… there was the fishing trip.

Byul thought that fishing would be a great idea. She got to show Wheein the sea and maybe eat fresh seafood that they would fish themselves, it would be a great date, right? Right. It was great, really, until she mentioned that she really has no luck in fishing because the fish wont caught her bait.

Wheein jumped. Wheein freaking jumped from the boat. The fishermen and the boat’s captain was in panic, ropes were tossed to the sea, poles were doled out, and then there she was, suddenly reappearing like a mermaid, with two still struggling fish on her hands, grinning like nothing was wrong. So Byul laughed, she laughed because honestly, when it comes to Wheein, she shouldn’t expect the expected.  

For once in her life, Byul wondered whether she was actually alive before Wheein stepped into it.

***

 

“Why are you grinning like an idiot? Do you finally have a mental breakdown or something? I know that you lost Wheepup almost two months ago and… ughhh I don’t want to imagine what it feels like to lose a pet, but you didn’t seem so sad, so I’m like… don’t want to pester you about it. But we barely hang out now, you’re just always busy with something, are you sure you’re okay? You’re not like…. Crying yourself to sleep every day right? OMO! Am I being a bad friend?”

Byul looked at Yongsun’s animated expression and laughed, “No… Don’t worry, I mean, yeah… losing Wheepup was tough, but I’m okay, I’m just really busy lately.”

Byul kind of blush a little when Wheein’s image flashed through her mind, she can’t wait until her shift was over. She promised Wheein that they would have a movie date tonight.

“Ya! Why are you blushing?”

Byul nearly fell by the force of Yongsun’s push on her arm, “Will you stop push….” Her words faltered when she saw the face that she misses the most suddenly appear in her line of sight.

A stupid grin emerged on her face and she nearly ran to the other side of the counter.

Grabbing Wheein’s hands into hers, she noticed just how cold it was and frowned, “Wheeinie, you should’ve just wait until I pick you up, did you walk here? Are you cold? I’m going to make a hot cocoa for you okay, just sit wherever, let’s warm you up first.”

Wheein nodded and gave Yongsun a small shy dimpled smile before finding a seat at the corner of the café, overlooking the window.

“Ahhhh so that’s the reason why you’re so busy lately? You got yourself a girlfriend! And oh my god! She’s so freaking cute!”

“Unnie, look over there?” Byul pointed at the register area with her chin, her hands busy preparing a cup of hot cocoa for her Wheein.

“What? Where?”

“The long line of people that want to buy drinks, go busy yourself.”

Yongsun pouted, “I’ll just introduce myself to her then!” she turned around before Byul could stop her.

Sighing, Byul waited until the cocoa was ready before pouring it into a cup and walked toward the two animatedly talking women, with Wheein showing her phone to Yongsun every time Yongsun asked her a question.

“Here you go.” She put down the cup and smiled before looking at Yongsun weirdly.

“Why are you clutching your chest like that?”

“Your girlfriend is so cute!!! How could you hide her away from me?”

“Judging from your reaction, it was the wisest thing to do. Ya! Why are you hugging her?”

Yongsun covered both of Wheein’s ears with her hands and looked sadly at Byul, “Poor thing can’t talk, I just…. Is that why you haven’t introduced us?”

“No, it’s just… I kind of… I’m being selfish okay. I just want Wheein for myself first before introducing her to my friends.”

Clutching her chest again with dramatization – much to Byul’s annoyance and Wheein’s amusement – Yongsun gave Byul a tight hug, “I understand, buddy. Young love! So romantic! Now go on your date, I’ll cover your shift. You can thank me later! Bye Wheeinie! See you again soon!!”

Shaking her head at her friend’s antique, Byul rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly, “Sorry about that, she could be very…. Weird.”

Byul saw Wheein’s eyes turned into a crescent moon and her heart beat a little faster, Wheein’s smile never cease to amaze her. Taking a seat across from Wheein, Byul smiled gently, “After you finished your cocoa, we’ll get out of here okay? The theatre just a couple of blocks away, we’ll walk there.”

Wheein nodded, sipping her cocoa that Byul made for her slowly, her eyes gaze upon Byul’s face over the rim of her cup. She didn’t have much time lefts. The tattoo on each side of her shoulder grew burnish with each approaching days to their limit of three cycle of the moon. Her little adventure in the human world would soon be over. Never bet with the gods. You never win. She knew that now.

