Kiss the cold away

Once upon a fairytale

Characters: (cursed)prince!Yoongi & princess OC ft. Snow Queen Elsa

Setting: based on Andersen’s Snow Queen with characters of Frozen

Genre: angst (but nobody dies because of that cliché thing called true love)

Warning: -

Words: 4630

Summary: Being cold doesn't mean you can't have a warm heart.

Notes:  a.k.a what if Elsa turned evil and became the Snow Queen feared by everyone? And yes, Daegumor is the fairytale kingdom name of Daegu I made up. Also, this is not the end, more fairytales aus are coming!

Dedicated to maysatt who requested a Frozen AU with Yoongi, I hope you liked it! ^^


In Arendelle, the winter is never-ending.

The snow hasn’t melt for a year now and the always cold weather has created a pattern of chilly days and even more freezing nights. Poverty, hunger and fear lace through people’s lives. All blamed on their ill-fated country with an incompetent child leader. A princess who was never supposed to rule but has no choice but to wear the crown after her elder sister, the rightful heir of the throne ran away last year. Only a few know the true story of Queen Elsa’s disappearance and they stay silent. So with time, the rumours are getting wilder and wilder until nobody knows anymore what the truth is. Why would they care anyway? It doesn’t change anything.

Arendelle’s promising days are long gone, now the kingdom is nothing more than a landscape of frozen rivers and snow-coated mountains in the midst of thick fog. As this bitterly and heartlessly cold season crept into the heart of the once flourishing country, every ally turned their back on them, leaving Arendelle behind to survive on its own. So when a foreign delegation arrives to make a business trade favourable for both parties, people get hopeful. Commoners greet the majestic ship with grand celebration, gold and jewels as gifts, cheering for the arriving young prince and his people.

Daegumor, a sunny and prosperous country from the South, doesn’t seem to mind the bad talk about the once great kingdom. The royal guest is the Crown Prince himself, a young and fine man already of age but still unmarried. It’s not a secret that Princess Anna’s people, especially her advisors want her to marry a prince, someone exactly like him before her coronation on her 18th birthday but she’s madly and stupidly in love with a poor ice harvester. Still, people hope endlessly that maybe things will change now because of the attendance of the southern kingdom’s heir.

Prince Yoongi makes his way off the ship with such grace nobody dares to doubt his blue blood. The end of his dress coat trails behind him as he strides down the ramp, finally setting his foot on the frosty but steady ground. His midnight blue uniform - made of the finest velvet of the seven seas - hugs his wide shoulders and the golden buttons shine in the pale sunlight. His eyes, much like to his hair, are dark as black diamonds but hooded because of the intensity of white all around.

“Welcome in Arendelle, Your Highness. I hope your voyage went smoothly without any inconvenience,” Princess Anna lunges forward to greet him personally as the carriages behind them are getting ready to take leave.

Anna’s teal dress and strawberry-blonde hair in a bun make her outstanding as if she was the first snowdrop to grow once the winter passed. She has a bright smile on her face but sadness still swims in her turquoise blue eyes. So much pain for someone of such a tender age, so much responsibility to carry on such fragile shoulders.

“It was alright, thank you. Please, do call me by my name for the sake of our kingdoms’ friendship,” the young man, who also cannot be more than twenty-five, already speaks like a king, politely but prideful. His stern look doesn’t change at all but his deep voice is as gentle as musicians’ fingers on their beloved instrument. There’s a subtle, only slightly noticeable accent between his vowels that gives away he’s not around from here yet it doesn’t sway his confidence. The small smile forming in the corner of his mouth is reserved yet charming as he greets her. “Princess Anna.”

The heiress can’t help but blush as the prince takes her gloved hands in his own and bends down to kiss it out of courtesy. It only lasts a few second but the ravishingly handsome, raven haired royal manages to take her breathe away.

“Let me introduce you my fiancée,” Yoongi steps aside so that a girl his age could step forward from behind him. She bows her head politely to the soon-to-be queen of Arendelle and Anna does the same marvelling at the older princess’ beauty, her silent elegance and the soft fabric and unique style of her dress. Everyone heard the stories of the lovely princess who was promised to the Crown Prince but the gossips never once mentioned the longing she has in her heart for him. But the way she looks at him, like he’s her whole world, tells it all.

They change a few more words of formality until one servant warns them about the approaching nightfall and ushers them into the carriages. The newly arrived delegation doesn’t understand what the fuss is about but the temperature drops several degrees as soon as the Sun settles down and the freezing cold bites into their flesh. None of them comment on the unrealistically sudden change and Anna doesn’t go into further explanation.

