Merry Christmas

Blue Christmas, Baby

The door to the restaurant swung open and Youngbae didn't even look up. Jiyong glided in and sat down on the small stool at the bar. He removed his sunglasses and hat, pulled out a cigarette, and lit it with the candle which burned on the counter before him. Youngbae set a glass down in front of him and filled it a quarter of the way with tequila.

"Evening, Jiyong."

"Merry Christmas Eve."

"What brings the illustrious peaceminusone in this evening?" Youngbae asked.

Jiyong tapped some ash into the tray and took a gulp of the tequila. "I can't come see my best friend?"

"I thought you were going to a gala tonight?"

"I did, but it was boring as . Besides, there wasn't anyone there I liked."

Youngbae chuckled. "Okay, then."

Jiyong on his cigarette, pulling out his phone to check it. Youngbae returned to the small kitchen not ten feet away and turned over the pork he was grilling.

 

Jiyong was on his second cigarette and another glass of tequila when the door opened again. No one had come in and the other patrons had left, leaving Jiyong the only one there. It was almost midnight on Christmas Eve, so it was unusual for anyone else to come in.

He looked back and laid eyes on Seunghyun, who carried a wrapped rectangular package under his arm. The two made eye contact and their blood ran cold.

Seunghyun sat down two seats away from Jiyong as Youngbae came out.

"If it isn't TTTOP," Youngbae said, "Good to see you. Merry Christmas."

"Almost Christmas." Seunghyun offered the wrapped package. "A gift for you and the family."

"Thanks, man."

Youngbae pulled the package over the counter and went to set it in the back. Jiyong stabbed out his cigarette as Seunghyun went to use the bathroom.

"What the is he doing here?" Jiyong whisper-yelled when Youngbae came back.

"He came to give me a Christmas gift. You just saw."

Seunghyun came back out, still wearing his coat. He cast Jiyong a glance. Youngbae set out a tall glass and tipped some wine into it.

"Stay awhile," he said.

Jiyong gave him a look of disbelief. Seunghyun seemed unsure, but nodded and shrugged his coat off. He set it down on an empty stool and sat down. He sipped on the wine.

Jiyong pulled out another cigarette, but realized the candle had gone out and he'd forgotten his lighter. He gave an aggravated sigh.

Seunghyun leaned over and offered a light, clicking the lighter with his thumb. Jiyong looked at him, sighed again, and leaned in to light his cigarette.

"Thank you."

Youngbae took another piece ham out of the pan and set it on a plate. He came back to the counter and poured Jiyong wine instead of tequila.

"You guys hungry? What do you wanna eat?"

"Sushi," Jiyong said.

"Truffles," Seunghyun said at the same time.

Both fell quiet as they looked at one another, cheeks burning. Youngbae shook his head.

"This isn't some five-star gourmet restaurant. Pick something I can actually make."

Jiyong looked away from Seunghyun and took a drag off the cigarette.

"Ramen," Seunghyun said.

Youngbae looked at Jiyong and he gave a nod to agree. Youngbae smiled and set to work.

"Where's Seungri tonight?" Seunghyun asked.

"He's at home with the baby."

Jiyong coughed and sipped on the wine. "Sorry we're keeping you here."

"I was going to be open anyway. I'll go home after you leave."

Jiyong and Seunghyun nodded. Youngbae sliced some of his ham he'd fried.

"Where's Minseok on this merry night?" He called.

Jiyong glanced at Seunghyun. Seunghyun took a sip and got out his own cigarette before responding.

"He's with the manny."

"You gave him to Daesung on Christmas Eve?" Jiyong said sharply.

"Yeah? He said he didn't mind. I needed to go out for a bit. It's not like I won't be home for him." He lit his cigarette.

"Daesung has his own family to be with."

Seunghyun rolled his eyes. "He said he didn't mind. It's just a couple of hours." He blew out a breath and looked at Youngbae.

Youngbae offered a soft smile and motioned to Jiyong with his knife before going back to chopping ingredients.

"What time do you want to pick him up tomorrow?" Seunghyun asked.

Jiyong sighed and turned over his phone to check the time. "Do you think ten is too early?"

"You know he'll be up at six to open his gifts anyway."

Jiyong laughed. "Yeah. He's always so eager."

Youngbae smiled as he listened to them banter, checking on how the noodles boiled while measuring how much of each item to put in.

"I heard you were appearing at a gala tonight. Lots of posters everywhere with your logo."

"I went for an hour or so, but it was a snooze fest," Jiyong said, "I saw one of your artworks sold for three hundred thousand last week. Congrats."

"Thanks," Seunghyun said, grinding out his cigarette.

Youngbae brought them their ramen. The noodles were perfect consistency and it had pieces of ham, green onion, and fish cakes. He refilled their wine glasses.

"Ramen with wine. Aren't we so classy?" Jiyong said with a laugh, putting out his cigarette.

"Just shut up and eat," Youngbae said.

They began to eat. Seunghyun's phone rang and he answered, but it was for a Facetime call.