She fell in love. In love with this dorky human in front of her but her love alone was not enough. The human care for her, that much she knew, but to sacrifice herself for Wheein?

No. This is enough. The love that she felt and she received from Byul for the last 3 months has been more than enough. She would etch it in her memory and carry it for eternity.

***

 

Golden lights brightened up the dark cavern, yet the three Moirai ignored the appearance of the golden son of Olympus.

Blue eyes gazed upon the three fates warily – even the gods were uncomfortable when within the same vicinity with the incarnation of destiny – but it was a necessity. Aphrodite’s boon would soon expire and he needed to know that nothing would interfere with the outcome.

“We know what you seek.” Clotho – the spinner – the youngest of the three kept on spinning the thread of life with her spindle, her light airy voice sent chill to his body and Apollo gulped.

“You are not the first god that visit the tapestry of life and wish to take a peek.” Lachesis – the allotter looked at Apollo with a calm face.

“Their thread was intertwined, son of Zeus, it was not by coincidence but through fate that their path crossed with each other and although it has yet to come full circle, their destiny was set from the start.” A devilish grin spread on the gnarled face of the oldest, Atropos.

Ugly scowl marred his beautiful face, “But it was not the will of the god for them to be together.”

“Ah, you mean, it was not your will.”

Apollo nearly shuddered when the old crone’s gaze met his.

“As an honor to my father, the king of the gods, you will tell me what you told the other gods that seek your counsel.”

The three fates looked at each other and smiled, before Lachesis nodded, “We will tell you what we told your twin sister, but no more.”

The fate of the intertwined

Between two souls in kind

The stars will realign

When the soul is bind

The three fates took turned citing their answers with the husky voice of Atropos concluding their riddles and the smile that she bestowed upon Apollo afterwards was enough to make the god of the sun wished that he could apparate out of there sooner rather than later.

“Then she shall be mine… what else did you tell Artemis?” he patted himself in the back when his voice still rang with as much dignity that he could mustered.

“Soon… before the sun replace the full moon.”

As soon as the words left Clotho’s lips, Apollo dematerialized himself out of the dark cavern. He needs to act fast.  He needs to bind his serafine to him before Artemis could do the same. Today the full moon hung on the sky and time was running out.

***

 

Byul was lost in her own thoughts as they walked hand in hand toward Byul’s apartment after their movie date.

Wheein.... will you be my girlfriend? Should I just ask her? Is it too straightforward? Did she even understand the concept of dating? Oh no, I won’t have to explain to her about the birds and the bees right? I mean... Stupid Byul, what were you thinking? Just tell her that you love her and that’s it!

Taking a deep breath, Byul tried to calm her thunderous heartbeat, “Wheeinie… Uhm….”

 

Artemis stood there in the darkness of the alleyway – the human world although progressing rapidly with their laws and their rules, still bore those who ruled by their animal instinct, it was not as safe as the human would like to believe – yet those two fools stopped on their path toward the safety of their home and talked about feelings.

As her forest green eyes looked upon her companion for many centuries, she knew that she was not without compassion for the human. However, it was no longer about her. It was about pride. Apollo shall not have his hand on her no matter what.

 

Wheein was smiling up at her beloved human, Byul was nervous about something and it was endearing how she was blushing and stuttering over her words slightly. The hands that clasped hers were clammy – so Wheein waited – smile  ever presense on her sweet face as Byul looked down on the ground and chuckled nervously.  

And then she felt it – the pressure in the air, the crackling of power – not obvious to human, but she was not a mere mortal – a god was nearby. No… it can’t be. I still have a couple of days left.

Panicking slightly, Wheein looked around the dark alleyway, yet, she didn’t see anyone else in the deserted road. They could be masking, but I still have time, they wouldn’t take me now, right? They swore an oath….

 

“You!” Artemis hissed when Apollo materialized before her eyes in silence – foregoing his pompous golden lights that he usually displayed to announce his presence.

Apollo growled at her when their gaze met, “You cheated! You went to the Fates!”

Artemis laughed and glared at her twin brother, “Oh please, safe your indignation, the only reason why you would step foot in this godforsaken world was because you went to them as well.”

His smile, no matter how sinister it was, was blinding – as if the sun suddenly shine and chase away the darkness of the night, “I always get what I want, dearest sister. No exception, especially not this time.”

Gold lights emitted from his hand and Artemis narrowed her eyes, green orb slowly appearing on her right hand, “You dare cross me, brother?”

