Episode 10

Hwarang : A Different Narrative

 

 

Jidwi was scouring the grounds for Raina but even after a thorough search of the grounds, he hadn't once caught sight of her. Standing next to the tent where he had met with his mother, he was joined by Paoh who alerted him to his suspicions of Raina being kidnapped by the Queen's guard which correlated to when Jidiwi had seen the Commandant carrying a suspiciously large sack on his horse.  Jidwi took a step forward, about to storm to the place when he caught sight of a blue butterfly pin lying on the grass. Picking it up, he pocketed it and continued on his way to the Wolseong Palace, unheeding the words of his bodyguard. He was going to save Raina from his mother. He had to.

 

 

////////////////////

 

 

Raina was in the chambers of the Queen, a place she hadn't stepped foot in 12 years. Her face grim, she stared at the Queen who ordered the Commandant to kill her, ignoring all the things they had gone through. Raina couldn't believe that the Queen could forget their friendship in a minute but seeing the Commandant unsheathing his sword, she realised that this Queen Jisoo wasn't her Jisoo, the one she risked her life for. 

 

 

Without closing her eyes, Raina maintained her gaze with Jisoo even though her eyes were becoming blurry with tears, aware of the sword being raised and resigned to her fate when someone blocked the oncoming weapon with one of their own. Raina glanced up at Jidwi who looked thunderous and ordered the Commandant to kneel. 

 

"What do you think you're doing?" Jidwi seethed.

"I'm trying to protect you." The Queen replied. 

"This girl is one of my subjects and the sole citizen who can comfort the king of this nation so I will protect her."

 

 

Raina hardly took in his words, her mind was fixated on the memories she had shared with her Jisoo. She let herself be dragged out of the room by Jidwi and out of the palace. As they walked the empty streets lit with a couple of randomly placed lanterns, Raina was back into a memory. 

 

"I'm Raina. What's your name?"

"My name's Jisoo"

 

 

"Catch me if you can."

"That's not fair Rai. You're faster than me."

"I'm not that fast, it's just that you are slow."

"Yah!"

"Why? Can't face the truth?"

"Just wait until I catch you."

 

Laughter rang out in the grassy field as the two girls played together, forgetting their ranks as they smiled at each other, a glint of joy in their eyes. 

 

 

Snapping out of her reminiscing, Raina stared at Jidwi as they slowly walked back to Hwarangdo. 

 

"When you kissed me that night," Raina said, unaware that Jidwi had stopped in his track, his back facing her as she continued, "you only did it because I was the Lustful Student and what you told the Queen about me being the only citizen who can comfort you was just a ploy to save me, right?"

 

Rain watched as Jidwi slowly faced her, an undecipherable expression on his face.  Feeling slightly nervous, the words poured out of . "I mean, you were grateful once you find out who your supporter was, so to express that gratitude, you kissed me. It's not like you actually liked me or-" She was cut off by Jidwi who asked, "Do you really think that?"

 

"What else am I supposed to think?" At this point, she could feel the confusion and helplessness evident in her voice as the shock of all the events crashed on her, enveloping her in an emotional turmoil. 

 

"All of a sudden 6 handsome guys show an interest in me, the girl who know a man's body better than a man himself, the girl who doesn't act like a girl and I'm supposed to believe that it isn't a hoax. I've never even imagined having one person like me, let alone 6 people. What else can it be other than a ruse?"

 

A tear ran down her face as Raina stared at Jidwi, lost. She was finally expressing the inner turmoil she was facing and she did not know how he would react. She watched as he stepped closer towards her and raised his hand to her cheek, wiping her tears away with his thumb before he slowly leaned in and kissed her. This kiss was slow and gentle, reassuring her that his feeling weren't fake and Raina leaned into the kiss, her heart beating fast as she kissed him back. 