"Hi," Daesung said with a wave. "Minseok asked to call and say good night."

"He should be in bed already!"

"You try calming down a five-year-old who wants Santa to come already."

"Put him on."

Daesung's face disappeared and that of a five-year-old child's came on the screen. He grinned and gave a little wave before on his thumb.

"Hey, munchkin. How come you're still up?"

"I don't wanna shweep, daddy."

"Well, you gotta or Santa won't come with all your gifts!" Seunghyun grinned and then tilted his phone to show Jiyong. "Look! Appa is here at Uncle Bae's restaurant. If you don't go to bed, he can't come pick you up in the morning!"

"Appa!!" Minseok wailed.

Jiyong grinned and leaned over the seats towards the phone. "Hi, my baby boy! I miss you so much. I can't wait to see you tomorrow. You better sleep soon or I'll have to wait."

Minseok shook the phone excitedly, blurring his image, and Jiyong laughed. "Appa! I want Ai."

Jiyong laughed harder. "Auntie Dami will have him tomorrow. Don't you worry. But listen to daddy and go to bed now."

"Otay. But only 'cause I wub you."

Jiyong beamed and waved good bye to him. "I love you, Minseok. See you in the morning."

Seunghyun angled the phone back at himself. "Be good for Daesung. Sleep well. I'll be home soon."

"Bye, daddy. Bye, appa. I wub you!!"

The video call disconnected and Seunghyun chuckled, putting his phone away.

"He's really the cutest," Jiyong said.

"Five is a good age," he agreed.

Jiyong held up his glass. "To our son."

"To our son."

Seunghyun and Jiyong toasted and drained their glasses. Youngbae leaned on the counter.

"It's almost midnight. Last call," he said.

They nodded and Seunghyun motioned to their glasses. Youngbae filled them up one more time and put the bottle of wine away. He shut off most of the lights in the kitchen and waited. Jiyong and Seunghyun finished their bowls of ramen after a few minutes.

"That was delicious, Bae. Thank you."

"You're welcome." He looked up at the clock. "Oh, look. It's midnight. Merry Christmas."

Jiyong turned to look at Seunghyun. "Merry Christmas, baby."

Seunghyun chuckled. He stood and slid his coat on. He squeezed Jiyong's shoulder.

"Merry Christmas. I'll see you in the morning."

He left the restaurant then. Jiyong watched him go, then got up and put his hat on. He offered Youngbae a smile.

"Merry Christmas. Thanks for feeding me. See you tomorrow maybe?"

"Yeah. Get home safe."

Jiyong nodded and left quietly.

 

When he arrived home, he found a package waiting at his doorstep. The tall, thin thing sat there. Jiyong knew what it was and had he not lived in a private penthouse apartment complex, he'd have been angry it'd been left for him to return to. He unlocked his door and carried it inside. Despite its size, it weighed virtually nothing.

He peeled the wrapping off it and laid eyes on the artwork. In the corner, the name was signed precisely in all capitals in white: TTTOP.

He traced his fingers over the paint splatters which littered the canvas with a small smile. He then carried the canvas further into his apartment and hung it on the wall, where he had cleared a spot the week before when he'd learned he'd won it in the auction.

Once it was straight and centered, Jiyong watered his small Christmas tree and arranged Minseok's gifts for the next morning. A single gift for Seunghyun sat among them and Jiyong ignored it. He'd tried to resist getting him anything at all, but it was hard.

His phone rang and he wondered who would be calling him that late at night on Christmas. It was his manager, Soonho.

"Hello?" He answered.

"Jiyong, one of your paintings sold at the gala tonight. Why weren't you there?"

He bit his lip and made his way to his bedroom.

"I was there, but it got boring and I left. I didn't think anything would sell."

"Well, it did. Sold for three hundred thousand."

"Wow. My biggest sale," Jiyong said.

"Yeah! This is great, Jiyong. Your street art is finally making its way."

"Yeah. Thanks for giving me a call. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas."

Jiyong hung up and lay back on his bed. He'd barely toed off his socks and thrown his hat aside before he fell asleep.

 

Jiyong woke up and went to pick up Minseok at ten. He knocked on Seunghyun's door. The door swung open and revealed their five-year-old all ready for him, dressed in a Christmas sweater and shorts. Holly was threaded into his hair on one side.

"Appa!!" he yelled excitedly.

Jiyong laughed as Minseok ran to him and hugged his legs, standing on his feet. Seunghyun came to the door then, also wearing a Christmas sweater and pajama pants. A pair of antlers were atop his head.

"Merry Christmas," he said in greeting.

"Merry Christmas."

"Want to come in for a while?"

Jiyong nodded. Minseok rushed back in ahead of them. Seunghyun shut the door behind him.

The living room was in disarray from unwrapping gifts and Minseok was smashing the paper as he walked through it, picking up gifts he'd dropped aside in favor of the next. Christmas music played on the stereo. Jiyong smiled at the sight.

"Is there a reason he's wearing shorts?"