 

Athena and Aphrodite felt the change in the human world at the same time – knowing their step brother penchant to break the rules for his own gain – they weaved a spell in the human realm, ensuring that they would know immediately if a god wishes to… well, play god and interfere with the human world.

“Fools! Those twin fools!”

Whirlwind gushed over the goddesses’ dwellings as they hurried over to the human world, praying to Zeus that the twins hadn’t had enough time to create havoc.

 

Wheein gasped when she saw the four Olympians suddenly appeared before her eyes – only a couple of distance away – each holding their orbs of powers, as if ready for battle. What is going on….

“Wheein? Are you okay? You’re trembling.” Byul’s tone was filled with worry. One second Wheein was looking at her with a smile on her face, then she was looking around the alley as if sensing something and now she looked… scared.

Shaky fingers ghosted over Byul’s cheek as a tear slipped past Wheein’s dark eyes. It was time. Wheein knew that the appearance of the Olympians so near to them would mean something. Maybe they decided to retract their oath, it was rare but it happened. There’s always a loopholes in the oath.

Wheein tried to smile, but it was weak as she caressed Byul’s face. I wish I could tell you I love you.  

“Wheein?” Byul grasped the cold fingers that cupped her face gently, something was not right, but what?

 

Apollo looked at the display of affection from the mortal with undisguised contempt, “The Fates has spoken. They were meant to be but by my will, I shall break their union! I will not let them be together!”

Athena’s eyes flashed silver at his words, “You gave her your oath, brother! You shall not interfere! It was a sacred rule for us! I will not let you break your own words.”

The atmosphere around the deserted alley shifted as magical powers crackled, each of their powers elements swirling around them.

“She was mine from the start! I will not let you have her!” the ground started to shake when Artemis’s unleashed her frustration over the situation.

“If they are destined together, then they are within my protection, I will not let you two break them apart!”

 

Earth quake? Uneasiness filled Byul – something is happening – yet for the life of her, she didn’t know what. She looked back down at Wheein when she felt another caress on her cheek.  

Standing on her tiptoe, Wheein closed her eyes and touched her lips to Byul’s softly, one of her hand was placed over Byul’s beating heart. I love you. Please don’t forget me.

 

Apollo roared, hand poised in the air, his clear blue sky eyes turned lighter and brighter, golden ray emitting from his body until he was completely surrounded by golden lights.

The three goddesses gasped.

Time slowed – stretching for what seemed like an eternity – as the three goddesses whirled around, three various lights glowed in answer to Apollo’s challenge. Lightning cracked the sky. Magical storm was brewing in the tiny alley and then – as if a no longer able to contain the immense pressure of power – it snapped.

“Emoǔ!!”

Mine.  

One power word.

One word.

Yet spoken nearly simultaneously by the four Olympians.

Four jets of lights slammed into Wheein’s body at almost the same time and the immortal human screamed as pain ripped her tiny body until she nearly crumpled to the ground, only Byul’s arms that was still holding her, kept her from falling.

“Wheein!!”

She could hear Byul screamed out her name, but the pain that wrecked through her body immobilized her.  

Pain. Blazing hot pain course through her body and Wheein screamed again. Pain. Just pain everywhere.

The skin of her left arm burst open with golden lights just below the tattoo of the sun, cracking open before a golden lyre surrounded by laurel leaves appeared on her previously bare skin.

Wheein gritted her teeth as pain crawled on her right arm, black ink slithered its way surrounding her arm bringing with it slashing pain, until a glistening black snake, one of the sacred animal of Artemis was tattooed on it. 

Her cries echoed through the dark alley when her nape felt like a flaming coal was stamped there, leaving Athena’s brand – a spear – to form in an angry reddish mark on her skin.

Byul was on her knees, holding onto Wheein’s trashing body with all of her might, tears streaming down her face. She didn’t know what happened, but her Wheein was in pain, and she didn’t know what to do.

Wheein felt like her heart was ready to burst. The pain was almost unbearable. She clutched at Byul’s clothes and screamed as Aphrodite’s morning star formed in the middle of her chest.

“STOP IT!! WHATEVER YOU ARE STOP IT! JUST KILL ME INSTEAD! JUST STOP HURTING HER!”

Byul screamed at the top of her lungs, holding onto Wheein’s for dear life, hoping to shield her from the pain that seemed to torture her lithe body endlessly.