Only the sparkling stars dotted on the nightmare dark sky warn them but nobody listens. Nobody ever does.

 

During the following days the business meetings go well. The consensual deal of trade agreement comes to existence soon enough but the delegation’s stay in the kingdom has been extended because of an unexpected snow storm raging along the shores. No ship can leave the bay safely until it passes.

However, the prince doesn’t seem to be too bothered by it. He has never seen such a sight before, a land fully covered in pearl white snow hence it takes his breath away. He marvels at the scenery but soon, he grows restless and gets bored of being locked in the heated palace playing cards with dukes and talking about politics all day long. There’s no one to stop him when he fetches a horse and goes out to explore the woods not caring about the warnings about the monsters in the mountains. According to him, these myths are nothing more than dark tales to tell the children before bed to keep them from wandering away. He takes only one brave enough man with him and they ride off on a particularly cold morning.

“He has the soul of a wild horse,” the engaged princess mutters watching him galloping farther and farther away from her window. She looks after him until the dot of his figure gets lost in the fog and distance. “He cannot be kept in a cage.”

Yet, they all are. They are basically chained up by jewels and the crown, she thinks bitterly as she plays with the golden ring on her fourth finger. The noble metal’s touch on her skin burns. It hurts.

Unaware of her doubts, Yoongi rides into the citrus daybreak. The rising Sun paints the snow in hues of rainbow. The melodious sounds of the awakening nature fills his ears and he dives more into the woods, even farther away from the beaten path. The more they go towards the mountains, the colder and darker the forest gets. The fresh snow falls heavily onto them.

“Maybe we should head back, your Highness,” the knight shouts over the wind’s whooshing but the prince pays no mind to him as his gaze sets on something particularly interesting in the snow. He squints harder to see the ice towers reaching skywards better behind the mountainside. There’s something spectacular about the way the sunlight gleams on the smooth surface, something enchanting and before he knows, he leads his horse closer despite the wild blizzard. A little more in and he can’t hear his knight’s protests anymore, he just goes straight ahead uncontrollably as if he was in hypnosis.

At one point even his horse gives up and he has to go on by himself. Forward, just a little more, a dulcet voice sings in his head mesmerizing him and he can’t say no even though he’s freezing. His dry lips have turned blue and even the velvet padding of his clothes and gloves can’t protect him against the cold. He falls onto his knees only a few feet away from the gorgeous ice palace that stands tall and majestic in the middle of the storm. His cheeks are stained pink, bitten by frost as snowflakes are resting on his lashes and between his onyx locks like stars decorating the night sky.

What kind of monster would live in such a pretty place? he faintly wonders recalling the commoners’ gossip about the mysteries of the mountains. He’s on guard, looking around curiously but weariness overwhelms his body with a newcoming force as the numbing cold settles in his bones is dragging him into a dreamless sleep.

“Are you lost, little prince?”

The luscious, dreamy tone he thinks he has heard before becomes one with the wind, slipping away through his stiff fingers. When he looks up in exhaustion, a lithe figure is approaching him. The young lady who looks like the embodiment of winter’s Norse goddess in her crystal-blue, skin tight dress which is almost nothing in this freezing cold but she doesn’t seem to be affected at all. Her French braided, platinum blonde hair is swept over her bare shoulder and when she’s close enough, Yoongi catches a sight of the necklace around her uncovered, swan neck. On the silver chain there’s a golden pendant with the engraving of a crocus, Arendelle’s official symbol and the realization hits the prince hard.

“Queen Elsa…” he sighs in awe wondering if maybe he’s lost his right mind or fainted somewhere along the way and now he’s dreaming. What would the runaway queen do in the coldest pits of the kingdom? Why would she hide here at all? Nonsense!

“Shh… aren’t you cold, dear?” the girl touches his jaw with a single finger but it’s enough to feel the cold creeping under his skin in full force. “I know how to make you warm,” she coos, voice sickly sweet and the smile on her ethereal face is the loveliest lie of all.

Yoongi is a smart and resourceful man yet he’s lured into her trap just like flies stuck into the web of spiders.

“Well then that would be really kind of you if you told me, m’lady,” he whispers with trembling lips as he shivers out of control. The weather here is something he has never experienced before, not even once during his trips to the North. The ice under his boots feels unbreakable, the snowflakes seems to rain down for ever and the piercing cold is freezing the blood in his veins, stealing the warmth away.