"I insisted he put pants on, but he kept telling me no. He wanted to wear his tall socks and shorts and Christmas sweater. He was very particular," Seunghyun explained with a laugh. "Would you like something to drink? I made cocoa."

"Sure."

Seunghyun went to get him a cup. Minseok ran over and grabbed hold of Jiyong's hand, shaking it to get attention.

"Appa, Daddy bought me a coffee shop!"

Jiyong laughed and was led over to the play toy coffee shop, complete with plastic coffee pot, table, and cups.

"Pretty cool," Jiyong said.

Seunghyun came back with a mug for him and offered it to Jiyong. He took it and drank, watching how Minseok grabbed his other gifts to show him.

Seunghyun had gotten him a lot of books and art supplies, so he could draw and paint. He'd also gotten clothes. Jiyong was thankful Seunghyun had heeded Jiyong's warnings on what he was going to get him, so there would be no duplicates.

Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" began to play. It had always been one of Jiyong's favorites. Minseok dropped all his gifts and ran over to Seunghyun, pulling on his hands. Seunghyun laughed and offered both, beginning to dance with the child. Jiyong grinned at the sight. It felt like a normal Christmas.

After a minute or so, Minseok ran over and asked Jiyong to dance. He got up and danced with his son, who stood on his feet so Jiyong could do all the work.

Once Minseok tired of switching between them over the course of two songs, he dragged them towards one another.

"Now you dance."

Jiyong looked at Seunghyun and Seunghyun nodded. Seunghyun took hold of his hand and as they got into position, Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas" came on. Jiyong and Seunghyun danced slowly to the song. Jiyong's head lay against Seunghyun's shoulder as they swayed. His eyes shut as he tried to ignore the lyrics and implications.

Seunghyun was fighting dirty.

Minseok clapped beside them, bringing Jiyong out of his thoughts. The child wedged himself between them and they laughed. He stood on Jiyong's feet and hugged on Seunghyun's legs. They swayed in place in fear of disrupting their son too much.

"This kid," Seunghyun whispered with a laugh.

Jiyong nodded. "Gee. Wonder where he gets it from."

Seunghyun offered him a smile and if he hadn't been wearing reindeer antlers, Jiyong would have swooned.

"We should probably get going," Jiyong said.

He pulled away carefully. Seunghyun nodded. He left the living room as Minseok spun around in circles before crashing into Jiyong's legs.

"Can you go get your shoes on for me?" Jiyong asked.

Minseok nodded and ran to the entryway. Seunghyun came back carrying a small backpack.

"All his stuff he needs is in here. He wouldn't listen to me that he didn't need another toothbrush."

"Did you pack Cola?"

"Of course. Minseok would never let me forget his favorite stuffed dog."

Jiyong took the backpack. Seunghyun offered him a card then.

"Merry Christmas, baby."

Jiyong flushed and quickly accepted the envelope. He slipped it into his pocket and felt the wrapped gift for Seunghyun he'd brought with him. He pulled it out and offered it to him. Seunghyun took it without a word, but didn't open it.

They walked to the front door together, where Minseok was finishing tying the laces of his shoes. He stood up.

"Say goodbye to daddy."

"Bye, daddy."

Minseok hopped onto Seunghyun's feet and hugged his legs. He then went to Jiyong and waved at Seunghyun from there.

Seunghyun ruffled his hair. "I'll see you in a week or so, munchkin. Be good."

"He'll be back in no time," Jiyong said.

"I know. Have a merry Christmas together. I'll see you on New Year’s."

Jiyong nodded and smiled. "Bye, Seunghyun."

"Bye."

Jiyong held Minseok's hand as they walked out to the car. Seunghyun watched from the doorway.

"Appa, will you wear a Santa hat today?"

"Sure, baby boy. I have one at home."

"Auntie Dami will bring Ai?"

Jiyong laughed. "Yup. Soon as we get home."

He opened up the car and put Minseok in his car seat, buckling him in carefully. He got in the driver's seat and turned the engine on, letting the heater start to run so it could get warm.

He pulled the envelope out of his pocket and opened it up. There was a gift card for his favorite art supply store, but that wasn't all. There was a letter which thanked Seunghyun for supporting the artist peaceminusone by purchasing one of his pieces. Listed below was the piece he'd bought and how much he'd spent. Three hundred thousand.

Jiyong felt his cheeks go red. He looked toward the doorway and found Seunghyun still there, leaning comfortably. Jiyong nodded his head. Seunghyun smiled and waved. Seunghyun hadn't opened his gift yet, but Jiyong had given him paintbrushes and his own receipt of buying Seunghyun's painting which had been delivered. It made Jiyong think that something did still linger between them, aside from their child.

"Ready to go home, baby boy?" Jiyong asked Minseok.

"Yeah!"

Jiyong put the car in drive and saw Seunghyun shut his front door as he pulled away from the curb.

Christmas had turned out much better than he hoped. And best of all, a new sense of hope for the future had alighted in his heart. But for the time being, he couldn't wait to get home and continue to spoil their child rotten.