Episode 5

Hwarang : A Different Narrative

Raina woke up with a raging headache. Slightly disoriented, she looked around, trying to figure out her surroundings. She was probably in a storeroom from the look of it. Thankfully she wasn't tied to anything meaning that she was free to crawl around.
Her hands searching for something sharp in the hay, she chanced upon a glass shard. Wincing when the shard cut her hands, she began sawing at the ropes that tied her hands, ignoring the pain. It took some time because she couldn't see her hands as they were behind the back but her hands were soon free and she immediately went to untie the ropes on her feet when she stilled in her movements on hearing footsteps.

Quickly draping the rope on her hands, behind her back, she watched with bated breath as the door creaked open and the leader with scar on his face, entered with his henchmen. She glared as he crouched down next to her and remarked "Who knew that Dog-Bird had such high standards? He managed to find a wench with a good body for a half-breed that is." He brought his hand to her face and Raina bared her teeth at him. As he went to slap her, they all heard a sound of a crash followed by some more noises. The men exited the storeroom, bolting the door behind them.


Raina immediately brought her untied hands to her feet where she quickly untethered the ropes, removed the rope from and stood up. Hurrying towards the door, she breathed in deeply, backing up as she did before performing a high kick. After the third try, the lock on the door broke.

Rushing out of the door she bumped into two people. She was surprised at the familiar scent of Jidwi who steadied her as she stumbled back. Seeing that the other person was Seonu, she unknowingly glanced at his hand that was crudely bandaged, blood already staining the white cloth. Raina's eyes widened as a group of thugs surrounded them. They were outnumbered. Jidwi and Seonu glanced at each other after they both said. "Stay here" in sync.


Raina glared at them as they started to fight. Just because she was a girl didn't mean that she incapable of taking care of herself. Elbowing the thug who sneaked up on her in the gut, she joined the fight. Ignoring the blood that stained the sleeves of her dress, she kept on taking guys out but was soon owerpowered when she faltered, the pain having become too unbearable.

Jidwi and Seonu were owerpowered as well. Struggling against her captor's hold, she broke free when her captor released her and fell to the floor. As arrows were shot at all the thugs by an unknown saviour, she grabbed Jidwi's and Seonu's hands and ran, dragging them with her.

////"""//////

After the induction ceremony, Raina was strolling around aimlessly when she found herself at the football field. She had dropped Seonu off at their house and had felt cooped up so as a result, she ended up at the place where Suho and Banryu were having their last match before entering Hwarang. She spotted Suho with a frustrated expression on his face as she walked up to him. Tapping his shoulder, she asked "What's wrong?" 

"We're one man short and if I withdraw from this match, Banryu won't let me hear the end if it." Suho moaned.

"I'll play." Suggested Raina.


"Do you know how to play?" Asked Suho hesitantly.

*(Two of Suho's guys backed out and Suho recruited Hanseong and Raina joined as well making the numbers even. 3:3 )*

5 minutes later, Raina and Suho approached Banryu. "Let's start." After looking at her from head to toe, Banryu remarked "I already know who's going to win."


"Then don't be disappointed when you lose." Snapped Raina.


Banryu scoffed. "Wanna bet?" Suggested Raina, "if you win, I'll owe you a favour. If we win, you owe me a favour."


Banryu looked hesitant but when Suho implied that he was scared, he readily agreed.

After shaking on it, the game began. On her side, there was Suho, a cute young man and herself. Stealing the ball from Banryu, she winked at him as she easily scored a goal. Scoring another two goals in a row, Raina whooped in delight when she felt someone tackle her. Both of them rolled on the floor and finally came to a stop. 

Raina, who was on top of her tackler, found herself staring at Hanseong who had bright red cheeks, from all the excitement probably. Smiling at him in thanks for saving her from being tackled by one of Banryu's teammates, Raina got to her feet and started playing with newfound energy, unaware of the increasing palpitations of Hanseong's heart as he stared at her beautiful smile after scoring the winning goal, the wind blowing her messy hair back as the sun set behind her.

//////////////


Raina walked slowly, matching the footsteps of that of Suho's who had insisted on walking her back home, his reason being that it wasn't chivalrous of a noble man like himself to allow a beautiful maiden to wander in the night by herself. Raina told him to feed that crap to someone who would believe it, but she didn't object when he walked next to her.

As they neared her house, Suho's steps slowed down until they were now standing a couple of feet away from her house. Raina turned to thank him when she felt a pair of lips on her cheek. She watched, stunned as Suho drew back and smiled at her. "This is next time, right?" Before turning on his heel and walking away. Staring at his retreating figure, Raina touched the spot where he had kissed her cheek, aware that she probably looked like a bright red tomato. 

Entering Seonu's room where he was sleeping, she tooke his injured hand in her hands and unwraveled the makeshift bandage before cleaning the wound. She then bandanged his arm and let it rest on her lap. "There's a reason as to why I won't call you Orabeoni."

