Episode 3

Hwarang : A Different Narrative

Raina glanced back at the warehouse , wondering whether it really was the robe that she had made. Shaking her head to clear thoughts, she continued on her way, shrugging it off as a mistake on her part.

Arriving at Daiseo where she was supposed to report her findings, she wondered who the person who wanted to know about the capital's young nobles, was. Entering the premises she was hurriedly escorted to a private room by Pi Jooki where an slightly old man sat. Glancing at him, she cleared , placed her notebook on the table and held out her hand for the money. Raina received 4 silver pieces and as she stored them in her bag, she felt the stranger staring at her. Ignoring his inquisitive gaze, she nodded at Pi Jooki and exited the room without a word.

 

^/// $^

 

Master Wehwa raised an eyebrow as the tea-shop owner cane in with a young lady. In his eyes she looked very uncomfortable in her dress although she didn't show it outwardly. He watched as she placed a notebook on the table, received her pay and left with a nod at Jooki.

As she exited the room, Master Wehwa found himself intrigued. The girl had held herself with confidence without being arrogant and there weren't many women in Silla who had that quality. His eyes then fell on the notebook. Flicking through it, the pages stopped at a particular page. His eyes widened at what was written there.

"Who is she?" He asked Jooki, who had been trying to peer over his shoulder, without turning back.

Jooki hurried forward and beckoned him closer. Master Wehwa obliged curiously. "About Miss Raina, not many know this but...."  As Jooki continued his eyes widened and a grin formed at the new information.

 

"What does she do for a living?"

"She's training under Master Ahnji as a doctor and is on par with him."

He then stared at the page in her notebook, his mind forming one very advantageous plan for Hwarang. 'So you're that person, eh? And a rising physician as well? Who would have guessed?'

///^^^^^^//////

 

Raina walked through the market, greeting the vendors as she went, wondering what she would spend her money on. One shop in fact caught her eye. Stopping in front of it, she was awed by a hair accessory that was displayed. It was a blue butterfly with black bordering.

"How much is this?" She asked the old lady who owned the shop. Surprisingly it was quite cheap. Handing over the amount she smiled at the lady and placed it carefully in her hair. Her reflection in the mirror that was there looked really nice. Smiling in satisfaction, she resumed walking back home.

When Raina was only a couple of feet away from her house, she stooped in her tracks when she saw the guy from the warehouse. Squinting to make sure, her eyes widened in disbelief. The maroon robe that he was wearing was the robe she had stitched for Seonu, she was sure of it.

Striding over to him, she pulled on his arm and turned him around before grabbing his collar and examining it. On seeing the name that had been sewn, she gripped him by his collar and asked.

"Who are you?"

He opened his mouth to reply when his eyes traveled down and Raina felt insulted.

"You don't reply but instead, stare at my chest, mouth-open?" She said raising her balled fist and punched him. She watched as he fell to the floor and lay motionless when she heard the voice of her father.

"Why did you punch your brother on his arrival?"

"My b-brother?" Raina said in shock as she watched her father carry the stranger to the room that hadn't been used in a long time. Seonu's room.

He laid him down on the floor and turned to look at her.

"He is your brother from now on. Look after him. Make sure that he doesn't get into trouble."  With that said he exited the room. Raina stared at the man, if he was her brother, Seonu she wondered about what had happened in the morning and what her father had said.

Dismissing it as a misunderstanding, she left the room to prepare some food and medicine. Greeting her brother by punching him was surely a new way to welcome a long-lost brother.

///////////////

After a hour of tedious work, Raina carried a tray with some food as well as a tonic to her brother's room. As she struggled to open the door with both her hands full, the door was suddenly opened and her father stepped out. He looked at the table and smiled before moving out of her way so she could go in. 

Entering the room, she placed the table on the floor without looking at him. "Eat" she said as she seated herself on the floor. Leaning against the wall, she continued "I'm not leaving until you eat so you might as well eat."

Raina saw him pick up the spoon from the corner of her eye. Shifting in her place she patiently waited till he finished eating. Once he had moved the table to a side she opened .

"So you're my brother, Seonu? Where have you been all this time" she said as a tear ran down her face. Raina stared at Seonu, until her vision became completely blurry. Tears ran down her cheeks as she sobbed.

Raina heard him move and felt him wrap his arms around her, holding her as she cried. She continued to cry, mourning all the wasted time and she missed her best friend's presence.

'Aro, this is you're brother.'

She continued to sob while he held her.

"I came back."


As Seonu held the crying girl in his arms, he vowed to protect her. Protect Mak Moon's sister. He had promised.


/////^/^/^^^^/

 

In the morning, Raina found herself awake and staring at the ceiling if her room. Sitting up, the blanket fell as she wondered how she got here. Last she remembered was crying in Seonu's arms.

