Episode 8

Hwarang : A Different Narrative

Raina released a heavy sigh as she leaned against the closed door of her quarters after having separated from Seonu once they had reached Hwarangdo. She couldn't bring herself to acknowledge what had happened just a few hours back. Attempting to not dwell on that particular matter, she entered her quarters and got ready for bed, her mind heavy. Closing her eyes, she drifted off to sleep, dreaming of a past filled with things she'd rather not relive.

 

/////////////////////////////

 

The dorm room of Seonu, Jidwi, Yeol, Banryu and Suho was filled with yawns as half-asleep men woke up early for their punishment. Dressing himself in his Hwarang attire, Yeol waited until Suho had left, before speaking. 

 

"I heard that you ually assaulted a young maiden in the backyard of Okta last night. " he said, directing it at Banryu.

 

Hanseong, who had for some weird reason, woken up earlier than them and had joined them in their room, gasped in shock. 

 

At Yeol's statement, everyone's eyes snapped up to where Banryu stood, flustered, attempting to defend himself when Yeol continued, "Not only that, you ually assaulted the girl who Suho likes."

 

Aware of everyone's curious gaze, Yeol whispered in Banryu's ear as soft as he could and smirked as he drew back, seeing Banryu's widened gaze. Smiling at his roommates and Hansung, he exited the room, fanning himself as went.

 

 

////////

 

Before their punishment started, Banryu rushed to the Physician's quarters and rounded a corner when he bumped into someone causing them to both tumble to the floor. Lying on the hard floor, Banryu's breath was caught in his throat as he witnessed the person he had bumped into her.  His gaze roved her face, captivated by Raina. Her eyes were closed, she was probably slightly knocked out, and her lips were slightly parted as her head lay on his outstretched arm he had instinctively put out when they fell. 

 

 

(If anyone has watched 'Moon Embracing the Sun' in the scene where Kim Yoo Jung follows the yellow butterfly and sees Yeo Jin Goo on the ladder and he falls and they land on the floor, his left arm outstretched and her head is lying on it. this is that scene)

 

 

Entering her chamber, Banryu placed the unconscious Raina on her bed and took a seat on the nearby chair. Gazing at Raina's peaceful features, Banry found himself tucking the stray piece of hair that had escaped her braid behind her ear as he softly spoke, "I think I like you. And I'm afraid that I won't be able to protect you." 

 

Thinking that he had said too much, he abruptly stood up and exited the room, not noticing the wild flowers that lay on the table. After Banryu left, Raina slowly came to her senses. She remembered bumping into somebody as she had rounded a corner and falling down and getting herself knocked out. She also faintly remembered someone speaking to her and tucking her hair behind her ear but she shrugged it off as her wild imagination. Slowly sitting up, she caught sight of the flowers that lay on the table and smiled as it triggered a memory.

 

 

Flashback

 

Raina was aimlessly wandering around and was near the bridge overlooking the pond when she caught sight of Hansung. She was about to greet him when she noticed the dejected look on his face as he stared at something in his hands. Careful to be unnoticed she slowly tiptoed until she was next to him and poked his cheek. 

 

"What are you doing?" she asked. On hearing her voice, Hansung jumped back startled and hid both his hand behind his back, arousing Raina's interest even further. 

"N-Nothing." he stammered. Changing her tactic, she gently asked, "What's wrong Hansung?"

He wouldn't meet her eyes as he nervously his lips. 

 "I like you,"he suddenly blurted out and held out a bunch of beautiful wild flowers in his hands, in front of him.

Once realising what he had said, he covered his mouth with his hand in shock. Raina stared at him as his eyes widened and he looked as if he was going to make a run for it when she tiptoed and kissed his hand that was covering his mouth, all the while gazing into his eyes. If possible, his eyes widened even further and Raina giggled as she broke of the one-sided hand-kiss. He looked so adorably cute with his red cheeks and flustered expression. Smiling up at him she took the flowers from his hand and left, sniffing them as she went, a bright, big smile on her face.

 

 

//// ///

 

Sooyeon was wandering around the market, buying whatever caught her eye when she heard whispers following her. Ducking behind a cart, she eavesdropped on the two men and gasped at what she heard. Apparently the rumour had spread, of Banryu assaulting Raina and if her brother found out, he would rage a war against Banryu. She had to find Raina and warn her, fast.

 

 

////////

 

 

Raina was at the nearby river with a basket of laundry next to her, sitting on a smooth stone, her feet dangling in the water, when Seonu took a seat next to her. She didn't notice him until he splashed water at her, wetting her robes and face. Glaring at the offender, a wicked smirk painted her face as she not-so-gently pushed him into the water. Laughing at his indignant expression, she wasn't prepared for him to pull her in and screamed when she hit the cold water. Raina glared at his laughing face before dunking his head under water and from there onwards, it was full-blown water fight. 