That said, she exited the room and entered her's. Lying down, she attempted to go to sleep, hoping that it would take her mind of the day's events, mostly off a certain individual.

///////////////^^^////^^/^//^^$^/ $

It was already morning when Raina opened her eyes. After washing her face, she entered Seonu's room. No matter how many times she said it, she had to admit, Seonu was handsome as hell. They left together and seperated soon, Raina leaving to join Sooyeon in the crowd gathered to watch the Hwarangs.

In the middle of the parade, Raina spotted Suho. Noticing Raina looking at Suho, Sooyeon asked "Why are you staring at my brother?" 

She didn't answer. Raina actually wanted to rant about how just because 'she was different from other girls' didn't mean that he could stir her heart and give her false hope, but she stayed silent. Her face impassive until she broke into a smile on seeing Seonu in the parade. Waving at him, she didn't know that she was the subject of a  discussion between two Hwarangs.


//^/^

Suho, whose mind was on Raina and the previous day's events, perked his ears on hearing his sister being mentioned by someone behind him.


"Sooyeon's really pretty, isn't she?"

"Shut up will you, her brother is right in front of you."

"Say, who's that girl next to her. Her smile is beautiful. She's beautiful."


At this, both Banryu and Suho glance at her, both confused, however Banryu soon regained his indifferent attitude.

///////

Sooyeon who noticed the wounds on her hands said "wait here. I'll get something for your wounds." 

After she left, someone just barged through the crowd and shoved Raina causing her to loose her balance. She clinged onto the sleeve of his robe as to not fall when it ripped. Looking up at the person's face, she quickly muttered an apology and exited the crowd, Kang Sun hot on her heels.

Wincing when he grabed her by the wrist  where she had injured herself, she was dragged by him until she kicked him in the shin. He released her and glared at her. Raina held an imaginary sword while cocking an eyebrow at him.

"Remember me? If you want to go home with your tail behind your legs, bring it."

Apparently he couldn't recall how she humiliated him because he said "You're that doctor who know everything about a man's body. Then you surely know how to please me, right?"


He again attempted to drag her when she elbowed him in the gut and was about to knee him in the groin when a sword poked him in the chest. Raina watched as Jidwi appeared alongside an old man wearing a sedge hat and who was holding the sword.

"Leave if you know what's good for you."

Kang Sun glared at them both but left once he was again jabbed in the gut by the sword. After he left, Jidwi turned to face her.


"You owe me."

"I was handling it before you butted in."

"Is this how you treat you saviour?"

"You mean Grim Reaper and yes."


At her reply Jidwi's bodyguard snorted. Raina watched as Jidwi glared at him before  grabbing her hand causing a pained hiss to escape from . Jidwi's eyes immediately fell on the wounds that marred her skin. There were small scrapes and all the blood had dried.


Gently brushing his fingers over the wounds, his concerned eyes took in Raina's pained expression before fishing a small bottle from his robes. Placing it in the palm of her other hand, Jidwi brought her knuckles close to his mouth and pressed a kiss on her wound all the while staring into her eyes. He then his heel and left leaving a shocked Raina staring at him in bewilderment as he left.

"Smooth your Majesty. You just frightened her off." Said Paoh.

"You wouldn't know anything considering your popularity with women." Muttered Jidwi, annoyed.

/////////

It was miday as Raina walked through the rural areas filled with poverty-stricken citizens. Playing with the snall bottle gifted by Jidwi she unconsciously smiled. The ointment was very effective. Her wounds felt much better. As she walked, her mind wandering, she stumbled on a group if small boys bullying a small girl, dressed in rags.

"Who do you think you are to taint us with your half-breedness, orphan?" Said 1 boy.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?"

The boys ran away once they saw Raina approaching them. Ignoring them, she knelt down next to the small girl. Taking her in her arms, Raina carried the child to a shaded area and placed her on the wooden floor of an inn. She felt the child's forehead for fever and frowned at how warm it was.

She quickly set about treating the child's wounds. When she was finally finished, Raina stared at the girl, taking note of her sunken cheeks and frail body. From what she had seen, the girl had probably been bullied for being a half-breed and parentless. This was why Raina hated the Bone-rank system. It separated the people and caused social discrimination. This was why she did what she did as the Lustful Student and now, the kingdom was in for a surprise. The Lustful Student was returning from a hiatus, whether they liked it or not.


/^&$&/&/^^////

Raina's outfit is similar to what Princess Sookmyung's female bodyguard wears, just in different colours. If she is wearing robes like Sooyeon or Aro, I will specify. I will do my best to update till ep 10 within these 2-3 weeks as the latter 10 eps, i have to watch untill the end, to plan. Next episode is the kiss!

Comment on the romance and tell me your thoughts on it. If you feel that a certain Hwarang isn't getting enough if scenes with/concerning Raina, Pls tell me. Thanks. Till next time

Andrianna2016