'Did he carry me to my room by chance?'

Deciding to ask him later, she exited her room to make breakfast.

/////////////^:///^^^/////

As her father left the room after eating, Raina found herself staring at her brother. Her eyes trace over his feature, from his hair to his nose to his lips.

'Aro would be so proud if she saw her brother.'

"So handsome" she said accidentally out loud. She was startled out of her thoughts when he spoke suddenly.  

"Don't you have anything better to do than stare at me?"

"Who was staring at whom?" she asked scoffing slightly.

"You were staring at me because you finally realized how handsome I am, isn't that so?"

 

"Don't flatter yourself. You may have a good face but you're personality is the complete opposite."

 

Raina watched as his spoonful of rice paused mid-air.  "Just eat." he said with his mouth full as he sulkily ate his rice. She grinned at his pouting face. The food was good.

 

 

/////////////////////////////////////

A couple of hours after breakfast, Raina was treating an old patient. After his treatment was over she bade him a safe journey when her smiled was wiped off her face when she felt someone behind her.

"What do you want?"


It was the guy fron the door maze. He suddenly started coughing pathetically and grabbed her hand and placed it on his forehead.

 

"Don't I have a fever?" He said in between coughs.  Raina smiled at him sweetly, as she removed her hand from his forehead.


"You do have a slight fever and I have the perfect thing to stop it from becoming worse." She said as she walked to the table where a boxes of herbs lay. Grabbing a few leaves, she walked up to him.


"Now that I think about it, maybe I was mistaken. I'm feeling perfectly fine already."


"But what about that coughing fit earlier? These leaves are really good for any type of sicknesses, even pseudo ones." Raina said as she forced his mouth open and chucked the leaves in. Closing his mouth, she made sure that he chewed all of it and swallowed it, not taking her eyes off him until he showed her his empty mouth.

"What was that? It tastes horrible!."


"Something good for you. Anyway, why are you here?" She asked, sitting down on the table to check the herbs that had just arrived. He followed her and laid down on the table preventing her from working.

"What do you want?" Raina asked as she stared into his coal black eyes.


"Aren't you going to see the King's birthday parade?"

"Why would I go to see the Queen's parade?"


At his questioning gaze, she continued.


"The Queen who reigns, her pseudo-parade for the King's birthday.  Personally I pity the King."

"It's his fault for being a coward." He said with an unusual expression on his face.

"It's not a sin to be young and weak. It's inevitable at one point in anyone's life. Imagine the powerlessness that he felt when he had to go into hiding and-"


"Do you dare to think that you know how that feels?" He said sitting up and invading her personal space.


'It's not your fault. Never forget that.

Mother, don't leave me. Please.

Mother! Mother!'

Closing her eyes in order to prevent thinking of those painful memories, she opened her eyes after clearing her mind.


"Do not assume that there isn't anybody with more problems than you, or the King. Everyone has problems and things that they wish weren't so. Do not presume to think that you know me."

With that said she stood up as he backed out of her bubble, and left for her room, discretely wiping the sole tear than ran down her cheek.

 

 

/////////////


Night had fallen as Raina paced in front if the palace doors. She had figured out from the people talking, that Seonu had attacked the Queen's bodyguard and had been thrown in jail.

Wondering whether or not to reveal herself to the Queen, she came to a decision and was about to demand to be allowed to enter when the doors opened and a tall figure exited the palace.  

 

Raina ran up to him and gripped him by the shoulders and a torrent of questions were about to pour out from when Seonu collapsed on her. She held him as his head lolled on her shoulder, his body leaning against hers.

 

 

////////////////


Raina worriedly looked over her shoulder at Seonu. After his fainting episode she had draped him over her back and was currently piggybacking him home. Unfortunately for her, he was taller than her and was heavier than her meaning that she would end up with a horrible back ache the next day. Shifting him a bit so that he wasn't falling off, she continued on her tortuous  journey back home.

 

Arriving home she carried him to his room and placed him on the floor. Seeing as he was still out of it, she made herself comfortable against the wall and drifted off to sleep.

 

 


In the morning, Raina woke up with a stiff neck. Massaging the back of her neck, her eyes widened as she saw Seonu start to stir. She immediately went to his side and anxiously watched as his eyes fluttered open.


"What happened to my father. Is he alright? Are you alright?" She asked impatiently.


His reply made her heave a sigh of relief. After informing him that she would bring him some food to eat, she left the room. Outside, she wiped her tears as she took a deep breath.


She didn't loose anyone. She wouldn't loose anyone. She couldn't afford to. Not again.

 

///////////^^///#^


Sorry for being late. Hope you like it

Andrianna2016