 

After Raina had finally settled the score, they both climbed out of the river and lay on the stones, drenched, waiting for their clothes to dry up. Seonu watched as Raina suddenly sat up, fished a wild flower out of the water and began to twirl it in her hands. Seeing her fond expression as she stared at the flower, he asked curiously, "Who gave that to you?"

 

"Hansung." she replied and Seonu felt his eyebrows rise up. He hadn't know that the sweet, innocent little, maknae was bold enough to give a girl, especially Raina, flowers. But still, seeing the happy smile on Raina's face, he tried to be happy for her, ignoring the strange feeling of his heart constricting at the fact that her happiness wasn't because of him.

 

 

//////////////////////

 

Raina was walking through the market, taking the long way back to Hwarangdo from the river after having given the washed laundry to Seonu to hang it for drying, when she felt herself being dragged into an alley. Ready to defend herself, she whirled around to attack but stopped when she saw the face of her friends, Sooyeon. She looked panicky and anxious, constantly craning her neck to see whether anyone had noticed two maidens hiding in an alley. Raina wondered what this was all about and was beginning to worry, fearing for Sooyeon's safety when Sooyeon spoke, dissuading her fears.

 

"Have any murders happened in the Hwarang House?"

"No, but what do you mean? Who will murder whom?" At her question, Sooyeon stopped craning her head around and stared at Raina in disbelief.

"Are you dumb or dumb? My brother will murder Banryu-rang if he finds out that Banryu-rang took advantage of you in Okta yesterday.

"And why exactly would he be rising up in arms for me, in my defense?"

"You really don't know?"

"Know what?"

"My brother, Suho-rang likes you. Like really likes you. After he met you, he's been talking non-stop about you, asking me to include him in our outings. When you reject him, he mopes around at home with a horrible temper, acting like a drama queen. When he sees you with another guy, even if it's you brother, he gets jealous."

"Why?"

"Don't you get it? He's in love with you and even though I agree that you shouldn't date my brother, the resident playboy/Casanova, at least tell him straight up that you aren't interested in him without stringing him along. It's the least you can do for me."

 

There was silence before Raina finally spoke. "Let's have a drink." Sooyeon was surprised at the sudden change of subject but she agreed.

 

Sitting at their favourite liquor store, Sooyeon let out a contented sigh as she finished her pot of alcohol. Glancing at Raina, she wondered how her friend found herself in this situation. Apparently 3 Hwarangs, Jidwi, Hansung and her brother, Suho liked her. Raina, herself, was confused on her feeling on that matter however Sooyeon had learnt that she harboured some feelings for her 'brother', Seonu even though Raina hadn't realised it yet. And from Raina's retelling of the conversation between Seonu and her at the river, Sooyeon understood that Raina wasn't going to suffer from an unrequited love anytime soon, when looking at Seonu's reaction on hearing whom the flowers were from.

 

 Sooyeon didn't mind the fact that the sibling like each other and not platonically, in her opinion it didn't matter. Love was love at that was that. If Queen Jisoo of the Royal family could marry her uncle and have her daughter, Princess Sookmyung betrothed to her half-brother, the Queen's other child, why couldn't Raina and Seonu like each other. But now she had to decide who she was rooting for, aside from her brother, to end up with Raina. Chuckling to herself, she wondered whether Raina knew that she was in for one hell of a ride. After all, who said that 'Love was easy'? Brushing aside all her musings, she hopefully peered into her empty pot, hoping to find a little bit of alcohol left while Raina stared blankly at her untouched pot of liquor, her mind whirling.

 

She was startled out of her thoughts when Sooyeon collapsed, face-first, on the table. Smiling at her unconscious friend, she helped the drunk Sooyeon to her feet and half-carried her, half-dragged her to her house. 

 

After having safely delivered Sooyeon home, Raina arrived at Hwarangdo and was heading for her quarters when she was confronted by Jidwi who placed a gold container filled with gold acupuncture needles, in her hands. 

"Why are you giving me this?" she asked, confused.

"Think." he said before leaving. Raina stared at  the case in her hand and realised that it was useful as the case she owned, given to her by her mentor was very old, but wondered whether Jidwi was giving her his permission to paralyse him whenever the need arose. Mentally thanking him, she arrived at her quarters and was surprised to see an excited Pi Jooki hanging around. She was even more surprised when he dragged her up the stairs and into her room. Gasping in shock at the changes done to her room, she asked in a controlled voice, careful to keep her anger out of it, "What, the hell happened here?"

 

"I think that someone is trying to win your heart, Miss Raina" simpered Pi Jooki. Closing her eyes, she yelled, "WHAT KIND OF A LUNATIC DECORATES A PHYSICIAN'S ROOM IN PINK AND SHINY CLOTH?" Her outburst rendered Pi Jooki silent as he didn't dare say anything to provoke Raina even further. Raina stormed out of her room and spotted Jidwi with his bodyguard her eyes narrowing. 

 

Jidwi's bodyguard, Paoh, seeing an enraged young maiden, whispered "Nice knowing you, Your Majesty," before fleeing, desperate to save himself. Jidwi cursed as his only method of protection fled. Adopting a calm persona, he faced the furious Raina and nearly took a step back on seeing the rage on her face.