 

 

Jidwi slowly leaned out and smiled at her before fixing the blue butterfly pin he had pocketed, in Raina's hair. He then took her hand in his and they resumed walking back to Hwarangdo, exchanging glances as they did. Before they knew it they reached Jidwi's dorm. Raina had insisted on dropping him off because if they were caught, he wouldn't be pushed along with his roommates because she had some leeway as the resident physician.  Smiling at his unwillingness to let go of her hand, she slowly slipped her hand out of his and pushed him inside the room.

 

 

 Everyone was awake. They had been waiting for Jidwi while wondering where Raina had been when they were performing. When Jidwi finally stepped inside the room, he was followed by Raina. As soon as they saw her, they crowded around her. Raina smiled apologetically at them as she apologised for not being there for their performance. Detaching herself from the pouting Hansung who had attached himself to her, she left for her room, intending on getting some well-deserved sleep. 

 

 

 

 

///////////////

 

 

 

The next day was the Hwarang's day off. Suho, Yeol and Hansung were at Okta, enjoying their freedom when Hansung thoughtlessly remarked, "It's strange that he knows everything about Banryu except for the assault," after Suho defended Banryu, saying that it wasn't him who destroyed the instruments because Suho knew Banryu's giveaway when he was being wrongly accused. Yeol immediately clapped a hand over Hansung's mouth and warily glanced at Suho before glaring at Hansung threateningly.

 

 

Just then, Sooyeon burst in, stared at her brother with a cocked eyebrow, standing on one leg, did a once-over of the rest of the occupants of the room before whirling around and departing from the room without a word. Sumo's mind raced as to why his sister blatantly ignored him when his mind fixated on Sooyeon who had put her foot out when she had stared at him and he suddenly remembered. He remembered the night at Okta, getting drunk, overhearing the two men's conversation and tripping over Sooyeon's leg before passing out. 

 

 

Hansung and Yeol watched as Suho stood up slowly, an eerily calm expression on his face as he said, "I'm going to kill him. BANRYU!!!"

 

 

/////////////

 

 

Sooyeon had exited the room her brother and Raina's other love interests were in, as fast as possible. She was only in search of Banryu who she had decided to support in his attempts at winning Raina over. Ignoring the thunderous expression on his face, evident in his body posture as Banryu stormed out of his room, Sooyeon jumped in front of him, effectively startling him. Disregarding his bewildered expression laced with anger, she dragged him by the arm into a private room and closed the door. Facing him, she hurriedly said, "We don't have much time, I need you to answer one question. Do you truly like Raina?"

 

"Eh? Who are you?" Banryu asked, trying to stall for time.

"I'm Suho's sister and Raina's friend, Sooyeon. I want you to end up with Raina but before that I need to confirm whether your feelings for her are real."

"I do like Raina." Banryu said with conviction in his voice right when Suho burst in. 

 

"BANRYU. YOU!!" he yelled, "you corrupt my innocent sister and consort with her to win over the girl I like. Today you will die!" Suho ran at Banryu, tackled him to the floor, straddling him before  delivering a solid beating when Sooyeon, who had rolled her eyes at her brother's dramatic outburst, knocked Suho out with the aid of a kick aimed at his head, a handy move courtesy of Raina, exasperation clear on her face. She glared at Yeol and Hansung who had entered the room seconds after Suho did and had pathetically tried to stop him but had given up and watched as he had beaten Banryu up.

 

 

Kicking the unconscious form of her brother off the stunned Banryu, she helped him up and ushered him out of the door, past the shell-shocked Hansung and Yeol, who glanced at her in shock at seeing a small girl take out her brother in one move. Sooyeon then closed the door and stood next to the quiet duo who slowly edged away from her as she gazed at her brother, pityingly.

 

"I don't know what she sees in you." 

 

///////////////

 

Raina was with her horse in the empty, grassy field as she pondered over the sudden hatred Jisoo was directing at her. She had spent the whole day in the fields as it was the Hwarang's day off meaning that she had no duties whatsoever. Absentmindedly feeding her horse an apple, the wind blowing her hair back, she was interrupted from her thoughts by the sound of a galloping horse. Turning around, she was met with the sight of Yeol riding a beautiful white mare, looking amazing with the sun setting in the background. Raina watched as he drew closer and stopped his horse next to hers, his chest heaving slightly as he gazed down at her. 