The god’s energies that were battling dominance in Wheein’s body rose up toward the sky before it exploded across the horizon. The four gods stumbled on their feets by the billowing force of magic, fear etched on each of their faces. What have they done.

 

Atropos was cackling when the Fates materialized in front of the stunned Olympians.

“No will of the gods can change what’s already written in the star.”  

“As was destined, the stars just realigned.”

Still cackling madly, the oldest of the three winked at the still frozen gods, “Your Father must be proud, the four of you just birthed a goddess. Congratulations.” Her gravelly voice was a mere whisper in the wind as the Fates smiled at the gods and simply disappeared.

“We…. We were played.” Apollo clenched his fist in a tight grip.

“By the hand of fate.” Athena shook her head sadly and looked over the heartbreaking scene in front of her.

The mortal was still clutching at Wheein’s body. She was ready to exchange her life to stop Wheein from hurting. She fulfilled Aphrodite’s boon, yet, the boon was moot at this point. A goddess cannot give another goddess a mortality.

“What’s already been given cannot be taken.” Artemis walked over and kneeled beside Wheein’s body, caressing her dark tresses softly.

“I will see you in Olympus, my daughter, my dwelling shall be your dwelling and I bestowed upon you the moon, may you shine brightly even in the darkness.” She kissed Wheein’s forehead – touching her burnish right arm until the black snake disappeared while her moon tattoo remained – and then she was gone.

Athena sighed and kneeled as well, she brushed Wheein’s hair away from her face with affection, “Sleep well, my child, for I will bestowed upon you – poetry and rhyme, so you could gift the humankind with arts.” The spear on Wheein’s nape slowly disappeared, replaced by a golden olive tree wreath. 

And then, it was only the two of them left.

Apollo tentatively kneeled beside his chosen, “Bless thee my daughter, for I will bestowed upon you – music and the lyre – may the world know only joy when they hear the sound of your voice.”

He sighed, his fingers trailed over Wheein’s left arm, his sun mark and the lyre tattoo were gone in an instant, but a small golden chain with a golden lyre pendant appeared and nestled on Wheein’s bosom.  

“Do you want me to take her to Olympus? Her body needs to start the change soon.”

“Go. I will take her there.” Apollo nodded and without a backward glance, leave without a trace.

She took a deep breath and materialized in front of the mortal in a burst of pale pink light.

Byul gasped when a beautiful blond woman suddenly appeared before her eyes, her protective instinct over the precious bundle in her arms kicked in and she tightened her hold on Wheein’s body.

Aphrodite kneeled until they were eye level, “I’m sorry….”

It was spoken in language that was foreign to Byul, yet somehow she understood perfectly.

“I need to take her with me, she need to heal and …. She need to….”

Aphrodite not sure how to explain the transformation that Wheein needs to go through - her    mortal body regardless enhanced by Artemis’s blessing - no longer could contain the forces of four gods power. She needs to be taken to Olympus and be ‘rebirth’ for lack of better words.

“Will… will she be alright?” Byul’s voice cracked, just like her heart.

Aphrodite nodded. She was the goddess of love, yet… she was about to break them apart. “She would forget about you.”

And the cracked heart, broke.

Byul took a quick harsh breath and looked deep into Aphrodite’s sea-green eyes, “If she stays here?”

Aphrodite shook her head.

Byul nodded, she caressed Wheein’s now peaceful face softly, before turning to face Aphrodite once again – tears glistening in her eyes – with a sad smile on her lips, “It’s okay. If it means that she would live and healthy and smiling, it’s okay if she forgets about me.”

Aphrodite closed her eyes – she cannot bear the emotion that rolled off of this mortal, caused by her shredded heart – it pained her. She who was supposed to protect this kind of love.

“Will I ever see her again?”

The hope in her voice was palpable and Aphrodite’s heart clenched for the mortal.

“Only the Fates knows. She would be... different. She would no longer be the young woman that you knew.”

Byul shook her head fiercely, hope blossoming in her eyes, “It doesn't matter. No matter how different she would be, I would still love her. And if there’s a chance for us to meet, even just for one more time, then I would wait, no matter how long.”

Aphrodite pressed a sudden fierce kiss on Byul’s forehead, “So be it. As a gift for my daughter, I will bestow upon you, my dear mortal, an eternal youth.”

And just like that, Byul was left alone in the deserted alley. The light of her life taken away from her just as suddenly as she entered her life.           