 

"Were you the one who decided to give my room a spring cleaning?" she asked through clenched teeth.

 

"Yes."

 

"Why on earth would you spend such a lot of gold needlessly when you could have donated it to the poor and needy if you had gold to flaunt?"

 

"Because I want to shower you in pretty things."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because I like you." At his response, Raina cuffed the back of his head. Her frighting aura slightly diminished when she had to tiptoe to do so but she couldn't care less. She couldn't believe how thick he was.

 

"If you really like me and want to win me over, get this in your head. Money can't buy love." With that piece of advice, she her heel, headed towards her room, determined to do something useful with the expensive cloth. 

 

 

Jidwi who watched her storm off said to himself, "Okay, no fancy stuff. Got it. Fighting!" in an attempt to encourage himself, his fist clenching in the air.

 

////////////////////////////

 

The next day, Raina was near the area where the clothes were hung out to dry, when she heard a peculiar sound. Peeking through a white sheet, she stifled a laugh as the comical sight of Seonu practicing the moves for the upcoming performance. He looked ridiculous. Moving the sheet that covered her from view, she cleared loudly and watched as Seonu froze before throwing down the wooden stick and pretending to be nonchalant. 

 

"W-What are you doing here?" he asked, looking everywhere except at her. 

"What are you doing here?" Raina countered with a slight smirk on her face. 

"Nothing."

"What do you mean nothing. I just saw you dancing like a headless chicken with two left feet. I could dance better that that."

"Oh really. Can you dance better than this?" he asked before grabbing the wooden staff from the floor and performing an unbelievably exaggerated version of the dance, causing Raina laugh out loud. 

 

"That. Is so provocative." she said in between giggles.  At that, Seonu cockily smirked and said, "It's not the moves that are alluring, it's me."

 

Seonu's arrogant statement brought another bout of laughter from Raina. Seonu watched as she rested her hands on her knees before wiping her tears of happiness away, unbelievably happy that he had made her laugh. That he was the reason of her happiness and to have Raina's bright smile flashed his way caused his heart to skip a beat. Once realising this, he quickly cast way these thoughts and stared at the still-laughing Raina, a soft smile etched on his face. 

 

//////////////////

 

 

Raina in her rooms, staring at the pink cloth that lay draped on the table. She had been deciding to make an outer robe for herself with the cloth as nobody was willing to buy it from her. She had already sold off the Western ornaments and trinkets. Getting to work, she smiled in satisfaction as she took in the finished product, a few hours later. Wearing the robe over her clothes, she twirled in front of her mirror, pleased. Unconsciously, her mind drifted to the giver of the gift, Jidwi. Realising who exactly she had been daydreaming about, she shrugged of the new robe and stored it away before exiting the room for some fresh air to clear her head. 

 

 

While walking around, enjoying the breeze, she came across a man who seemed somewhat familiar but she could not put her finger on it. He then turned and seemed startled, clutching his chest.  Immediately she steadied him, as she took in his condition. Guiding him to her quarters, she sat him down on a chair before she prepared a herbal tea. Once it was done, she poured a cup and handed it to the man who looked as if he had calmed down, slightly at least. 

 

She took a seat in front of him as he slowly sipped his tea. Once he finished, he placed the cup on the table and stared at her before saying, "So you are Raina?"

 

"How do you know my name?"

"Don't you remember me? I visited you from time to time when you were living with your mentor."

"Uncle Wooreuk?"

"Yes, dear. How's your mentor these days. Is he still struggling to get about?"

"He's dead." replied Raina, emotionless.

"I see. Pour soul, he suffered from birth  but maybe he's at peace."

 

There was a pregnant pause before Raina spoke. "Why are you here?"

"I am teaching the Hwarangs in the art of music. That reminds me, I noticed Seonu-rang has matured, thanks to you, I think?"

 

"How do you know Seonu, Uncle?" asked Raina and the reply was one she didn't expect. After a lengthy conversation with her uncle, she stumbled out of the room in a daze until she bumped into Him. Staring at Seonu, not noticing the bouquet of yellow chrysanthemums in his hands nor his hopeful, happy, nervous and expectant face, she asked him directly. 

 

"Who are you?"

 

 

 

//////////////////////////

 

 

So any guesses as to who the mentor is. No? I won't tell you. Yet. ANyway, read and review. Hope you enjoy. And for people who might be concerned over the scene with Raina and Seonu, where he says, 'it's me (that's alluring)' it's not weird because Seonu and Raina have never acted like siblings. She has never called him brother/orabeoni and he has never referred to her as his sister. In episode 7, when he asks for advice from suho on how to treat his sis, he asks advice on how to treat 'Raina'. So you can see that unconsciously both of them don't really consider themselves as siblings. Hope that explained it. (Okay, I realise that one scene from ep 7 is very contradictory but pls, ignore that)

 

Andrianna2016