The queen’s smile widens like sunsets’ colours bleed and spread around the scenery: slowly and beautifully. Yet, there’s something deadly in the lovely curve of her lips he can’t quite decipher until he feels the soft pair of them touching his chapped, numb lips. His eyes bulge but he can’t move as if the cool air froze his mind, too. He mindlessly lets her devour his mouth in the middle of swirling snow and he just stands there, unmoving like a statue. The wind has woken, yet the prince doesn’t feel the chilly breeze it brings, only the honey taste of a winter kiss.

It reminds him of a particularly starry night in a sunny kingdom far far away and a girl with long Jasmine-hair, big doe eyes and pretty, shy smile. The memory of his almost mistake, a kiss that should have never happened. Yet, it didn’t feel any less wrong because it didn’t happen for real after all. Wishful thinking and daydreaming on restless nights doesn’t matter, right?

The memory triggers something in him and blinking, he feels as if he had woken up from a dream. He pushes her away immediately. He touches his lips in pure shock and looks at the girl in bewilderment, feeling ashamed and angry. A witch, she must be one, the thought crosses his mind but it’s already late: winter touched him in the most impossible ways.

His coal black hair has turned the lightest shade of blonde, almost white matching his equally pale skin. The cold isn’t colouring his cheeks anymore while his eyes are sparkling like silver with shiny gloss.

“Somebody has your heart already, am I right? Doesn’t matter, you won’t care soon anyway,” she says and moves so quickly like no human could. She locks their lips for the second time and the prince is overcome by eternal calmness. Suddenly, it feels so right like nothing before. He’s kissing back with the same fervor and only pulls back when he has to gasp for air. However, when with the newfound oxygen filling his lungs, he moves to close the gap between the two of them, eager to taste that sweet mint aroma on the adored lips again, Elsa pushes him away with a fake shy giggle.

“Patience, little prince. We have all the time in the world for ourselves. Don’t you want to see our kingdom?”

“Yeah, of course, my queen,” he nods mesmerized since he knows no other order that his beloved queen’s words. She flashes a satisfied smile and turns towards her ice residence. Yoongi follows her without a second thought, like a puppet tugged by strings.

Somewhere in the depth of the magical, snow and frost covered forest, an old tale is told, sang as a sad lullaby in memory of every cursed prince visiting its land.

 

“The first kiss is to shield him from the cold
The second kiss is to make him forget all
The third kiss would be the last in row
Taking his life away once and for all.”

 

The guest princess is alone in her chambers, shivering from cold even in front of the fireplace. She doesn’t like it here, not at all. She loves the warm touches of Sun on her skin and the sounds of the sandy beach kissed by the waves. She misses home but she would follow Yoongi anywhere and everywhere. Arendelle, the winter kingdom is no exception.

“The prince. He’s gone!” a panicky voice roars as he bangs on the palace’s gate. Looking out of her granite window, the princess sees the knight whom the prince has left the place with. He has two horses with him but no trace of Yoongi.

The princess gasps in fear and hurries down the stairs not caring if she steps on the edge of her uncomfortably thick skirt. She blames the stupid cold for that too.

“What happened? Where is he?” she enquires as soon as knight steps into the hall.

She’s eager to know more, unsatisfied with so little information. What on Earth does he means by he’s gone? He simply can’t be! He’s the crown prince of Daegumor, he will rule one day with her by his side. The burning flame of his energy cannot die out so flatly, so insignificantly lost in a foreign forest.

The knight bows his head and then stares straight into her eyes regretfully. His voice doesn’t waver when he answers:

“I am sorry, Your Highness. We came upon a snow storm in the depth of woods and I lost him when we were riding near the cursed land.”

The word cursed sends chills down her spine. Yoongi, a man so sure of himself and his principles, can never believe in witchcraft. He would call it trickery and it could be his undoing.

“Then what are you waiting for? Form a search team and bring him back!” the princess demands desperately, causing a scene in the huge hall of the palace. She doesn’t care about the pitiful glances on her or the fear in the eyes of knights, she just wants her fiancé back. Her Yoongi.

“With all due respect, but no man dares to go that close to that place since nobody came back from there,” the knight tells her tentatively, trying not to upset her even more. He fails even though he’s only telling the truth.

“It’s true,” Princess Anna agrees with a nod, her sad green eyes dull from grief and something nostalgic. Maybe she also tried to enter the land before but she couldn’t make it through the storm. Or what’s worse, maybe she lost somebody there, too.