She bit her lips to keep herself from crying – Wheein is fine. She’s fine. She’s alive. That’s all that matter. She’s alive – those words were like a litany running through her head. The only thing that kept her sane, no matter how overwhelming the hollowness that she felt in her heart.

Sob, however, left her lips. Her scream of sorrow that followed reached Olympus and tore at the four gods that could only shied their face away from the human world. Torn by the anguish of the mortal and ashamed of the role that they played in fulfilling the destiny.

Fate may have a strange sense of humor, but surely they can’t be that cruel.

 ***

 

“The human world? Again?” Hwasa crossed her arms across her chest as she followed Wheein to the realm of the mortal.

“They fascinated me.” Her laughter was musical, just like her father, Apollo, the patron of the musician.

Hwasa rolled her eyes and snickered, “Please, you didnt really travel the world, you just kept appearing here. In Seoul.”

“Why do you have to follow me around then? Just stay in Delos and leave me be.” The young goddess pouted at her companion.

“Artemis would blast me to the underworld if you are without companion. She doted on you like no other. She wanted to make sure that her favorite daughter safe and sound.”

“By giving me, you? As bodyguard? I’m a goddess, I don’t need kitten for protection.”

Hwasa growled, “I’m a majestic lion! How dare you call me a kitten!”

Wheein laughter rang like a bell and Hwasa’s soul brightened at the sound. Artemis may appoint her as Wheein’s guardian and companion, but even without such order, Hwasa would gladly lay her life on the line for this young goddess.

The young goddess suddenly gasped and grabbed Hwasa’s arms, hiding behind the bushes – much to Hwasa’s chagrin.

“What are you doing?”

“Shhhhh.... we need to hide so she won’t see us!”

Hwasa threw her hands to the air in frustration, “Mortal can’t see us! You’re a goddess, act like one!”

Blushing prettily, Wheein smile was sheepish, “Ah right....” she then stepped away from the bush, no longer hiding and stood there, watching the silver haired professor walked with her students before bidding them goodbye and sat on one of the benches – overlooking the manmade lake in the park within the university – book opened on her lap.

“I wondered what she was reading?”

Hwasa pushed her gently, smiling softly – her heart went out for the young goddess and the mortal, “Why don’t you see for herself. Go to her.”

Wheein didn’t need to be told twice.

Appearing beside the human without any fanfare – she never really fond of her parents ritual of appearing with golden lights like her father, or by a whirlwind like her huntress mother, or worse, pink petals of roses like her other mother –  no, she would rather appear and disappear without any trace, just like her rather stoic mother, the Goddess of Wisdom.

She peeked at the book that the human was reading. Greek myths. Her heart beat erratically, the closeness of the human that sat beside her was unnerving. Why you fascinate me so?

She still remembered the first time her gaze landed on the human. Aphrodite insisted on her company to the human realm – she said that Wheein came from this part of the world – that the gods love her so much, they took her to Olympus and gave parts of their powers to her.

They were walking amongst human – unseen by mortal eyes – exactly in this university ground when she saw her. Her mortal with silver hair and warm eyes.

“How long are you going to stare at me?”

Wheein gasped, blushing up to her roots when the warm eyes met hers.

“You can see me?”

Byul laughed, eyes twinkling like the stars as she regarded the young goddess with so much adoration shining from her eyes.

“Yes. I have eyes that were meant to gaze upon your beauty.”

Wheein rolled her eyes at the pickup line but blushed nonetheless, a cute frown forming between her fine eyebrows. How is it possible? No mortal can see gods unless the gods allowed them to. Wheein gasped suddenly. Oh no, is it possible that I wanted her to see me?     

She smiled then, dimple showing. What’s done is done, there’s no harm in staying for a while and talking, right?

“I’m Wheein. What’s your name?”

Byul smiled, “Moon Byul Yi.”

Wheein eyes turned into a crescent, a dimpled smile grazing her beautiful face when Byul’s warm hand grasped her proffered hand, “Byul... I like your name!”

Byul felt the burn when their hands touched, each of the 12 Olympians symbols that now peppered her back – marking her as Zeus’s Legatus – grew hot as if sensing the goddess touch. Byul ignored the mild pain and smiled at the young goddess that was her destiny. Finally. Her heart finally at peace.    

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Notes

Greek Myths more often than not always ended up in tragedy and this story almost ended up the same way hahahaha I wrote 4 altenate endings for this story before finally deciding on this ending. I hope you guys like it and .... until next time my lovely readers ^^