 

"Want to race?"

 

Smiling at him in answer, she hoisted herself onto her horse and was off, digging her heels into her horse's sides before Yeol had even nudged his horse in the sides. Laughing out loudly as she felt the wind against her face, her hair flying behind her, she felt at peace, unaware of the besotted gaze that Yeol was giving her after he finally managed to catch up with her. Together they raced against the wind until night fell. 

 

 

Lighting a fire with the aid of a couple of sticks, Raina leaned back against the tree in satisfaction as she warmed her hands while Yeol who sat next to her, ate some wild berries. They were still in the fields altogether but this time, without their horses. Raina was gazing at the starry, moonlit sky in wonder when she suddenly spoke up. 

 

 

"Isn't it beautiful?" she asked her companion but received no response. Turning her head, she saw Yeol asleep on her shoulder. Smiling softly as she took in his sleeping face she slowly traced his features, from his eyebrows to his nose to his cheeks to his chin, lingering on his lips before backing off, thinking she had woken up. When he did not move, Raina relaxed and made herself comfortable against the tree bark before closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep. 

 

 

/////////////////

 

 

The next morning, Suho was glaring at Sooyeon throughout breakfast as his father fussed over him for wearing a neck brace. As soon as breakfast was over, Suho pounced on his sister who had been trying to escape before he had noticed. Grabbing her in a headlock, he asked, "Why are you protecting Banryu?"

 

Sooyeon elbowed him in the gut before slipping out of his hold. "Because I want him and Raina to end up together." she hollered at her doubled-over brother before storming out of the general vicinity. Suho stared after her retreating figure in shock, a hand on his neck as an ache began developing at the base of his neck due to his surprise. He couldn't believe his ears. 

 

Banryu liked Raina? Since when? 

 

////////////////////

 

 

Raina had returned back to Hwarangdo the next day with Yeol. Entering her chambers after separating from Yeol who she had spend the night with, she attempted to divert her attention from his and focus on something entirely unrelated but failed abysmally. Her mind kept returning to the previous night where she had traced Yeols's face, his handsome features so tantalisingly close, no matter how hard she tried. Sighing, she flopped onto her bed and screamed into her pillow, kicking her bed as she did. 

 

 

Some time had passed before the door creaked open and Raina sat up as Hansung bounded in, smiling cheerfully.

 

"I hurt my foot." he said as Raina looked at him disbelievingly and was about to call him out on his bluff but before she know it, she was massaging his feet while wondering how the innocent little maknae had gotten so good at puppy-dog faces that one could not not give into. 

 

"Are you really a half-blood like my brother?" Hansung asked all of a sudden.

"Isn't everybody a half-blood when you think about it? Half-mother, half-father."

"Our grandfather dotes on me but hates my brother just as much as he likes me because Dansae-hyung is a half-breed. I like my brother more than Grandfather. I was sad that he didn't choose me but at least he ended up with Seonu-hyung. Seonu-hyung's cool and nice." said Hansung with a cute,childish expression.

 

Raina smiled at him endearingly as he stared at her, resting his chin on his hand when Raina snapped back to reality. "I have to go Hansung-ah. I need to take these books back to the library." she said, patting the huge pile of books that lay on her table. Hansung smiled at her before grabbing the books and rushing out, leaving Raina to follow him. As they walked towards the library, Raina continuously trying to snatch the books back from Hansung who kept on evading her attempts by holding the book pile above his head which caused Raina to curse her height as she was shorter than a boy younger than her, when Hansung was called off by a friend. Raina took the books out of Hansung's hands and smiled at Hansung who waved at her until he was out of view when she nearly stumbled into the king. 