“I don’t care,” the Daegumor princess almost screams. She can’t just sit back and wait. She can’t return to their kingdom without the heir. And without the other half of her heart.

She turns to the tired man who just returned with the bad news. “Take me until the point you can, and I will go alone from then.”

“But Princess…” a few people gasp while others are whispering, calling her crazy. Maybe she is, she doesn’t protest.

“I am sorry for troubling you, Your Highness, but I didn’t know Arendelle was full of cowards,” she says bitterly but not out of spite. She doesn’t want to offend the soon-to-be queen on purpose. She’s only being honest because that’s why she has to take actions herself. And if she fails, her spilled blood will be their fault. Not that she would hold grudges because she’s aware of the consequences but politics are just such menace things these days.

“We simply cannot lose more men to an impossible mission. But I am truly sorry to disappoint you and your country.” Anna says as sincere as ever. She will be a good queen, anybody can tell. She cares, but she cares for her own above all. Understandable but the older princess would rather die than to leave the prince behind. The Arendelle royal seems to suspect this as well because when she steps closer, her voice is soothing like goodbye words of a mother:

“Let me give you an advice. If I cannot stop you from going, then remember this: the cold takes away everything from you and it will numb what makes you human. There’s only one thing that can save you and your prince…” she whispers and points where her heart lies.

“Good luck!” she bids her farewell with a cautious smile, not sure if she should but the fiancée can’t hear her anyway over the wild thumps in her chest.

 

A memory comes back to the Daegumor princess as bright and vividly as morning sunrays cut through dark clouds. It’s just the two of them alone: she and the crown prince playing in the gardens as reckless children. Before they knew politics, before the world has ruined the pure goodness in their hearts, they were nothing more or less than childhood best friends. Friends that were separated because of studying abroad and other duties at the age of twelve. They haven’t seen each other and only exchanged long letters until the day of their engagement that was arranged without their accord or knowledge. Politics does not need the opinion of children, their parents said and they sat at the dining table in silence. What had been done couldn’t be undone anyway. Their protests would have only caused a scene. Proving them to be exactly what they were thought to be: kids.

“I will learn to love you like that,” the prince promised her that night, at the door of her chambers. He has always been a cute child but growing up he has become devilishly handsome and she couldn’t control her trembling, weak heart. She would have sworn he must heard it too when he kissed her on the cheek whispering goodnight into her skin. She blushed poppy red as she watched him walk away.

Like what? A lover? The thought echoed in her mind, stirring up the long lost puppy love buried deep in her heart. It has been years, they both came of age, ready for marriage by the laws. She wasn’t that little girl anymore who admired the prince’s light moles on his cheeks or that he seemed to know the answers for all her questions. Yet, she still caught herself staring at Yoongi’s sharp jaw, the chocolate of his eyes and his beautiful pianist fingers. She was still in awe whenever he talked in such a polite and clear tone, his intelligence shining. She has heard he excelled in all his classes, that he could speak multiple languages and he never lost in chess. However, it was his gentle touch and soft gaze that made her even more enamoured.

She was in love with her fiancé, wasn’t it the best thing? Yeah, it should have been. But in Yoongi’s eyes, she was nothing more but an old playmate, he didn’t even see her as a woman (like that, he said). So wasn’t it the worst thing after all?

 

She snaps out of it as her teeth chatter in the icy cold weather that’s creeping under her skin. She has way passed the cursed land’s edge, she’s vulnerably on her own with snow in her dark hair and tears in her eyes. She doesn’t need a map, nor a knight to accompany her any further. She is drawn by a heart that doesn’t even know it’s calling for hers.

The astonishing sight of the ice palace takes her breathe away. It’s glorious, parading in the colours of winter: blue walls and white hoarfrosts. Beautiful in a deadly way with its cutting sharp towers and icicles hanging down from everywhere. It isn’t as dark as they said in the rumours but it gives off an intimidating atmosphere, an eerie feeling piercing through flesh right up to the bone marrow, threatening to rip her apart.

“You shouldn’t be here.”

A raspy voice declares, tone raw and cold, body made of smoke, hiding in the shadows. But the princess doesn’t need to see him to know it’s him. She would recognize his voice out of thousands with her eyes closed.

“Yoongi!” she cries out, relieved. When it’s just the two of them, there’s no need to call each other so formally and in blind happiness, she enjoys the way the syllables of his name leave as she rushes to him, towards the source of his voice.