 

 

Without glancing at Jidwi who had taken half of the books into his hands, Raina continued on her journey towards the library, aware of him falling into step beside her as he purposely brushed their free hands together before slowly interlocking their fingers together. A small smile crept onto her face as she tightened her hold on his hand as they walked into the library where she let go off his hand. Finding the right place, Raina began placing the books in their original place as Jidwi stared at her through the space in the bookshelf as she organised the books. Moving onto an empty shelf, Raina found herself staring at Jidwi who, using this opportunity, kissed her though the shelf. Raina kissed him back briefly before breaking off the kiss as she stared at Jidwi in surprise at the sudden bout of affection when he spoke seriously. 

 

"I have never experienced the feeling of having someone truly know me. You do know that you are unbelievably important and precious to me, right?"

 

Seeing Raina hesitantly nod, Jidwi broke into a smile. "Good." He said before untucking a couple of strands of hair and letting it frame her face as he stared at her. Unbeknownst to either of them, they were not alone. Suho had been there to witness their intimate exchange, his fists clenched at what he had chanced upon on his search for Raina to have his neck checked. He had competition and boy, was it going to be a one-hell-of-a battle. 

 

 

///////////////////////////

 

 

Raina met up with Sooyeon later. They were having one of their usual over-the-wall conversations when Sooyeon suddenly burst a question on her. 

 

"Who do you like?"

"From who?"

"You know whom I'm talking about. Jidwi, Seonu, Yeol, Hansung, Banryu and my brother."

"Honestly, I don't know."

"Wonderful. Why can't my life be as exciting as your's? Anyway, just so you know, I'm rooting for Banryu."

 

"Can we talk about something els?"

"Okay. Sooo... have you done it with anyone?"

"SOOYEON!!!"

"Geez woman, calm down. I think you blew my eardrum out."

"How.. You... I... Honestly..."

"I know, I'm so awesome that you've lost you ability to speak coherently."

"GAH!!"

 

//////////////////////

 

After lunch was over, Raina ran into Seonu who looked as if he was about to make a run for it when she opened . 

 

"Do you want to practice archery with me?"

 

///

 

 

Arriving at the archery fields, Raina mounted her horse along with Seonu on his and they began their practice session, Raina correcting Seonu's posture as he held the bow while trying to stay seated on the slightly moving horse. She gestured for him to do it like she had shown him earlier and watched as he nocked an arrow and let it fly. Raina observed as it hit the outer-most ring. They had along way to go. 

 

 

Hours later, Seonu's aim and precision was much better. Raina let out a tired sigh as she found herself entranced by a familiar blue butterfly when she heard a horse's neigh and a thump. Dismounting her horse, she approached the collapsed Seonu and felt his neck for a pulse. Feeling none, she began performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Compressing his chest twice, she did the mouth-to mouth seal and blew in air while pinching his nose, in an effort to revive his lungs but to no avail. She again repeated the cycle but she couldn't find a pulse. Her frame crumpled as she realised that he was dead. Seonu was dead. An angry tear slid down her cheek and before she knew it, she was ranting, her voice becoming hoarse due to the amount of emotion that was in her words.

 

 

"You can't die. You, are you really going to leave me? I f you're gone, what am I supposed to do? Even though you were my brother in everybody's eyes, I had these feelings and I knew it couldn't happen. Not because you were my brother, you never were, but because you are Aro's brother and now that I  know that you're not, I don't know whether to feel relieved or saddened. Because know it's okay to like you but-" 

 

Raina was cut off when Seonu, who had gradually regained consciousness in time to hear her confession, kissed her.

 

 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f664335415869584c4834715854413d3d2d3337353032323636382e313461363938646433313762326565653832363937393036313930352e6a7067    

 

 

//////////////

 

 

 

oKAY. i UPDATE EP 10 FINALLY. HOPE YOU LIKE IT. AND THE ABOVE IS HOW THE KISS SCENE HAPPENS AS i DID NOT WANT TO DESCRIBE HOW IT HAPPENED. BELOW IS ARO FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT KNOW what SHE LOOKS LIKE. 

 

 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f67536259577a7365566c5f5567673d3d2d3337353032323636382e313461363939313239353337616137643734373439373337383832322e6a7067

 

Anyone noticed any BTS or any other references?