There’s snow and ice everywhere she looks, but no living creature comes her way, not a single soul. She’s turning around, walking up and down, not giving up, not even when she starts to think she has been hallucinating.

“Go away!” the voice speaks again, this time, much closer. When she turns, suddenly she’s facing with a boy looking eternally young: eyes as pale as the sky during snowfall and hair so silverish blonde as the full moon in all its glory. For a fleeting moment, she doesn’t recognize him and when she does, it leaves her stunned.

“Yoo… Yoongi, oh gods, what happened to you? Are you alright?” she asks in concern, fingers gently caressing his colourless face. He looks like a flawless statue and even feels as cold as marble. She can only be sure that he’s alive because his lips, the lightest shade of pink, are moving when he speaks:

“Leave, this is my last warning,” he speaks so rigidly as if she was merely a stranger, a burden. The passion once burning in his dark irises is gone by now, replaced by dull emptiness masking his striking features.

“Do… don’t you know who I am?” the princess stammers, caught off guard and wonders if he hit his head.

“I have no idea who you are and I absolutely don’t care. It has always been me and my Queen,” Yoongi answers with a wintry smile while shoving away her hand. His words burn like holding ice or looking into his fierce eyes for too long.

The princess has heard of the Queen, the ruler of this unforgiving wasteland. People seemed to fear her and her power, a magic unknown to mankind. A witch, an abomination, a monster, they whispered about her in the dark.

“Yoongi, we are engaged, please… Oh that hurts,” the girl hisses in pain when the prince grabs her wrist and yanks her closer harshly. His mouth is brushing against her right ear softly as he growls Don’t lie to me! and his grip on her is stronger than ever. She trembles.

The princess gets drunk on his sudden closeness, the way he pulls her into his aura like he never did before. Yoongi, a good friend, always so respectful of boundaries never held her like this no matter how much she wanted him to do.

“Yoongi, please! Don’t you remember? You are the Crown Prince of Daegumor. We need to go home,” she tries to talk some sense into him, holding on her belief that he isn’t a hopeless case, that the witch that the villagers are muttering about hasn’t poisoned his mind too much. It doesn’t seem to be working when he steps back and pushes her away.

“This is where I should be, nowhere else.”

She stumbles backwards but catches a hold of herself just in time. He’s only confused, she tells herself. A white lie that she wishes to believe.

“Please come with me… I won’t go without you. Come back to me,” she pleads as she takes his face into her hands and mistakenly thinks - she dares to hope - that he’s leaning into her touch for a moment.

“I warned you,” the prince grits his teeth, sounding cruel and weaves his hands roughly around her thin neck. His fiancée gasps for air desperately while begging for mercy with her huge, sad doe eyes.

He will kill me, she thinks briefly and it almost feels like salvation if she can’t have him anyway.

“Please… I love you,” she cries with the last ounce of energy she has, salty tears streaming down on her pale face onto his tightening grip of hands.

A world stops for an eternal moment and Yoongi lets her go abruptly. He blinks dumbfounded as if he woke up from a nightmare, chest heavy. He looks at his hands in disgust then at his fiancée who is busy with catching her breath so desperately. What has he done?

He can’t believe he got so lucky. A girl so blindingly beautiful like her loves him. Truly, with that gold heart of hers, because that’s the only way to break the curse. She saved him when his corrupted heart almost killed the one he loves the most. Oh because he does love her. So much! Even if it’s selfish of him and even if he doesn’t deserve such a bright soul.

Despite pushing her away, acting distant and formal, he has always loved her in the most innocent ways: dreaming of holding her hand and kissing her cheek. But meeting so many years later, after their engagement, a raw kind of hunger threatened to consume him in whole: the urgent need to devour her and to worship every inch of her body at the same time. No matter how apathetic he acted, his blood boiled every single time she accidentally touched him. He swore to himself he would protect her from everything but in the end, it’s him who hurt her the most.

“Dear…” he whispers her name, so lovely on his tongue, all over again like a mantra burying his face into her neck, tears spilling onto her snow coated dress. She soothe him with sweet words and lulling caresses on his back, telling him it’s okay because she has always known: being cold doesn’t mean you can’t have a warm heart.

 

The Snow Queen is watching the future King and Queen of Daegumor leave her land. She doesn’t stop them, why would she? There will always be clueless princes coming to her to ease the loneliness she’s sentenced to. They don’t call her kingdom cursed for nothing, she thinks bitterly, turning her back on them.

The snow continues to fall. Endlessly like tears.